Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Air/Rail Links Edmonton continues to improve its ranking as a major transportation hub for northern Canada and beyond. New air routes, more cargo, Port Alberta, a major rail operations centre and the related infrastructure are all part of this increasingly critical component of the region’s economic growth. Contribute your ideas and comments here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Air/Rail Links

Old 29-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #1901
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^^hahaha indeed.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #1902
24karat
Addicted to C2E

EIA to AMS Schiphol would be an awesome addition. Hope it becomes a reality. We still need a direct to Asia connection, but I'm sure that's being worked on.
Old 29-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #1903
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Hope it doesn't hurt Icelandair
TheGreatestX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #1904
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

AC, bless its irrelevant pointy head didn't hurt FI this past summer. KLM won't either.

Alas, I hate Schipol. But then again, I wasn't flying KLM - maybe they'll have better gate positions (somewhere on the land side of the North Sea).
Old 29-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #1905
ctzn-Ed
Addicted to C2E

I assume *** Canada Edmonton/London will be officially cancel? Good for them for such great commerce skills.

I will demonstrate my commerce skills with Icelandair or KLM for future European destinations. both will get my service as i will alternate choices.
ctzn-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #1906
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Hope it doesn't hurt Icelandair
I'm positive there's enough room for both, YEG-Europe could probably fill three widebody routes even in the low season, and KLM and Icelandair will both have very clear niches:
  • Icelandair for price and an edge in virtually all the destinations they serve (except obviously Amsterdam)
  • KLM for better aircraft, Amsterdam itself, and virtually all the destinations Icelandair doesn't serve in Europe, West Asia, and Africa.

Nothing but good with this. Unless you're AC, again...

Still like the idea of LOT or Virgin as well though. They would also have clear niches (Eastern Europe and discount to London respectively.)
Old 29-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #1907
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/505497613614202880

Remixed ‏@Remixed87 3h
Quote:
@KLM When will you be announcing the non-stop to Edmonton?
Royal Dutch Airlines ‏@KLM
Quote:
@Remixed87 Once we have reviewed our flight schedule and decide to add Edmonton. You be the first to know!
Old 29-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #1908
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

https://twitter.com/KLM/status/505489167468752896

Mark W ‏@YEGeyes 6h
Quote:
@KLM would be amazing if Edmonton to Amsterdam nonstop was in the books!
Royal Dutch Airlines ‏@KLM
Quote:
@YEGeyes It sure would!
Old 29-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #1909
LO 044
Partially Addicted to C2E

I know there are a lot of AC haters on here but really it is in the best interest of the airport and the public to have the AC flight to LHR even if it is seasonal. One, it is competition therefore great pricing options for us. Two, if we can keep all three flights going other airlines will take note and take a chance on us. Three, the AC flight still provides some connecting passengers through YEG which isn't a bad thing.

The real question i have is will WestJet step up and provide connections through YEG to AMS or continue to funnel passengers through YYC to AMS. If it is the former than count that as positive point Four which will grow our passenger numbers even more.
LO 044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #1910
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Sorry LO - AC has loudly told Edmonton to go f**k itself.

They're done here - and in so many more ways than they imagined.

Doubt they can recover.

Last edited by McBoo; 29-08-2014 at 11:12 PM..
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #1911
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

I don't mind if AC keeps their little seasonal 767 charter service to LHR, just given a choice from any of BA, Virgin, Transat, Monarch, Thomas Cook, or Westjet of any of:
  • Year round
  • Aircraft less than 30 years old
  • Any substantial number of code shares beyond Heathrow

and I would choose/recommend them over AC. There is nothing irrational about declining to choose something with zero advantage.

Blind faith Air Canada lovers in Edmonton don't get it - AC's decision makers think there is only one international airport in Alberta.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #1912
LO 044

You guys are hilarious. Same old same old. AC still has full domestic flights so only some people apparently don't support AC. And apparently tons of people connect through YYC and couldn't give a crap about Fly Edmonton First. I highly doubt AC is done.

