Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 26-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
24karat
Addicted to C2E

Default Mail boxes

It's getting tougher to locate a mail box if you wish to mail a letter. They used to be
on a corner in most neighbourhoods, but those boxes were removed, leaving only boxes outside of drug stores that had a post office counter in the store. Now, it seems in order to mail a letter, one must go into the stores to the post office in order to find a mail slot.

As with a lot of other services, it's getting more expensive to mail a letter, while the convenience slowly disappears.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I just read that New Zealand post, is suggesting reducing mail deliveries to only 3 days a week to try and make economic. Like it or not, service is going to decline significantly over the next few years, either that, or costs will increase. Fewer and fewer people using post, means one or the other.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...-delivery-days
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

I think I read somewhere that Canada Post did remove a fair amount of post office boxes due to lack of use. The area I live in has super mail boxes, no door to door delivery. These super mail boxes have slots to mail a letter so in our area there are boxes just about every two blocks. My beef with no door to door mail delivery is that I pay the same for a stamp as people who have door to door delivery. As for the cost of stamps, well to be able to send something all the way across the country for less than a $1 is still a bargain. Parcels etc. are a different matter.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
azzey
Partially Addicted to C2E

^ It's too bad that they won't pick up mail when doing door-to-door delivery, as there are no mailboxes within a six block radius from me. Luckily there is one on my way to work or I'd have to drive to the post office.
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

I find it strange that in my area they replaced the mailboxes, with the grey carrier distribution boxes. Could they not add a slot to these distribution boxes and pick up the mail at the same time? Or does this violate some union policy??

Delivering every second day seems like a reasonable solution to cost reduction. I find mail currently takes 3 days really whats one more day? If its urgent there is always email.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

i am pretty sure that our posty in westmount only delivers every second day already
Old 26-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
azzey

Well I rarely get mail every day anyways, mostly just a huge stack of flyers...
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Paper mail is all but dead. Canada Post will ship nothing but packages over "x" size in 5-10 years mark my words.
Old 28-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Canada Post makes more money off "junk mail" than they do off mail that we send through them.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
bobinedmonton
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Paper mail is all but dead. Canada Post will ship nothing but packages over "x" size in 5-10 years mark my words.
Apparently, your local mail carrier will soon be carrying both packages and letter mail.
Old 29-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
knowitall

In the newer areas, every "super mailbox" has a slot were people can drop off mail. IMO Canada Post needs to do away with door-to-door delivery and place these boxes in all the older neighbourhoods. Door-to-door deliver just doesn't make sense anymore with the decline in snail mail and the increased use of couriers.
knowitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
SP59
Addicted to C2E

I receive door-to-door service and I agree with you. Door-to-door is a waste of money.
SP59 is offline   Reply With Quote