Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alberta (Provincial) Politics This forum is for all Alberta related conversations.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Alberta (Provincial) Politics

Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Default Danielle Smith takes lead on city issues.

she should not take that because she knew that she lost big time in both Edmonton and Calgary.

so what the fuss that she wanted this kind of issues ??

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...1?hub=Edmonton
Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

She is wondering why the city of Edmonton does not like her?

Duhh!
Rocket252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Mayor Mandel 1
Danielle Smith 0

Quote:
Smith admits she has work to do in the cities, where two-thirds of Alberta's population lives.

"We know we have a lot of work to do to build the trust with Edmonton council and with Edmontonians; that was very clear from the election results."

The MLA-elect and new official opposition leader says she has more common ground with Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi, and has asked him to help broker a peace summit with Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel.

"I'm open to pressing the reset button on my relationship with Mayor Mandel. I hope he is to. I've heard he's a reasonable guy; sometimes he gets a little hot under the collar at other levels of government, but I've talked to other politicians who've been at the receiving end of his blasts, and they've been able to move on from it, and I hope we can too."
Maybe Smith should think and study the issues before putting her foot in her mouth. Mandel was frustrated with Smith during the campaign because she didn't understand the process regarding the new Alberta Museum and City Centre Airport, among other Edmonton issues.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
bolo
Addicted to C2E

Nenshi is Muslim and can't speak to Mandel who's Jewish. She should ask a white person instead, it's only common sense.
bolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
stunkermann
Partially Addicted to C2E

any news article on daniell smith shud be best ignored. she's as pointless as the wind coming out of our butts
stunkermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo View Post
Nenshi is Muslim and can't speak to Mandel who's Jewish. She should ask a white person instead, it's only common sense.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

The party that never stops giving...

Unintended humor.

I just love reading WR quotes. Its like watching a political party in quicksand squirming.

So lets get this straight. When Danielle and her prejudiced representatives start spouting off about urban dwellars and blaming us for a divide in this province they somehow don't comprehend which party is creating the divide?

Maybe the divisive party?

WR got 18% of the popular vote in Edmonton. Way behind NDP and barely ahead of the liberals.

Odd time for Smith to want to repair bridges. We don't need Dani or her party for anything. What motivation would there possibly be for Mandel to even want to mend fences?

WR are entirely obsolete now in the cities and don't seem to realize it. But only sinking themselves further each week with their insular platitudes, hate, and blame.

Anger party.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

I've heard of municipal affairs as a government ministry. But what the heck is a "Cities Critic"?

Is it someone critical of cities? Shouldn't that job go to Gary Bikman?

Just a day after her party's election defeat, Smith said the Wildrose had to rethink their policies...as in revisit their position on climate change and reconsider conscience rights. This proves the Wildrose had no pulse on the moderate Albertan voters, especially urban dwellers.

For her to change party policies after the election is like putting the cart before the horse. Do you think Albertan voters will trust her now, just because she is the Wildrose's City Critic?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Quote:
I think Bolo's comments were meant as a spoof of what Leech said.
overoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I am glad to see cities have a greater voice in this government. Edmonton and Calgary (and surrounding areas) have about 65% of Alberta's population, and regional cities like Fort McMurray and Lethbridge have about another 10%. Also, smaller cities like Lacombe, Camrose and Brooks each have at least 10,000 population. For years (even decades) we've had to defer the rural voters while city needs have not been fully recognized.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Default What she really sounded like

I've heard he's a reasonable guy; sometimes he gets a little hot under the collar at other levels of government, but I've talked BEHIND HIS BACK to other politicians who've been at the receiving end of his blasts, and they've been able to move on from it, and I hope we HE can too."

danielle it's time to wipe the smarmy grin off and eat some crow.
Don't look for an intermediary to "patch up" your mistakes
You insulted another city and that city's leader, go in person and apologize

Last edited by Blueline; 02-05-2012 at 07:56 AM..
Blueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

For a smart girl she really blows it sometimes. This is how I would have said it:

"Mayor Mandel is passionate about his city and our policies weren't in line with Edmonton voters. I'd like to work with him to make sure our priorities match his and we can build a better future, together."

100% less dirty foot taste using my way.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
But would a "white" guy help with the City Center airport after all Mandel wants it to be very green, LEED gold or LEED platinum not white
sundance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Bill
Addicted to C2E

Smith will find it very difficult now to mend fences with Mandel. Rather than asking for Nenshi to phone on behalf of her, Smith should pick up the phone herself and sort this matter out.

