Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton Oilers 2012 Off-Season Thread

So, what do the Oilers need to do next year?

Do they need to make any management changes?
Changes to the scouting staff?
Coaching changes? At the least, they need to keep whoever got their power play working.
Players? I think they are one stud D-man and an elite goalie away from being contenders.
Should they trade their first-round draft pick?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

NO coaching changes. get the best pick in 1st round and use as trade bait. need another solid defenceman and get more starts for Dubnyk early in the season. Get Jones more shifts on 1st and second line and we're playoff bound as long as there are no major injuries. 6-8th spot in the west is def possible next year.
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
Nosirrah
First One is Always Free

Draft Ryan Murray, best choice for the lineup since they need much more help on the blue line instead of offensively.
Nosirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

I'm ambivalent about coaching changes. I'm not a fan of some of the decisions Renney makes. However as I said in the other thread, I don't think coaching is as big of a factor as people make it out to be.

Tambellini on the other hand I do think has been mediocre or worse. The majority of his veteran signings have been poor (Bulin, Belanger, Barker, and Eager have all not turned out remotely well). I think the Schultz/Gilbert trade will in hindsight be a poor one. But on the other hand he did get a ridiculous return for Penner and got Smyth for next to nothing.

Our biggest need is defense, no question. However I'm not in the camp that says we need to draft a defenseman with our highest pick no matter what. Draft the best player available, not what position you need. First of all because even top end defensemen take 3-5 years to develop. Not to mention that the best D-men with a couple exceptions are almost always second round draft picks. Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, and Weber were all second round picks. Of the past 5 Norris winners over the previous 12 years, 3 are second round picks. The other two being Pronger and Niedermayer. Most d-men taken in the first round end up being good but not great, like Hamrlik. If you don't believe me, go read through the names of defensemen drafted in the first round from 2001-2007.

The Oilers have a ton of good D prospects coming up, and it's a need that might take care of itself. I don't think we need to make any huge changes in the off season, overall. Some of the under-performing veterans should be unsigned or traded, but I don't think there's any need to go out and make any blockbuster trades. As I laid out in the other thread, we're basically on schedule with the rebuild and making desperate moves to bring in high priced veterans after 2006 is what got us here in the first place.

Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 10-04-2012 at 07:00 AM..
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

If we win the draft lottery today, draft Yakupov.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Disagree. Trade down and use that to pair with someone for a trade.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^^I think that's the obvious thing to do, many are saying you can compare this years draft to when it was Ovechkin followed by Malkin. The fear is that the guy picked third that year, was Barker (D are harder to predict, there is no certainty Murray will live up to his billing). No worries about Nail either, he is already playing in North America. In writting that, if we could trade that pick for a young franchise D man, that would be a great move IMO that could be a win-win situation.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I'm firmly in the "draft the best player available" camp, as opposed to the "draft by need" camp. When the Oilers drafted by need in the past, they ended up with players like Pouliot instead of Parise.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
I'm firmly in the "draft the best player available" camp, as opposed to the "draft by need" camp. When the Oilers drafted by need in the past, they ended up with players like Pouliot instead of Parise.
I don't think that was a great example, because we traded that pick and kept a lower one that we used to draft Pouliot, if memory serves. Or we traded down. Either way Parise went above Pouliot. Trading that pick was a big mistake because other guys like Getzlaf, Richards, Perry and Burns were available as well. Arguably one of the best drafts in history and we completely blew it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Entry_Draft).

Drafting Steve Kelly instead of Shane Doan is a perfect example, however. During the 90's the Oilers continually drafted small, fast, supposedly skilled players. Kelly, Devereaux, Riesen, Henrich, and Rita were all terrible picks although they were also not particularly high ones.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ But choosing Pouliot over Parise is a good example of drafting by need because they wanted bigger players and the latter was not that. That's why the trade down was done.

The amateur drafting has been stronger in recent years, no doubt about that.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
AlanW9
Partially Addicted to C2E

If we win lottery take Yakupov. He's #1 you gotta take a potential superstar because you don't get many opportunities to get them. You can always use him to trade down the road if you really need to but you gotta take the best player of them all if you can. If you trade down you are decreasing your odds of aquiring a NHL regular caliber player. Bottom line.

In Stu I trust
AlanW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

The Oilers already have a lot of great young defense prospects and a good complement of small, skilled forwards. They don't need any more of those.

