Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mass Transit Here’s where to discuss LRT, BRT, PRT, and other mass transit initiatives, ideas and dreams for the greater Edmonton region.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Mass Transit

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Default ETSmobile App

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/etsmo...7039?mt=8&ls=1

Look what I found in the App Store! It hasn't been announced yet, so your mileage may vary in terms of functionality.

Cheers.

Oh and there is a tab for a digital bus pass right on your iPhone. Another feature not yet announced publicly.

Last edited by jstock; 02-01-2012 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Digital Bus Pass reference.
jstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You For This Useful Post:
etownboarder (02-01-2012), Paul Turnbull (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
cantilever
First One is Always Free

Interesting! I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to have an app for checking route schedules, bus stop schedules, etc, without trying to navigate their site on a small screen.

Nothing in the Android Market yet under that name, I hope they don't make it Apple only.
cantilever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
bolo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantilever View Post
Interesting! I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to have an app for checking route schedules, bus stop schedules, etc, without trying to navigate their site on a small screen.

Nothing in the Android Market yet under that name, I hope they don't make it Apple only.
Yes, they would be silly to do that. Android has a bigger market share than Apple, and the lower cost handsets are generally more popular with the demographic ETS services.
bolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Taras
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo View Post
Quote:

Yes, they would be silly to do that. Android has a bigger market share than Apple, and the lower cost handsets are generally more popular with the demographic ETS services.
Careful! You're assuming US market share = Canada market share...

Android is still #3 in Canada.

Quote:
Top Smartphone Platforms
September 2011
Total Canada Smartphone Subscribers Ages 13+
Source: comScore MobiLens
Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers
Total Smartphone Subscribers 100.0%
RIM 35.8%
Apple 30.1%
Google 25.0%
Symbian 4.2%
Microsoft 3.2%

Source: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...cent_in_Canada
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Tiran
Addicted to C2E

The text ETS for bus schedule feature is also very helpful, although I couldnt find it listed on their website.
I wish we had the gps enabled transit they have in San Francisco, having accurate wait times was wonderful.
The app may be great as long as it uses the google route planning and not the ETS system.
Tiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Top Smartphone Platforms
September 2011
RIM 35.8%
Apple 30.1%
Google 25.0%
Symbian 4.2%
Microsoft 3.2%

The growth of Android will have it passing Apple soon with Canada eventually mirroring the rest of the world with more than 50% but at any rate, it's only 5% behind Apple so should warrant an app very soon.
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
lat
Addicted to C2E

Here are some 3rd party apps that ETS has on their site. I haven't used any of them...

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...s-for-ets.aspx
lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Quote:

yes android does have it

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Last edited by jagators63; 11-01-2012 at 07:50 PM..
jagators63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

^ doesn't look like the same app as the one mentioned for the iPhone.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
jagators63
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
^ doesn't look like the same app as the one mentioned for the iPhone.

developers does not make same apps for both iphone or android, sorry about it.
Old 16-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
geordieinthecity
Partially Addicted to C2E

usually i just text 31100... but downloaded this app last week and have given it my trial
i like it. but there should be trip planning ...
Old 19-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
highlander
Addicted to C2E

It's ok for what it is. I would like to see a whole bunch of stuff added, like the ability to plan trips or check scedules beyond the next hour, and for immediate trips, actual times, not scheduled. Alerts re major delays would be great too.

It looks nice, though.
highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
KenL
Partially Addicted to C2E

Blackberry? how many corporate Blackberry users use the bus to get downtown?

Just a question
Old 19-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
EdmTrekker
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
The text ETS for bus schedule feature is also very helpful, although I couldnt find it listed on their website.
I wish we had the gps enabled transit they have in San Francisco, having accurate wait times was wonderful.
The app may be great as long as it uses the google route planning and not the ETS system.

I laughed when on the news they said send a text and find the next bus time...I have been doing that for the last year and NEVER is the bus on time. The #9 is CONSTANTLY off schedule. You are right about GPS. I use buses in Paris, San Francisco etc. and they are GSP enabled so exact time. They have screens to show you where you are on a map...and on my iPhone in Paris I get true times of arrival. At -30 being able to stay inside a building for 10 minutes if you miss one is important. Also helps when ETS has issues with road delays etc. to get accurate info. Lets hope they add GPS to the buses and screens to announce next several destination with arrival times in minutes etc. ETS and City Council need to do more. A lot more.
EdmTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Taras
First One is Always Free

Default Anyone else having problems with ETSmobile?

I emailed 311 the following:
What's going on with the ETSmobile app for iPhone 5? I can't get any schedule data from it. I have been getting "Data Loading Error - Please try again later" for several weeks. See attached screenshot.
I also don't see it in the App Store anymore, which leads me to believe that support for it has been deprecated without any notice nor an upgrade/substitute (aside from the far-superior third-party apps, of course). Please advise, Thanks, Taras

Response:

Dear Taras,

Thank you for your Eletter dated February 12, regarding an ETS App.

These are not official ETS products, so we do not endorse, warrant or support any of the applications listed here. Please use them at your own risk. ETS, in its sole discretion, may remove/add application listings without notice. For more information please go here: http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...s-for-ets.aspx

Uh, so the app vendor clearly shows as Edmonton Transit System within App Store > Updates > Purchased on my iPhone. Anyone else know what the deal is here?

I've since uninstalled the stupid app and replaced it with the far-superior Transit 360 third-party app.
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
EveB
Addicted to C2E

Location: Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I rely on one of the GPS ready routes (Route 7/57) and so I'm waiting for an app (Android preferably though I could use the iPad) that incorporates GPS data. Apparently Transit 360 isn't there yet.

In the meantime, I'm using the website which is awful on a smartphone but better than nothing.

Eve
EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Transit 360 rocks my world with or without GPS
Old 12-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Transit App is very good as well. They don't have it for Edmonton yet but they appear to use GPS locations for some routes in the US. Hopefully that means it's coming here soon as well. I definitely prefer the interface in it over Transit 360, especially the lack of ads.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tran...498151501?mt=8
Old 17-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #19
Leafs Fan in Edmonton
First One is Always Free

I'm amazed that Symbian is still on that list. I'm assuming that since Nokia's officially gone Windows, that number will drop substantially.

I like Google Maps for my ETS routing and whatever else, personally It works fantastic on my Note 2.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Top Smartphone Platforms
September 2011
RIM 35.8%
Apple 30.1%
Google 25.0%
Symbian 4.2%
Microsoft 3.2%

Leafs Fan in Edmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #20
Hilman
Addicted to C2E

Note that list is from 2011 and has changed dramatically since then. Latest Canadian list I could find was from last September.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/23/co...are-in-canada/
Hilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #21
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I emailed 311 the following:
What's going on with the ETSmobile app for iPhone 5? I can't get any schedule data from it. I have been getting "Data Loading Error - Please try again later" for several weeks. See attached screenshot.
I also don't see it in the App Store anymore, which leads me to believe that support for it has been deprecated without any notice nor an upgrade/substitute (aside from the far-superior third-party apps, of course). Please advise, Thanks, Taras

Response:

Dear Taras,

Thank you for your Eletter dated February 12, regarding an ETS App.

These are not official ETS products, so we do not endorse, warrant or support any of the applications listed here. Please use them at your own risk. ETS, in its sole discretion, may remove/add application listings without notice. For more information please go here: http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...s-for-ets.aspx

Uh, so the app vendor clearly shows as Edmonton Transit System within App Store > Updates > Purchased on my iPhone. Anyone else know what the deal is here?

I've since uninstalled the stupid app and replaced it with the far-superior Transit 360 third-party app.
The app is crap. Use something else. And yes, it is an official app. I'd be embarrassed to admit it myself too. Ha.