Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mass Transit Here’s where to discuss LRT, BRT, PRT, and other mass transit initiatives, ideas and dreams for the greater Edmonton region.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Mass Transit

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #2101
thatguy
Addicted to C2E

nice to see so much work through the winter period. i expect this summer a lot will happen and we will get a true sense of this project as the stations take shape.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #2102
Mla
Addicted to C2E

I wonder if the whole line will be completed early because of how mild the winter was.
Mla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #2103
highlander
Addicted to C2E

I don't have any inside knowledge, but my guess is that unless they are so far ahead that they can open at the beginning of January 2014 they will keep the opening at the end of April. Unless there was already considerable safety in the schedule I don't see it happening. Of course, if next winter is like this too...
highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #2104
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

well it would be nice if opening of the line could be early, although I agree that the likelyhood of this happening is fairly slim.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #2105
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Looking at the LRT, they have the first tunnel walls poured at 105 Avenue. Also, 105 Street (105-107 Avenue) will be closed:

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...ar_19_2012.pdf

March update: http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...March_2012.pdf
Old 14-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #2106
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

The MacEwan station is coming along nicely. You can start seeing where everything is going to be. Pictures from March 13, 2012

I can't wait for the 105st construction to start, gives me more pictures to take, lol.
I also wonder how far along they are so far in the tunnel excavation? Have they gotten to the Epcor cavity yet? Also I don't remember if it was mentioned but I wonder if they will be digging the tunnel section between Epcor and Churchill starting from Epcor or starting from Churchill?
Old 14-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #2107
highlander
Addicted to C2E

i think they said somewhere that it would be dug through epcor. it makas sense, too, since it avoids having another big hole. the march update says that they are tunneling 24/7.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #2108
sundance
Addicted to C2E

So why would they call it sequential excavation method when the term New Austrian tunnelling method is the more common term? Man some people, just when you learn one term they up and change it.

By using this method you don't have to rip up the street. But it has more risks to settling and cave ins than using a TBM (or mole).

Last edited by sundance; 15-03-2012 at 10:26 AM..
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #2109
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

I haven't a clue, I just call the "big machine dig a big hole method"
Old 15-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #2110
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
All Aboard!

March 15, 2012
Second North LRT construction season begins early

The City of Edmonton is taking advantage of the mild weather to officially launch the second full construction season for the North LRT to NAIT.
“We’re pleased to get a head start on what will be a very busy year for the North LRT project,” said Program Manager Brad Smid. “Construction activities are about to ramp up throughout the North LRT right-of-way, from Churchill Station to NAIT, in pursuit of our goal of creating more public transit options and enhancing the way we move in Edmonton.”
The first major task of the 2012 North LRT construction season begins Monday, March 19, when a two-block section of 105 Street between 105 Avenue and 107 Avenue will close until November.
Traffic will continue to flow across 105 Street at 106 Avenue and 107 Avenue, except for alternating month-long closures at each intersection. Motorists can detour using 101 Street or 109 Street to avoid travel delays. Pedestrian access will be maintained, except for portions of the crosswalk at 105 Street/105 Avenue and periodic closures across 105 Street at 106 Avenue/107 Avenue.
“105 Street is being reconstructed to accommodate LRT tracks in the centre of the roadway and single traffic lanes on either side, in each direction,” said Smid. “Similar to our approach with Kingsway last year, our goal is to focus all the required roadwork on 105 Street to a single construction season so we can minimize impacts to the area throughout the rest of the project.”
The 2012 North LRT construction season schedule also includes:
  • Track crossing construction and major closures on 111 Avenue, 106 Street and Princess Elizabeth Avenue.
  • Tail track construction just south of Health Sciences Station, to allow trains to safely switch directions to return to NAIT.
  • Building the 700-metre tunnel between Churchill and MacEwan stations.
  • LRT station structures at MacEwan, Kingsway/Royal Alex and NAIT.
  • Concrete track slabs along the entire right-of-way.
The City of Edmonton would like to thank motorists, pedestrians, businesses and residents for their patience during construction.

