Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 25-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
halocore
Addicted to C2E

Default Good concrete contractor in Edmonton?

Was wondering if anyone has had any good (or bad) experiences with a local concrete contractor? I'm looking to do a total redo of my garage floor, driveway, and a couple side walks, and I would prefer to get someone in rather then tackle it all myself.

I've phoned around, and prices seems to vary by quite a lot. I obviously want someone who does decent work though, so any recommendations or warnings against would be great to hear! Thanks.
halocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Ask for references and photos. People proud of their work will be more than happy to provide.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
chupa
Addicted to C2E

Ive used garden concrete and was very happy and impressed. Also it's a local company.
chupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
halocore
Addicted to C2E

Cool. Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into them.

And yeah, definitely I am asking for photos and references where I can. I'm just surprised how much of a cost difference there is between contractors. I would have thought X amount of concrete + man hours would be kind of standard.
Old 26-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
sundance
Addicted to C2E

X amount of concrete and the + man hours is fairly flat and consistent its the wage for each of those man hours that is the big variable. The worst part about floors and sidewalks is the bending over while you're working, ugh I'm getting a backache just from the memories.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
NickM
First One is Always Free

Just stumbled across your post. Contact gerhard at concrete design works. He has lots of experience and charges a fair price.
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
NickM
First One is Always Free

http://www.concretedesignworks.ca
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
kcantor
Addicted to C2E
Mr. Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
it's ".net", not ".ca" ( http://www.concretedesignworks.net )...
really just cranky, miserable and disagreeable on principle but happy to have earned the title anyway; downtown arena fan; edmonton 2017 world's fair and edmonton indy supporter; proponent of "edmonton works"
kcantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^lol, I guess it wasn't spam then.

I never understood when I came to Canada, why driveways aren't all stamped concrete, which is the norm downunder. I'm guessing its climate or similar, re shoveling, but not sure. Maybe just price?
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
halocore
Addicted to C2E

Thanks for the other recommendation NickM. I actually had to give up on finding a contractor for now. After months of unreturned calls and belligerent contractors, I just decided to scale back to only doing the garage floor this year by myself (and some friends/family hired with beer and bbq). But I will try again next year for the rest of the work.

Out of calling up 30+ companies, I only managed to get two quotes. Both were also apprehensive about doing such a "small job" (even though it be over 1000 sq ft of concrete). One downfall of Alberta I have to say. These contractors can all get big industrial / commercial jobs without effort, so they just have no interest in private residential work.

You're likely right moahunter. It is probably something to do with the weather. All the crevases in stamped concrete likely lead to ice buildup. Both a safety concern and likely shortens the lifespan of the driveway. Shame, because it can look really sharp.