Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask Ed Need to find something in Edmonton? Have a question about moving, travelling or living here? This is the place to get answers from people who know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Ask Ed

Old 22-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
krazy_leb
First One is Always Free

Default New sod still soft after a year

Hello Everyone,

I laid my new sod late last summer, around the end of august. New house, new topsoil that was rolled prior to me laying the sod. I installed the sod, watered the top soil lightly prior to laying it and then I rolled it after. I didnt roll it too much because frankly I didnt really have the time. But it was rolled at least a little bit. Went over it twice with the rollers you typically get from home depot.

I noticed immediatly that the sod was soft and spongy, which i expected, but as the weeks went by it didnt really seem to firm up much. I would mow it and feel my feet sinking along the way.

Fast foward to today, its a beautiful day out, went outside thinking I could maybe rake it, and to my surprize it was still soft. walked right across it and it was still pretty soft. My kids were dissapointed because I wont let them on it yet.

Should I be worried? I did somewhat over water it to start with but I cant back after about 6 weeks. Anything I can do to help firm it up so my boys can start playing soccer outside

Thanks Everyone,
krazy_leb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

What ever you do DO NOT RAKE YOUR LAWN. It has not had time to take root and you will rip it up. Cut back on the watering until the soil is firm. Do not allow anyone on the lawn as long os the soil is soft as they will compact the soil.
In the future do not water until after you have layer the sod and rolled it. Also you can fertilize before you lay the sod. It works really well.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
Gemini
Addicted to C2E

My neighbor got new sod laid in late 2010. His sod still feels softer than mine (mines a lot older). I think the reason his feels softer is it's newer than mine and therefore in better condition. His is green and lush, mine, not so much. Even when I walk on the neighbors lawn it is a lot more springier than mine.
Old 23-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
krazy_leb
First One is Always Free

OK, I wont rake it. Thanks for the heads up. Its wierd parts of the lawn feel like they have taken (pull test) other sections are green but are barley attached to the dirt bellow. I tugged on one piece and I can see some new roots were forming so its not dead. Just not attached and might be why its still soft underneath.
Other neighbors had sod installed after me and theirs seems to be much greener and doesnt come out when I pull on it. One big difference is they got pure kentucky blue grass I got a blend of kentucky blue grass and fenske? I think thats how its pronounced.
Old 23-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Curmudgeon
First One is Always Free

Don't overdo the rolling. It compacts the soil hurting its ability to absorb water.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

suggest you phone the sod farm where you purchased it and ask thier opinion
sound to me like air trapped underneath
Try minimum of pitch fork perforation and rolling
Perhaps those long cleated shoes .... = Lawn Farts
Old 23-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Nomandel
Banned

Ur sitting on muskeg from the sounds of it.

You want a fine layer of sand or gravel to lay your sod on and will also allow for drainage to keep a healthy root system. you might want to ripp the sod up and do it right
Nomandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
krazy_leb
First One is Always Free

yah I dunno about that. New area, my lot was backfilled with clay and then I ordered the top soil and put down about 4 inches all around. No muskeg from what I can tell.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Nomandel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_leb View Post
yah I dunno about that. New area, my lot was backfilled with clay and then I ordered the top soil and put down about 4 inches all around. No muskeg from what I can tell.
Good luck with your clay and root rot with your grass, you need drainage and really this is grade six science. Are you really that dumb?

you want gravel or sand my friend
Old 23-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
krazy_leb
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomandel View Post
Quote:
Good luck with your clay and root rot with your grass, you need drainage and really this is grade six science. Are you really that dumb?

Wow, not sure what grade school you went to bud. But the one I attended taught something called manners. I am not dumb. I actually consider my self smarter then the average. Smart enough to ask for help when I know I need it. Smart enough to ask for advice. Your comment is rude but I'm going to assume you didnt really mean to call me dumb.
City of edmonton website, I assume you can read. As long as your swales are done right which they would have checked durring rough grade inspection:
http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...andscaping.pdf
Rough grade consists of clay, then your top soil then your grass. I'm not saying you wouldnt get better drainage the way your suggesting it. But it's not needed. My lot is draining just fine it all slopes away from my house and lot.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Nomandel
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomandel View Post
Quote:

Wow, not sure what grade school you went to bud. But the one I attended taught something called manners. I am not dumb. I actually consider my self smarter then the average. Smart enough to ask for help when I know I need it. Smart enough to ask for advice. Your comment is rude but I'm going to assume you didnt really mean to call me dumb.
City of edmonton website, I assume you can read. As long as your swales are done right which they would have checked durring rough grade inspection:
http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...andscaping.pdf
Rough grade consists of clay, then your top soil then your grass. I'm not saying you wouldnt get better drainage the way your suggesting it. But it's not needed. My lot is draining just fine it all slopes away from my house and lot.
Don't tale insult ok! Listen to the city or the stupididy the codes, laws etc reinforce
or take it from a farmer! You want quality green grass, you want the best grass you lay down a slab of gravel and you can build an orchard. City by developmental design is made for the bare minimum,
So you pick my friend what you want ok
Nothing grows on clay and it only destroys your soil and causes root decay!

To further these scam artist the city of Mandel ....they will charge you a drainaage fee for all that water you filter off from your lawn, why you think they lay clay? you know how clay works with water right ? 100,000 homes they make huge money on it, its a huge scam!

Last edited by Nomandel; 23-04-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Old 23-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
krazy_leb
First One is Always Free

Listen dude. I didnt come here to argue. I just want a lawn my kids can play on without them sinking. If your about to tell me the the 100000 homes out there all have grass like mine your wrong. People lay sod this way all the time. And it works just fine.
Is there a better way? Sure. No doubt about it. Is it the only way. NO
Everyone has had decent feedback. Thanks for the tip. But please dont be calling people dumb for seeking advice.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Clay is loaded with minerals the problem is that is that water will not penetrate it. You can mix organic material (grass clippings, leaves, compost) into clay and grow things quite nicely, but it will take a lot of work.

In your case you may want to lift up the sod in the soft areas see if you need to add some sand or other material to firm up the bed. Then lay the sod back down.

Soil is essentially sand, clay and organic material so try to find that happy balance and your grass (or in my case dandelions) will just be happy as clams.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote