Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-topic/General Discussion Discussions not covered under the topics we currently have (a place to hang out).


Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Off-topic/General Discussion
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default Parking Tickets - HOW MUCH?!

Hey everyone.

I just got my first ever parking ticket. I'll be upfront with the fact that I don't plan to pay it - I'll dispute it, go to court, and if I lose, I'll just ignore it for the next 4 years until I'm done university and move back home. My license doesn't expire until 2017 and if my registration expires before then I'll just insure it in BC for the same cost on my next trip home.

I was parked off Whyte in what I now know to be a disabled zone. I had no idea it was one, I suppose I should have paid closer attention to the signs, but in my defense this is the first city in the world I've traveled to that has handicap spaces in the streets and it wasn't even something I was looking for. I parked, got out, fed a meter (which I guess was the guy behind me!) and went in to Chapters for a ten minutes. I wasn't able to park in the complimentary parking behind the store because I drive a hearse and it is too big to fit.

$250. That's more than a traffic ticket for speed in excess of 100kph over the limit! There is no way I will ever give that much money to any city unless I am bribing an official or paying taxes. I'd rather transfer everything back to my address in Vancouver, just out of principle. $250 is too much to ask of someone for anything parking related. I thought I would be able to get it reduced through a financial aid program, like we have in Vancouver, because I'm a between-jobs full-time student, but there is none here.

So, basically, I will dispute it, go to court, probably lose, and then ignore it. I'll always dispute every parking ticket I get because I don't recognize the authority of the government to control parking on public land. As taxpayers, public land is owned, in part, by us.

My question, though, is whether this amount is proper? I'm so shocked by the value on this - I'm wondering if the attendant made a mistake? Does anyone know the values on various parking tickets?

Last edited by HotBloodedInEdmonton; 04-01-2012 at 06:25 PM..
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Channing
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

You should ready Bylaw 5590. But the fine table in that says:

(a) $250 for any offence for which a fine is not otherwise established in this section;
(b) $35.00 for any offence under section 42 and 45;
(c) $50.00 for any offence under Part II except sections 33, 34, 42 and 45;
(d) $100.00 for any offence under sections 48, 49, 51, 53 and 54;
(e) $150.00 for any offence under sections 33 and 34; and
(f) $500.00 for any offence under Part VI.

Disabled Parking is Section 34, so you should be in for a $150 ticket according to the chart.

Edit: Pay your parking ticket. Or at least let me know your address so I can park vehicles to block access to it.
Channing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Susan B Anthony
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Default

Always go to court and plead "Not Guilty".

Unless the prosecutor offers you an exceptional deal, insist that the matter go before the judge.

At the very least, the fine will be reduced with a decent explanation, but only if you act civilized.
Susan B Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
You should ready Bylaw 5590. But the fine table in that says:

(a) $250 for any offence for which a fine is not otherwise established in this section;
(b) $35.00 for any offence under section 42 and 45;
(c) $50.00 for any offence under Part II except sections 33, 34, 42 and 45;
(d) $100.00 for any offence under sections 48, 49, 51, 53 and 54;
(e) $150.00 for any offence under sections 33 and 34; and
(f) $500.00 for any offence under Part VI.

Disabled Parking is Section 34, so you should be in for a $150 ticket according to the chart.

Edit: Pay your parking ticket. Or at least let me know your address so I can park vehicles to block access to it.
I have a very black and white view on parking. Blocking access to driveways, fire hydrants, emergency vehicles, traffic lanes, or other cars (double parking) should be towed immediately. On the other spectrum, parking meters, time limits, and disabled spaces shouldn't be legal because it is public land and I don't recognize the government's authority to dictate the use or conditions of public (which means "for all") land.

I worked as a bylaw officer for 1 year and a tower for 3 years. I'm not just some fool who wants to park anywhere, I take the bus and LRT to go anywhere I don't want to search for parking for. I've at least been on both ends, I came away feeling that what I had been doing for a combined 4 years was unjust and I've been working hard since to rebuild my karma.

Thanks for the info though.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

^^ exactly. Especially since this is your first offense, the JP will likely make you only pay a small portion of the fine, if anything at all.

however, if you have many driving/parking infractions, don't expect any sort of leniency
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
KC
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Default

"eastern creeps and bums"

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when you said you were guilty but you weren't going to pay the fine ...but then I saw that you're from B.C.
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
"eastern creeps and bums"

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when you said you were guilty but you weren't going to pay the fine ...but then I saw that you're from B.C.
I was technically guilty, in the same way someone is guilty of murder if someone is guilty if they don't see someone walking downrange at the shooting club. It's the legal equivant of manslaughter. So instead of getting 25 to life for murder one (or a whopping $250) I'd be happier with 5 years and probation (60 or 75 fine). For $60 I might swallow my morals and pay it.

Still not right though.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
240GLT
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
Default

Planning to run on BC plates as a back-up plan is a bad idea, especially if you're going to be here for a while. "IF" something were to happen, and ICBC found out you'd been living out of province they could void your insurance, and even if you got pulled over for some reason, the cops might ask what you are doing in town, you say you're going to school, they ask you why you have out of province plates still on.... you get the idea.

If you are truly new to the city and can claim an "out of town" defense I'd take it to court. Plead guilty, tell the judge you'll be more careful and you'll likely get a small slap on the wrist.
__________________
Parkdale
240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
Planning to run on BC plates as a back-up plan is a bad idea, especially if you're going to be here for a while. "IF" something were to happen, and ICBC found out you'd been living out of province they could void your insurance, and even if you got pulled over for some reason, the cops might ask what you are doing in town, you say you're going to school, they ask you why you have out of province plates still on.... you get the idea.

If you are truly new to the city and can claim an "out of town" defense I'd take it to court. Plead guilty, tell the judge you'll be more careful and you'll likely get a small slap on the wrist.
Actually, it's okay for you to run on b plates, insurance, and ID while in school. I only switched because I bought an Albertan car. They don't require you to aesthetic insurance over as long as you're in university.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

Where are you from that has no disabled parking zones? I know BC has this.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Kitlope
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Crawford Plains
Default

Yeah, what city in all of North America doesn't have disabled parking? By now I figure it would literally be illegal not to provide this simple service.
Kitlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton (Norwood)
Default

^ Handicap parking on the street instead of a parking lot is a bit unusual, and a $250 fine is ridiculous. Even the $150 fine that he should have gotten according to the bylaw is steep.
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Gizmo
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default

I may be wrong, but I thought BC and Alberta now had their system connected.
Where if I get a BC ticket and tried to re-register in Alberta it would show up in the system and I would still have to pay the ticket before I was allowed to.
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Komrade
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beverly
Default

I would go and plead out with your reasoning. I think its sound and Im sure a judge would agree.

However not paying it because you dont agree with the use of public land... I dunno you sound like my Libertarian friends who dodge their taxes for the same reasons lol.
__________________
facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic
youtube.com/GrimEmpire
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
Yeah, what city in all of North America doesn't have disabled parking? By now I figure it would literally be illegal not to provide this simple service.
Like Titanium48 said, of course there are handicap STALLS. It's handicap street parking that is strange. Vancouver, Whitehorse, Seattle, and most major cities in California don't them. The idea of handicap stalls on the street is silly. They exist for two reasons: to be wide enough to open a door all the way and unfold a wheelchair or walker (which you can't do on the street) and to be closer to stuff (which doesn't make any sense unless every single parallel stall is handicap, because you can't just place them randomly and hope they help. People who have lived here for a long time might not realize anymore, but street handicap stalls are weird.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

Vancouver and Seattle both have them... not sure where you've been, and although I can't recall if California has them, just about every major city I've passed through has on-street handicap parking. It's usually right next to the door of a business or office building, or nearest to the curbed ramp to the sidewalk.

It's in the BC drivers guide put out by the ICBC...

Did you not take a drivers test?
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

You know, I've been mulling this, uhm, issue about in my head for the last couple of days, and I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight. Let's see. . .

The original poster purposely drove down to Whyte ave and purposefully chose to park in a marked handicap parking spot, correct? And now that he's been called on it, somehow it's not 100% percent his responsibility?

As I see it, either he saw the sign and didn't care, or didn't see it because he didn't look.

Oh right, he doesn't recognize the the city's right to blah. . . blah . . .blah.

He's a protester. Practically a Revolutionary.

Those protests in Egypt, the one going on it Syria, I can't remember exactly, but they had something to do with the right to convenient parking spots, didn't they?

2011 was the year of protests, of revolutions. But here's one we all missed. The one where people start to say, "you know what, I did it, no one forced me, it's my fault. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it."

And for full disclosure, yes, in my almost twenty years of driving I've had the odd parking ticket, couple of speeding tickets two, one relatively recently. And each one had one thing in common. They were all one hundred percent my responsibility. Not the city's. Not the cops. Mine. And I paid them all.

I really don't care, actually, whether you pay the fine in its entirety or not. But if you don't, because you think responsibility is somehow only for other people, when the guy mugs you for your wallet because it's inconvenient for him that you have money and he doesn't, you'll know what to tell him.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
You know, I've been mulling this, uhm, issue about in my head for the last couple of days, and I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight. Let's see. . .

The original poster purposely drove down to Whyte ave and purposefully chose to park in a marked handicap parking spot, correct? And now that he's been called on it, somehow it's not 100% percent his responsibility?

As I see it, either he saw the sign and didn't care, or didn't see it because he didn't look.

Oh right, he doesn't recognize the the city's right to blah. . . blah . . .blah.

He's a protester. Practically a Revolutionary.

Those protests in Egypt, the one going on it Syria, I can't remember exactly, but they had something to do with the right to convenient parking spots, didn't they?

2011 was the year of protests, of revolutions. But here's one we all missed. The one where people start to say, "you know what, I did it, no one forced me, it's my fault. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it."

And for full disclosure, yes, in my almost twenty years of driving I've had the odd parking ticket, couple of speeding tickets two, one relatively recently. And each one had one thing in common. They were all one hundred percent my responsibility. Not the city's. Not the cops. Mine. And I paid them all.

I really don't care, actually, whether you pay the fine in its entirety or not. But if you don't, because you think responsibility is somehow only for other people, when the guy mugs you for your wallet because it's inconvenient for him that you have money and he doesn't, you'll know what to tell him.
I'm not at all sure I understand why this irks you so much. Just because there are more important things going on, am I not supposed to have opinions on small local issues? Next time someone forges ballots or plays dirty at local elections, should we all just turn the other way because Guadeloop, over in the Southern hemisphere, doesn't have a democratic government? IF someone is driving down the Whitemud at 180kph should I not call it in because over in Berlin they're doing 300 on the auutobahn? Just because there are more important things happening in Egypt doesn't mean that I can't fight my own little battles in my own little city.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
Vancouver and Seattle both have them... not sure where you've been, and although I can't recall if California has them, just about every major city I've passed through has on-street handicap parking. It's usually right next to the door of a business or office building, or nearest to the curbed ramp to the sidewalk.

It's in the BC drivers guide put out by the ICBC...

Did you not take a drivers test?
I don't know what to tell you other than you're wrong - the City of Vancouver, City of North Vancouver, City of West Vancouver, and District of North Vancouver do not use on-street handicap stalls. I don't recall it being in Roadsense for Drivers, which I read as recently as 4 months ago while training a friend, but if it is, that doesn't mean that they actually have them. For instance, those books also have full traffic circles in them, but Vancouver has no full 2-lane traffic circles, they only have roundabouts which are not the same. If you can take a photo of a handicap stall on the street in Vancouver I'll take you out to dinner at Ruth's. I'll be there for business on the 9th, and I will be double checking in front of the courthouse, art gallery, and a few major office buildings. Surely if they're anywhere, they'd be there.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Channing
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

I'll start this post, and come back to edit it with google street views, but it looks like Vancouver has a TON of disabled on street parking, thanks to a simple google search...

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...disabled.htm#1
Channing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
I'll start this post, and come back to edit it with google street views, but it looks like Vancouver has a TON of disabled on street parking, thanks to a simple google search...

http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/parking/...disabled.htm#1
If these turn out to be street stalls and not lot stalls, I'll eat my own hat. I've never seen one before. And I still honestly don't understand how they help anyone.

Edit:
Geeze, I need to get me one of these things. Look at the rule bending they do for handipasses:

"
  • Regular loading zones: are allowed 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading persons or materials.
  • Passenger zones: are allowed 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading persons or materials.
  • Residential zones: are allowed up to 3 hours in Resident Permit Parking & Resident Parking Only zones.
  • No parking zones: are allowed 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading passengers or materials "
30 minutes in a no parking zone? That means you can park basically anywhere, except commercial loading zones and bus lanes, for 30 minutes. I'd give my left foot to be able to do that.

Last edited by HotBloodedInEdmonton; 05-01-2012 at 01:04 PM..
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Channing
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Please send us all pictures of you eating your hat. Here is one at 1300 Hornby, for example.

And you can see in that photo why they have it. It's a direct access to the building.

Edit: Wasn't there a dinner involved?

Last edited by Channing; 05-01-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Channing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
Kitlope
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Crawford Plains
Default

Ahhh handicapped street parking vs. stalls. Yes, I guess I misunderstood.

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I thought BC and Alberta now had their system connected.
Where if I get a BC ticket and tried to re-register in Alberta it would show up in the system and I would still have to pay the ticket before I was allowed to.

I don't think they are yet. In summer 2009 coming back from Vancouver Island I got a speeding ticket near Revelstoke (but in BC) and didn't pay it. Every spring when I go to renew my registration here in town I usually pay a couple of photo radars and maybe a parking ticket. The ticket from BC never came up when I settled these overdue fines. I did that in June 2010 and again June 2011 and still no BC speeding ticket. I finally sent them a check this spring... funny thing is I never recieved a receipt but could clearly see the money came out of my bank account.
Kitlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #24
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
You know, I've been mulling this, uhm, issue about in my head for the last couple of days, and I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight. Let's see. . .

The original poster purposely drove down to Whyte ave and purposefully chose to park in a marked handicap parking spot, correct? And now that he's been called on it, somehow it's not 100% percent his responsibility?

As I see it, either he saw the sign and didn't care, or didn't see it because he didn't look.

Oh right, he doesn't recognize the the city's right to blah. . . blah . . .blah.

He's a protester. Practically a Revolutionary.

Those protests in Egypt, the one going on it Syria, I can't remember exactly, but they had something to do with the right to convenient parking spots, didn't they?

2011 was the year of protests, of revolutions. But here's one we all missed. The one where people start to say, "you know what, I did it, no one forced me, it's my fault. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it."

And for full disclosure, yes, in my almost twenty years of driving I've had the odd parking ticket, couple of speeding tickets two, one relatively recently. And each one had one thing in common. They were all one hundred percent my responsibility. Not the city's. Not the cops. Mine. And I paid them all.

I really don't care, actually, whether you pay the fine in its entirety or not. But if you don't, because you think responsibility is somehow only for other people, when the guy mugs you for your wallet because it's inconvenient for him that you have money and he doesn't, you'll know what to tell him.
I'm not at all sure I understand why this irks you so much. Just because there are more important things going on, am I not supposed to have opinions on small local issues? Next time someone forges ballots or plays dirty at local elections, should we all just turn the other way because Guadeloop, over in the Southern hemisphere, doesn't have a democratic government? IF someone is driving down the Whitemud at 180kph should I not call it in because over in Berlin they're doing 300 on the auutobahn? Just because there are more important things happening in Egypt doesn't mean that I can't fight my own little battles in my own little city.
The only "battle" you're fighting is against admitting your own responsibility. To call yourself protestor is insulting to actual protestors.

Why it irks me is becase people who (only) blame others for their own mistakes and problems irks me. It's your car, you chose to park where you did. It's not the city's fault you can't read a sign, or can and chose to ignore it.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Please send us all pictures of you eating your hat. Here is one at 1300 Hornby, for example.

And you can see in that photo why they have it. It's a direct access to the building.

Edit: Wasn't there a dinner involved?
HUH. You're right. I guess I park in those too!

Okay. Put your hands behind your neck, arms forward. Walk into a wall. If your tits hit the wall before your elbows, the dinner offer still stands.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
Ahhh handicapped street parking vs. stalls. Yes, I guess I misunderstood.

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I thought BC and Alberta now had their system connected.
Where if I get a BC ticket and tried to re-register in Alberta it would show up in the system and I would still have to pay the ticket before I was allowed to.
I don't think they are yet. In summer 2009 coming back from Vancouver Island I got a speeding ticket near Revelstoke (but in BC) and didn't pay it. Every spring when I go to renew my registration here in town I usually pay a couple of photo radars and maybe a parking ticket. The ticket from BC never came up when I settled these overdue fines. I did that in June 2010 and again June 2011 and still no BC speeding ticket. I finally sent them a check this spring... funny thing is I never recieved a receipt but could clearly see the money came out of my bank account.
Hot diggity
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Channing
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Why don't you save the $100 from taking me out to Dinner at Ruth's Chris and pay your parking ticket instead?
Channing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Why don't you save the $100 from taking me out to Dinner at Ruth's Chris and pay your parking ticket instead?
Because the parking ticket was a ridiculous amount of money and I'd still be missing $150 dollars?
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
HotBloodedInEdmonton
First One is Always Free
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
You know, I've been mulling this, uhm, issue about in my head for the last couple of days, and I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight. Let's see. . .

The original poster purposely drove down to Whyte ave and purposefully chose to park in a marked handicap parking spot, correct? And now that he's been called on it, somehow it's not 100% percent his responsibility?

As I see it, either he saw the sign and didn't care, or didn't see it because he didn't look.

Oh right, he doesn't recognize the the city's right to blah. . . blah . . .blah.

He's a protester. Practically a Revolutionary.

Those protests in Egypt, the one going on it Syria, I can't remember exactly, but they had something to do with the right to convenient parking spots, didn't they?

2011 was the year of protests, of revolutions. But here's one we all missed. The one where people start to say, "you know what, I did it, no one forced me, it's my fault. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it."

And for full disclosure, yes, in my almost twenty years of driving I've had the odd parking ticket, couple of speeding tickets two, one relatively recently. And each one had one thing in common. They were all one hundred percent my responsibility. Not the city's. Not the cops. Mine. And I paid them all.

I really don't care, actually, whether you pay the fine in its entirety or not. But if you don't, because you think responsibility is somehow only for other people, when the guy mugs you for your wallet because it's inconvenient for him that you have money and he doesn't, you'll know what to tell him.
I'm not at all sure I understand why this irks you so much. Just because there are more important things going on, am I not supposed to have opinions on small local issues? Next time someone forges ballots or plays dirty at local elections, should we all just turn the other way because Guadeloop, over in the Southern hemisphere, doesn't have a democratic government? IF someone is driving down the Whitemud at 180kph should I not call it in because over in Berlin they're doing 300 on the auutobahn? Just because there are more important things happening in Egypt doesn't mean that I can't fight my own little battles in my own little city.
The only "battle" you're fighting is against admitting your own responsibility. To call yourself protestor is insulting to actual protestors.