I cannot understand how she will perform her "City Critic" job effectively if she cannot get Mandel's support.

Smith's shunning of Edmonton was indeed a huge mistake on her part, and she is only now beginning to realize what she has done.

Good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

The article says something about a video making the rounds that mocks rural Albertans. Has anyone seen this?

I think it's a bad idea to engage in that sort of thing, which essentially amounts to taking Bikman's bait. By no means did all of the rural ridings go Wildrose, and even if they did, that doesn't mean everyone in those ridings supports the party.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I guess the video in question was the Never Though I'd Vote PC video, from the campaign. Funny, though, in that video, they were applying the gun-toting stereotype to the PCs, while telling people to vote PC.

Last edited by overoceans; 02-05-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
For a smart girl she really blows it sometimes. This is how I would have said it:

"Mayor Mandel is passionate about his city and our policies weren't in line with Edmonton voters. I'd like to work with him to make sure our priorities match his and we can build a better future, together."

100% less dirty foot taste using my way.
Yeah, so many ways for her to effect better resolution. Its priceless that her comments likely burned more bridges.

She doesn't strike me as bright. Of course her understanding of Science, debate, and damage control fairly illuminates her shortcomings.
But this compounded by her reactive anger that results in displays of petty, ill advised, vindictive, illogical behavior which is well ingrained and I admit deeply amusing.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Maybe she should have been mending fences with Mandel before the election, not after.

More quotes from Chairman Smith on this:

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1696696

Quote:
Smith says the Wildrose positions that appeared to drive a wedge between Edmonton and the rest of the province ---- as her critics on city council charge --- came from the party's grass roots members.

"I have a lot of work to do with Mayor Mandel, I acknowledge that." said Smith.

Wedge issues for Edmonton include the museum, the redevelopment of 108th street, and biggest of all the City Centre Airport.
Yes, grassroots member, you are indeed a gun-toting simpleton if you don't see any value in museums.

Quote:
"I've got good relationships with many of the other council members including Linda Sloan and Tony Caterina."
Oh...you mean the Wildrose member on City Council who wanted to reopen scheduled service at YXD in the first place, right?

Quote:
Smith says there's a real 'cleavage' in rural and urban relationships, demonstrated in the campaign video “I never thought I’d vote PC.”
No, the cleavage was on your bus!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
"I've got good relationships with many of the other council members including Linda Sloan and Tony Caterina."
Why does it not surprise me that she is buddies with the Envision Edmonton supporters on council, who also happen to be two of Edmonton's most unpopular city council members outside of their own Ward?
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
stunkermann
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Quote:
Why does it not surprise me that she is buddies with the Envision Edmonton supporters on council, who also happen to be two of Edmonton's most unpopular city council members outside of their own Ward?
yeah, they should have put tony's face on that bus. fuhgeddaboudit!

It's time to weasel out these city airport supporters on the next round. And what about Dorkward the robotron?
stunkermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Dont get it twisted. Nobody in Tonys ward likes him either. We just cant be the #'s the bluehaired ukies vote in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
I've heard he's a reasonable guy; sometimes he gets a little hot under the collar at other levels of government, but I've talked BEHIND HIS BACK to other politicians who've been at the receiving end of his blasts, and they've been able to move on from it, and I hope we HE can too."

This. Daniel Smith is digging herself deeper with every comment. She will never get a seat in Edmonton.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Have we figured out what a "City Critic" is supposed to do? Have previous opposition government had them? Is she going to be critical of things that go on in the city (off to a good start, if that's the case), critical of cities themselves ("join us in the country!") or critical of how the government spends money in the cities? I'm so confused.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Get Mayor Nenshi to broker a meeting about why Danni didn't connect with Edmontonians?

W-O-W

Tells you everything you need to know.

You go girl .... back to High River, or Montana preferably.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #23
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Loved Mandel's response; "look us up in the white pages." Apparently the WR has done just that and contacted the mayor's office.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Of course, Smith has only heard these things second (or third) hand. Because, as it turns out, she’s never spoken with His Worship Stephen Mandel. Never. Not once.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...tton/#comments
Yup. The woman who wanted to be provincial premier, the opposition leader who’s appointed herself to be responsible for relationships with Edmonton and Calgary, has never once picked up the phone to call the mayor, or to request a meeting with him. Not during the months leading up to the election, when Smith was meeting with municipal leaders, First Nations chiefs, and rural opinion leaders across the province. Not during the campaign itself. And not since her election to the legislature, either.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
Loved Mandel's response; "look us up in the white pages." Apparently the WR has done just that and contacted the mayor's office.
Where did he say that?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

I heard the quote on CBC Radio.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #27
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Quote:
Where did he say that?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...del-peace.html

Quote:
Mandel responded Wednesday saying, "My number's in the phone book."

