Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion

Old 13-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

Default How the Oilers and Edmonton are perceived across Canada

Interesting article about how Canadians see other Canadian cities and their hockey teams.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/12/f...am-in-the-nhl/

The Oilers scored highest being described as: down to earth, clean, and undervalued.

For Edmonton: growing, boring, down to earth.

Does the success of our NHL team at least partly define the perception of the city?
mnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You For This Useful Post:
Hilman (13-04-2012)
Old 13-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton quite similar to Calgary in responses other than 'fresh'

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

I find it somewhat telling that Edmonton isn't rated as the highest or lowest in any category. Middle of the road. Not bad enough to warrant any attention, not good enough to demand it.

Edmonton:
Canada's Middle Child.
Alex.L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
mnugent
Addicted to C2E

^^Edmonton and Calgary are similar in many categories but it's evident how important branding is to the cities perception.

^This should be a priority for the city already. Rebrand the city. One consistent message that people think about.
mnugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Brentk
Addicted to C2E

Edmonton can brand itself, but along with branding verbally the citizens of Edmonton need to take pride in their city, and at the moment most Edmontontians may love the city, but hang their head low because we don't really have anything to show why we are proud besides "the people are nice".

I do believe that is about to change with the redevelopment of Downtown, more private investment from companies, upgraded roads, increased art, street scaping, and etc...

Since I've moved to Edmonton the city already looks 100% better when you arrive from the south on the QEII due to Ellerslie and 23rd ave interchanges. I just hope they add some trees to some of those areas.

with all the development for areas around the new "rexall" and "commonwealth" proposed people will be able to brag about those major venues. I remember living in the states during the cup run and people in NC making fun of our stadium location/city...not a good.

so in short, while there is much the city of Edmonton needs to do still we are headed in the right directions. I sure hope the Alberta Museum and Airport Redevelopment continue....
Brentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

During an (old) Oiler cup run, USA Today described ourtown as "unassuming," which is so much nicer than boring, even if it's a simile.
Old 13-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E