Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, sports, and more sports! Edmonton is a sports-crazy city, and everyone has an opinion. From the Oilers to the Eskimos, from the Edmonton Capitals baseball team, the Edmonton Energy, to the Edmonton Rush and the Golden Bears and Pandas, the Rexall Edmonton Indy, not to mention all of the amateur sports this city supports – this forum is your chance to discuss, comment and review what’s going on.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Life in Edmonton > Sports, sports, and more sports!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #901
richardW
Addicted to C2E

^ what is more interesting is were still in 29th place even with those additional wins. so either we were truly godawful the last 2 seasons (i cant remember, my mind is suppressing those terrifying memories) or the rest of the western teams got better/ more 3 point games.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #902
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

We did have a bunch of injuries (particularly on defense) where the Oilers had a horrible pile of losses in December and January. The goalies were also the same as last year (Khabibulin and Dubnyk).
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #903
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Reading the Journal article, I think the young guns need a little more time before they can assume a leadership role.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...340/story.html
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #904
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

I agree that the goaltending is the most worrisome position right now. After a string of all-star goalies (Moog, Fuhr, Ranford, Cujo, Salo), Oilers starters have been flashes in the pan at best (Conklin, Roloson, Garon, Khabibulin).

I was hoping at the trade deadline that the Oilers would have flipped Khabby to a team that likes mediocre goalies (e.g. Philly) and picked up a more reliable vet to play alongside Dubnyk or keep Danis up here. Dubnyk still isn't quite there yet as a starter, he probably needs another season or so. This summer, I'm thinking they should try to trade for someone like Bernier from LA, or sign Harding from Minny. Then either buyout Khabby's contract or send him to the minors.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #905
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

The Oilers would have to buy out Khabby's contract at full salary given his age, where half would count against the cap for two years.

I agree SDM, we need a strong starter, who will likely be signed as a free agent in the summer.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #906
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E

The_Cat, I looked at the list of free agent goalies coming up this summer, and there really isn't anyone I'd get excited over
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #907
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^we could perhaps trade for someone at the draft.
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #908
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Re: trade or UFA
There's always the possibility of lucking out on a Tim Thomas (career minor leaguer before signing with Boston) or a Kipper (overlooked as a minor trade from San Jose to Calgary at the time).
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #909
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Josh Harding Minnesota Wild. make it happen.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #910
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Omark fans, rejoice...he's been called up.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #911
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^good move, we have to show off these guys before the draft. Perhaps its a sign Hall is out with his shoulder hurt again?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #912
lobbdogg
Addicted to C2E

^ Yeah, I'm reading it as Hall will be out. Hope its nothing serious.

Although, I guess OKC has played a bunch over the weekend, Omark is probably coming in without fresh legs. This will be something like 4 games in 4 nights, from what I've heard.
lobbdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #913
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Or RNH.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #914
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Am I the only one who thinks Whitney should get a night off? -3 on 4 goals is not good.
Khabby's gotta go.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #915
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

yeah Khabby is terrible. Also, once again a goal goes in off of Potter.
Alex.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #916
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

I'm not a big fan of Bulin, but none of the goals last night were his fault. Including the empty net goal. As soon as the Oilers had possession in the Ducks zone he would have been waved in by the bench. Blame Whitney for that as well as his terrible giveaway on one of the other goals. He had a tough night.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #917
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^agreed. The coach is where I think we need to look at, along with long term tending and a much stronger D.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #918
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Goalie wise, someone I'm sure the Oilers are looking at is Enroth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jhonas_Enroth

However given Ryan Miller's constant complaining, maybe the Sabres want to hang on to Enroth in case they have to trade Miller. He's only got two years left on his contract after this season. Personally I want nothing to do with him.

Josh Harding is another. Lindback in Nashville too.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #919
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Those would be good choices. The media/blogger favorite still seems to be Bernier in LA.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #920
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Well, so much for playing the goalie with the hot hand. After winning with Dubnyk against San Jose, why did Renney put Khabibulin in against the Habs? Fail for Nail indeed. Meanwhile, Columbus is slowly catching up behind them.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #921
richardW
Addicted to C2E

get some size in our top 6 (top 9 in reality) and we win these types of games.

edit: peckham sux

Last edited by richardW; 09-03-2012 at 12:11 AM..
richardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #922
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Renney 2012?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #923
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Well, so much for playing the goalie with the hot hand. After winning with Dubnyk against San Jose, why did Renney put Khabibulin in against the Habs? Fail for Nail indeed. Meanwhile, Columbus is slowly catching up behind them.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. There goes my Pro-line. Renny and Khabby owes me $63.
North Guy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #924
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

If the Oilers lose their two remaining games against Columbus, it will definitely be "Fail for Nail".
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #925
howie
Addicted to C2E

It might be heresy, but do you think this is now the plan? Not exactly 'throwing games', but I could understand an underlying psyche/mindset in that direction. Just wondering aloud, really.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #926
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Wow was Peckham beyond awful, why was he in? I'd take Sutton, Barker or even a bag of pucks over him.
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #927
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^yup. He single handedly lost us that game with his 3 penalties and stupid moves.

That better be his LAST outing with the oil.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #928
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

As far as goaltending goes, I thought Bulin was pretty damn good most of last night, and stopped at least 2-3 sure goals during scrambles.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #929
IanO
Addicted to C2E

^yup, quite good. Man what a fun game to be at though, love the chanting and making fun of them when they use a soccer chant at a hockey game.

ole

www.decl.org

Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #930
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Here's something that Tom Gilbert said about the Oilers:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...amateur-coach/

"I didn’t understand why the Oil had such a terrible time covering in our own end until Minnesota media interviewed Tom Gilbert about the biggest adjustment he had to make moving to the Wild. Gilbert said it was the change from man-to-man to defensive zone coverage."
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #931
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
^yup. He single handedly lost us that game with his 3 penalties and stupid moves.

That better be his LAST outing with the oil.
I can't believe he wasn't perma-benched after the 2nd penalty. He was easily the best player for Montreal last night.
Old 13-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #932
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Listening to the news, sounds like there's been infighting between the players. That sounds like a team leadership issue to me.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #933
Doug
Addicted to C2E

Sounds like a team that is frustrated with losing to me.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #934
richardW
Addicted to C2E

^hopefully the sports media doesn't blow this outta proportion and add another black eye to the organization. But knowing how the sports media works that's exactly what will happen. gotta sell papers and get those page views...
Old 14-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #935
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^a new coach / breath of fresh air will be crticial for any sucess next year, IMO. We need someone who can come in, inspire some confidence, and not constantly shuffle the lines and overvalue and over play veterans versus performers.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #936
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Do people really think that other coaches and teams in the league don't shuffle line combinations? I've never understood why fans seem to focus on this so much in Edmonton. Every team in the league plays with line combinations as the season progresses, and there's virtually no untouchable lines in today's NHL. At most you see pairings of forwards that tend to stick together.
Old 14-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #937
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^interstingly, when Renny left NYC, the coments were that he overvalued veterans, and blended the lines to much. Also that he didn't match up lines properly to the opposition. Now he has publically called the players spoiled millionares, they are never going to work hard for him.

For some reason, the Oilers are attracted to these sort of coaches. At least MacT got some results though, esp. in 2006, but never as bad as Renny has performed. This has been a very disapointing season, there are no excuses for the current poor performance.

Last edited by moahunter; 14-03-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 14-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #938
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Listening to the news, sounds like there's been infighting between the players. That sounds like a team leadership issue to me.
Good. There are a lot of guys not pulling their weight, and I hope the team is upset. The more upset and unruly, the better.

I'd be concerned if they were all having fun in the dressing room after giving a half-arsed effort and going out like a bunch of losers.
MrOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #939
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Sure, fire Renney; whatever. But you might as well fire Tambellini, too, while you're at it.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #940
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

I think its time for Renny to go. He has no pulse on the team.

As mentioned above he overvalues veterans and does not play the kids enough at crucial times. He also mishandles the goaltending rotation.