"Give us a call," he said.

"Ms. Smith has been leader of the Wildrose party for what, a year and a half?" he said. "We've never received a phone call in that period of time to my knowledge."
And the Wildrose are honestly mystified as to why there might be some animosity? They spent the better part of the election campaign taking a leak down the back of Mandel's neck and have never once contacted him. Why the hell would he have anything but a negative opinion of them?
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Quote:
Where did he say that?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...del-peace.html

Quote:
Mandel responded Wednesday saying, "My number's in the phone book."

"Give us a call," he said.

"Ms. Smith has been leader of the Wildrose party for what, a year and a half?" he said. "We've never received a phone call in that period of time to my knowledge."
And the Wildrose are honestly mystified as to why there might be some animosity? They spent the better part of the election campaign taking a leak down the back of Mandel's neck and have never once contacted him. Why the hell would he have anything but a negative opinion of them?
Same for any of us.

The WR may as well have been flying an anti-Edmonton flag and platform the last go round. As many have suggested clearly an attempt to kick Edmonton and see how many votes that can elicit around the province.

Clearly and fortunately the voters of this province (and not even in Calgary) are not interested in playing these petty regional games as much as the WR.

This strategy among many others backfired. Agreed that Mandel is playing this like a violin. Also note that Smith "gets her people" to phone the city for the first time. The Capital City.

The games the WR play..
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #29
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
... The WR may as well have been flying an anti-Edmonton flag and platform the last go round. ... Clearly and fortunately the voters of this province (and not even in Calgary) are not interested in playing these petty regional games as much as the WR.
Yep, apparently, "Elect us and we'll screw Edmonton" doesn't have the appeal some dinosaurs think.

Danni and the Dinosaurs - great name for a 50's garage band that can't hit a note for it's life.

Sorry, back on track ...gotta love Danni showing her new found love for Edmonton by backstabbing Mandel by trying to blame him him for voters in Red Deer, Lethbridge. Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie - well just about everywhere outside the bible belt not backing the extremist WR agenda.

Seriously pathetic ..what Calgary Chamber of Commerce clown gave you this advice?

Danni - people discovered who you really are. PR won't help.

Oh, that and trolling to use my/other quotes to increase your base won't really work either- though dinosaurs might think so.

Your base Danni -peaked, will soon be gone.

If I were you, rubber T*t girl, I'd be watching my back for Rob Anderson's knife - but hey, maybe if you just hate Edmonton a little bit more ................

<rant off>
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

I found Smiths comments about the Mayor very distasteful (her reference to his temper). Frankly it is inflammatory given she said she wanted to meet the Mayor and move forward...why be a bitc about it.... Hell will freeze over before I (or anyone I know and that includes "folk" in rural Alberta will support WR or "Danny". My "folks" ALL came from rural Alberta!! Her flippant attitude is really pissing more people off now than before she lost the election. Insult the Mayor...you insult me - a Citizen of this City.

Last edited by EdmTrekker; 02-05-2012 at 08:38 PM..
EdmTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
SP59
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Dont get it twisted. Nobody in Tonys ward likes him either. We just cant be the #'s the bluehaired ukies vote in.

Quote:

This. Daniel Smith is digging herself deeper with every comment. She will never get a seat in Edmonton.
Shouldn't there be a mod edit for this kind of racist attack?
SP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #32
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I found Smiths comments about the Mayor very distasteful (her reference to his temper). Frankly it is inflammatory given she said she wanted to meet the Mayor and move forward...why be a bitc about it.... Hell will freeze over before I (or anyone I know and that includes "folk" in rural Alberta will support WR or "Danny". My "folks" ALL came from rural Alberta!! Her flippant attitude is really pissing more people off now than before she lost the election. Insult the Mayor...you insult me - a Citizen of this City.
And that's how she rolls, a week after a crushing defeat (they were expecting a majority) she's back to her old habits, playing to her keep-the-muni-open base, such as it is, in town.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #33
ThomasH
Addicted to C2E

"says she has more common ground with Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi, and has asked him to help broker a peace summit with Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel."

A peace summit? Are Edmonton and the Wildrose Alliance now countries? How much will it cost? Daniel might as well get the United Nations involved...