And yes feel free to take Air Transat to Europe in their sardine cans. Oh yeah they offer basically 0 service to YEG except for sun destinations, big deal. Thomas Cook gets the worst reviews.Their aircraft are less spacious then Air Transat's. WestJet, basically 0 overseas flights and yes i do know about Ireland and Hawaii and their multitude of Sun destinations. I'm sure someone will bring those up. You mention charter airlines yet half the airlines you mention are basically charter flights.

JayBee where do you think WestJet funnels most of their traffic, YYC onto WS, KL, BA and so on. You are in bizarro world. Blind faith is that WestJet will begin European flights from YEG but i do sincerely hope i am wrong and will be one of the first passengers on a YEG-Europe flight on WestJet.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #1913
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Right... Air Canada can't even make Edmonton-Kelowna work, a route WestJet offers up to 5 daily on. How about Victoria? Abbotsford? Comox? Kamloops?

How about transborder? They won't even touch YEG-LAS or YEG-PHX, even on Rouge.
Old 30-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #1914
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

^^I sincerely wish that AC would provide us with better service however I do realize they have logistical problems in providing it partly because of their collective bargaining agreement that prevents them from basing flight crews here and partly because of a lack of will.
So how long do you think the domestic flights will full if Edmontonians do not have to connect through one of their hubs. If YEG reaches it's goal of 10mil by 2020 will AC's domestic numbers still be the same as they are today? If so they will have to think about changing their strategy. It will be interesting to watch as they will need us more than we need them.
Old 30-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #1915
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

AC's negative perceptions in this YEG area stem from the 1990's. But the problem is that AC continues to use their 1990s argument about our area's inability to sustain service.

In the 1990s, our economy was in a bad shape. In fact, our population shrank in 1994. At the time, it made sense for AC to move more metal to YYC.

Today, AC keeps telling us our market is too small when they know it's not the truth and people aren't that dumb. I feel that they are in a dilemma...why give us flights to YOW, YQR and YXE for example if they don't care much about our market and why not only stick to their hubs only. Their customer retention strategy for YEG pax is non-existent.

In the 1990's, AC had a combined market share of 70%...Now it's around 30% despite us doubling in traffic. So you do the math.
JustYeggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #1916
chupa
Addicted to C2E

Agreed, the market will continue it's dramatic growth with or without AC, they may be cutting back in YEG but yet the market continues to grow at a rapid pace. Airlines are noticing and taking steps to move into untapped territory. For a airport that isn't actually a hub for a airline we are doing amazing.
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #1917
The Man From YEG
First One is Always Free

Default AC and YEG = Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football

My rule:

If it is non-stop without connecting in a AC hub or connector city, I might take it depending on schedule (e.g., YYZ, YOW, YUL). I recognize that the current federal regime permits them to revenue-share with UA ex-YEG so I am pleased with AA and DFW and will be on the first flight to LAX as the vast majority of my flying is to California.

It has been well in excess of a decade since I went ex-YYC.

As for Europe, FI via KEF is great!
The Man From YEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #1918
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupa View Post
Agreed, the market will continue it's dramatic growth with or without AC, they may be cutting back in YEG but yet the market continues to grow at a rapid pace. Airlines are noticing and taking steps to move into untapped territory. For a airport that isn't actually a hub for a airline we are doing amazing.
As Katz points out...2/3 of Alberta 5M Population will be in Edmonton and area and Northern Alberta within 20 years based on projections. This population will drive demand...and want non-stop flights.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #1919
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Not sure if it will be that much, but if you take away Calgary and area, Southern Alberta is not growing that fast. Daryl Katz is right about one thing, Edmonton and Northern Alberta will likely be growing faster than Calgary and Southern Alberta. Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray's airports will be a factor.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:09 AM   #1920
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Interesting report to read on O&D in AB.

http://www.tpr.alberta.ca/tourism/pr...StudyFinal.pdf

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 02-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #1921
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupa View Post
As Katz points out...2/3 of Alberta 5M Population will be in Edmonton and area and Northern Alberta within 20 years based on projections. This population will drive demand...and want non-stop flights.
At the present rate of growth Alberta's population will reach 5 million before 2020
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #1922
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

I don't know if the article has been posted already, but this is directly related to KLM looking to expand to markets like YEG:

Shares in European airlines drop after report claims Russia considering limiting airspace

"Shares in Finnair, which operates a lot of flights from Northern Europe to Asia, slumped 5.6 per cent. Air France-KLM fell 3.8 per cent while IAG, the owner of British Airways, saw a 2.9 per cent drop."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...950/story.html
Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #1923
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Would YEG ever be used as a "tech stop" for flights blocked from going over Russian airspace?
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #1924
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^ I don't think we'd be top of the list, but we'd be the best equipped in Canada, I suspect.

Taking one of the worst cases, Helsinki to Tokyo, detouring around both Russia and Ukraine to the South would add around 73% distance (via Bratislava and Dubai); while going around near the pole, Anchorage Alaska would add only 53%. YEG would make the detour 87% longer.

Illustration and calculations

Anchorage also has the advantage that they're already very accustomed to pit-stopping cargo flights.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #1925
LO 044

If non-Russian aligned governments had any kahunas (which they do not, see Ukraine news) then there would be no problem. Close European and North American airspace to any Russian airline and cut off all sales and parts/maintenance contracts for Russian airlines. Aeroflot could then enjoy flying an all Tu-204 and S-334 fleet.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #1926
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

More adjustments by UAL this time ORD down to 1.2X a day in January from almost 2x daily. Seems to be some good opportunity for DL, WS or AA to step in on the ORD (AA WS) route or increase MSP.
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #1927
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

So United is really chopping seats out of our market. That's too bad. But seriously...that's a lot of downsizing. EWR is gone, SFO is one daily in the winter, IAH will be seeing one ERJ, and now Chicago down to 1.2 per week.

I sure hope AA and DL smell the opportunity here. I have supported United over the last 4 to 5 years flying them exclusively. Time to rethink my loyalty now. I think AA is looking better and better, unless KL does announce YEG. That way, I will switch to DL and Skyteam.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #1928
Base

Interesting losing so much capacity with our strong transborder numbers.

Hopefully as mentioned this will bring more balance out of YEG between the 3 main alliances.
Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #1929
howie
Addicted to C2E

So AC gives pretty short shrift to the country's major growth city and then does this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...vice-1.2661616

WTFF!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #1930
Doppelganger

I'm wondering why United would be cutting flights out of Edmonton too. Either the flights are losing money, or they're generating less profit than United thinks it can earn if it were to deploy the same aircraft on other routes. It has to be one or the other, and then begs the question: why would profits not be as strong on flights out of Edmonton? Can any of it have to do with passenger mix - the proportion of seats sold to budget-conscious customers who purchase economy seats well in advance vs. the business traveller who typically purchases first-class or business class, often at the last minute at a hefty premium?

Or is it that Edmonton is the "toe of the sock" in the route network and it's just more expensive for an American airline to always have to overnight their crews here, etc?

Last edited by Doppelganger; 08-09-2014 at 12:34 PM..
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #1931
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

It probably has more to do with them restructuring their regional carriers (they are consolidating) and as well restructuring their hubs in the US. This was expected to some degree, we are seeing little change (minus the loss of EWR). Lots of opportunity for growth and good yields still in the YEG market.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #1932
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
So AC gives pretty short shrift to the country's major growth city and then does this:

WTFF!
I believe it was to one-up WestJet's Dublin service.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #1933
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I'm wondering why United would be cutting flights out of Edmonton too. Either the flights are losing money, or they're generating less profit than United thinks it can earn if it were to deploy the same aircraft on other routes. It has to be one or the other, and then begs the question: why would profits not be as strong on flights out of Edmonton? Can any of it have to do with passenger mix - the proportion of seats sold to budget-conscious customers who purchase economy seats well in advance vs. the business traveller who typically purchases first-class or business class, often at the last minute at a hefty premium?

