Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Site Suggestions/Discussion What do you like about C2E? What can C2E do better? What would you like to see on C2E? Let us know.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Site Suggestions/Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
KC
Addicted to C2E

Default Users Forum vs. Guest Columnists

Regarding the website's front page space allocation, is it time to rethink the layout?

No offence to the "Guest Columnists" but from a user perspective is the front page space properly/most usefully allocated?

It looks like about half of the front page is devoted to guest columnist posts and about 20% to the forum posts (partial subject lines only for most recent 20 new threads).

When visitors, especially new visitors, visit C2E what would interest them the most?
i.e. the daily topical discussions which usually have links to news columns or the in-depth columnist discussions?

As a user, what do you click on first?
What do you have bookmarked?
The main page, the forum page or other?

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/

Maybe our forum needs a rethink too - I'm sure I've strayed far, far from the objectives with some of my posts.

"Please note that this site wasn't created to duplicate the vast amounts of information about Edmonton that is readily available on Edmonton’s regional web portal www.edmonton.com or all of our Edmonton partner sites. Instead, the root purpose of this site is to connect people who are proud of Edmonton and nurture their creative and collaborative ideas to help this region achieve its vast potential. Along the way, we're going to also change some false stereotypes and create new competitive advantages for our city.

There is no cost to join us. But, there is an obligation of every C2E member to respect the community's guidelines and rules. In essence, this site encourages members to express themselves intelligently and to make constructive, practical suggestions that will improve Edmonton’s image and quality of life."

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/about-c2e

Last edited by KC; 04-02-2011 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: add the "about" c2e quote
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
KC
Addicted to C2E

Any thoughts on this?
Old 16-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

ya, bumping old threads is stupid.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
KC
Addicted to C2E

Why?

The way I see such forums, the subject matter and the timing and activity of other issues can render other issues invisible.
Old 18-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
kcantor
Addicted to C2E
Mr. Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
ya, bumping old threads is stupid.
really??? there's a lot of wisdom posted in some of those old threads (and earlier on in some of the still current threads).

one of the problems with the whole "internet thing" - right up there with anonymity - is the instantaneousness of the whole experience. it's as if things that aren't in your face at the moment with less than a moment's thought or a moment's work either don't exist or have no value.

it almost brings to mind edmund burke's old maxim that "those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it"...
really just cranky, miserable and disagreeable on principle but happy to have earned the title anyway; downtown arena fan; edmonton 2017 world's fair and edmonton indy supporter; proponent of "edmonton works"
kcantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Any thoughts on this?
I was thinking about doing the same bump, the front page IMO should change as the guest columns are so old / irrelevant. It would be better IMO to highlight larger the current topics, or similar.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
KC
Addicted to C2E

Folks, thanks for comming to my defense. I was going to go off on a tangent about hyperbolic discounting but you said it much better.

So, anyway, as for the thread itself, I'm not the one doing ANY work here, but for the sake of the site would a change be worth the effort. It seems this site is more, if not, ALL about the user forum than showcasing a few 'respectable' but infrequent entries.

Note the irony though... I'm all for the current activity of the user forum than the presentation and prominence of old guest columns. . So Medwards, it seems I do think like you. Or do I? I want to bump the old down in this case.

Last edited by KC; 20-03-2012 at 06:43 AM..
Old 23-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
JBear
Addicted to C2E

Yes I think a redesign is in need for sure. I'll post up some examples of other forums that have some good ideas.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote