Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Family Friendly Neighbourhood Redevelopment On the behest of the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues, this forum will discuss the issues surrounding redevelopment of mature areas. More descriptors to come.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Family Friendly Neighbourhood Redevelopment

Old 01-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Default Block parties are community-building events in Edmonton

Block parties are community-building events in Edmonton

BY CHRIS ZDEB, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM MAY 1, 2012 7:29 AM

Potluck appetizers or main dishes are key elements in a successful block party.
EDMONTON -- June 20th is the first day of summer, but the season doesn’t officially kick off on one Edmonton city block until the blues band plays, people eat and dance, and kids run and jump in the street. It’s been that way since 2001 when neighbours living on 84th Avenue, between 97th and 98th Streets, organized their first BP (block party).

They’re about to do it again for the 12th time.

“We always have it the weekend closest to the summer solstice,” says Margaret Macpherson, one of the organizers. People really look forward to it after hibernating all winter, she adds.

Charlie Letourneau, her next-door neighbour explains, “We spend six months of the year scurrying from our houses to our vehicles and driving away. You don’t get much of a chance to chat it up with the neighbours because it’s just so darn cold outside.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...682/story.html

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

I love block parties
Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
NGlenora
First One is Always Free

When I was growing up in St Albert we used to have block parties not every summer but I think it was every other summer, they were a lot of fun
NGlenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Growing up on a cul-de-sac in Ottawa, we had 2-3 a year... everyone knew everyone and then some. It was quite a magical time.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

Mark yer calendars! - Al Fresco 104 Street Block Party & Fundraiser, June 9:

http://4thstpromenade.ca/events/al-fresco-block-party/
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Recently found out CoE provides free block party kits to community leagues. So many things the city does right, and its citizens don't utilize.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

I would love to have one in Rundle
Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

... what are the kits?! lol.. I have seen some of these kits.. they aren't exactly the amazing item one may think they are ;-P
Old 29-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Reminder folks! Get ready for a jam-packed Saturday June 9:

Quote:
Author: Ed Fong
The 104th-Street community is thrilled to announce Saturday, June 9 as the date of our annual Al Fresco block party and fundraiser. Mark your calendars and save the date for an action packed day of fun and excitement in the downtown core!
We are feverishly working on event programming to bring you a fabulous day that includes:

- The Downtown Edmonton Community League Pancake Breakfast running from 8 to 11 AM
- Edmonton Downtown Farmers’ Market operating between 9 AM to 3 PM
- A “Kids Zone”, run in cooperation with the City of Edmonton, opening from 4 to 8 PM
- The deVine Wines & Spirits and Yellowhead Brewery “Tasting Lot” and salon serving between 12 noon and 8 PM. You will have an opportunity to sample 90 different types of wine, beer and spirits in this urban enclave!
- Extended patios from your favorite restaurants and wine bars on 104th-St.
- Music from a lineup of great DJs and stage performers
- Fashion show and a drag show brought to you by some of Edmonton’s most fabulous Queens
- An armada of food trucks coming together for another, much anticipated “What the Truck” event
- Street food from some of Edmonton’s hippest and most fun-filled restaurants

http://devinewines.ca/wordpress/?p=930
There is a silent auction to support the Zebra Child Protection Centre. You can currently bid. There are some sweet items/packages that are offered:

http://devinewines.ca/eventAuctions/...o_auction.html

Last edited by North Guy66; 29-05-2012 at 01:24 AM..
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Best day to be downtown all year.

www.decl.org

Old 30-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

That is a busy day dt, with the Al Fresco block party and Edmonton Pride Parade and Celebration on the Square. Thank good for transit/walking. Does anyone know where the food trucks will be?
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^Best day of the year to be downtown hands down. It makes you feel like you are in NYC or the like.

Around 104st and Churchill is my guess.

www.decl.org

Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Pastaboy
First One is Always Free

Default CoE Burning The Cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
Recently found out CoE provides free block party kits to community leagues. So many things the city does right, and its citizens don't utilize.

This 'idea' came out a few years ago and it stupified me. How the *#$* does someone in the city come up with the idea in the first place. I think they obviously have too much man power in whatever department this idiotic idea came from.

In my old neighbourhood a bunch of us started talking and decided to hold a cul de sac garage sale on the same weekend. Then we decided to have a block party afterwards. We shared in the duties of putting out signage, for the garage sale, we wanted the road closed to traffic so someone contacted the city and found out what we needed. Someone voluntered to collect signatures for the petition and a contribution for the fee for the road clousure.

We repeated this for well over 15 years (and it is still going one), while the garage sale portion petered off after a few years the party is always held in June. NOBODY had to wait for a 'kit' from the city to tell us what to do.
Pastaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

Considering the "kit" is most likely a few documents including a list of required fees, permits and permission along with the forms needed to apply for them and perhaps a list of suggestions/feedback from previous events I don't see that this would have taken a lot of time or money to put together. Considering the grief a simple package like this could prevent I would say the time/expense is more than justified.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Pastaboy
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
Considering the "kit" is most likely a few documents including a list of required fees, permits and permission along with the forms needed to apply for them and perhaps a list of suggestions/feedback from previous events I don't see that this would have taken a lot of time or money to put together. Considering the grief a simple package like this could prevent I would say the time/expense is more than justified.
It is this kind of thinking that gets us all into a financial bind. Firstly, ANYTHING the CoE touches is going to cost a minimum of 5 figures. Secondly, as I stated before it is possible to do it YOURSELF, why does society think that the government needs to be there at every step of the journey? Do you expect them to install signage in the new public bathrooms on the proper way to wipe oneself?

We have to be accountable to ourselves as citizens and human beings and stop looking for a handout. Sure it's only 25,000 here and 15,000 there however soon we are looking at ways to balance the budget by cutting services and then there is an uproar and then yup you guessed it a higher tax increase.

When our group of neighbours got together for the first block party 15 years ago it was before the city had a ton of information online, we figured it out, and it didn't cost you a nickle.

Just for giggles I googled it and amoungst other gems I found thie section:

Quote:
Activities During the Event

• Visit and eat.
  • Games (some organized, some that kids can plan themselves).
  • Introduce people and find out where they live.
  • Encourage people to share their talents, e.g. musicians, magicians.
For crying out loud if you need the city to tell you what to do at a party then you are likely too stupid to procreate and should get yourself to a sterilization clinic stat! AND if you are the supervisor who saw it fit to sign off one such 'information' then you ought to resign your post and be thankful you are not going to be sued for wasting taxpayer dollars.
Pastaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Jesus, the things people get bent out of shape over...
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

Congradulations, you are a special flower. Most people are not as self motivated and many are intimidated by the bureaucracy. I would also suspect that system was easier 15 years ago.
Having worked in both the public and private sector in various client facing areas, the minimal costs of producing such a package will more than pay for themselves in the reduction in the amount of time spent dealing of misrouted requests/forms, complaints and time spent dealing with angry or otherwise unhappy customers. Just because YOU can not see the ROI doesnt mean it isnt there.
Got anything to add that isn't a partisan rant about how the city operates? Or do you just want the kids off your lawn now?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

Al Fresco Block Party Silent Auction Items - http://devinewines.ca/eventAuctions/...o_auction.html

All proceeds go to Zebra Child Protection Centre!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Some really interesting items.

www.decl.org