Or is it that Edmonton is the "toe of the sock" in the route network and it's just more expensive for an American airline to always have to overnight their crews here, etc?
The Chicago reduction is for one month only.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #1934
marty

Quote:

WTFF!
To be fair, if AC could fly a A319 with 120 seats from YEG to London, they probably would.
marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #1935
Doppelganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentk View Post
It probably has more to do with them restructuring their regional carriers (they are consolidating) and as well restructuring their hubs in the US. This was expected to some degree, we are seeing little change (minus the loss of EWR). Lots of opportunity for growth and good yields still in the YEG market.
In that case, I'm assuming we should see some rebound coming back YEG's way once United gets all that sorted out.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #1936
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
Quote:

WTFF!
To be fair, if AC could fly a A319 with 120 seats from YEG to London, they probably would.
No doubt, but every time I'm on that route, the 767 is full.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #1937
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Flying out Friday, I'm on Icelandair and the other group is on AC. Both flights are full for upgrades.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #1938
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

I believe the point about the A320 was in regards to range, not capacity.

Point being, St. John's is actually closer to London than it is to Edmonton. Narrowbodies are always an easier hurdle.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #1939
accountingsucks

Quote:

Are landing fees also not part of the equation? What is YEG charging in landing fees relative to competing airports and what are they doing to drive business with lower fees?
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #1940
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Landing rates are low at EIA.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #1941
chupa
Addicted to C2E

http://corporate.flyeia.com/sites/de...eb_version.pdf
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #1942
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Default Southwest sees as many as 50 potential international markets

One country within range has not risen to the short list, and that’s Canada, Watterson said. By most of the measures listed above, Canada is attractive, but the Crown Rents Canadian airports must pay, and which they pass onto airlines through fees, would make it difficult to maintain Southwest’s low fares, he said.
http://m.atwonline.com/airlines/sout...tional-markets
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #1943
Doppelganger

^ Crown rents would affect all Canadian airports somewhat equally, would they not?

Back to the issue of United reducing service to YEG, I'm wondering if YEG is being affected disproportionately or if Vancouver, Calgary. etc are facing similar service reductions? If they are, that potentially could support the landing fees / crown rates argument (or United restructuring their regional carriers and hubs, for that matter), but if YEG is singled out disproportionately, it seems to me that something else must be driving their decision.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #1944
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Again, we don't need to make a big deal out of the one month reduction. It has to do with Chicago not Edmonton.

Quote:
UA ORD-YEG JAN 1.8>1.2
UA ORD-YVR FEB 3>2 MAR 4>3
UA ORD-YWG JAN 5>4
UA ORD-YYZ JAN 6>5
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #1945
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
^ Crown rents would affect all Canadian airports somewhat equally, would they not?

Back to the issue of United reducing service to YEG, I'm wondering if YEG is being affected disproportionately or if Vancouver, Calgary. etc are facing similar service reductions? If they are, that potentially could support the landing fees / crown rates argument (or United restructuring their regional carriers and hubs, for that matter), but if YEG is singled out disproportionately, it seems to me that something else must be driving their decision.

ground rents are based on a formula of land value and total passengers.
in 2013 airports paid following
YYZ - 128 million
YEG -15 million
YYC -28 million
YUL -44 million
YVR - 42 million
YOW -8 million

Why does Toronto have most expensive airport in North America, they have a cost of 128 million they have government before doing anything else like servicing debt etc.

I kinda think this whole thing is outdated and has led to crazy expensive domestic fares and hurts economy more than the money federal government gets but it won't go anywhere as long as flights are full.
Swarez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1946
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
One country within range has not risen to the short list, and that’s Canada, Watterson said. By most of the measures listed above, Canada is attractive, but the Crown Rents Canadian airports must pay, and which they pass onto airlines through fees, would make it difficult to maintain Southwest’s low fares, he said.
http://m.atwonline.com/airlines/sout...tional-markets
We pay like 50 bucks a ticket to the US government every time we fly over and 2-4 because of ground rents. If southwest wants to blame transborder cost, much of it is in there own government.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #1947
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Quote:

ground rents are based on a formula of land value and total passengers.
in 2013 airports paid following
YYZ - 128 million
YEG -15 million
YYC -28 million
YUL -44 million
YVR - 42 million
YOW -8 million

Why does Toronto have most expensive airport in North America, they have a cost of 128 million they have government before doing anything else like servicing debt etc.