For more information:

Lindsay Yarmon
Title Communications Officer Telephone 780-496-8191
780-914-5074 (cell)
http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ll-aboard.aspx
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #2111
IanO
Addicted to C2E

St. Albert and Edmonton receive provincial funding for LRT study

March 16, 2012

Future transit between Edmonton and St. Albert received a boost on March 13, 2012 as Alberta Municipal Affairs approved a $250,000 grant towards an LRT alignment study. The Northwest LRT Concept Plan Study will look at developing an extension from NAIT station in Edmonton to a future transit centre near St. Albert, which is part of the Capital Region Board’s 30-year Transit Plan.
“Regional public transportation is vital to our future and collaborating with the City of Edmonton and the Province will help make it reality,” says St. Albert Mayor Nolan Crouse. “This funding helps us take that critical next step to build and link the St. Albert - Edmonton Transit Centre/Park and Ride with a future LRT terminal station, which will meet both the short-term and long-term transportation needs of our residents.”

Adds Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel: “The City of Edmonton has made expanding the LRT network our number one transportation priority. As Edmonton and the Capital Region continue to grow, it is vital that we work together with the Province to ensure reliable, efficient long-term transit solutions.”

The Northwest LRT Concept Plan Study is an estimated $1.1 million project that is expected to be completed by December 2012. It will identify the LRT route, station locations and track alignment within the approved corridor between NAIT station and the regional South Transit Centre/Park and Ride by St. Albert. Public consultation along the route corridor will also take place in 2012. The study and public input will inform a draft LRT Concept Plan.

St. Albert will receive information on the location, size and configuration of the land needed for the South Transit Centre/Park and Ride as it coordinates with the Edmonton northwest LRT terminal station in the Transportation Utility Corridor (TUC), located in the southeast corner of the intersection between St. Albert Trail and Anthony Henday Drive.

The $1.1 million project funding is broken down as follows:

City of St. Albert - $50,000
City of Edmonton - $800,000
Alberta Municipal Affairs Grant - $250,000

In October 2011, the City of St. Albert agreed to financially support the project up to $122,750. With the approved $250,000 grant from the Province’s Regional Collaboration Program, both cities are able to leverage those dollars; the City of St. Albert will now commit $50,000 for the study. The remaining $72,000 will stay in the City’s LRT Task Force/LRT Reserve.

The results of this study will support the cities’ joint approach to the Minister of Alberta Infrastructure to permit access to the TUC lands. This will allow St. Albert to proceed with building the South Transit Centre/Park and Ride.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...LRT-study.aspx

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #2112
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

can someone please explain this whole tail track thing or give me an image of what it would look like on our lrt line because im not understanding the whole point of it. If its anything like a x cross over witch we already have on the line between the stations why cant we just use that?
Magnoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #2113
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

I was having a look at the area where the tail track could potentially go. I can see that there is obviously some space so it is obviously doable. They haven't started work yet though, hopefully soon.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2114
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Looks like they're kicking ***** on 105 Street. They're tearing it up already.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2115
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

WOW thanks for the answers there.......
Old 21-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #2116
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

the two paralel lines are the main line, the lines that come off it are the tail track. Imagine Health Sciences station a bit north of the picture. Note that you can pull off the main line on to the tail track, and then come back on the other track, but to do so, you need the driver to switch ends. Doing that is possible on the main line, but would potentially impede other trains as the driver switches. Pulling off to the tail track won't impede other trains.

Also, perhaps you should use google. or give a bit more time for someone to answer your queries
Old 21-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #2117
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

it doesnt take the driver that long to walk the length of the train on the main line does it? and i did use google and it was no help it just showed loops and didnt explain very well what the use was for
Old 21-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #2118
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Trains will be coming every 2.5 minutes when both lines are on. You also need to head the wrong way out of health sciences if you have the driver switch in the station...
Old 21-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #2119
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

they should have put a crossover on the ramp that leads up to health sciences would have made things easier imo and it makes no sense why they never did make this tail track thing and pedway when they were making the station in the first place
Old 21-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #2120
azzey
Partially Addicted to C2E

They didn't built it all originally because the plans were not finalized when the station was built.

It makes far more sense to build what was needed at the time but with provisions for future additions, than to guess what will be needed and have to rip it out later anyway.
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #2121
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

When SLRT was built, plans were made for WLRT using university ave to 87ave to WEM... things change (for better or worse). The tail track (from my understanding) goes roughly where the track to WLRT could've gone.
Old 21-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #2122
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

And as for the pedway I don't doubt that it has a whole lot more to do with the UofA, Edm Clinic North and South then it has to do with the LRT. Now this is only an assumption but I have a feeling that the UofA said we want a pedway to connect all three buildings and the they said, "hey let's ask if ETS wants to connect the station to the pedway at the same time."
Old 22-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #2123
AAAAE
Addicted to C2E

So do we know the train lengths and service frequencies planned? I cannot find any info online about this.
AAAAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2124
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
So do we know the train lengths and service frequencies planned? I cannot find any info online about this.
well with service not running till 2014 i say maybe wait till next year sometime before they roll out numbers im still trying to visulize where the trains will be coming into churchill from i have a rough idea but im not too sure
Old 22-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #2125
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Trains will be coming into and out of churchill from directly north. If you go to the north end of the churchill platform, and look down the tunnel, you will see the tracks veer to the right but straight ahead, you will see where the cuts will happen, as they have long planned an connection for this.

Last edited by Medwards; 22-03-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 22-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #2126
azzey

Medwards' earlier post shows it fairly clearly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the photo above, we are seeing the break out wall of where the NLRT will head north from the existing line. I've used the image above to highlight where it is...

azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #2127
Taras
First One is Always Free

Default Tail track

Here's my rendering of the possible tail track.

Noticed some preliminary markers and fencing placed in the area.

Also, I suspect they will need to swap out the wye switch for a Double Outside slip switch
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #2128
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzey View Post
Medwards' earlier post shows it fairly clearly:
Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the photo above, we are seeing the break out wall of where the NLRT will head north from the existing line. I've used the image above to highlight where it is...

no i get that its the path what about the northbound track will it be going into there as well because if so they will have to move there ac units or whatever those silver things are and the one piller there looks like its in the way of a swtich location

Last edited by Magnoblade; 22-03-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Old 22-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #2129
highlander
Addicted to C2E

There's a second niche for the northbound track, and there's nothing in the way.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #2130
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

actually, that stuff in the middle is just storage... and the northbound track would go in the space between the two pillars to the right of where the southbound track would come out of.

(you can't tell there's another cut out there, because its blocked by the pillar - go to Churchill station.... you'll see what I mean)
Old 22-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #2131
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
actually, that stuff in the middle is just storage... and the northbound track would go in the space between the two pillars to the right of where the southbound track would come out of.

(you can't tell there's another cut out there, because its blocked by the pillar - go to Churchill station.... you'll see what I mean)
was there yesterday actualy i guess i will just have to wait till they punch though the wall to actualy get some better understanding of how it will look and im guessing they will have to shut down the southbound track to do most of that work im guessing
Old 22-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #2132
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

yes, I would expect that there would be some unavoidable temporary closures while they connect the two lines... I'd imagine it would be the last part of the project, and they would try to have everything done over a weekend or something.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #2133
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

im guessin there going to have to shut the whole line down when they have to put the crossover in unless they have a plan on how to do that without cutting everyone off does anyone know when tunneling is to begin and how long its going to take let alone how far they have to tunnel since they have made part of the tunnel in the epcor tower allready
Old 22-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #2134
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

They will probably have contingency bus service between Stadium and Central for the affected area, and they will probably do it over several weekends to have the least impact. This would be no different that when they do maintenance on other parts of the line and have shut down a section of track.

The tunneling has already started... if you spent a few minutes on the city website, I'm sure you can find a pile of information... or even review this thread.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #2135
rupikhalon001

What happens if the driver has to go to the washroom ? They must have to wait till they get to the end of the line either CP or Clareview.
rupikhalon001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2136
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
They will probably have contingency bus service between Stadium and Central for the affected area, and they will probably do it over several weekends to have the least impact. This would be no different that when they do maintenance on other parts of the line and have shut down a section of track.