I would be tempted to see what that top 5 pick would be worth in a package deal on the trade market - a proven NHL-ready #2 or #3 defenseman? A big, tough, skilled winger who can play second-line minutes? I hope Tambo makes some phone calls and is open to seeing what's available out there.
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
I'm ambivalent about coaching changes. I'm not a fan of some of the decisions Renney makes. However as I said in the other thread, I don't think coaching is as big of a factor as people make it out to be.

Tambellini on the other hand I do think has been mediocre or worse. The majority of his veteran signings have been poor (Bulin, Belanger, Barker, and Eager have all not turned out remotely well). I think the Schultz/Gilbert trade will in hindsight be a poor one. But on the other hand he did get a ridiculous return for Penner and got Smyth for next to nothing.

Our biggest need is defense, no question. However I'm not in the camp that says we need to draft a defenseman with our highest pick no matter what. Draft the best player available, not what position you need. First of all because even top end defensemen take 3-5 years to develop. Not to mention that the best D-men with a couple exceptions are almost always second round draft picks. Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, and Weber were all second round picks. Of the past 5 Norris winners over the previous 12 years, 3 are second round picks. The other two being Pronger and Niedermayer. Most d-men taken in the first round end up being good but not great, like Hamrlik. If you don't believe me, go read through the names of defensemen drafted in the first round from 2001-2007.

The Oilers have a ton of good D prospects coming up, and it's a need that might take care of itself. I don't think we need to make any huge changes in the off season, overall. Some of the under-performing veterans should be unsigned or traded, but I don't think there's any need to go out and make any blockbuster trades. As I laid out in the other thread, we're basically on schedule with the rebuild and making desperate moves to bring in high priced veterans after 2006 is what got us here in the first place.
100% agree. No sense losing the faith at this point in time. I think a block buster trade only makes sense if it is the difference between winning the cup and not winning the cup. Making the playoffs or not doesn't warrant such drastic manouvers.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #14
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Perhaps we should hope the Oilers lose the NHL Draft Lottery tonight so they drop down and have to pick at #3 or #4.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
The Oilers already have a lot of great young defense prospects and a good complement of small, skilled forwards. They don't need any more of those.
D are hit and miss though, while we can hope that one of those prospects will become an elite franchise D, odds aren't in our favour. I agree that risky taking a D on draft though, Cam Barker at 3 after Ovechkin and Malkin was perfect example.

I still think would be worth trading that pick though if we got first overall, if we could get a proven genuine almost franchise number 1 D in return. In my dreams, Drew Doughty, but someone close to that ability would be worth giving up the number 1 overall for. A team in financial difficulty might be willing to do something like that.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton Oilers win draft lottery!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Well, if the Oilers draft Yakupov, we'll have two of the most dangerous lines in the NHL!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Too good. People must hate us.

Poor Columbus.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton Oilers; trolling the NHL for 3 years.

crazy but crazy good, although i would like some size in the top 6
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Trade #1 pick and someone for a #1 D or a goalie.

www.decl.org

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #21
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Nail Yakupov of the OHL's Sarnia Sting is expected by many to be taken No. 1 overall. Oilers is highly likely to get this player.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Calgary's gonna hate us next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #23
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton is the 2nd team in NHL to get 1 st pick for 3 rd straight year. Quebec is the first one happen in 1989 -1991.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
Calgary's gonna hate us next year.
If the Oilers traded that #1 pick to Toronto for Dion Phaneuf, they will hate us even more!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Trade #1 to Columbus for Nash

www.decl.org

Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

If the Oilers draft Yakupov (right wing), Hemsky and Eberle will make three right wingers. Hemsky might be the odd one out.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Thing is though, do we need another forward or do we pick the #2 ranked player Ryan Murray who is a defenceman.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Draft the best player available, not by need.

There is a distinct possibility that Justin Schultz signs with Edmonton.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...monton-oilers/
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #29
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

^That would be a heck of a steal.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
Trade #1 pick and someone for a #1 D or a goalie.
You don't trade a Yakupov period.

This is a generational talent that will make Hall and RNH look ordinary.

WE have an out of this world topsix again.

Nearly 1980's type gravy.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
Replacement
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
Thing is though, do we need another forward or do we pick the #2 ranked player Ryan Murray who is a defenceman.
Yakupov is in a class of his own in this draft. I would've picked Murray over Grigorenko with 2nd pick but theres no way you pass up on Nail with first pick.

