Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 22-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
rupikhalon001
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Handicap Placard Abuse

There are some guys renting a house not too far from where I live. Some of these guys block the side walk, park facing the wrong way ( left wheels
to the curb). I see one of them has a Handicap Placard.

Now, he very well may be entitled to it, but, I have seen this guy run to and from his car, so I suspect he got it from somebody else.

Any ideas on what I should do ? Report this or just leave it go. ( who would(I even report this to ?)

TIA
rupikhalon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
jstock
Addicted to C2E

I've tried reporting someone for the same thing. Record the license plate number and try complaining to a registry.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
FlyFlyAway
Partially Addicted to C2E

^^Edmonton Parking Enforcement, apparently. Since the application for a placard does not require a license plate number, I presume Parking Enforcement would need to stake out the location and catch the person using the placard "in the act". Doesn't seem likely to happen (unless "this guy" leaves for work at the same time every morning?), but you're welcome to contact them to see what they suggest.
FlyFlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

Get the licence plate, make, model of the car and phone by-law. You could phone it in and say you would prefer not to give your name. Sometimes people have a disability sticker on a vehicle if they drive someone around who is disabled. They are only supposed to use the sticker when the disabled person is with them. They are not supposed to use it at other times. Another thing, I have heard that people try to steal those stickers for their own use, just to get good parking spots at Xmas etc:
Old 23-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

You'd have to give your name, but the people you complain about won't have access to it.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Legacy
Addicted to C2E

^ unless it goes to a court process, in which you will have to appear with your accusee.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
KC
Addicted to C2E

Videotape him and send it to the city.

Note though some people are good for walking short distances but can't walk very far or can't carry any substantial weight like groceries any distance.

I've seen what I'd guess are spouses using the tags to get closer parking to stores.

Every "advantage" is subject to some abuse.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Whats with all these snitches?

The civil thing to do is to approach your neighbour and have a conversation. Ask him why hes parking the way he does. Find out some info.

Society has become such a tattle-tale place. Are people that afraid to talk to others? Talk to the guy before you 'run and tell'