The tunneling has already started... if you spent a few minutes on the city website, I'm sure you can find a pile of information... or even review this thread.
i didnt see any mole machine or anything so how excatly are they doing the tunneling on this one then?
Old 22-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #2137
highlander
Addicted to C2E

There's no mole, it's hand tunneled from the portal.

Regarding the track connection, I expect that it will be completed this spring and summer. I've heard several times that that's when the tail track will be constructed, and it only makes sense to do all the work that will disrupt the existing line all at once.
Old 22-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #2138
highlander
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
5 minute service with all 4 car trains as soon as all the refurbished trains are back. They expect to roll out 5 cars in regular service in 2018. We should see 5 car trains at reduced frequency very soon to accommodate construction.
Old 23-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #2139
jstock
Addicted to C2E

^ not for the NAIT line. 2 or 3 cars only. Review the ETSAB minutes on the City website.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #2140
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Took the train today, and it looks like this is where the tail track will be going. It will start right after (just south of) the pedestrian crossing between 83rd ave and University ave.
Old 26-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #2141
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

A few pictures from this past week.

Old 26-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #2142
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

Cool. Thanks for the update!
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #2143
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Took a drive around the NLRT line... looking forward to 2012 progress on it.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 26-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #2144
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Bet the paramedics (blue and grey building in picture 3) will be happy when then construction passes their place. Should be fairly quickly though given the general progress. I wonder if they're laying track right away or doing it all at the same time when the rail beds have been prepared for a decent stretch.

Eve
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #2145
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

This line is going to be so nice with the tree canopy, then 'the castle' on route. Hope the rest of the line is at least nicely landscaped (but not overkill).
Alex.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #2146
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think the city could get some mileage using those 70-foot canopies (from 106 street) during the rainy days in spring or summer.
Old 30-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #2147
Axb
First One is Always Free

i was on the LRT this morning and a new LRV was delivered, sitting by the coliseum station. It seems like its the SD160 because of the security camera sticking our from that blue cover when it's being wrapped up.
Axb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #2148
jstock
Addicted to C2E

^^It was probably just a refurbished U2. I'm pretty sure the new SDs aren't coming until 2013.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #2149
Axb
First One is Always Free

I just happen to see another one on my way home. The one that I saw this morning was wrapped in blue plastic and it says Siemens on it. Then this one I just saw was wrapped in white that says bombardier on it,and for sure this is the old ones because the plastic was partially ripped off ready.
Axb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #2150
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

So I'm curious how many more trains have to be refurbished and how many more new trains need to arrive. I know there is at least one train that is currently in service that has to be completely refurbished because it looks just horrid right now. The chairs and the floors definitely look like they have been in used for the past 20+ years.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #2151
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Thanx for the pictures Cowboy. I wonder if those trees are ...
box elders.
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #2152
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

They're pouring the second section of the tunnel wall at the 105 Avenue portal entrance. More construction on the MacEwan station platform.
Old 20-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2153
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Cool vantage today at lunch from Bell, sorry no pics, but good progress.

www.decl.org

Old 20-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #2154
highlander
Addicted to C2E

They're forming the station Platform. I' hoping to get a chance to visit inside the tunnel this spring. If it goes I promise pictures.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #2155
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

^ That'd be awesome, looking forward to seeing them
Old 22-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #2156
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

I'm mainly curious as to how far down the tunnel they are? As for the station, it seems to be coming along quite nicely.
Old 23-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #2157
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Phase 1 of Churchill Station begins Sunday the 29th. Contractors will be fencing off approximately 1/3rd of the platform. This will be the same side as the current escalator reno. Approximately 3 feet (1m) of tiling will be removed. This will leave a space for the yellow bump strips to be installed.

Phase II will involve a closure of the other side for the same thing. This will coincide with the closure of the north escalator for complete removal and replacement. Installation of the new switchover tracks will occur at the same time as these retrofits in order to minimize total disruption time.

Completion by September, although the north escalator might take longer.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #2158
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

This is good news.
Old 24-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2159
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Today at TIC:
Discussion of a tail track into the ECCA lands

Last edited by jstock; 24-04-2012 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Link no longer valid
jstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #2160
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ This file is currently not available
Old 24-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #2161
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Interesting; I checked it right after jstock posted it and it was there.
Old 24-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #2162
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Must have just been live for the TIC meeting.
It was between 20-30 million for an extension into the ECCA lands. Just a storage tail track. potential crossover.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #2163
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Spring 2012 Newsletter: http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...Newsletter.pdf
Old 27-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #2164
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Red construction ribbon in the LRT tunnel north of Churchill going up.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #2165
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

yeah,I noticed this on my commute this afternoon. must be getting ready for Sunday.
Old 27-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #2166
cnr67
Addicted to C2E

Location: South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
Great post!!!!!
Old 27-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #2167
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

southbound track will be closed startng this sunday.
Old 29-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #2168
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Fencing is up at Churchill
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #2169
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I took a look at the tunnel entrance today and I noticed that front-end loaders were hauling earth. I also timed one backing out of the eastbound tunnel and it took about 33 seconds, with the length of the loader taking three seconds. My calculation is that they've dug nearly 200 feet and they're past 102 Street.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #2170
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

http://p.twimg.com/AsAfJSECMAABWaG.jpg
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #2171
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

^ The big picture!

I heard that Edmonton's NAIT LRT line is about five months ahead of schedule. It looks like the first base layer of concrete has been poured along the 105 Street tracks.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #2172
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Entering the tunnel (Note the construction ribbon and the gated barricades on the right half-behind the reflection):

Barricades up at Churchill:

Zoomed in (Note the south escalator construction and the barricades on the tracks):

Looking NW from Churchill Station:

North of Churchill Station:

And one more:

Last edited by jstock; 06-05-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2173
Dialog
Addicted to C2E

Good shots, thx for posting!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #2174
Montrosian
Addicted to C2E

Video of the tunnel excavation connecting the Future MacEwan station with the existing Churchill Station

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...561/story.html
Montrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #2175
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Video of NLRT tunnelling progress:
CLICK HERE

All photos by Bruce Edwards

Original Story at:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...dmontonjournal

Last edited by jstock; 06-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: More Photos
Old 07-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #2176
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Wow, they're really making progress. It will take some time to finish the tunnel, but 2 metres a day will mean about 250 days (125 times two tunnels), or about early 2013.

It looks like the tunnel from the MacEwan entrance doesn't have far to go before hitting EPCOR.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #2177
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I saw some surveyors at 101 Street across from EPCOR and told me that both tunnels (from Grant MacEwan) have reached 101 Street. I imagine both of them will meet the EPCOR tunnel by the end of the month.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #2178
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Cool!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #2179
jstock
Addicted to C2E

The platform at Churchill has been chipped away on the one side. Yellow warning tiles going in.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #2180
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Nice photos, thanks for sharing
Old 13-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #2181
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Work on Churchill platform continues:

Work on the track switch(es?) continues:

Old 13-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #2182
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Quite the Crossover they have here!

I added red lines to show the tracks:
Old 13-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #2183
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Thanks for the pictures, great shots, saves me from going myself. Although with that said I'll probably go there anyways, lol.
Old 18-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #2184
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Looks like the first piece of the MacEwan station roof (pre assembled) is waiting and ready to go.
Old 18-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2185
dtedmguy

^ I might be missing something, but isn't the intent to eventually have the Grant MacEwan station somehow incorporated into the new arena?

If so, isn't it kind of a waste of money to be building a station that will eventually get replaced a year and a half or so down the road?
dtedmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2186
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ I think you are mistaken... macewan station will be next to the arena, but not incorporated into the arena.
Old 18-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #2187
Vincent
Addicted to C2E

And then people will wonder why it's named after the college two blocks away and not the arena right next door.
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #2188
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

Well by the time they have the ramps onto the platform the station really will only be a half block away. The station will have a pedway/sidewalk that will probably be only steps away from the new arena but even if you look at the latest renders of the arena it shows the LRT station sitting next to the arena.
Old 18-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #2189
dtedmguy

My bad. I was picturing something similar to what's going on at Health Sciences where the station was built and now it's getting all renovated so that the pedways can be connected to it and the various medical buildings surrounding it.

