Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rants An opportunity to vent about a "not so good" Edmonton experience.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Rants

Old 21-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!
Default Alas the 2 wheel terorists are back

Tis the season of noise filled streets with idiocy on 2 wheels. The cops only need sit along any major road in this city and wait the the fools on thier bikes to get the quotas they need.
I'd like to see more crackdowns on these fools who drive like ********** and feel the need to make as much noise as they can. I wonder if the cops have the balls to try.

Last edited by cnr67; 25-04-2012 at 10:12 PM..
cnr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Ah, that would have been a good post for the EPS town hall that they had on C2E this past week.

I don't know why the police don't pay Timmy's on Whyte a visit on a nice day and test all the bikes. Maybe they can't do that? I was out for a walk today and had to stop my conversation 3 times because of loud bikes, and one of them woke my sleeping baby when he gunned it after the light changed. Argh.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Police were sitting in top of 107avenue bridge over groat rd doing just that today...

I see a lot more traffic enforcement out this spring than I've seen in a long long time.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Definitely heard a ton of bikes downtown with my window open yesterday. I don't particularly mind really, it's part of what I expect to hear living in an urban environment. No more disturbing than street cleaners, snow plows or garbage vacuum trucks at 3am. Or road construction during the week. Or drunks at 2am.

My issue with people on bikes are those that drive like idiots. Chances are even if they do get in an accident the only one who'll suffer physical injury is them, as opposed to property damage. But it never ceases to amaze me the stupid things people on bikes will do. Driving home Friday some big fat dude on an ancient, gutless semi-sport bike was driving down 149 street and then 107 avenue weaving in and out of vehicles like he was in a MotoGP race. Poor bike, sounded like it was going to have a heart attack, and it was hilarious from my perspective because he couldn't accelerate any faster than I could in my car.

And for the record, I have a couple bikes myself. One a sport with an aftermarket exhaust that I don't think is any louder than my other adventure-style bike with factory exhaust (Multistrada). I agree that some pipes are stupendously loud, but the main factor is how they're being driven. If they're flying around in second gear at 100km/h, yeah, it's loud. Same bike and exhaust driving at 60km/h in fifth won't be loud at all.

As far as speeding or driving aggressively goes, there's times and places to do it. In rush hour traffic is not one of them.
Marcel Petrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Legislation and enforcement did wonders over the last couple years. I hope EPS keeps it up and doesn't let enforcement taper off.
Old 22-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

cruiser bikes and oversized pickups are the worst. they really know how to ruin an outdoor experience. maybe there should be a muffler noise bylaw for certain areas of the city.
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I wish we had better federal legislation regarding emission controls in vehicles like in California. Every vehicle should need to be inspected every couple years, if it fails emissions, you need to fix it. This would curb virtually all excessive noise mufflers as they often reduce the effectiveness of the catalytic converters (if not removed entirely), and would definitely force rig rockets to remove the soot belching mods.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
cruiser bikes and oversized pickups are the worst. they really know how to ruin an outdoor experience. maybe there should be a muffler noise bylaw for certain areas of the city.
Make it city-wide. We all have ears.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
IGNITERS
Addicted to C2E

Default Heil hippy!

You folks that whine every year about the noisey people in this city need to get a life !
The fact that your asking/demanding there be legislation to your personal standerds of acceptability is nothing short of dictatership.
Mind your own buisness , do your thing ( unless your thing is telling others what they can and cant do ) and let people have the space to move in the city they pay taxes and fees in ...like yourselves .
Honestly whats next , a panel and laws set up to govern paint colors?
If the city is too noisey for you than a more logical answer is MOVE THE HELL OUT!
IGNITERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

^Ah, even if some people move to the country they would complain about the birds chirping.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
I wish we had better federal legislation regarding emission controls in vehicles like in California. Every vehicle should need to be inspected every couple years, if it fails emissions, you need to fix it. This would curb virtually all excessive noise mufflers as they often reduce the effectiveness of the catalytic converters (if not removed entirely), and would definitely force rig rockets to remove the soot belching mods.
We used to have regular vehicle inspections in Alberta until the 1970's

Sort of like what they use in Nova Scotia

Old 22-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

^Checking vehicle emissions every two years sounds like a government cash grab. More beaurocracy in an already bloated system. Beats me why some of you city slickers don't go around wearing gas masks as some of you seem to think the air is not fit to breath. It's a city folks. If you want to live in it you have to put up with all that goes with it.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post
You folks that whine every year about the noisey people in this city need to get a life !
The fact that your asking/demanding there be legislation to your personal standards of acceptability is nothing short of dictatorship.
Mind your own business , do your thing ( unless your thing is telling others what they can and cant do ) and let people have the space to move in the city they pay taxes and fees in ...like yourselves .
If the city is too noisey for you than a more logical answer is MOVE THE HELL OUT!
I'm not whining at all. I don't however need the jerkoff with his bike racing down my residential side street waking me up after I've worked all night. I have a life as do my kids who play street hockey on this residential street. My life says that if you impose your grief on me, I will give your *** the kick it needs. On that note, I have plate numbers and video sutible for a visit the the cops. I pay taxes and and respect my neibours unlike the fools who behave as they do driving like the ********** they are. They need to grow up or MOVE THE HELL OUT! Not us.
Old 22-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
IGNITERS
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
Quote:
The fact that your asking/demanding there be legislation to your personal standards of acceptability is nothing short of dictatorship.
Mind your own business , do your thing ( unless your thing is telling others what they can and cant do ) and let people have the space to move in the city they pay taxes and fees in ...like yourselves .
I'm not whining at all. I don't however need the jerkoff with his bike racing down my residential side street waking me up after I've worked all night. I have a life as do my kids who play street hockey on this residential street. My life says that if you impose your grief on me, I will give your *** the kick it needs. On that note, I have plate numbers and video sutible for a visit the the cops. I pay taxes and and respect my neibours unlike the fools who behave as they do driving like the ********** they are. They need to grow up or MOVE THE HELL OUT! Not us.
So because your children play in the street ( is there no safe place to play in your area) and you want the city to stop making noise on your schedule, then everybody with 2 wheels has to bend over for your self imposed laws?
While I'm not defending those that break the law and in my opnion you do so at your own risk ...no crying in the city cells lol I am defending the innocent and their rights as law abiding citizens.
Just saying your desires are your own and if you hollar too loud about what should be enforced you may find your children are no longer allowed to play in the street either.
Human rights fall one supporter at a time ...
IGNITERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
Quote:
So because your children play in the street ( is there no safe place to play in your area) and you want the city to stop making noise on your schedule, then everybody with 2 wheels has to bend over for your self imposed laws?
While I'm not defending those that break the law and in my opinion you do so at your own risk ...no crying in the city cells lol I am defending the innocent and their rights as law abiding citizens.
Just saying your desires are your own and if you hollar too loud about what should be enforced you may find your children are no longer allowed to play in the street either.
Human rights fall one supporter at a time ...
Tell me something, Do I have the right because I pay taxes to take my Monte Carlo SS on the front street and use it as a drag strip. Not at all. The clowns who drive this way on 2 or 4 wheels need to be slowed down. Whether my son plays street hockey or not does not excuse motorists from driving this way. Again, the camera are recording plates and those who behave like they do will pay for it. And please don't tell me you never played street hockey.
Old 23-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
^Checking vehicle emissions every two years sounds like a government cash grab. More beaurocracy in an already bloated system. Beats me why some of you city slickers don't go around wearing gas masks as some of you seem to think the air is not fit to breath. It's a city folks. If you want to live in it you have to put up with all that goes with it.

So you are ok with rusted out old wreck with shoddy repairs, bald tires and no brakes. Remember that the next time a gravel truck is coming to a stop behind you.

Figures from Day 1 of the check, which happened near Whitemud Drive and 75 Street.

Trucks checked: 102
Violations: 258
Summons: 35
Dangerous goods inspections: 26
Warrants: 4
Tow aways: 16

Trucks declared out-of-service: 38
Trucks that passed without problems: 29
Trucks that required attention: 35

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/05/2...tions-underway

The streets are for everybody, but when motorbikes and other vehicles use public streets to race, make noise and endanger others, throw the book at them. If you want to race and make noise, take it to the race track. We had an ***** who raced his bike three nights in a row when I lived in Beaumont. The single RCMP had no chance to catch him. Even my neighbour who rode bikes himself ran out with a 2x4 and took a swing at the ***** when he blazed past on a quiet residential street. They caught on the third night with a RCMP Huey chopper that was monitoring a big bikers event at the speedway.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Wow, Edmonton PRT, that sounds scary.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

EPRT - we don't agree often, but do we ever agree on this one.

Many accidents happen because of vehicle failure, and poorly maintained vehicles are excessive polluters. Proper legislation requiring drivers to inspect their vehicle (have government set pricing, say $50) would fix a lot of issues and create incentives to remove junkheaps off the road - heck, we already have fines in place for driving uninspected vehicles, it wouldn't take much to amend this into legislation we already have. Of course, allow folks to challenge any fines or inspection results in court

Edit: My favorite are those junky Japanese right-hand drive cars the kids think are awesome - strict pollution laws in Japan force those cars off the road, and then wannabe tuner-kiddies here buy them thinking they got a "sweet import", when what they really got was Japan's exported junk.

From Wiki
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...icle_exporting
Japanese used vehicle exporting
is international trade involving the export of used cars and other vehicles from Japan to other markets around the world. Despite the high cost of transport, the sale of used cars and other vehicles to other countries is still profitable due to the relatively low cost and good condition of the vehicles being purchased. Contributing factors to the feasibility of such export include Japan's strict motor-vehicle inspections and high depreciation which make such vehicles worth very little in Japan after six years, and strict environmental-protection regulations that make vehicle disposal very expensive in Japan. Japan has very stringent vehicle emission test standards.[1]

Last edited by Chmilz; 23-04-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Chmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Chmilz, remember a few years ago that the same contraversey was about scholl beses. Many were old mechanical wrecks and the bus companies claimed that they would go broke with the renewed inforcement of the rules on unimportant things like brake servicing.

They were forced to comply, many buses were serviced and inspected, creating work for mechanics accross the city. A lot of buses needed to be replaced and there were a bunch of new buses on the streets.

Funny, I did not hear of one school bus company going broke, did you?

When I moved to Ontario, my car had to be mechanically inspected even though it had been built in Ontario only 6 months before.
Old 23-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #20
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

I also find it funny that people like IGNITERS say that those who don't enjoy the noise of a loud bike need to "get a life." The bike wasn't built that way, it was modified to be noisier. It was done so by someone who doesn't care about others, and feels that he/she has a "right" to inflict their noise upon others that don't want to hear it. It's the selfishness of the act that bothers me more than the act itself, a bit like the smoker that feels it's okay to toss their garbage on the street. Their selfish act impacts others.

I have absolutely no issue with bikes, I just have issue with noisy bikes.
Old 23-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
nobleea
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
It's the selfishness of the act that bothers me more than the act itself, a bit like the smoker that feels it's okay to toss their garbage on the street. Their selfish act impacts others.
I think we should start a public shaming program for this. Everytime you see this happen, start honking. The more people do it, the higher the public humiliation and the more likely they will to stop. I've always thought a deposit system for cigarette butts is in order. $0.25/cigarette enviro deposit. Use a friggen ashtray or throw the money out the window (literally!) and let the homeless pick it up.
nobleea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
IanO
Addicted to C2E

'I see a lot more traffic enforcement out this spring than I've seen in a long long time.'

Yup. Considerable increase in patrol and awareness.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Edit: My favorite are those junky Japanese right-hand drive cars the kids think are awesome - strict pollution laws in Japan force those cars off the road, and then wannabe tuner-kiddies here buy them thinking they got a "sweet import", when what they really got was Japan's exported junk.