We have some upcoming D, and with this forward nucleus we've just now notched into a whole other bracket.

You take Yakupov, say goodbye to highpicks, and hello to playoffs next year.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #32
Mla
Addicted to C2E

Take Yakupov, no debate. We might be able to attract some decent UFA players to fill in the gaps later especially with all the young talent that we would have.

Last edited by Mla; 10-04-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #33
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Blue Jacket fans (all 60 of them) reacting to draft lottery

Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #34
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mla View Post
Take Yakupov, no debate. We might be able to attract some decent UFA players to fill in the gaps later especially with all the young talent that would have.
+1
They better be throwing offers to Ryan Suter and that Justin Schultz kid.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

If they were picking 2nd or 3rd overall, I would consider a trade. But with 1 overall you take Yakupov. No question.

RNH, Hall, Eberle, and Yakupov would make one hell of a dynamic nucleus.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #36
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^not sure, I think they need to talk to him, and see how excited he is about playing in Edmonton. Here are some words of caution, which might indicate that trading down for a proven D talent could be a good move:

Quote:
This is one of the weaker drafts in recent memory, according to scouts. Most expect that Yakupov, who scored 85 points in 59 games this season, will go first overall. But expectations are tempered.

Few are expecting the speedy winger to be a franchise player in the same way that former No. 1 picks Steven Stamkos and Sidney Crosby are. Some are not even sure he will even develop into a top-line forward.

"There's not a complete package that's going to take the league by storm," NHL Central Scouting director Dan Marr told the National Post. "I think there's three or four guys who have the potential to go No. 1, but they might not be ready to step in right away."

After Yakupov, the order of players is anyone's guess. Injuries and a lack of top-end prospects have scouts torn as to who might be the next-best available player. For some teams, it could come down to organizational need.
Read more: http://www.canada.com/canada+blog+Th...#ixzz1rk6vuQjO
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Default For Edmonton, drafting Nail would be an Epic fail

Quote:
That pick happens to belong to the Edmonton Oilers, who secured the top choice for the third year in a row during Tuesday’s draft lottery. If Edmonton keeps the selection, it will almost certainly add Yakupov to a stable of young forwards that includes prior No. 1 picks Taylor Hall and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, along with the dynamic Jordan Eberle.

And that is precisely the problem with the Oilers’ game plan. As great as Yakupov could be, he isn’t going to shift Edmonton’s fortunes overnight. And for a team that has been in perpetual rebuild mode since its stunning run to the 2006 Stanley Cup finals, the opportunity to land an established player in an area of need should trump the addition of yet another fresh-faced teenager.

There will be no shortage of interest in the pick; Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini fielded a number of offers prior to his selections of Hall in 2010 and Nugent-Hopkins in 2011. But this time, Tambellini should actually take the calls, make the pick available to the highest bidder and instantly improve his team.

Edmonton’s biggest holes aren’t the kind you can patch up with one or two reasonably priced free agents – the defence corps remains one of the most porous in the NHL, and the goaltending situation hasn’t been stable in several seasons. Either of those concerns could be addressed with a blockbuster trade involving the No. 1 pick, and would go a long way toward transforming the Oilers into a force at both ends of the ice.
http://blogs.canada.com/2012/04/11/f...-an-epic-fail/
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #38
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

^which makes sense. Now if Yakupov is the type of player that will be able to step in and bring us to the playoffs and a championship then by all means lets take him, but if there are others out there that will better fit into the team concept that Tambellini has been building then let's go for that instead. In situations like this I'm very glad to only be an armchair GM. LOL.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Whatever he does, Tambo has the opportunity to change the team in a significant way. Draft Yakupov and you have a ton of talent up front, which may help lure a D, or trade the pick for D and you improve the team as well.

I don't know much about Yakupov, but he seems to be the favorite #1 by everyone. I would have been upset in the past if they traded the pick away, but I wouldn't be this year (assuming we get a good return for it).

