Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Great Ideas for A Greater Edmonton Do you have an idea that you feel could help enhance Edmonton's image, profile or reputation? Small or large, dramatic or subtle, we want to hear from you! Community projects, solutions to problems, ideas about improvements to Edmonton, or neat new directions for the area, post them all here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Great Ideas for A Greater Edmonton

Old 24-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton, Jasper Sign Tourism Agreement With Shanghai

Quote:
Edmonton, Jasper Sign Tourism Agreement With Shanghai

EDMONTON, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - April 24, 2012) - Edmonton and Jasper have signed a memorandum of cooperation with Shanghai, China to jointly promote travel between Alberta and Shanghai.

Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel, Jasper Mayor Richard Ireland, and Party Secretary Lin Dou signed on behalf of Edmonton Tourism, Tourism Jasper and the Shanghai Municipal Tourism Administration recently as part of an Edmonton mission to China (photo attached).

"Having this agreement in place symbolizes the strong partnership between Edmonton and Jasper and, just as importantly, our longstanding relationship with China," says Mandel. "As a capital city, Edmonton offers a lot for our visitors, with a blend of urban sophistication with the outdoors right on our door step."

"With Edmonton as our gateway, a Jasper-Edmonton partnership strengthens Jasper's ability to attract international visitors, including travellers from China," states Ireland. "Visitors find that Jasper affords an unmatched experience, which we look forward to offering to the world."

The agreement is intended to raise awareness of the signatories' cities, and promote cultural exchange and travel between the two countries.

Canada was granted Approved Destination Status by the Chinese government in 2010, which makes it easier for Chinese citizens to visit Canada and for the Canadian tourism industry to market Canada to China.
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...th-1648274.htm
Hilman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You For This Useful Post:
Edmontonfan (24-04-2012), FlyFlyAway (24-04-2012), GranaryMan (04-12-2012), IanO (24-04-2012), kal104 (25-04-2012), McBoo (24-04-2012), mki (24-04-2012), moahunter (25-04-2012)
Old 24-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
mki
Partially Addicted to C2E

Fantastic news for Edmonton & Jasper, thank you for posting!
Old 24-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
brett-

Great to hear!! More international recognition is always positive
Old 24-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Awesome!
Old 24-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Too bad we could not promote Edmonton as Edmonton/jasper at airports similar to Calgary/banff

There has to be a way to link them tourism wise and promote hugely. Maybe create a slogan around the connection like "it's a natural"
Rocket252 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
armin
Addicted to C2E

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Too bad we could not promote Edmonton as Edmonton/jasper at airports similar to Calgary/banff

There has to be a way to link them tourism wise and promote hugely. Maybe create a slogan around the connection like "it's a natural"
That's a very good idea.

Branding doesn't just have to be a slogan, it can be an attitude as well.

It's a shorter distance from Edmonton to Jasper than it is from Calgary.
armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Jasper 1st needs to dress to impress because at the moment the accommodation there does not.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

The Jasper area could use more ski resorts to increase tourism. Problem is, where could a new ski resort go? It seems obvious there won't be another within Jasper National Park. I doubt the BC government would allow any in Robson park. Valemount could use the tourism, but unless they build a world-class mind-blowing resort, the trek from Edmonton gets even longer. The mountains pretty much end at the eastern park borders.
Old 25-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
FlyFlyAway

^Chicken and egg. No ability to draw foreign clients on a $2500pp budget if you don't impress; no desire (nevermind money) to impress if you're only drawing people from the local markets.

I find that the few establishments that market themselves to visitors from outside of AB/BC are good enough to "impress", though. Ian, can you give me an example or two of lodges that don't meet your standard to impress - places that actually spend money catering to a foreign (US/overseas) clientele? Not every visitor is going to JPL...but not every visitor wants that experience either.

On an off-topic note, Shanghai-based China Eastern Airlines (Skyteam member) put an old A330-200 on the Shanghai-Vancouver run 4x weekly for the summer. Think AC's 767s w/o the personal TV's that AC flies to sun destinations. Since there is a brand new, modern A330 (w/ PTV in economy & lie-flat beds in business) from China Eastern that leaves Vancouver just 2 hours earlier every day, I'm guessing that either they are dumping a plane on that route for a couple of months, or that there's enough demand for Western Canada that they need the extra economy seats on the route in the summer. (Or is there enough group travel demand to do 4x weekly in the summer? That'd be really impressive after only 30 months of ADS....)

Either way, if they still fly the old plane next summer maybe they could find another place to dump it? Would need a LOT of cooperation to pull it off, though - probably more than it's worth.
FlyFlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

ian your thoughts on design style of accomodations ?
log cabin, Giant log (aka yellowstone) structures, Lake louise block or Banff Springs view commader
Old 25-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
juw544
First One is Always Free

Dress up Jasper is a must, as the Chinese newly formed rich or middle class like to brag about their luxury and glamorous life style. Another important thing is shopping, so make sure to heavily promote our WEM, to allure all the tourist to the city and go on a shopping spree. Well, we probably need to have more high-end brands in WEM then or expand the HR in downtown. Gosh, they would be laughing at our downtown, or Central Business District.
juw544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Rocket252
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlyAway View Post
^Chicken and egg. No ability to draw foreign clients on a $2500pp budget if you don't impress; no desire (nevermind money) to impress if you're only drawing people from the local markets.