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #34
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

If she can get a Muslim to broker peace with a Jew then she can work towards world peace!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Quote:
... The WR may as well have been flying an anti-Edmonton flag and platform the last go round. ... Clearly and fortunately the voters of this province (and not even in Calgary) are not interested in playing these petty regional games as much as the WR.
Yep, apparently, "Elect us and we'll screw Edmonton" doesn't have the appeal some dinosaurs think.

Danni and the Dinosaurs - great name for a 50's garage band that can't hit a note for it's life.

Sorry, back on track ...gotta love Danni showing her new found love for Edmonton by backstabbing Mandel by trying to blame him him for voters in Red Deer, Lethbridge. Fort McMurray, Grande Prairie - well just about everywhere outside the bible belt not backing the extremist WR agenda.

Seriously pathetic ..what Calgary Chamber of Commerce clown gave you this advice?

Danni - people discovered who you really are. PR won't help.

Oh, that and trolling to use my/other quotes to increase your base won't really work either- though dinosaurs might think so.

Your base Danni -peaked, will soon be gone.

If I were you, rubber T*t girl, I'd be watching my back for Rob Anderson's knife - but hey, maybe if you just hate Edmonton a little bit more ................

<rant off>
Pretty much. I said right away that even though they has 34% of the popular vote provincially that its going to erode from here. The 17seats will be the highwater mark for this inept party and especially if they retain Dani at the top.
Called the knives as well. Smith was putting the good spin on the results election night but how long can it be before hard questions are asked of her leadership?
Its a party of reactive malcontents who are never all that far from eating their own.
I wonder if any of them grab some common sense and just walk across the floor.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #36
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think Danielle Smith shouldn't involve a third party (Nenshi) to broker a deal with Mandel. She would do better by taking initiative, and apologizing to Stephen Mandel and the City of Edmonton.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #37
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

What a joke.. this self appointed city critic is certainly off to a good start!!!
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #38
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
UPDATE: A Wildrose communication representative has since said on Twitter: "Mayor should know the Nenshi quip was made in jest. The call has been made from our camp to his. No middle man."
Does this mean we should not take anything Dani Smith says seriously?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Oh I see. Hey it's OK everybody.

You can ignore Danielle Smith's comments altogether - she was just joking!
MrOilers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #40
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
Quote:
UPDATE: A Wildrose communication representative has since said on Twitter: "Mayor should know the Nenshi quip was made in jest. The call has been made from our camp to his. No middle man."
Does this mean we should not take anything Dani Smith says seriously?
Even in WR stated truths its misleading. Plus not too bright. After all thats gone down with Smith siding with another Edmonton Mayoral candidate and trying to contribute to the defeat of Mandel she doesn't think she owes him a direct phone call? Not one made by "our people" or "our camp".

Smith certainly is still involving middle men although its unclear why. I doubt Smith will even apologize or realize how severely she's stepped boundaries in Edmonton.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #41
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Seriously, can she screw this one up any worse? May as well leave a bag of flaming dog poop on his doorstep.

I truly believe she's a smart lady, but it's astounding how bad she buggered this one up. Now did she call the mayor directly, herself, or get one of her staffers to do it? Anything less than a personal call to try and get this trainwreck sorted out over a coffee or lunch would be ludicrous.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #42
richardW
Addicted to C2E

not to be a wildrose booster but from watching that press confrence when she mentioned that Nenshi brokering a deal idea, it was pretty obvious to me that it was a joke. probably not the best time to be joking about things like that though... terrible optics.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Really? When I watched her on the news, it was hard to tell if she was joking, especially with that plastic perma-smile of hers.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #44
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
not to be a wildrose booster but from watching that press confrence when she mentioned that Nenshi brokering a deal idea, it was pretty obvious to me that it was a joke. probably not the best time to be joking about things like that though... terrible optics.
Not sure how that was a joke. Pretty sure I don't share Smiths sense of humor and I'm glad of that. But for those of us that didn't get it what about that was funny?

Perhaps because the lack of respect for a veteran mayor annoys me I'm not seeing any glib in this. It seemed like a barb. Connected with references to Mandel being an angry person. Sounded like projection to me.

I got no take whatsoever that Smith was joking there.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #45
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

What crackerjack box do these dinsoaur dunderheads get thier strategy from?

Seriously - this is their idea of hitting the re-set button?

Maybe Danny meant replay not re-set.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #46
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

it smells of her passing the buck for sure... she should have stood up and said.. boy I really screwed this up and not equate the relationship between her and the city as a video game that can be "reset"

I'm cntrl + alt + del her existence from my operating system
Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #47
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Maybe she can "reset" climate change too!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #48
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
Seriously, can she screw this one up any worse? May as well leave a bag of flaming dog poop on his doorstep.