We're out of the playoffs, but at least there's something to be excited about.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #40
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

One nice thing about this opportunity is that if the Oilers still suck a year from now, we can point the finger solely at Tambellini.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^isn't that the case now, considered the last couple of years? I agree though, maybe this time it will be a make or break decision, I'd like to seem some moves for once to:

- trim the number of borderline players (e.g. Omark, MVP, etc.)
- bring in a genunie #1 D, ideally with franchise potential
- maybe a goalie
- a top 6 forward with grit / size (we have Hartikannen I guess, but should have someone else).
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #42
JBear
Addicted to C2E

^^ Or Renny. Can't really blame Tambi with that amount of talent.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
^isn't that the case now, considered the last couple of years?
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...postcount=1078
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #44
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Columbus Draft Party, awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BFrjVx4B9X8

www.decl.org

Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #45
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
That was awesome. Although I do feel bad for those guys - big hockey fans in a city that doesn't really care and keeps losing.
mnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #46
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^you have a point, those are really loyal hockey fans.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #47
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Hard to figure, Ohio should be hockey country, but it ain't. Not in Cleveland. Not in Cincinatti, and needing a lot of civic help in Columbus.

Cleveland, Cincinatti - well, basketball, NFL, MLB - maybe too much competition for scarce entertainment dollars.

But Columbus (metro pop of 1.8 million)? Guess there's Ohio State to compete against - but I can't see what else.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #48
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

The Edmonton Oilers have won the NHL draft lottery and will pick first overall in this June's draft. As soon as it was announced, the debate began over what the team should do with that pick - trade it or take it. What are your thoughts?

Global Edmonton | Poll: What should Oilers do with first overall pick
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Linus Omark tweets apparent trade request:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...trade-request/
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #50
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Once the Oilers won the #1 overall pick, it was a foregone conclusion that the Oilers will have too much skill depth on the wing next year to keep Omark.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #51
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

But who will take Omark? I doubt his value is that great now if he was unable to crack the lineup of the 2nd worst team.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

It's been said that several teams might be interested. Just because he can't crack the lineup here doesn't mean he can't elsewhere. Every team has different needs and positions available. The Oilers are loaded up on small, talented forwards and there just wasn't room for him to get quality minutes on a scoring line.

That said, I don't expect much more than a second or third round pick, or spare part player.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #53
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

has anyone thought about Tobias Rieder and how he would fit into the lineup? Hes that kitchener rangers star player that the oilers best sign this summer. 42 goals and 42 assists in 60 games to lead the rangers .

Last edited by Drumbones; 12-04-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #54
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

also i think Tambo should give Brent Sutter a call. He would do well with the younger players as he has shown in Red Deer. He could be the guy, the piece of the puzzle.
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #55
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
also i think Tambo should give Brent Sutter a call. He would do well with the younger players as he has shown in Red Deer. He could be the guy, the piece of the puzzle.
No, no, NO! So glad the Oilers never hired Brent Sutter when they had a chance after firing MacT. It is so wrong to even consider hiring Mr. Sunshine.
Old 13-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #56
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
That said, I don't expect much more than a second or third round pick, or spare part player.
That's what I think as well, a 2nd or 3rd rounder, or maybe a goon. At that price, I guess could be worth keeping him just for the AHL team, but at some point he is going to leave for Europe or not re-sign as RFA if take that approach.

Last edited by moahunter; 13-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Europe not Sweden, he may play in Russia
Old 13-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #57
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
also i think Tambo should give Brent Sutter a call.
Yes, because he took the Flames to the next level.

If the Oilers put that mouth breather behind the bench I will riot.
Old 13-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #58
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
... Just because Omark can't crack the lineup here doesn't mean he can't elsewhere. Every team has different needs and positions available. ... That said, I don't expect much more than a second or third round pick, or spare part player.
Bang on. The best part of being an Oiler phan these days is wondering just how good our top six are going to be - and they're pretty darn good now!

But there are teams where Omark could crack the top six. Maybe package him and try for a solid fifth or sixth defenceman, or a Ryan Kessler-type pest who's worn out his welcome and needs a change of scenery.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #59
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Or package him with the 1st overall pick for a tier-1 D-man
Old 13-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #60
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think Corey Schnieder's off our list:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393050
Old 14-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #61
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

He apologized for the comment.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #62
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

I have zero problem with that comment, he's got a point. Who has strong feelings about the Islanders for example?
Old 15-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #63
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

^ Exactly. There is a reason why everyone hates the Yankees or the Dallas Cowboys back in the day.

I hope in a couple of years every hockey fan would hate the Oilers.