I kinda think this whole thing is outdated and has led to crazy expensive domestic fares and hurts economy more than the money federal government gets but it won't go anywhere as long as flights are full.
These exorbitant fees are more detrimental to airports that are close to the American border where they have to compete. Our competition is at a similar disadvantage.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #1948
SP59
Addicted to C2E

Why is the government charging rent at all? How many times do taxpayers have to pay for these parcels of lands?
SP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #1949
noodle
Addicted to C2E

Given that the government maintains infrastructure needed for flight, it's not unreasonable for them to collect funds to maintain it from the users, versus the populace at all.

Gotta get money for Air Traffic Controllers from somewhere. Better the airlines & their customers than the general populace.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #1950
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Given that the government maintains infrastructure needed for flight, it's not unreasonable for them to collect funds to maintain it from the users, versus the populace at all.

Gotta get money for Air Traffic Controllers from somewhere. Better the airlines & their customers than the general populace.
Navcan bills separately. There really isn't a good reason to keep collecting such high fees other than the government likes the money.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #1951
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post

The populace does pay for it, there is a separate fee for the air traffic controllers etc Nav can, it's like 7.50 a flight. There is a separate fee for security. These used to be covered but over past number of years other fees have been brought in, and the airport rent is now all general revenue.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #1952
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

I think they even charge for the RCMP as well.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #1953
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
Why is the government charging rent at all? How many times do taxpayers have to pay for these parcels of lands?
Airports are privatized, the land they sit on is federally owned, government decided to lease the land out instead of selling it off. Make money every year at market rate instead of one time cash infusion back in 1990 when they were privatized.

They are not for profit companies, so no shareholders, government should just get rid of it all end of the day they won't since it's "avg 3 bucks a person per flight" have heard that in my meetings with governments.

As a business decision the government made the right call for themselves, but they hurt growth and add to cost of travel. Airports themselves build there own infrastructure on top of that, adding to there debt burden.

Just a FYI I've worked for airport authority, a consulting company (in aviation) now a logistics company. Know this world pretty well.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #1954
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
I think they even charge for the RCMP as well.
Federal government pays for RCMP - out of the security fees on your ticket -kinda.

How it works - there is a surplus for security after all security is paid for at federal level. (This comes from security fee on your ticket). The left over is put into general revenue. From this Ottawa pays for policing at airports, but no way to check cost to security fee since it comes from a pooled amount.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #1955
SP59
Addicted to C2E

^^ agreed. My point is that taxpayers paid for these lands decades ago and now we get to pay for them in perpetuity. The rent should be $1 per year. Just another poorly hidden tax.
SP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #1956
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Default Qantas expands Canadian access with WestJet deal

Under the codeshare, Qantas will link with WestJet flights in Honolulu and Los Angeles. Covered under the deal are WestJet’s routes from Honolulu to Vancouver, and from Los Angeles to Edmonton and
http://m.atwonline.com/airports-rout...s-westjet-deal
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #1957
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
^^ agreed. My point is that taxpayers paid for these lands decades ago and now we get to pay for them in perpetuity. The rent should be $1 per year. Just another poorly hidden tax.
I think that this is actually a good tax because it hits the wealthy and large corporations. Those who travel by air have the money to spend. It is a very progressive tax.

The US border airport competition is a challenge though...but those small airports will never be able to replace Canada's major metropolitan airports.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #1958
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
Quote:
I think that this is actually a good tax because it hits the wealthy and large corporations. Those who travel by air have the money to spend. It is a very progressive tax.

The US border airport competition is a challenge though...but those small airports will never be able to replace Canada's major metropolitan airports.
It's not actually a tax, it's a cost of doing business for the airport authorities, every company pays for the land or rents where it operates business. You buy something at a mall there is a cost associated with the rent for the store. That is what the government is doing, it has an asset and charges rent for it - that's not a tax, that's business.