From Wiki
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...icle_exporting
Japanese used vehicle exporting
is international trade involving the export of used cars and other vehicles from Japan to other markets around the world. Despite the high cost of transport, the sale of used cars and other vehicles to other countries is still profitable due to the relatively low cost and good condition of the vehicles being purchased. Contributing factors to the feasibility of such export include Japan's strict motor-vehicle inspections and high depreciation which make such vehicles worth very little in Japan after six years, and strict environmental-protection regulations that make vehicle disposal very expensive in Japan. Japan has very stringent vehicle emission test standards.[1]
Some are less pristine than others sure, but many are kickass cars we were never able to get our hands on such as certain imprezas/evos/Skylines etc. They are super fun and if the owner maintains them, they can be safe, fast and roadworthy.

www.decl.org

Old 23-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I also find it funny that people like IGNITERS say that those who don't enjoy the noise of a loud bike need to "get a life." The bike wasn't built that way, it was modified to be noisier. It was done so by someone who doesn't care about others, and feels that he/she has a "right" to inflict their noise upon others that don't want to hear it. It's the selfishness of the act that bothers me more than the act itself, a bit like the smoker that feels it's okay to toss their garbage on the street. Their selfish act impacts others.

I have absolutely no issue with bikes, I just have issue with noisy bikes.
Old 24-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #25
blainehamilton
Addicted to C2E

Watched a clown on a red sport bike do a wheelie at 120km/h+ from 170st to 156st on Yellowhead eastbound earlier this evening.

Didn't get a plate or I would have called it in to EPS.

He just about lost it when coming back down onto 2 wheels at the end. With any luck he will drop it the next time he tries, and takes off his arms and head, without hurting anyone else...
blainehamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
Watched a clown on a red sport bike do a wheelie at 120km/h+ from 170st to 156st on Yellowhead eastbound earlier this evening.

Didn't get a plate or I would have called it in to EPS.

He just about lost it when coming back down onto 2 wheels at the end. With any luck he will drop it the next time he tries, and takes off his arms and head, without hurting anyone else...

Blaine, Igniters would argue that it is you that has the problem. The guy on the red bike has the right to drive on one wheel if he wants to, its his bike, his road and he expects us to pay his hospital bills if he cracks up and smeared on the pavement.

Blaine,
Quote:
The fact that your asking/demanding there be legislation to your personal standerds of acceptability is nothing short of dictatership.
Mind your own buisness , do your thing ( unless your thing is telling others what they can and cant do ) and let people have the space to move in the city they pay taxes and fees in ...like yourselves .
Are you moving yet?

(Note sarcasm)
Old 24-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #27
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

The noise of city hustle and bustle isn't an issue. The intentional noises that drown those other noises out are. Let's use the phrases "normal noise" and "dick noise". Dick noise has no place in society. That includes vehicles modified only to make more noise, yappy mutts, and drunks yelling profanities at the moon. That noise only exists to intentionally anger people and draw attention to oneself.

I should add that the only types of people that do those things are narcissistic wankers that think they're doing the public a service by being noticed, feel they're above society, and don't need to adhere to any neighbourly standards of conduct.

Last edited by Chmilz; 24-04-2012 at 08:22 AM..
Chmilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I should add that the only types of people that do those things are narcissistic wankers that think they're doing the public a service by being noticed, feel they're above society, and don't need to adhere to any neighbourly standards of conduct.
Chmilz, that comment could be applied to some people posting here.
Old 24-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #29
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I have a line on a maker of soapboxes both tall and sturdy enough to support massive internet egos
Old 24-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Wow. I wish I had a life like you guys. Where I could dedicate time and energy and emotion into the issue of a motorbike.

I mean the 3-5 seconds of loud noise I have to deal with every week or so (maybe, if its busy) when a biker passes it just too much for me to live with. I am so upset and distraught and my quality of life is ruined by this menace.

Alas I dont have the time in my life to deal with these Terrorists. Thank you to the EPS and my fellow Edmontonians for taking up the noble fight. You are wonderful people.

Old 24-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #31
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Hey, if I only had to deal with the noise for 3-5 seconds a week, I wouldn't complain either.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #32
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

A few years ago, I would have to endure literally hundreds of bikes a day roaring past my place. Hundreds.

I lived in a high traffic area with incredible firetruck and ambulance activity and could deal with noise, but the bikes were something else. When bike noise outdoes firetrucks, there's a real problem. When the legislation passed, the problem dried up almost overnight.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #33
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Wow. I wish I had a life like you guys. Where I could dedicate time and energy and emotion into the issue of a motorbike.

I mean the 3-5 seconds of loud noise I have to deal with every week or so (maybe, if its busy) when a biker passes it just too much for me to live with. I am so upset and distraught and my quality of life is ruined by this menace.

Alas I dont have the time in my life to deal with these Terrorists. Thank you to the EPS and my fellow Edmontonians for taking up the noble fight. You are wonderful people.

I agree Komrade. here we go again. NoiseNazis unite!
Old 25-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #34
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
A few years ago, I would have to endure literally hundreds of bikes a day roaring past my place. Hundreds.

I lived in a high traffic area with incredible firetruck and ambulance activity and could deal with noise, but the bikes were something else. When bike noise outdoes firetrucks, there's a real problem. When the legislation passed, the problem dried up almost overnight.
Hundreds, you say? wow.
And EVERYONE of them louder than the legal limit or just louder than your tolerance level? (that's a rhetorical question, don't bother)
Old 25-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
IanO
Addicted to C2E

I live on 105st just south of Jasper and while there is an occasional *****, car or bike, for the most part it is ok. My car at WOT is in the 110-114bd range which I know is above the maximum, but when driving normally it is well within. Sure I have bouts of fun here and there, but I dont do it through communities or at 1am. I dont mind some louder vehicles, but if you are so inconsiderate as to do it down whyte avenue mid sat with hundreds of people within 10' of you, keep an eye out for a bottle coming your way.

www.decl.org

Old 25-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
For real tho. Can we ban fat people from Whyte Ave? They are terrorists of my eyes. My eyes cant stand to look at fat people. It ruins my quality of life.

Can we ban speaking foreign languages in public? They are terrorists of the ears. My ears cant stand to here anything but English. It ruins my quality of life.

Can we ban body odour? They are terrorists of my nose. My nose cant stand to smell anything but flowers and summer breezes. It ruins my quality of life.

What im saying is discrimination is discrimination. And as much as you try to make it about your personal rights (my right to a quiet city? Really?) telling someone they 'cant do that' because 'i dont like it' is lame at best.
Old 25-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Hey, if I only had to deal with the noise for 3-5 seconds a week, I wouldn't complain either.
You are right. In a high traffic area, it could be 60 seconds spread across a day, 7 days a week! The Horror!!!
Old 25-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #38
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:

Hundreds, you say? wow.
And EVERYONE of them louder than the legal limit or just louder than your tolerance level? (that's a rhetorical question, don't bother)
Yes. Easily 10-15 an hour. You know maths right? I don't carry a decibel meter around with me, but if the bikes drown out firetruck sirens, it's fair to assume they're louder than the legal limit, considering firetrucks are louder than the legal limit.

So yes, hundreds. Louder than the legal limit. Normal bikes don't bother me since the noise they make is normal compared to all other legal noise levels.
Old 25-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #39
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
For real tho. Can we ban fat people from Whyte Ave? They are terrorists of my eyes. My eyes cant stand to look at fat people. It ruins my quality of life.

Can we ban speaking foreign languages in public? They are terrorists of the ears. My ears cant stand to here anything but English. It ruins my quality of life.

Can we ban body odour? They are terrorists of my nose. My nose cant stand to smell anything but flowers and summer breezes. It ruins my quality of life.

What im saying is discrimination is discrimination. And as much as you try to make it about your personal rights (my right to a quiet city? Really?) telling someone they 'cant do that' because 'i dont like it' is lame at best.
Let me guess, you voted Wildrose.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #40
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

There are plenty of laws surrounding noise. I dont see why their is a big obsession with having a loud bike or car, and can understand why there is laws about it. You can't have a loud party that bothers your neighbors... They certainly can call the cops and the cops will come.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #41
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Factories, nightclubs and many other businesses also have to be respectful of their noise pollution.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #42
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Being in a big city doesn't mean you have the open right to be as loud and obnoxious as possible.
Old 25-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Exactly.

www.decl.org

Old 25-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #44
Transplanted_Edm
Addicted to C2E

This goes way above and beyond normal city background noise. The worst part is it's totally preventable. Nobody wants to prevent the noise of an emergency vehicle siren as they fulfill a vital purpose.

Clearly, the technology exists to have mufflers that can deaden most/all of the sound. For some reason though people choose to deliberately install mufflers that make extra noise, with zero benefit.

People who question the concept of a "right to a quiet city" obviously haven't heard of other very similar concepts like zoning laws that control what kinds of activities can be done where and when in the city.
Transplanted_Edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #45
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Harley is suing the kid for infringing on their patented sound.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #46
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
Lol no NDP

I just find it truly comical how upset you guys get at a noise that lasts no more than 5 seconds.

And if you lived in the busiest area of the city, you may have to deal with that 5 seconds, five, six or even seven times a day! Thats a whole 35 seconds of noise pollution ruining your quality of life!

The horror!!!
Old 26-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #47
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Komrade, you clearly don't live in an area with a bike problem. Some of us did/do.
Old 26-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #48
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hundreds, you say? wow.
Yes. Easily 10-15 an hour. You know maths right? I don't carry a decibel meter around with me, but if the bikes drown out firetruck sirens, it's fair to assume they're louder than the legal limit, considering firetrucks are louder than the legal limit.

So yes, hundreds. Louder than the legal limit. Normal bikes don't bother me since the noise they make is normal compared to all other legal noise levels.
You know rhetorical right? yet, you still have to post a reply. Yep, I know math. and your math tells me at 15 bikes p/hr thats 360 a day. 360 illegal bikes on one street per day. One would assume that kind of consistent obnoxious behavior would constitute a call to the police as that would be a prime 'fishing hole' for the enforcement officers. did you call them?
Also, did you SEE the offending bike(s) you know, the "types of people that do those things are narcissistic wankers that think they're doing the public a service by being noticed, feel they're above society"? Perhaps it was the same biker and your neighborhood is part of his commute, or his job (courier? haha), or he/she lives nearby?
didn't think you had a decibel meter, but no need, your superhuman hearing can differentiate between 95 and 97 decibels from your couch. awesome.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Lol no NDP

I just find it truly comical how upset you guys get at a noise that lasts no more than 5 seconds.

And if you lived in the busiest area of the city, you may have to deal with that 5 seconds, five, six or even seven times a day! Thats a whole 35 seconds of noise pollution ruining your quality of life!

The horror!!!
Would you like to be woken up even just 2 times a night?
Old 26-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #50
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

5 seconds? Try a full minute. I can hear Moe Truckball's modified muffler arriving from a couple of blocks away, passing my my place, then the next couple of blocks as he is leaving. Even worse is Wally Wiggerstein's amped bass that causes windows to vibrate.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
5 seconds? Try a full minute. I can hear Moe Truckball's modified muffler arriving from a couple of blocks away, passing my my place, then the next couple of blocks as he is leaving. Even worse is Wally Wiggerstein's amped bass that causes windows to vibrate.
Good post SDM. this scenario by far is much more common in the city. And its year round, not the abbreviated 4 month riding season that is the norm in Edmonton.
Inevitably, this turns into an us vs. them debate. One thing we all agree on is there are modified vehicles emitting higher than acceptable noise levels.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #52
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Komrade, you clearly don't live in an area with a bike problem. Some of us did/do.
Man i used to live right on the 118 Avenue. Plenty of traffic noise.