They keep talking about money needed for an 'lrt link' for the arena. I figured it would be a similar situation where they build the MacEwan station for 2014 and then in 2015 are taking it apart for the 'link' to the arena.
dtedmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #2190
highlander
Addicted to C2E

The roof you're talking about may be the substation. There is what looks like a permanent structure there.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #2191
sahlgoode

Darren, and I went on a photo walk this week-end, and wound up on the site. I snapped off this 14 image panorama of the expansion.

LRT Expansion Expanded by sahlgoode, on Flickr

The 22.8 mb version http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8165/7...c017ede0_o.jpg
Ninja fact #1: Ninjas are mammals.
sahlgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #2192
lightrail
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Quite the Crossover they have here!

I added red lines to show the tracks:
Humm. So judging by that picture, they are installing a sissor cross-over north of Churchill. This would then allow a NB train at Churchill to go on the NB track to claireview, NB track to NAIT or cross-over and go the wrong way on the SB track to NAIT; or from NAIT cross-over to the NB platform at Churchill.

I wondered why they needed the cross-over here when there already is a cross-over south of Churchill Station. But then, I thought it had to do with trains from the OMC being able to get to NAIT at the start of the day and then back at the end of the day. but this configuration doesn't seem to do that.

From the OMC - a train arriving at Churchill will be on the southbound track, it won't be able to use the cross-over to the NB platform - so it must then reverse and run wrong-road towards NAIT. Or it could cross-over at 95 St then run wrong-road to Churchill, then reverse to NAIT.

From NAIT it works better - as the train can cross-over to the NB track at Churchill, then run up to the OMC.

Thoughts on why Edmonton is installing this expensive junction when there is already a cross-over just south of Churchill?
Old 22-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #2193
highlander
Addicted to C2E

The south crossover may need to be out of service and relocated, since it extends north into the platform area. There may also be a desire to extend the Churchill platform south, to allow construction of a new direct-to-surface elevator to connect to the millwoods line
Old 22-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #2194
halocore
Addicted to C2E

I'm really impressed how fast the work is going on this. Seems to be blazing ahead compared to the first year of construction on the south lrt.
halocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #2195
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

In reality, this is the 3rd year of construction of NAIT LRT.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #2196
lightrail
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
The south crossover may need to be out of service and relocated, since it extends north into the platform area. There may also be a desire to extend the Churchill platform south, to allow construction of a new direct-to-surface elevator to connect to the millwoods line
I hadn't thought of that - but that does make sense.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #2197
Edmcowboy11
Addicted to C2E

I do hope that the city is being smart about construction at Churchill and making accomodations for expansion. I think it would be a wise thing if they were to move forward with a new elevator which would be used to connect to the future low floor line but also just having a better access would be great. I've brought it up before that if a person is using a stroller or wheelchair you are forced to go on an adventure looking for elevators to get from street level to platform level.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #2198
Mla
Addicted to C2E

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
I do hope that the city is being smart about construction at Churchill and making accomodations for expansion. I think it would be a wise thing if they were to move forward with a new elevator which would be used to connect to the future low floor line but also just having a better access would be great. I've brought it up before that if a person is using a stroller or wheelchair you are forced to go on an adventure looking for elevators to get from street level to platform level.
A little off topic but wouldn't an elevator going straight from surface to platform make it easier for fare cheaters? How easy would it be to play the victim when the elevator goes straight past the ticket machines on concourse. ETS would have to clearly mark such an elevator and maybe install ticket machines on the surface level so people would have to walk past them before going straight to the platform.

Just a thought
Old 23-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #2199
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Make the elevator exclusively for wheelchairs and strollers only.
Old 23-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #2200
Mla
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
Make the elevator exclusively for wheelchairs and strollers only.
That would require city hall to amend the transit bylaw then so that could be enforced and what about the people in wheelchairs who need to buy a ticket?