Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

Thumbs down Har-par investments ltd is a joke!

Where to begin? I lived in Creston House (7010 101 Ave NW Edmonton, Alberta) for a whopping 1 year. Within that year I dealt with a bug infestation (sow bugs, beetles etc), I flooded not once, not twice, not three times, BUT FOUR TIMES. One of them being with human fecal matter. All of these issues gone completely unnoticed or dealt with in the "cheapest" way possible. My bug problem? Spray for bed bugs...I don't have those...My flood problem? Oh just dry the floor. Because water damage just goes away right? The floods did not help my bug problem being that sow bugs and beetles love the moisture. So my place was perfect for them. When my neighbours across the hall flooded it got into my place. It went through the walls into my living room. How do you dry the interior part of a wall? In Har-Pars eyes...you don't. (Please keep in mind I have not been the only one who experienced this misfortune...my neighbours as well as others in other complexes have dealt with similar issues including BED BUGS and BLACK MOULD). When I'd approach my 1 of 3 landlords I had in the one year I lived there, they were very unresponsive and quite frankly thick-skulled. Upon my inspection for my move out my landlord (not the one who did the initial walkthrough) nit-picked every single thing. (understandably) BUT, when I moved in it was very short notice so they did not paint when I moved in (previous tenants were smokers for 4 years in there..so the walls are yellow-stained). I was informed that the walls were dirty and I did not clean them (but i did...they are yellow from smoke...i can't get rid of that). So i cannot get my deposit back. She wouldn't even look me in the eyes and listen to me when I was trying to explain to her why they were like that. She kept cutting me off and telling me she was reporting this and that when everything was there when I moved in. I am a very clean person and this place was as clean as it was going to get. In the end I was/am still completely distraught and I feel completely violated. I was robbed of a sense of safety, security, and the feeling of home. This company is after your money they don't give two craps about you. This building was 50 years old, which is perfectly fine if you maintain the place. This place hasn't seen a reno in 50 years. When dealing with management and maintenance they did NOTHING. Every time I hang up the phone I am even more agitated. To say the least, I lost a reference and a nice chunk of my money.

This hasn't even scratched the surface of my NIGHTMARE living under HAR-PAR INVESTMENTS. Please visit their website for full listings of all their properties so you can AVOID living in a complete and utter nightmare.

I am making it my mission to save individuals and families from this horrible reality. I will not stop until Har-Par has bit the dust!
Salem (14-09-2013)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Have you contacted the tenant advisory board?

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

calling today!

thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

You can also call 311 if there is a health/safety concern.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
You can also call 311 if there is a health/safety concern.
I did call them and told them my situation. they directed me to the tenant advisory board.

my main thing is i want to expose this company. i want to save people from having to go through this as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

If, the property is ill kept, unsafe or so on... have someone call the city who is not living in the property. The city has powers to deal or annoy the land owner.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

Thank you for your help! I am no longer living there as of yesterday, could I call?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

if the site is unsightly/unsafe anyone can..

I am talking about broken windows, unkept grass, sidewalks that aren't shoveled, graphittie
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

awesome thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Dusty Bear
Addicted to C2E

Alberta Health Services deals with health and housing standards for rental properties.

http://tenant.landlordandtenant.org/...gfaqs_rep.aspx

I don't know what number to call, though.
Dusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

Default Har Par veteran

I am in agreement with everything you said, although my experience with Har Par was somewhat different (but equally vile.)
Of the many ludicrous accusations that came my way, the most gobsmackingly stupid one was being accused of 'sword-play' in my 70's circa, harvest gold fridge. I should have moved out then (and taken my sword with me), however many of their properties are in prime locations, and they own hundreds of rentals in Edmonton...so it's not easy.
The agencies in town who deal with rental disputes can only proceed if you lodge a formal complaint...at a cost of $75. Although I found them helpful, ultimately, the only solution (short of public expose), is to not rent properties from this slum landlord.
You have my sympathy.
Magpiefriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

i'm sorry sword play?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

Yes. My freezer broke and they wouldn't replace it because the maintenance flunky reported that there was evidence of 'sword play' in this ancient refridgerator. I lived out of a cooler on my balcony for three weeks, until the building manager (recently hired) intervened and got me another fridge.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

How can you have "sword play" in a freezer?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

And did you own swords?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

Anything is possible in Liarsville.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

And no, I don't own swords, nor any sort of weaponry, medieval or otherwise.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

^ see that just makes it even funnier in hindsight of course... I am sure it was very frustrating at the time...
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Did you actually get "sword play" in writing?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

Yes, my entire experience with Har-Par is as tragic as it is humourously absurd. Now. I am so glad I'm out. Novel pending...
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

No. Sadly. It was communicated to me verbally, as was the information that they saw 'no damage' to my apartment after a flood, in spite of the fact that there was plaster falling off my walls.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

If it's verbal, I'm thinking "sword play" may be a miscommunication of some technical jargon. But in any case, it's always a good idea to get these things in writing, especially for legal purposes.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #23
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

No, it wasn't a miscommunication of technical jargon. I mean, sword play means exactly that...which is what makes this whole thing ludicrous. Obviously, they were referring to the wear and tear on the 30 year old freezer, which was normal, but this 'sword play' excuse...at least temporarily...absolved them from replacing it. As I mentioned, thank god the kindly building manager finally had a look herself, and finding no evidence of sword play, had another fridge (old, but not as old) delivered to my apartment.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
azzey
Partially Addicted to C2E

Was the rent reasonable at least?

It astounds me that in a country and city as great as ours we can allow this to happen.
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

where i lived 1 bedroom was 795$ a month which was a great price for the neighbourhood! but not worth it! rent went up to 855$ for 1 bed and $950 for 2 bed. although they do advertise higher in some ads and some of their other complexes are more expensive.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #26
lat
Addicted to C2E

Here's another thread on these guys from a while ago... bit of a trend here.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=19769
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #27
Cal76
Addicted to C2E

Good thing to expose slumlords just make sure that you don't get sued by them.
I'll advise everyone (who's looking for a rental place in central Edmonton) to avoid them.
Btw, the ppl running the individual bldgs are Bldg Managers, not landlords.
Cal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #28
IHateHarParInvestments
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
Good thing to expose slumlords just make sure that you don't get sued by them.
I'll advise everyone (who's looking for a rental place in central Edmonton) to avoid them.
Btw, the ppl running the individual bldgs are Bldg Managers, not landlords.

They call themselves landlords. So does the management company. But really, I don't think thats the issue here
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
rockyv
First One is Always Free

True story - I was looking for a place a few years ago, and I was shown one of their apartments. The apartment looked nice and everything, but the balcony had a out dead crow sprawled out on it. Can you say bad omen?
rockyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
Magpiefriendly
First One is Always Free

Ha! Poor crow. Lucky you.
Old 16-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
Salem
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHarParInvestments View Post
Where to begin? I lived in Creston House (7010 101 Ave NW Edmonton, Alberta) for a whopping 1 year. Within that year I dealt with a bug infestation (sow bugs, beetles etc), I flooded not once, not twice, not three times, BUT FOUR TIMES. One of them being with human fecal matter. All of these issues gone completely unnoticed or dealt with in the "cheapest" way possible. My bug problem? Spray for bed bugs...I don't have those...My flood problem? Oh just dry the floor. Because water damage just goes away right? The floods did not help my bug problem being that sow bugs and beetles love the moisture. So my place was perfect for them. When my neighbours across the hall flooded it got into my place. It went through the walls into my living room. How do you dry the interior part of a wall? In Har-Pars eyes...you don't. (Please keep in mind I have not been the only one who experienced this misfortune...my neighbours as well as others in other complexes have dealt with similar issues including BED BUGS and BLACK MOULD). When I'd approach my 1 of 3 landlords I had in the one year I lived there, they were very unresponsive and quite frankly thick-skulled. Upon my inspection for my move out my landlord (not the one who did the initial walkthrough) nit-picked every single thing. (understandably) BUT, when I moved in it was very short notice so they did not paint when I moved in (previous tenants were smokers for 4 years in there..so the walls are yellow-stained). I was informed that the walls were dirty and I did not clean them (but i did...they are yellow from smoke...i can't get rid of that). So i cannot get my deposit back. She wouldn't even look me in the eyes and listen to me when I was trying to explain to her why they were like that. She kept cutting me off and telling me she was reporting this and that when everything was there when I moved in. I am a very clean person and this place was as clean as it was going to get. In the end I was/am still completely distraught and I feel completely violated. I was robbed of a sense of safety, security, and the feeling of home. This company is after your money they don't give two craps about you. This building was 50 years old, which is perfectly fine if you maintain the place. This place hasn't seen a reno in 50 years. When dealing with management and maintenance they did NOTHING. Every time I hang up the phone I am even more agitated. To say the least, I lost a reference and a nice chunk of my money.

This hasn't even scratched the surface of my NIGHTMARE living under HAR-PAR INVESTMENTS. Please visit their website for full listings of all their properties so you can AVOID living in a complete and utter nightmare.

I am making it my mission to save individuals and families from this horrible reality. I will not stop until Har-Par has bit the dust!
I am going through the same problem, my toilet did the same thing flooded too. I dried the floor really good. The toilet leaked water five times almost the fifth time, it clogged and nothing clogged it. I never through anything down that was not safe to through down. well they charged me to fix that long story. I went to the Alberta Advisory board and the Health board etc,they both said nope do not pay. So I went to the lawyers they told me to go to, I did and I do not have to pay that bill. But way before my toilet issue there was another one. The laundry room was flooded and its falling apart. It will grow mold on the roof of the laundry room. Their is one yellow stain, THe upper floor toilet broke and started leaking and flooded the apartment beneath it really bad it went into the laundry room. Where there was floods their will be mold. I almost got a health inspector in, I believe i should do it. they are free to call. free to do the inspection check. Due to Im moving OUt I do not care. But they do have bugs and exact bugs you had too. People who lived in my place five years ago, before I moved in used to let people come in through the windows and sleep in the apartments. When I came in people were knocking on my door to be let in to sleep thinking my apartment was a free hotel. I said nope and got a small alarm that I will have to call for help myself if anyone were to break in. THey had a broken roof in the bathroom someone punched a hole in it and covered it with a piece of plywood. it started to fall down off the roof about few months back, the ensuite manager told me I had to pay for it with my own money to be fixed.It was there before I moved in. THe guy did not show up. But that was there before I moved in. I do not treat my apartment bad. I take good care of it. I do not feel safe. THey used to allow animals and the entire building had cats. they did have no pets on their leases. But they said cats are ok, the land lord was nice when i came here. she was the only reason i came in here. I liked her she was so nice, Plus she had cats. two of them, everyone had a cat.The old landlord moved out and a new one moved in. Just recently they started telling me to get rid of my cats.I said no they cannot make me get rid of my cats they are the only thing I have that keeps me looking after them they keep me responsible and happy. THis was before I decided to move out. THey give notices for inspection all they did was check the taps. then left. they are rude. I'm going through this now, I'm thanking god that I am moving out. Har-par Investments are nice when your first moving in. This Building is unsafe people break into it all the time. People ring my door buzzer that is hooked up to my phone. I hung up a couple of times and they got mad and broke the mail box window. people have been breaking into the second floor. SOmeone told me. THey have mice bugs etc.
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote