Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
BayouBoy
First One is Always Free

Talking Moving to Edmonton Need help!

I am moving to Edmonton at the end of May and need housing for 6 months. I will be there with my wife and we have no clue where to begin our search. I will be working in the McCauley area of town and we will have a car while we are there. We are a young married couple (20-25 yrs old). We are looking for a place we can have our car and possibly a furnished place would be great. Looking for young people area of town!
BayouBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Welcome to Edmonton. Mcauley is considered "inner city" in Edmonton. There are a few communites close to Mcauley that are on the come up.

I would reccomend heavily Alberta Avenue. It has turned around immensly in the last 10 years, all to do with the community. It is becoming an arts district and is frequented by youth and old alike. Affordable. I think you would be a perfect fit!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

You're right next to downtown, and there are lots of options for apartment buildings in the MacKay Ave area of downtown (97 to 100 Ave between 101 and 107 St). Another option is Oliver (just west of downtown towards 124 Street north and south of Jasper Avenue).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
Municipal Man of Mystery
Partially Addicted to C2E

Oliver or downtown south of Jasper Ave would probably be your best bet. McCauley is considered a rough area with lots of sketchy people, so beware!
Municipal Man of Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
jdk13

furnished apartments are pretty hard to come by in this city, unless you have a pretty high budget.. most of the apartment housing near your work will be in downtown or oliver. i prefer oliver to downtown since it is a bit quieter with closer and more extensive access to park space, with a lot of the same amenities, but there are a lot of condo/apartment buildings downtown that may make your job walkable. there is also the portion of boyle street on jasper ave and around 80-90 streets that has a lot of older apartment buildings with great river views

where are you moving from? that may help us make comparisions
jdk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Cal76
Addicted to C2E

Oliver would be my first choice. DT is okay too as well as Queen Mary Park and Westmount/124 st area. Tons of apartments there. The Boyle St area has some decent bldgs but too close to the really sketchy places-so choose carefully (and feel free to use Google Streetview- an amazing tool !). Welcome to Edmonton, btw!
Cal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
murphys

I live in Oliver area and highly recommend it. It is blocks away from central downtown but close enough to walk downtown. It is a great community. Lots of young people your age group live around here because of many highrise and lowrise apartments. Restaurants, pubs, Safeway and many more amenities for you exist here. Good Luck and Welcome to Edmonton.
murphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
BayouBoy
First One is Always Free

Default Thank you

Thanks for all the help, we have a few places lined up to see and hopefully we will like one of them to sign on with. We are excited to get to Edmonton but will miss our Louisiana home and HEAT! haha!
BayouBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Not sure your budget, but if by 6 months you means six months of glorious summer and autumn - Riverdale! Repeat, Riverdale!