If these were for profit companies (the airport authorities) I would agree with the government, charge what you can. But these are not for profit authorities that are tied to some degree to the municipalities they operate in. There are no shareholders all profits are put back into the airports, so just sell the land off so they can be more efficient in operations.

Airports are drivers of an economy, all ports are, government should be trying to make these cheaper for the public. There argument is if they lost this revenue source they would have to make it up elsewhere. And as long as flights are full (which they are) don't expect a major change from the government.

Now remember you are paying more in GST on your flights than you are in the airport rent. I also think it should be scrapped as well, but that's a different rant.
Old 13-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #1959
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Under the codeshare, Qantas will link with WestJet flights in Honolulu and Los Angeles. Covered under the deal are WestJet’s routes from Honolulu to Vancouver, and from Los Angeles to Edmonton and
MAP on Quantas shows WJ pushing passengers from Regina and Saskatoon through YYC...and likely any where else WJ flys. WJ not doing bugger all to grow service through YEG.
Old 13-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #1960
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
MAP on Quantas shows WJ pushing passengers from Regina and Saskatoon through YYC...and likely any where else WJ flys. WJ not doing bugger all to grow service through YEG.
I know, I know we need our own airline. In the mean time .....
Old 13-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #1961
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
a) Flights from Regina and Saskatoon don't arrive early enough to catch the YEG-LAX which departs at 8:45AM

b) Are you really going to make a big deal out of the very few passengers flying Saskatoon-Calgary-Los-Angeles-Sydney when most will be flying Saskatoon-Vancouver-Sydney?
Old 13-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #1962
Jarrod

Speaking of Regina. I was looking at flights in late October and early November on Air Canada and there are no nonstop flights on weekends. Looked a bit harder and the afternoon flight has been cancelled. There is only the morning departure Monday to Friday only. That's not good for me.
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #1963
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
Speaking of Regina. I was looking at flights in late October and early November on Air Canada and there are no nonstop flights on weekends. Looked a bit harder and the afternoon flight has been cancelled. There is only the morning departure Monday to Friday only. That's not good for me.
I see Westjet have 2 non-stops on Saturday...although the first one leaves rather late. Not sure why that is.
Old 13-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #1964
Jarrod

[QUOTE=EdmTrekker;626033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
I see Westjet have 2 non-stops on Saturday...although the first one leaves rather late. Not sure why that is.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm still one of the only people on this forum that still prefers Air Canada. I will see what happens.
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #1965
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
But it also means fewer Canadians travel internally, and fewer foreigners come to Canada (it's cheaper to fly to US), which hurts the tourism industry, which pays a lot of tax and offers a lot of service jobs for low skilled workers.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #1966
LO 044

Quote:
Quote:
What?!? I'm so surprised.
Old 14-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #1967
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
But it also means fewer Canadians travel internally, and fewer foreigners come to Canada (it's cheaper to fly to US), which hurts the tourism industry, which pays a lot of tax and offers a lot of service jobs for low skilled workers.
Tourism is just that... a low wage industry. Let's keep the focus on 'professional' industries, please. Tourism is really not worth chasing as a large financial head office would be, for example.
Old 14-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #1968
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Tourism is just that... a low wage industry. Let's keep the focus on 'professional' industries, please. Tourism is really not worth chasing as a large financial head office would be, for example.
OK, so you like taxing wealthy people and large corporations (ie your argument for tax on air fares), but you don't like helping people who you consider aren't professionals, who might make money from tourism, eg hotel construction, conference organizers, advertising/marketing executives, taxi drivers, rental car agencies (which buy a lot of Canadian manufactured autos), travel agents, hotel services, etc. Each to their own logic I guess, personally I think the airport taxes/charges damage our economies growth and the tax revenue that would generate (we can't have an economy of just your definition of professionals) for a quick buck.

Last edited by moahunter; 14-09-2014 at 11:50 AM..
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #1969
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

Hearing KLM YEG to AMS 3 times a week starting this November. Guessing there will be an announcement soon.
Old 14-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #1970
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
OK, so you like taxing wealthy people and large corporations (ie your argument for tax on air fares), but you don't like helping people who you consider aren't professionals, who might make money from tourism, eg hotel construction, conference organizers, advertising/marketing executives, taxi drivers, rental car agencies (which buy a lot of Canadian manufactured autos), travel agents, hotel services, etc. Each to their own logic I guess, personally I think the airport taxes/charges damage our economies growth and the tax revenue that would generate (we can't have an economy of just your definition of professionals) for a quick buck.
1. Yes I like taxing wealthy people and large corporations - IE a progressive tax system
2. I also like the idea of 'helping people'...rather silly you would suggest otherwise.
3. No need to encourage the development of low-wage sectors when we have plenty of high-wage industries. We are not a desperate tropical island.
4. I don't care about Canadian manufactured autos. I generally despise cars and their effects on cities.
5. There is nothing 'quick' about this tax. As has been pointed out it has been in place for twenty-ish years.
6. That's all.
Old 14-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #1971
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
Hearing KLM YEG to AMS 3 times a week starting this November. Guessing there will be an announcement soon.
Excellent new hub, option.

www.decl.org

Old 14-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #1972
TheGreatestX
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Wow less than 2 months notice? Reykjavik got 6 months, Kamloops got 10.
Old 14-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #1973
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

That short startup notice is unusual. I find it hard to believe but will be happy if that is the case.
Old 14-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #1974
Swarez99
First One is Always Free

Quote:
I can't imagine a November start date, slowest time for flights in this country - but never know.
Old 14-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #1975
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

^ If it's only 3 flights per week on an A330-200 it would only be slightly more seats to Europe than the market sustained perfectly well in all Novembers since 2006, and only around half of what we mystically justified during the 90's and 80's, and there's no way we have any less European traffic than we did in the 1990's.

Plus zero incentive for KLM not to fill the seats (unlike our previous airline.)

Not really far fetched.
Old 14-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #1976
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

If this comes to fruition, I think having a non star-alliance option for europe will be huge for YEG. KLM will respond to demand, unlike AC and partners, who have 'strategic' goals that tend to prevent the establishment of more overseas flights from YEG.
Old 14-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #1977
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Kind of like giving AC the finger isn't it?
Tried booking on line. Nothing there yet.
Old 14-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #1978
The Man From YEG
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Kind of like giving AC the finger isn't it?....
Back at ya' by EIAA.
The Man From YEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #1979
JayBee
Addicted to C2E

src
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #1980
Adam
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks View Post
Are landing fees also not part of the equation? What is YEG charging in landing fees relative to competing airports and what are they doing to drive business with lower fees?
I posted this several years ago in another thread: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ees#post304487

I thought initially that YEG had the highest landing fees because they charge a $50 minimum for all aircraft which meant it was cheaper to land my 172 at the much busier and better equipped YYC or YVR (at certain times of the day/night) but that's how they treat general aviation, I guess. When you add up all the costs for heavy metal, it's actually cheaper than the other two.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #1981
JustYeggin
Addicted to C2E

So looks like UAL is reducing ORD to one daily all January and February. Will be very difficult to get a decent flight to the east coast come winter 2015...unless you connect in YYZ or YYC. I am all but ready to ditch my United habit. What a joke.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #1982
Adam
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
So looks like UAL is reducing ORD to one daily all January and February. Will be very difficult to get a decent flight to the east coast come winter 2015...unless you connect in YYZ or YYC. I am all but ready to ditch my United habit. What a joke.
Fly Delta...MSP is a nice airport. Much preferred over ORD.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #1983
marty

I try to use MSP where I can but the schedule doesn't always work. Always nice to have more options. I have need to get to western new york once a month and it has been getting increasingly difficult to do so. Connecting in YYZ or YYC only adds another leg to an already minimum two legger. Very frustrated with narrowing options we have now.
marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 AM   #1984
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Denver down to 2x daily in spring now as well. Hopefully EIA is working with others to fill these voids.