As for Corey Schnieder, I will forgive him when he gets traded to the Oilers.
Old 15-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #64
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

People hate the yankees cause they win all the time.

As for the Canucks it's an entirely different reason. Might have something to do with the diving, embellishments, whining and general unsportsmanlike conduct that has become the norm.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #65
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Why should we be miffed at Schneider? He's right!

If there's anyone we should jeer, it's the management of the Edmonton Oilers.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #66
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Why should we jeer the management of the oilers. The oilers are in the middle of a rebuild.
Old 15-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #67
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

The "rebuild" excuse will only last so long. The management was bad before the rebuild, and continues to be questionable.

Note that the stated goal for this past season (by S. Tambellini) was finishing above a lottery position. Result: 29th place and the 1st pick again.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #68
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

The more I watch the thuggery and the NHL's bush-league discipline in these playoffs, the more I think the Oilers will need more big vicious guys to protect their young stars if they make the playoffs. Players like Ottawa's Matt Carkner, who meted out 5-knuckle justice against Brian Boyle for roughing up Erik Karlsson.
Old 15-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #69
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
People hate the yankees cause they win all the time.

As for the Canucks it's an entirely different reason. Might have something to do with the diving, embellishments, whining and general unsportsmanlike conduct that has become the norm.
Yankees is hungry to win many more future world series because they want to increase team's value in case if they sell to future owners.
Old 16-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #70
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
The more I watch the thuggery and the NHL's bush-league discipline in these playoffs, the more I think the Oilers will need more big vicious guys to protect their young stars if they make the playoffs. Players like Ottawa's Matt Carkner, who meted out 5-knuckle justice against Brian Boyle for roughing up Erik Karlsson.
completely agree. this goonery is getting outta hand. refs need to pull thier heads out of their asses.

its pretty sad when it is a legitimate strategy to assault your opponents best player, take him out of the rest of the series and the only repercussion is maybe a 2 game suspension.

joke of a league...
Old 16-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #71
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Players like Ottawa's Matt Carkner, who meted out 5-knuckle justice against Brian Boyle for roughing up Erik Karlsson.
I've always thought a better tactic than going after the goon, is going after your opponents stars. You damage our guys, we will damage yours. You have to have goons who are skilled enough skaters to do it though, not the big guys, rather, more like Torres.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #72
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Nail wants to be an Oiler:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/1...o-be-an-oilers
Old 17-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #73
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^wow, thanks for link. I've changed my mind, I want this kid now, draft him:

Quote:
“I’ve played in Canada, in Sarnia, for the last two years. I love the people. I very much want to play for a Canadian team like Edmonton. I want to play for those guys!

“If they draft me, I will work very hard to make the team, give it everything I’ve got to work hard and play for the Oilers.

“I want to be No. 1. No. 1 is No. 1. I don’t want to be second or third.”
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/04/1...o-be-an-oilers
Old 17-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #74
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

That's sweet.

It would still feel a bit strange to have a Russian star on the Oilers. It just hasn't been the teams style in the past.
mnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #75
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Default Luongo?

Seems his days in Vancouver are over, and he will be traded:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...oberto-luongo/

He would be a massive upgrade over our current goaltending. While not cheap, at the moment we have plenty of cap room (and could maybe send Khabi to Vancouver to be their backup). Only problems I can see are:

1. Would Vancouver be willing to trade him to Edmonton (in same conference)?
2. Would he be willing to come to Edmonton (No trade clause).

He will have a point to prove though. Of course, Burke will probably outbid everyone and trade his number 1 pick for Luongo...

Last edited by moahunter; 19-04-2012 at 12:30 PM..
Old 19-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #76
richardW
Addicted to C2E

^have you seen his contract? no thanks man
Old 19-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #77
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^about $5.5 million per year cap hit, but yes pretty long. Could always buy him out one day though, and he's only 32. He could anchor the team for the next 5 or 6 years, and despite his playoff jiters, I think we would instantly be a playoff contender with one more D man and the Nail.

I do think the Leafs will overpay though, that's what they do.

Last edited by moahunter; 19-04-2012 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: not a vezina trophy winner, just finalist
Old 19-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #78
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Luongo certainly wasn't to blame for the Nuks losing the first two games.

Still, he's a huge gamble. Which Luongo do you get on any specific day - uber-confident, yet humble superstar? Or jumble of nerves, no self-confidence sieve?

He's a sort of upgraded Tommy Salo - but not enough to justify the shackles of his contract.

Take Yakupov - would give us three solid lines - package up Omark (who deserves to play somewhere in the NHL, just not our conference please Ghod) with someone and try to get a solid sixth defenceman.

I know, I know, you're wondering what drugs I'm on, but I honestly believe we have the makings of solid #2, 3, 4 and five d-men, any one of whom might still blossom into a stud. I also think Dubnyk could be our guy.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #79
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I don't think that's enough unless we are willing to wait 3 or 4 years and hope one of these guys comes through, we were worst team 1 years ago, and second worst this year. To move up the standings significantly, we need some more proven talent on D, and ideally also goal, now. Tambo has been pretty clear that this time he is going to improve D in offseason, I guess we will see. I hope we pick up some goalie in the offseason, I doubt would be Luongo, but he will be the best available.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #80
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

No thanks to Luongo.
I predict he'll go to Philly, a team that hasn't had an elite goalie since Hextall.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #81
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
^have you seen his contract? no thanks man
The length is a problem, but the cap hit is actually pretty reasonable. Salary is fairly high for the next 6 years, but it declines quickly after that. And since he signed it before he was 35, if he retires before the last few years where he's only making a million or two, it won't count against our cap like if Bulin were to retire this summer.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=683

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter
Could always buy him out one day though, and he's only 32.
Buying someone out doesn't eliminate the cap hit, it just spreads it out. We'd likely have him on the books until honest to go 2028 or something ridiculous like that.

Yup: http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator...06&buyout_d=15

Quote:
^I don't think that's enough unless we are willing to wait 3 or 4 years and hope one of these guys comes through, we were worst team 1 years ago, and second worst this year. To move up the standings significantly, we need some more proven talent on D, and ideally also goal, now.
I want nothing to do with Luongo and his contract. See how Dubnyk does playing 60 games next year, and if need be start looking next summer if he doesn't pan out and none of our goalie prospects appear close to playing either.

As far as D goes, we're only a top pairing D and one or two depth guys from having a pretty solid blue line, assuming Whitney gets back in to form next year with a fully healed ankle. Petry might well be that guy. The whole goal of the rebuild is to improve from within, and the Oilers aren't interested in mortgaging the future to make a splash picking up a big D man that will be in the twilight of his career when they're ready to contend in yes, 3 or 4 years.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #82
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
No thanks to Luongo.
I predict he'll go to Philly, a team that hasn't had an elite goalie since Hextall.
And they'll move the Universe and his contract how?
Old 19-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #83
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ It's Philly, man! They'll gladly pay for mediocre goaltending!
Old 19-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #84
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Perhaps you didn't notice, but they already have: http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1141

That's what I meant by The Universe.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #85
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I want nothing to do with Luongo and his contract. See how Dubnyk does playing 60 games next year, and if need be start looking next summer if he doesn't pan out and none of our goalie prospects appear close to playing either.
Dubby is developing well, but he will never be in the league of Luongo or Kipper. IMO we need an upgrade in goal for the whole season, not just the odd good stretch during the year. It doesn't have to be Luongo though.

I agree we shouldn't mortgage ourselves for a D, but I do think we should "try" to move some of our prospects for a top pairing D, along with a roster player, perhaps Gagner. If the guy is good enough, I'd say even next years first round pick should be in play (which would be a confident statement by management that we will make progress this year, and we aren't exactly so short of prospects that we couldn't miss one year of a mid level 1st rounder).

Last edited by moahunter; 19-04-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 19-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps you didn't notice, but they already have: http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1141

That's what I meant by The Universe.
Yeesh, that is obscene!

The Globe and Mail thinks Tampa Bay is his likeliest destination, Leafs would be iffy.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2407649/
Old 19-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #87
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Dubby is developing well, but he will never be in the league of Luongo or Kipper.
And how many Cups do each of them have?

Winning a Cup is as much about getting hot at the right time as it is about putting up great regular season numbers for numerous years. Luongo and Kipper have as many or less Stanley Cup final appearances and wins as journeymen like Roloson (1), Emery (at least 2?), Osgood (4?), Conklin (3 or 4?), Howard (2), Boucher (1), Leighton (1) and many others. Granted some of those guys were backups in one or more of the years they made it, but the point remains.
Old 19-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #88
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
... we shouldn't mortgage ourselves for a D, but I do think we should "try" to move some of our prospects for a top pairing D, along with a roster player, perhaps Gagner. If the guy is good enough, I'd say even next years first round pick should be in play (which would be a confident statement by management that we will make progress this year, and we aren't exactly so short of prospects that we couldn't miss one year of a mid level 1st rounder).
Not sure why you're so anxious to get rid of Gagner. On the 1 or 1A lines he was uber-effective. (and I know - early in the year I complained long and loud about Gags too - mea culpa).

We're not swimming in high scoring centre-ice prospects - RNH, Gags ..and, uh ..... umm ....errr. Horc's a good face-off centre - an asset to the PK but, ignore his salary, Horc's never going to be our 1 or 1A offensive centre.

So, looking at our defence - place them where you like, but I think Smid, Petry, Whitney and Shutz make a solid second and third defence pair - one of whom might easily fit in as a 1A. You see despair, I see hope, actually.

Depth ..meh. Prospects and aging suspects - though I think Corey Potter (especially as a point man on the PP) is a decent NHL calibre fifth or sixth defenceman.

Give Dubnyk his 60 games, I agree, and if he fails to prove he's going to be a solid starter, I believe a Finnish dude named Kiprusoff from somewhere just down the QEII is UFA come 2013, n'est pas? He might enjoy having a courtiere of fast, skilled young guns in front of him - and a decent back-up who could shoulder a fair share of the work load.

At least, it'd be a huge departure from the aging mediocrity he'll likely have to put up with, yet again, in 2012/13.
Old 19-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #89
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

I don't think any team should pay more than $5M/year for a goalie.

There are goalies who are ultra-elite (Lundqvist and Rinne...maybe Quick). Then there are very consistent and above-average goalies (Kipper, Howard, Luongo).

Goaltending is such a fickle position.

At one point Ryan Miller was considered the best goalie in the world, but look how far he has fallen. Marc-Andre Fleury is brutal in this year's playoffs. Brian Elliott and Halak were busts until this season.

Dubnyk has the tools to be an upper-echelon goalie.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #90
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
As far as D goes, we're only a top pairing D and one or two depth guys from having a pretty solid blue line, assuming Whitney gets back in to form next year with a fully healed ankle. Petry might well be that guy. The whole goal of the rebuild is to improve from within, and the Oilers aren't interested in mortgaging the future to make a splash picking up a big D man that will be in the twilight of his career when they're ready to contend in yes, 3 or 4 years.
I agree we are 1 or 2 D away, but we won't build a top elite D from within a fast enough time to match the development of the forwards, simply because D develop slower than forwards. We could end up a few years down the line with forwards coming UFA / being lost, just when our D is peaking. That won't win us a cup. This is why Tambo will probably do something to enhance the top pairings D in the offseason, likely at the cost of a prospect or two, and yes, possibly at the cost of a player like Gagner or even a future 1st round pick. I don't want to trade Gagner, but he is an option and could be expendable given how many small skilled fowards we have, and his value is high.

Last edited by moahunter; 19-04-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 20-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #91
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Luongo's wife wants to be in Florida... so if she is unhappy with Vancouver do you think it will work out well with him coming here?

www.decl.org

Old 20-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #92
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

No surprise who the Calder nominees are:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393716
Old 20-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #93
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

Henrique will win. I base that on the fact that there are more hockey writers covering Eastern US teams, so more writers will have seen him play. If you look at previous winners, the majority are from teams in the Eastern US.

P.S. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #94
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Look at games played though... please

www.decl.org

Old 20-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #95
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^I'd love him to win, but word is it will probably go to Landeskog because of his complete 2 way physical play. Might have been different if RNH had stayed healthy I think. And, I also think being in the West counts against both of them, and could result in Henrique winning.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #96
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Default Klefbom to spend another year in Sweden

Bit sad, I have high hopes for Klefbom and was hoping to see him a bit next season, but I guess he needs another year to be ready:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ing-in-sweden/
Old 25-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #97
richardW
Addicted to C2E

lets get Eberle on the cover of NHL 13

NHL.com/covervote
Old 25-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #98
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Good news on the farm - OKC Barons advance to next round of AHL playoffs:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...526/story.html
Old 29-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #99
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Should Oilers trade their 1 st pick this year for Jason Staal ??

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-jordan-staal/
Old 29-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #100
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

no