I just happen to be one of those guys who doesnt care! Hard to believe it doesnt upset me i know. Infact, the rumble of a hog going past lets me know summer is in the air.
Old 26-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #53
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
The horror!!!
Would you like to be woken up even just 2 times a night?[/QUOTE]

No one likes being woken up at night. Ive been woken up at night by loud trucks, loud motorcycles, loud neighbours, loud sound systems, loud emergency vehicles ect.

Know what I do when that happens? I roll over, chalk it up to living in an Urban enviroment, and go back to sleep.
Old 26-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #54
240GLT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Man i used to live right on the 118 Avenue. Plenty of traffic noise.

I just happen to be one of those guys who doesnt care! Hard to believe it doesnt upset me i know. Infact, the rumble of a hog going past lets me know summer is in the air.
It's funny, When I go spend a weekend at the family cottage on Bridge Lake in the beautiful Chilcotin region of central BC, the first night I am there I literally can't sleep because it is so quiet. I am so used to living in a Central, busy region of the city that noise doesn't bother me.

The worst part about motorcycles is not the bike but the organ donor sitting on top of it. Most bikes will make louder noise if you are hard on the throttle, and the guys who just ride around cracking the throttle for the hell of it are just doing it for the attention. I just ignore them... vast majority are D-bags anyways, and you can never change that

I have a cherry bomb that I stuck on the back on my Volvo just for fun when I upgraded the exhaust... it wasn't really all that loud but when you matted it you could definitely tell (both power and noise) I took it off though because it turns out those things are illegal

Last edited by 240GLT; 26-04-2012 at 12:21 PM..
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #55
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

I have no problems with noise. I've lived in Oliver and central areas for a long time now. I live with noise from sirens, noise from garbage trucks, noise from the helicopter... I get that its part of living in an urban center... is unavoidable, and completely necessary.

I do however have problem with noise that is preventable. Whether that's from a truck that has straight piped exhaust, barreling down Jasper Ave in 2nd gear at 60km/h+ or a speed bike, or some honda civic with a soupcan muffler doing its best attempt to drop the transmission from over RPMing it... it doesn't matter. The noise is unnecessary and can be avoided... especially between 11pm and 8 am.
Old 26-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #56
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

I live in oliver area, and I lived just of 17th ave in Calgary. I don't even notice sirens or occasional drunks, or the occasional bike.
But I have never gone back to that italian restaurant on Whyte, by the Timmy's. We ate there once, on the patio, which is beautiful. We couldn't have a conversation though, because of the idiots with their penis enlargers going in circles. No point in going back to that patio, or trying to talk when walking down that part of Whyte.
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #57
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
You know rhetorical right? yet, you still have to post a reply. Yep, I know math. and your math tells me at 15 bikes p/hr thats 360 a day. 360 illegal bikes on one street per day. One would assume that kind of consistent obnoxious behavior would constitute a call to the police as that would be a prime 'fishing hole' for the enforcement officers. did you call them?
Also, did you SEE the offending bike(s) you know, the "types of people that do those things are narcissistic wankers that think they're doing the public a service by being noticed, feel they're above society"? Perhaps it was the same biker and your neighborhood is part of his commute, or his job (courier? haha), or he/she lives nearby?
didn't think you had a decibel meter, but no need, your superhuman hearing can differentiate between 95 and 97 decibels from your couch. awesome.
Yes I could see the offending vehicles (mostly bikes). I was 1/2 block off the street on the 3rd floor of a condo with clear view to the street. There were some repeat offenders, but since it's an arterial road with heavy traffic there were lots of different offenders. Yes I called the cops many times over the course of a few years, and they were a spectacular failure each and every time. I also competed in audio competitions when I was younger (I never played my stereo in residential areas and turned it down at red lights, in case you want to lump me in with the offenders) and am a dabbling musician so I have a really good comprehension of volume. Not good enough to differentiate between 95 and 97 decibels, but enough to know roughly what's legal and what isn't.

Anyway, the problem is mostly solved now. As long as enforcement is kept up, we will continue to have a civil society.

I also think it goes without saying that grossly offensive noise is anti-pedestrian. Noise legislation is in place to ensure all can have a good time outdoors in our city, not just a select few mutts with fancy muffler modifications.