I truly believe she's a smart lady, but it's astounding how bad she buggered this one up. Now did she call the mayor directly, herself, or get one of her staffers to do it? Anything less than a personal call to try and get this trainwreck sorted out over a coffee or lunch would be ludicrous.
She's not buggering anything if she's maintaining Calgary & Rural vs. Edmonton split as her approach going forward, into the next election. She will never be seen genuinely advocating any of our issues, interactions will always be couched in little jokes, barbs, and tut-tut reminders that our civic concerns don't matter. Condescension spread thin, but always present.

That soundbite was for the supporters, wherever they may be. She's Tough On Edmonton.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Maybe she was kidding about the $300 rebate she was going to give everyone if elected as well. Buying the airport for $500,000,000? Hah, joke!
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #50
overoceans
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
Not sure how that was a joke. Pretty sure I don't share Smiths sense of humor and I'm glad of that. But for those of us that didn't get it what about that was funny?

Perhaps because the lack of respect for a veteran mayor annoys me I'm not seeing any glib in this. It seemed like a barb. Connected with references to Mandel being an angry person. Sounded like projection to me.

I got no take whatsoever that Smith was joking there.
Neither did I. She explicitly stated that she asked Nenshi to be a broker. You shouldn't make that type of comment about something that would already have taken place, if you're just joking.

But overall, I agree with the Edmontonian quoted at the end of the video: "He has no upside dealing with her. At all. Doesn't matter if he's got a good relationship or not. And he knows it."

I mean, okay, zero elected members to seventeen elected members is not totally unimpressive. But still, Smith is still just the leader of an opposition party that's nowhere near rivalling the government for seat numbers, and has little presence outside of one region, and zip in Edmonton. I'm not quite seeing the rationale for all this focus on her relationship with Mandel.

I almost get the impression that the media wishes Wildrose had won(because that would be a more interesting story), and is going through a "withdrawal" phase where they talk about Smith as if she were the premier.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #51
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by overoceans View Post

I almost get the impression that the media wishes Wildrose had won(because that would be a more interesting story), and is going through a "withdrawal" phase where they talk about Smith as if she were the premier.
This. And Im sure her husbands & hers connections in the media have NOTHING to do with this.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #52
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Her Gaffs make for great catchy news... unlike redfords sensible mandate....
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #53
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

I am also beginning to believe that she seriously thinks that she and her position are superior to that of "Our Man Mandel"
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #54
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

The Provincial gov't has bigger things to worry about than the day to day matters of the city....

next.. Danielle smith tells Edmonton how to shovel our sidewalks better... She really has no clue about what Alberta needs to be.

I hope Redford knocks these next few years out of the park and than runs for PM
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #55
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
... She's not buggering anything if she's maintaining Calgary & Rural vs. Edmonton split as her approach going forward, into the next election. She will never be seen genuinely advocating any of our issues, interactions will always be couched in little jokes, barbs, and tut-tut reminders that our civic concerns don't matter. Condescension spread thin, but always present.

That soundbite was for the supporters, wherever they may be. She's Tough On Edmonton.
Yep, sort of like the federal Libs had Quebec and Ontario locked up, who needed the west.

In fact, west bashing was seen to be good politics.

Hrrm, wonder how that's working out for the Libs?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #56
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Yep, sort of like the federal Libs had Quebec and Ontario locked up, who needed the west.

In fact, west bashing was seen to be good politics.

Hrrm, wonder how that's working out for the Libs?
Not so great, but it appears to be doing wonders for the NDP of late.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #57
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I am also beginning to believe that she seriously thinks that she and her position are superior to that of "Our Man Mandel"
I don't think so. She's not dumb. She just got whooped good in the election, and Edmonton and all of Northern Alberta soundly rejected her. She may have alienated the Edmonton base, but she was very clearly pandering to the Northern Alberta voters with airport talk, oilsands strategy, and the like.

She knows she's not superior to anybody at this point. Also, I'd argue there was never a Rural vs. Calgary vs. Edmonton pitting (or any combination thereof), but that she actually thought that Edmontonians were in favor of reducing spending. However, it's hard to have a handle on that when you never visit or campaign here, and all your "looooooove" for the city is anecdotal at best.

I don't know what her strategy is, but she needs to fire her strategy team and offload the major bozos that dragged the party into ultra conservative territory, because I don't think that's the party she truly wants to lead. She probably didn't want to give the appearance of a messy house during the election, but now she can do some cleaning and put a better foot forward into the future.