Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other LRT systems This forum is to discuss ideas from other non-Edmonton based LRT, streetcar, tram, and any rail/monorail system.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Mass Transit > Other LRT systems

Old 13-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Default Riding the C-Train

This video is sort of fun, a 5 minute compressed video of the 35km C-Train North South in Calgary. Its interesting to compare / contrast the North-South Calgary line with the Edmonton line. Aside from the downtown segment (where Calgary is at grade), they are quite similar.

Hope a similar video is done for Edmonton's LRT.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/...-in-5-minutes/
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

The biggest thing I notice while watching this is that the stations aren't ridiculously overblown. Just a platform with some shelter. Also, people aren't afraid of the train. They're able to cross the tracks in a lot of cases without pedways (I assume that the ones in the middle of the video were downtown and tied into the +15s).

Anyway, I can't wait until we've got the E/W line as well as NAIT done so we more than 4 modern stations to compare to the c-train.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
The biggest thing I notice while watching this is that the stations aren't ridiculously overblown. Just a platform with some shelter. Also, people aren't afraid of the train. They're able to cross the tracks in a lot of cases without pedways (I assume that the ones in the middle of the video were downtown and tied into the +15s).
I liked the stations too. It took me a long time in Edmonton to adjust to underground stations for downtown. In Calgary, I could find my way by looking out of the windows. It was also easier to use the LRT because I just had to go up a short ramp or staircase to get to the platform rather than using escalators/elevators to get into the subway.

No, the stations aren't really tied into the +15s. Some of the downtown stations are in front of a building entrance. You need to enter the building to be in the pedway system.

Eve
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Ok, maybe I was just seeing +15s that were over the tracks or something then.
Old 13-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ Yup.
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
JordanGalhanth
Partially Addicted to C2E

After watching the video, I can kind of understand why the C-Train seems to have so many more accidents than Edmonton's system. Having a train driving right down the road may save money from tunnelling underground, but after seeing all those pedestrain and car crossings where the train had to yield for other people, it's imaginable that an accident could happen very easily.
JordanGalhanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

If Edmonton were to built from downtown to Millwoods in the near future, I expect that were going to happen just like Calgary does in downtown area.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

It looks as though alot of the lines Calgary has follow existing ROW's. Since they already had a route laid out, the planning would be that much easier to into place one would think. Edmonton has limited access to the West and Southeast. 2 very difficult lines to design when so many factors are in play.