Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 26-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
24karat
Addicted to C2E

Default Mail boxes

It's getting tougher to locate a mail box if you wish to mail a letter. They used to be
on a corner in most neighbourhoods, but those boxes were removed, leaving only boxes outside of drug stores that had a post office counter in the store. Now, it seems in order to mail a letter, one must go into the stores to the post office in order to find a mail slot.

As with a lot of other services, it's getting more expensive to mail a letter, while the convenience slowly disappears.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I just read that New Zealand post, is suggesting reducing mail deliveries to only 3 days a week to try and make economic. Like it or not, service is going to decline significantly over the next few years, either that, or costs will increase. Fewer and fewer people using post, means one or the other.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...-delivery-days
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I think I read somewhere that Canada Post did remove a fair amount of post office boxes due to lack of use. The area I live in has super mail boxes, no door to door delivery. These super mail boxes have slots to mail a letter so in our area there are boxes just about every two blocks. My beef with no door to door mail delivery is that I pay the same for a stamp as people who have door to door delivery. As for the cost of stamps, well to be able to send something all the way across the country for less than a $1 is still a bargain. Parcels etc. are a different matter.
Old 26-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
azzey
Partially Addicted to C2E

^ It's too bad that they won't pick up mail when doing door-to-door delivery, as there are no mailboxes within a six block radius from me. Luckily there is one on my way to work or I'd have to drive to the post office.
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

I find it strange that in my area they replaced the mailboxes, with the grey carrier distribution boxes. Could they not add a slot to these distribution boxes and pick up the mail at the same time? Or does this violate some union policy??

Delivering every second day seems like a reasonable solution to cost reduction. I find mail currently takes 3 days really whats one more day? If its urgent there is always email.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

i am pretty sure that our posty in westmount only delivers every second day already
Old 26-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
azzey

Well I rarely get mail every day anyways, mostly just a huge stack of flyers...
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Paper mail is all but dead. Canada Post will ship nothing but packages over "x" size in 5-10 years mark my words.
Old 28-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Canada Post makes more money off "junk mail" than they do off mail that we send through them.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
bobinedmonton
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Paper mail is all but dead. Canada Post will ship nothing but packages over "x" size in 5-10 years mark my words.
Apparently, your local mail carrier will soon be carrying both packages and letter mail.
Old 29-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
knowitall

In the newer areas, every "super mailbox" has a slot were people can drop off mail. IMO Canada Post needs to do away with door-to-door delivery and place these boxes in all the older neighbourhoods. Door-to-door deliver just doesn't make sense anymore with the decline in snail mail and the increased use of couriers.
knowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
SP59
Addicted to C2E

I receive door-to-door service and I agree with you. Door-to-door is a waste of money.
SP59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #13
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I guess in the not too distant future Glenora will be going over to super mailboxes. They are talking about putting up community notice boards along side these mailbox areas to make them more like information and meeting points. They also get a say in where they want them and how they will blend in with the area. Unlike the other millions of Canadians who moved into an area and had no input. There mail boxes for cripes sake. Why make a song and dance about the simple thing of picking up your mail. Next thing will be asking the post office to pay for a Starbucks next to these boxes.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...385/story.html
Old 22-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Swillv8
Addicted to C2E

How would your average Canadian like a super box right in front of their property? Hundred people standing in front of their homes, constant flow of foot traffic, ( this is the city you say.... Unfortunate when it snows and 10 fresh foot tracks pack that snow into the sidewalk). These do and will bring down property taxes! It's well documented the vandalism that is a regular occurrence along with junk mail being strewn by inconsiderate lowlifes who have no regard for our planet.

With Canadian cities sometimes struggling for inner city growth, and desirability this should remain a perk. I'd even welcome a tax increase to keep my door service

Or lastly I would rather an old shack tore down, turned to greenspace to hold the new mailboxes and the community could also benifit with a mini park space with old growth trees nearby casting shade on nice benches very much needed for our senior population to catch a rest
Swillv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

I heard that in Hamilton, Ontario that they told Canada post , community mailboxes is not acceptable in their city and told them not to install in the city.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
I heard that in Hamilton, Ontario that they told Canada post , community mailboxes is not acceptable in their city and told them not to install in the city.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ncil-1.2756323
Old 22-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

My guess is that Canada Post will just find a way to spite Hamilton, possibly by building something that many people have to drive to.

What area are they looking to service with these boxes? Are they going to be 50 boxes, or 500?
Old 22-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
sundance
Addicted to C2E

As mail service is a power of the federal government in the Constitution Act of 1867 (Section 91.5) there really isn't much the city of Hamilton can do (except complain and of course not vote for the current set of MPs).

The federal government could say fine, no super mailboxes but no delivery either, you go to the post office to pick up your mail.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
I guess in the not too distant future Glenora will be going over to super mailboxes. They are talking about putting up community notice boards along side these mailbox areas to make them more like information and meeting points. They also get a say in where they want them and how they will blend in with the area. Unlike the other millions of Canadians who moved into an area and had no input. There mail boxes for cripes sake. Why make a song and dance about the simple thing of picking up your mail. Next thing will be asking the post office to pay for a Starbucks next to these boxes.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...385/story.html
Good on Glenora for being involved in the decisions directly affecting their neighbourhood and good on Canada Post for accommodating them. I hope the same policy holds when they come to Westmount.
Old 22-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
sundance
Addicted to C2E

A little roof and bulletin board is probably a good idea, right now people (and the county) just tape notices to the side of my super mailbox.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

Please include a garbage can with lid for those that immediately dispose of their flyers. How about some of those doggy bags too since I am sure that Fido will be making the daily commute to the box, and leaving his own 'parcel'.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I have a super mail box. It's about a block down from my place. It's just a plain old super box surrounded by concrete. Nothing fancy at all. No community notice board, no bench to sit on and contemplate your latest bill. Hardly what you would call a gathering point for the wags in the hood. I could not get any more generic. By the sounds of it it seems some people would like to be greeted by a mariachi band and a foot massage when they go for their mail.
Old 22-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
240GLT
Addicted to C2E

I think a community message board is a fantastic idea. Lots of communities struggle with communications, this could help greatly

The city will need to step up as well to ensure that the traffic at the boxes does not unduly affect surrounding neighbours
Old 22-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #24
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Aw c'mon, why are they trying to turn these mail boxes into community meeting places. As for notice boards, do they not have a community league paper. Or there is always newspapers, T.V., phone calls, text messages, Facebook, social media the neighborhood big mouth to get the word out. As for traffic issues at super mail boxes. I have yet to see a traffic issue yet at mine. No instances of mail rage or anyone jockeying for the key to the parcel box. I have yet to seen anyone get a black eye collecting their mail. Never even heard a raised voice. Most of the time there is nobody there. If most people are like me they probably only go twice a week to pick up mail.
Old 22-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #25
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^I just read that New Zealand post, is suggesting reducing mail deliveries to only 3 days a week to try and make economic. Like it or not, service is going to decline significantly over the next few years, either that, or costs will increase. Fewer and fewer people using post, means one or the other.
This would have made more sense than eliminating door to door delivery. Combine that with a threshold based on how far a carrier has to walk between houses. Neighborhoods with narrow lots and short front yards, or a large amount of multi-family housing, would get door to door delivery 3 days per week, while very low density neighborhoods would get community boxes every few blocks (also delivered 3 days per week).
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #26
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

^Door to door service for some, a trip to community boxes for others, a drive into town for country folk. And yet we all pay the same amount for postage and service.
How does that work?.