I wonder what the Oilers would be like if they hired Hitchcock when they had the chance?
Old 14-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #941
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Sure, fire Renney; whatever. But you might as well fire Tambellini, too, while you're at it.
I would keep Tambo onboard for another couple of years, let him see the rebuild to its conclusion. I think the pro scouts could use a retooling though. Stu Mac and his amateur scouts are gold - hang on on them!
Old 14-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #942
richardW
Addicted to C2E

^is Stu Mac really doing a good job? picking Nuge and Hall were basically the most obvious thing to do so cant say that was Stu's genius. eberle i will give you that was a good pick. what other late round picks have actually panned out for us? none despite the over-rating that the fans do of our minor league players.

it would be nice to actually have depth on this team.
Old 14-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #943
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Stu Mac has drafted a much deeper prospect depth as of late than when the likes of Barry Fraser and Kevin Prendergast were in charge of drafting. Stu's been head scout since 2007 or 2008, he's only gotten started.
Old 14-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #944
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

He's been head scout since the fall of 2007. So really he's only had the 08-11 drafts. And in 2008 we only had 5 picks because of the Penner signing and other trades. Out of those 5 picks, 2 or 3 are projecting to be NHL players (Eberle, Hartikainen, maybe Cornet) List of draft picks here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rs_draft_picks

Still way too early to say much about the later picks in the subsequent drafts, but two are likely career NHL players from the 09 draft in Lander and Paajarvi. The 2010 and 2011 draft picks look deep at this point too, with the possibility of half a dozen guys other than Hall/RNH projecting to be NHL players.

At least as important as drafting/scouting is player development, which also has really only a few years to get it's crap together after being a disaster for the previous 10 years.

As far as a coaching change goes, I don't think that it's necessarily time to get rid of Renney, however his contract expiring after this season does make it reasonably convenient to go in a new direction. Otherwise he'll want at least 2 years in a new contract.

Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 14-03-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Old 14-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #945
ajs
Addicted to C2E

It appears to me that the Oilers professional scouting staff is where work needs to be done.
ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #946
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
I would keep Tambo onboard for another couple of years, let him see the rebuild to its conclusion.
I don't think Tambo had a good year, he promised improvement / fighting for a playoff, but didn't build the team to do that, his moves on D were terrible (i.e. Barker wasn't enough in the off season). Pitsburgh dumped their GM half way through their rebuild, and started to improve faster then. Interesting article here on:

http://oilersnation.com/2012/3/13/st...devil-you-know
Old 14-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #947
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Really don't understand the mentality behind "let him see the rebuild to its conclusion". Bring in a GM who won't force the coach (whomever that may be) to develop kids by the six-pack.
Old 16-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #948
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Awesome game

www.decl.org

Old 17-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #949
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Enjoyed this Cory Sarich quote:

Quote:
Cory Sarich on Theo Peckham: "He's a guy we want on the ice, so I'm not going to fight him and take him off the ice."
Old 17-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #950
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Hahaha awesome

www.decl.org

Old 17-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #951
Doug
Addicted to C2E

Sarich is a cocky *******. Funny coming from a no noname defenceman on a team that is not going to make the playoffs for a third straight year.
Old 17-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #952
richardW
Addicted to C2E

someone please teach Hall how to skate in the off-season. dude spends more time on his *** than on his feet
Old 17-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #953
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

^ I guess he scored 27 goals from his *** somehow???
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #954
Doug
Addicted to C2E

Teach Taylor Hall how to skate?????? Now that's funny.
Old 17-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #955
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardW View Post
someone please teach Hall how to skate in the off-season. dude spends more time on his *** than on his feet
I think you might have Taylor Hall mixed up with Ryan Jones.
Old 17-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #956
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

Seriously though, there is a reason people have started calling him Taylor Fall. I mean whatever works, but the guy does fall down a lot.
Old 17-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #957
Doug
Addicted to C2E

He may fall down but he has great speed and is a wonderful skater.
Old 18-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #958
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Fire the equipment manager...oh wait, they already did that a couple of years ago.
Old 18-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #959
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Taylor Hall is probably along the same career path as Jarome Iginla.

Jarome: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8462042

He's 6'1" and 210 pounds.

Taylor: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...d=nhl-keymatch

He's 6'1" and 194 pounds.

Give Taylor about 15 more pounds and he'll dominate in the NHL.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #960
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Hemmer!!!

www.decl.org

Old 20-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #961
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

So happy he's still an Oiler.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #962
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Unbelievable Hemsky had his first career hat trick tonight. That means Georges Laroque and Ryan Jones had scored hat tricks ever since Hemsky was an Oiler.

But its not all that surprising since Hemsky never shot on net when he had the chance.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #963
richardW
Addicted to C2E

Is it too early to get a hartikinen jersyey? I am Seriously loving this guy. So long I've wished for some size in the top six. Awesome.
Old 21-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #964
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Wow, seven points on the last four games. I wonder if the Oilers will catch the 26th-28th Place teams.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #965
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Is it too early to get a hartikinen jersyey? I am Seriously loving this guy. So long I've wished for some size in the top six. Awesome.
Yeah, I've liked him since he first played for the Oilers. He has by far eclipsed MVP (who I once had high hopes for), as he plays, like a lot of Fin's do, with a grity physical game. Exactly what we need.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #966
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
What Taylor Hall needs to learn to do is play a bit dirty to make himself less vulnerable. And by that, I mean put an elbow or stick up if someone is taking a run at him.

Yeah, Hall will get a penalty, but the guy hitting him will also have a sore jaw or missing teeth afterwards. If Hall would've done that to just a couple of guys already, Sarich probably would've let up a bit when running at Hall. This is what guys like Messier, Anderson, and Tikkanen used to do, and it gave them room. It's also why Iginla doesn't get injured very often, even though he is a target for other teams.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #967
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
He has by far eclipsed MVP (who I once had high hopes for), as he plays, like a lot of Fin's do, with a grity physical game.
The Oilers have always had better luck with Finns than with Swedes.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #968
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
Unbelievable Hemsky had his first career hat trick tonight.
Hemsky reminds me a lot of Petr Klima - he would completely disappear and phone it in a lot of nights... but when he put in an ounce of effort, he is a serious scoring threat. I think most of the Czech players the Oilers have had were like that, actually.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #969
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

I'm not sold on Hartikainen. Not enough of body of work to go on. Maybe he'll be a Finnish Dustin Penner, though I'm hoping for at least a Finnish Todd Bertuzzi. time will tell.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #970
JBear
Addicted to C2E

I really like Hartikinen as well. To be honest MPV reminds me of a Cogliano. Good speed, but just ok hands and finish. Like they say, all Swede but no Finnish.
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #971
bpeters
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Quote:
Hemsky reminds me a lot of Petr Klima - he would completely disappear and phone it in a lot of nights... but when he put in an ounce of effort, he is a serious scoring threat. I think most of the Czech players the Oilers have had were like that, actually.
Yep, the list starts with Jaroslav Pousar.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #972
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
I'm not sold on Hartikainen. Not enough of body of work to go on. Maybe he'll be a Finnish Dustin Penner, though I'm hoping for at least a Finnish Todd Bertuzzi. time will tell.
He has already thrown more hits than Penner has in his entire career.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #973
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Quote:
Yep, the list starts with Jaroslav Pousar.
Jaroslav Pouzar is one of my favorite unsung Oilers player. He has less talent than Klima and Hemsky but he worked hard.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #974
IanO
Addicted to C2E

We want the cup!

www.decl.org

Old 21-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #975
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

I was reading about a player that is an Oiler pick. Tobias Rieder. He's a 19 yr old right winger and has 42 goals and 42 assists in 60 games to lead the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL. I hope they can sign him this summer and we could have another young gun in the fall.
Drumbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #976
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

Goodbye to Omark?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...dmonton-oiler/
Old 22-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #977
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Perhaps he would fare better on another team or in europe. It would be nice to see him do well and be more appreciated elsewhere.
Old 22-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #978
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Any comments on Tobias Rieder?
Old 22-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #979
Alex.L
Addicted to C2E

I think the Oilers could probably get a decent return for Omark too. Prospect for prospect? Maybe someone a bit bigger? The
Old 22-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #980
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Omark has such skill but yet has not been given the opportunity to prove that in the bigs. On the right line on the right team he would likely do better. A large forward would definately be an asset, especially in front of the net and someone to stand up for our younger players. We need Dave Semenko back, does he have a son?
Old 22-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #981
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
Omark has such skill but yet has not been given the opportunity to prove that in the bigs.
He has had opportunity, IMO players either make an impact of they don't. What has he done? A slick spin move shoot out goal, and some nice passes. But most of his shifts, he hasn't played with enough effort. Good luck to him somewhere else, we won't miss him though (or get much for him at the draft next year), I'm guessing a 2nd round pick.
Old 22-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #982
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

It's clear that the Oilers don't value Omark, but the smarter approach (IMO), would be a pump-n-dump: play him, with quality linemates, in quality minutes, to maximize his boxcars. Then trade him.