I find that the few establishments that market themselves to visitors from outside of AB/BC are good enough to "impress", though. Ian, can you give me an example or two of lodges that don't meet your standard to impress - places that actually spend money catering to a foreign (US/overseas) clientele? Not every visitor is going to JPL...but not every visitor wants that experience either.

On an off-topic note, Shanghai-based China Eastern Airlines (Skyteam member) put an old A330-200 on the Shanghai-Vancouver run 4x weekly for the summer. Think AC's 767s w/o the personal TV's that AC flies to sun destinations. Since there is a brand new, modern A330 (w/ PTV in economy & lie-flat beds in business) from China Eastern that leaves Vancouver just 2 hours earlier every day, I'm guessing that either they are dumping a plane on that route for a couple of months, or that there's enough demand for Western Canada that they need the extra economy seats on the route in the summer. (Or is there enough group travel demand to do 4x weekly in the summer? That'd be really impressive after only 30 months of ADS....)

Either way, if they still fly the old plane next summer maybe they could find another place to dump it? Would need a LOT of cooperation to pull it off, though - probably more than it's worth.
There should be a ton of discussion between the city, EIA and whoever else needs to be at the table to try and get that flight extended to EIA - even a few days per week.

Is anyone thinking of the connection or is it just us?
Rocket252 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
bolo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by juw544 View Post
Dress up Jasper is a must, as the Chinese newly formed rich or middle class like to brag about their luxury and glamorous life style. Another important thing is shopping, so make sure to heavily promote our WEM, to allure all the tourist to the city and go on a shopping spree. Well, we probably need to have more high-end brands in WEM then or expand the HR in downtown. Gosh, they would be laughing at our downtown, or Central Business District.
Not a good idea. Shanghai is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet right now, they will not be coming here to shop high end brands. However, you can try to promote local and unique items and they will eat that up. For example, if they walk into one of our liquor stores, they will likely buy up the entire inventory of ice wine (I have seen similar things happen with mainland Chinese tourists).

As far as promoting Jasper. All they need to do is collaborate with some Shanghai tour agencies to work out a good package. Chinese people love to take those bus tours with Chinese tour guides (more comfortable for them, with less of a language barrier). Then it's just a matter of getting your brochures/webpages out.

When I was in Tokyo, I walked into a few travel agencies. In every single one, the whole Calgary/Canmore/Banff experience was featured very prominently (a couple of times it was the first thing you would see right at the door). So a Japanese person looking for a vacation, walks into a Japanese travel agency and see's promotions for Banff before Rome, or London or New York. And not surprisingly, a ton of Japanese visit Banff. No reason why we can't do the same. Plus if you get your foot into the door in Shanghai (one of the leading cities in both China and the world), they will help sell your city to the rest of the world.
bolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
juw544
First One is Always Free

"Not a good idea. Shanghai is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet right now, they will not be coming here to shop high end brands. However, you can try to promote local and unique items and they will eat that up. For example, if they walk into one of our liquor stores, they will likely buy up the entire inventory of ice wine (I have seen similar things happen with mainland Chinese tourists)."

Oh, yes, they would. All the luxury brands are heavily taxed by the Chinese government. That means they pay 25% more for the same LV bag in China. That's why if you ever been on a tour with those rich Chinese old ladies to Europe, you will get sick to see how much they can spend on those luxuries. And it seems history, museums, arts are not their priority. Perhaps my opinion is biased, but I grew up in China and lived there for 20 years! Yes, I think that makes me one of them! lol
juw544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
You don't get much better than the JPL... It is where the royals tend to stay.
Old 25-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
bolo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Oh, yes, they would. All the luxury brands are heavily taxed by the Chinese government. That means they pay 25% more for the same LV bag in China. That's why if you ever been on a tour with those rich Chinese old ladies to Europe, you will get sick to see how much they can spend on those luxuries. And it seems history, museums, arts are not their priority. Perhaps my opinion is biased, but I grew up in China and lived there for 20 years! Yes, I think that makes me one of them! lol
Good point with the luxury tax. I've visited Shanghai a few times recently and the amount of high-end shopping already there was staggering and probably rivals anywhere else in the world. I did not consider the pricing however and don't have experience with the fundamentals. I'd assume that when coming back into China, the duties are still low enough to make purchasing abroad a net savings?

Bring on the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WJFjXtHcy4
bolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
FlyFlyAway

Quote:
Dress up Jasper is a must, as the Chinese newly formed rich or middle class like to brag about their luxury and glamorous life style.
If they want dressy, they'll go to Whistler. Quicker, easier, much much greater capacity. For that matter, they'll go to Banff. They may not like that the Japanese beat them there, but it's quite likely they'll get more Mandarin service in Banff (once volumes warrant) than they ever would in Jasper.

I'm not expecting Jasper to become the next Yukon (for Germans), but if I was blue-sky thinking a "China-first" strategy I'd start there and work my way backwards. No one goes to Whitehorse for the glamour or luxury, although there are a few smaller establishments that meet and exceed luxurious desires.

I don't disagree that Jasper needs a coat of paint (or six). And a (small) expansion of tourism-related services that address visitor comfort rather than wilderness exploration. I worry that you are trying to chase a group of tourists that have better choices, while alienating the current people who love Jasper with limited upside benefit. I don't see that as a likely winning strategy.

I concur that most will look to shop at WEM. But a mix of local, regional, and national brands, along with some familiar international names (to establish mall-cred), is what the typical shopper will be looking for. Lots of variety, one stop: no expensive cabs or big tour buses required. Edmonton, unfortunately, will never be a global destination for high-end shopping. Vancouver and San Francisco can combine nature and shopping better than Edmonton, if you're aiming for that specific experience. Zurich and Geneva have better mountains w/ shopping. But a few high-end brands (which we already have) will help, especially in those situations where there's a price difference and they can stock up on a few recognizable items.
Old 25-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
FlyFlyAway

Quote:
And it seems history, museums, arts are not their priority. Perhaps my opinion is biased, but I grew up in China and lived there for 20 years! Yes, I think that makes me one of them! lol
They don't have a high interest in travel to their historical sites and museums. Common point of view in Northeast Asia, it seems. Can you comment on interest in basic exploration of other cultures and their history - a 2-hour tour of Fort Edmonton, for example, with a Mandarin tour guide?
Old 25-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
You don't get much better than the JPL... It is where the royals tend to stay.
Have you stayed there? I found it pretty disapointing, my cabin didn't even have aircon. World class location, not a world class facility.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

No, it's a world class hotel.
Alex.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

That needs a ton of work.
Marcel Petrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

I'll agree with that.
Old 25-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
That needs a ton of work.
Like a lot of Fairmonts. The York in Toronto is IMO the worst. They all have good bars and lobbies, but the rooms leave a lot to be desired. Jasper Park has seen better days (I guess the best, when Marilyn was there).

Last edited by moahunter; 25-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: Park not Place
Old 27-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Pyram...177/story.html
Quote:
EDMONTON - Mountain Park Lodges has acquired the Pyramid Lake Resort in Jasper National Park.
The 62-room chalet-style property, six kilometres north of Jasper townsite on Pyramid Lake, is a year-round resort that was last owned by Edmonton-based Maclab Enterprises and managed by Coast Hotels.
No terms of the deal were disclosed in an announcement by Mountain Park Lodges, which owns other hospitality properties in Jasper: Amethyst Lodge, Lobstick Lodge, Marmot Lodge, Chateau Jasper and Pocahontas Cabins. The company is also a major shareholder and partner with Marmot Basin Ski Hill in Jasper.
“This acquisition follows our company philosophy and strategy to continually expand our product offering within Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies,” said John Day, president and chairman of Mountain Park Lodges.
The acquisition expands its total room count to 581.
Old 27-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #25
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I have stayed at Pyramid Lake, IMO the location is every bit as good as Jasper Park Lodge.
Old 27-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Love Pyramid Lake. Considered having our wedding there.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #27
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Mountain Park Lodges better up their game and find some investors so they can dump money into their properties IMO
Old 27-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

In that article I posted, notice the name John Day, president and chairman of Mountain Park Lodges? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm told it's the one and same John Day who developed downtown Sobeys, Garneau Theatre, etc. So there's hope for Mountain Park Lodges.

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 27-04-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #29
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Yes, definitely the same guy.
Marcel Petrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Jasper has natural sites that neither Banff nor Whistler have. The landscape is utterly alien compared to either of those two, and is the reason it exists as a natural park.

That said, the town is a dump. I cringe when I have to make a trip there for work. When I ski, I do day trips. Hotels for $69/night says a lot about your resort town.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #31
Instadylan
First One is Always Free

There's no way any ski hills could be built around Hinton? Or grande cache area? Doesn't just need to be in Jasper, does it?
Instadylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #32
Alx_xlA

You know what we should look at a bit more? Trains. (I like trains)

The Canadian connects Edmonton and Jasper. Anyone know which train connects Calgary and Banff?

Oh right, there isn't one.
Alx_xlA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
GranaryMan
Addicted to C2E

Bullet Train from Edmonton to Jasper.
GranaryMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #34
expat
Addicted to C2E

Tourists come to Alberta for the mountains (Stampede aside). At best Jasper is an overnight on the Icefields Parkway run. Just don't see where Edmonton fits into the equation?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #35
KC
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
tourists come to alberta for the mountains (stampede aside). At best jasper is an overnight on the icefields parkway run. Just don't see where edmonton fits into the equation?
wem?
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #36
expat
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
tourists come to alberta for the mountains (stampede aside). At best jasper is an overnight on the icefields parkway run. Just don't see where edmonton fits into the equation?
wem?
I thought the thread was about international tourism, not about folks driving in from Gibbons for the afternoon?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #37
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ you seriously don't know what the hell you're talking about