Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Air/Rail Links Edmonton continues to improve its ranking as a major transportation hub for northern Canada and beyond. New air routes, more cargo, Port Alberta, a major rail operations centre and the related infrastructure are all part of this increasingly critical component of the regionís economic growth. Contribute your ideas and comments here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Growing Edmonton > Air/Rail Links

Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton has lowest airfare in the country

Interesting statistic here,

Edmonton has the lowest domestic airfares in Canada according to this table. Perhaps this explains why Air Canada doesn't like us too much.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

It's likely because 25% of our flights are uber cheap flights to Calgary.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
YEGatc
Partially Addicted to C2E

^You're probably not far off the mark with that comment. Admittedly, I haven't even looked at the linked article but I remember looking at Stats Can statistics wrt airfares and while does show average domestic airfares, nowhere did it compare city pairs or anything of that nature. It was simply "Average Domestic" airfares.... So in my mind, that suggests that they're comparing strictly raw and unfiltered data, meaning the stage lengths of flight certainly could come into play. A lot of YEG's flights are to YYC, YMM, and the west coast i.e. short haul. But with that in mind, you would also think YOW (for eg.) would have very low average airfares...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Just shy of $1400 poorer for the GF and I to fly return to Kelowna over Easter - this table seems pretty meaningless.

Funny, when my weekly Travelzoo top 20 arrives, guess which prairie city has the highest airfares?

Uh-huh, that'd be us.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Just shy of $1400 poorer for the GF and I to fly return to Kelowna over Easter - this table seems pretty meaningless.

Funny, when my weekly Travelzoo top 20 arrives, guess which prairie city has the highest airfares?

Uh-huh, that'd be us.
That's rough. I don't think we've ever paid more than about $700 round trip to Kelowna, but then again we hunt down the seat sales usually.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Expensive airfares over the Easter long weekend, shocking
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
howie
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Uh-huh, that'd be us.
That's rough. I don't think we've ever paid more than about $700 round trip to Kelowna, but then again we hunt down the seat sales usually.
That is rough. We just booked a Westjet seat sale for the two of us to Moncton for $1211.00 return.