But instead, we get this. Typical Edmonton Oilers.
Old 22-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #983
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

^you do have a good point there. The season is over anyway, and he will be traded (or will just not sign as RFA, why would he?), so why not stick him on the first or second line and hope he does something decent, that will attract another team? Of course, the risk is you put him there and he is anomynous (confirming what other teams might suspect - he isn't top 6 material, for he certainly isn't built for bottom 6).
Old 22-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #984
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

The coaches must be on drugs. Why, in tonight's losing game, were Hartikainen and Smyth picked as the extra shootout shooters instead of the Nuge?
Old 22-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #985
richardW
Addicted to C2E

^ gotta keep that 2nd pick.
Hall Nuge Eberle
Hartski Grigereko Hemsky

that's why they were picked

(seriously though smitty played with roli so knows his weaknesses, Hartski was just being rewarded for playing amazingly)
Old 23-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #986
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Ryan Smyth is actually quite good in shootouts.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #987
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

^I love Smytty, but I can't agree with you there. His career shootout % is 25% -- that's actually on the lower end of the team. (The vilified Shawn Horcoff actually leads the team in shootouts, with a 50% scoring rate -- although he doesn't get as many at-bats as other players.)

Just as a matter of raw percentages, the average scoring rate on shootout attempts since '05-06 is about 32%, so Smytty is weaker than average.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #988
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Speaking of choosing players for the shootout, did anyone catch the Flames/Minnesota game last night?

The 4 players shooting for the Flames were:
Matt Stajan
Lee Stempniak
Blair Jones
Blake Comeau

None of them scored and the Wild won with a goal by Setoguchi. The Flames fans are furious by Sutter's selection.
Old 23-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #989
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Stajan: 20%
Stempniak: 32.3%
Jones: 50% (but only two career attempts)
Comeau: 25%

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...erCareerTotals

Not the best way to play your odds, for sure.
Old 23-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #990
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Ah yes, the only thing that makes this season palatable is seeing the godless Flames fail!
Old 23-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #991
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

*sniggers*

Seriously, I so hoped the Oil would win last night so I could go on about the (pathetic) state of refereeing in the NHL and not have it look like I was just being a sore loser.

But, still more cheesy calls, equally cheesy non-calls.

Would the NFL ever, EVER employ referees, line judges of such consistent incompetence?

Seems to me, if half the NHL refs are that bad, fire them and let's go back to one ref.

Bah ...
Old 24-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #992
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

Nice data-driven article on how much Cam Barker sucks and why he was a terrible signing: http://oilersnation.com/2012/3/24/a-...for-cam-barker
Old 24-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #993
lobbdogg
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Nice data-driven article on how much Cam Barker sucks and why he was a terrible signing: http://oilersnation.com/2012/3/24/a-...for-cam-barker
I'm really glad Tambi didn't decide to throw a longer term at Barker. He had his chance to show that he could play in the NHL, but didn't step up to the plate. Sometimes you take a risk with this type of player, and sometimes it works out, other times, it doesn't.

I'm just glad that the Oilers can walk away after the season is over, and not have to worry about a contract with him. We've had to deal with enough contracts that didn't pan out in the last 6 years.
lobbdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #994
Drumbones
Addicted to C2E

Wow, I think we are very lucky to have gotten Nuuuge, he will be a super duper superstar in the league for years to come.
Old 27-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #995
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Hall done for 5-6months

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ut-5-6-months/

www.decl.org

Old 27-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #996
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Not surprising. Question I have is if they're going to shut Horcoff down and take care of whatever has been bothering him the whole year? Or if there isn't anything, has his skating regressed that much in that past couple years? He's looked slow and tired most of the season.
Old 27-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #997
JBear
Addicted to C2E

Arrrgghhhh.....
JBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #998
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

I wonder why so many shoulder injuries? Just a freak thing for the Oilers, or is it an issue league wide?
Old 27-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #999
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

Shoulder injuries are common in hockey. Think back all the way to Mike Grier skating back to the bench with his arm dangling down out of the socket to have it popped back in. There was a couple other guys around that era with similar problems as well.

You could just as easily ask why there's been so many ankle/foot injuries (Whitney, Hall, Barker) this year.

Other teams are dealing with concussion epidemics. At least shoulders can be operated on.
Old 30-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #1000
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

When things like this happen, I sometimes wonder about Tambo and the rest of the management...and I sometimes wonder about the NHL bureaucrats.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391774