Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton homeowners with limited garbage could pay lower fees

Edmonton homeowners with limited garbage could pay lower fees
Plan aims for three containers of trash per week
BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM APRIL 5, 2011 12:32 PM

EDMONTON - The city is studying a plan to cut fees for Edmonton homeowners who agree to limit the amount of garbage and recycling they put out.

Under the scheme, “low volume generators” who produce a maximum of three containers — trash and blue bags — for weekly collection year-round would see their monthly Epcor bill drop, according to a report discussed Tuesday.

The idea would encourage residents to reduce trash, allowing them to take excess amounts to Eco Stations and recycling depots, says the report to council’s utility committee.

“Council directed us to do that. They want us to develop a system that would see a financial benefit being realized by homeowners who produce very low volumes of waste,” said Roy Neehall, manager of waste management.

“In the long-term, hopefully we will be able to reduce the rate at which waste is generated in the growing city, to hopefully reduce … the rate of cost increase.”

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...720/story.html
etownboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
alex69
Banned

Let's be honest. This is just off-loading of a formerly public service. Because otherwise the blue-bag volume, which is after all supposedly recycled, would not be included in the limits. So it has nothing to do with encouraging conservation -- merely limiting the amount of volume the city takes it upon itself to remove.

Now, whether or not the off-loading is justified is a separate question. It very likely is justified. Perhaps all removal of garbage by the city should be scrapped. Let people dispose of their own trash, and they'll soon make less of it.

But I wish the mealy-mouthed marketeers were kept out of it. Feel-good nonsense.
alex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

It seems the city re-hash this idea every few years. Do they honestly want the guys who pick up the trash to stop and write up how many bags of garbage they have picked up at an address. Give them a break, the idea is garbage itself. If this was implemented be prepared to see more trash being dumped in ditches. I can also see people driving in back lanes and dumping their excess garbage bags on other people's property. I don't want to haul trash that can fit into a garbage bag to a facility of the cities choice. That's what our taxes are for.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Hoarders will love this idea.
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

The dumpster behind our condo is already packed full of the rest of the neighborhood's garbage. Looks like it's time to set up a camera and start reporting illegal dumping violations to 311.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

it's very rare for us to put out more than 3 bags (blue/garbage combined). we put a lot in the compost i guess.

i can't remember where it was, but growing up in another city, there was a limit of 3 bags. you would get either 'official' garbage bags or 'official' twist ties. 3 per week, or a set amount per year.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
It seems the city re-hash this idea every few years. Do they honestly want the guys who pick up the trash to stop and write up how many bags of garbage they have picked up at an address. Give them a break, the idea is garbage itself. If this was implemented be prepared to see more trash being dumped in ditches. I can also see people driving in back lanes and dumping their excess garbage bags on other people's property. I don't want to haul trash that can fit into a garbage bag to a facility of the cities choice. That's what our taxes are for.
I always here the claim that tag-a-bag or any program that attaches a cost to the amount of garbage you generate will lead to rampant dumping. Is there any evidence of this? Is St. Albert overrun with dumped garbage? Is San Francisco?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

^St. Albert is a lot smaller than Edmonton therefore the program of monitoring garbage bags will be smaller. Don't no about San Fran. This idea of charging people for their garbage is just another tax grab designed as something else. The city is trying to palm off a job that should fit squarely under their tax collection program.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
^St. Albert is a lot smaller than Edmonton therefore the program of monitoring garbage bags will be smaller. Don't no about San Fran. This idea of charging people for their garbage is just another tax grab designed as something else. The city is trying to palm off a job that should fit squarely under their tax collection program.
if it was a tax grab, wouldnt that mean it fits under the tax collection program?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
How can lowering the bills of people who put less garbage out amount to a tax grab? Nowhere is there a stated intent to raise the base rate for everyone else? In fact the stated intent is to slow the rate of cost increase.

It's also hard to have a tax grab on a service that's not funded from taxes. Waste collection is fee based on your Epcor bill. All fees collected for waste collection go to waste collection. They don't get to divert it elsewhere.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

If you read the article they want to lower the bill of people who do not generate a lot of trash. Now, on any given week I should imagine most of us know how much trash we make. Now, come spring cleaning time, Christmas and times when we have more trash who is going to keep track of it. You would have to pay someone (or two) clerks to administer the program. I really don't give a rats arse how much my neighbors or anyone else produces just don't bill me one week for more trash bags and the next week send me refund. A flat rate for everyone should be adequate for this. Anyway, does the city not sell the goods that we recycle. Does that not pay for part of the recycling program. As for taking your extra trash bags to the depot yourself, that's another cop out for the city. Sure it will reduce the rate of cost increases, I guess they think they will look good on that. Pass one more thing onto the taxpayer that is really a civic responsibility.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
nosheep
Partially Addicted to C2E

Myself I maybe put out 1 bag of garbage a month, if that. Everything is converted into fuels ( the carbon byproduct biochar is used to enrich soils for growing), or recycled so when I get that Epcor bill it really steams me up. Now with my dead dog I dunno but he ate all the morsals and food scraps so it never stank and the cats and other critters would never ripp into the garbage.

Last edited by nosheep; 05-04-2011 at 04:20 PM..
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I on any given week have one garbage bag and a half full blue box. Now, I am not so petty as to look at my neighbors and think they should be throwing out less. My composter gets used which cuts down on what I put in the garbage. Just take my garbage away please. Don't play games with how many bags you collect from me.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

How much is garbage collection for a typical house?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
nosheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
I don't have the bill with me but,

with a news search I get this " Is your toilet a trash can" I hope this is not what people will turn too, but this could be a problem that will be created with policy's like this.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosheep View Post
Quote:

with a news search I get this " Is your toilet a trash can" I hope this is not what people will turn too, but this could be a problem that will be created with policy's like this.
Do you know of a jurisdiction where this has been a problem?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
nosheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
Quote:
Quote:

No I don't it's just what came up on the internet search.

Curious, are you the same Paul Turnbull we race with, or related to any Turnbull who race around the Minot area?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Curious, are you the same Paul Turnbull we race with, or related to any Turnbull who race around the Minot area?
Nope, not me. What kind of racing?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
nosheep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, not me. What kind of racing?
IMCA Modifieds
http://www.dakotaclassicmodtour.com/