Why it irks me is becase people who (only) blame others for their own mistakes and problems irks me. It's your car, you chose to park where you did. It's not the city's fault you can't read a sign, or can and chose to ignore it.
The problem with your argument is that before this ticket, when I had absolutely no traffic tickets or parking tickets after 6 years of driving including 1 as a valet, I still didn't agree with parking meters or the authority of the city to declare who can park where on public land.
HotBloodedInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
You know, I've been mulling this, uhm, issue about in my head for the last couple of days, and I just want to make sure I have all the facts straight. Let's see. . .

The original poster purposely drove down to Whyte ave and purposefully chose to park in a marked handicap parking spot, correct? And now that he's been called on it, somehow it's not 100% percent his responsibility?

As I see it, either he saw the sign and didn't care, or didn't see it because he didn't look.

Oh right, he doesn't recognize the the city's right to blah. . . blah . . .blah.

He's a protester. Practically a Revolutionary.

Those protests in Egypt, the one going on it Syria, I can't remember exactly, but they had something to do with the right to convenient parking spots, didn't they?

2011 was the year of protests, of revolutions. But here's one we all missed. The one where people start to say, "you know what, I did it, no one forced me, it's my fault. It's my responsibility. I'll take care of it."

And for full disclosure, yes, in my almost twenty years of driving I've had the odd parking ticket, couple of speeding tickets two, one relatively recently. And each one had one thing in common. They were all one hundred percent my responsibility. Not the city's. Not the cops. Mine. And I paid them all.

I really don't care, actually, whether you pay the fine in its entirety or not. But if you don't, because you think responsibility is somehow only for other people, when the guy mugs you for your wallet because it's inconvenient for him that you have money and he doesn't, you'll know what to tell him.
I'm not at all sure I understand why this irks you so much. Just because there are more important things going on, am I not supposed to have opinions on small local issues? Next time someone forges ballots or plays dirty at local elections, should we all just turn the other way because Guadeloop, over in the Southern hemisphere, doesn't have a democratic government? IF someone is driving down the Whitemud at 180kph should I not call it in because over in Berlin they're doing 300 on the auutobahn? Just because there are more important things happening in Egypt doesn't mean that I can't fight my own little battles in my own little city.
The only "battle" you're fighting is against admitting your own responsibility. To call yourself protestor is insulting to actual protestors.

Why it irks me is becase people who (only) blame others for their own mistakes and problems irks me. It's your car, you chose to park where you did. It's not the city's fault you can't read a sign, or can and chose to ignore it.
The problem with your argument is that before this ticket, when I had absolutely no traffic tickets or parking tickets after 6 years of driving including 1 as a valet, I still didn't agree with parking meters or the authority of the city to declare who can park where on public land.
What has that anything to do with your choice not to take responsibility for your own actions? Because as of yet, you haven't.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
Kevin_Foster
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Default

Same thing happened to me in Calgary. I didn't look up at the sign. Got a $250 ticket for what was literally a 3 minute park. Not the city's fault, completely my fault. Paid the $250 and learned my lesson. While I agree that $250 is excessive (I was shocked when I got it), it is what it is. If I really wanted to spend 3-4 hours of my time to try and fight it and maybe get it reduced to what would likely be $175, I would have. But I don't have that kind of time to give for the perceived value in return.
Kevin_Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Foster View Post
Same thing happened to me in Calgary. I didn't look up at the sign. Got a $250 ticket for what was literally a 3 minute park. Not the city's fault, completely my fault. Paid the $250 and learned my lesson. While I agree that $250 is excessive (I was shocked when I got it), it is what it is. If I really wanted to spend 3-4 hours of my time to try and fight it and maybe get it reduced to what would likely be $175, I would have. But I don't have that kind of time to give for the perceived value in return.
Some day, I'll have to (get to) teach my son, who's now 18 months, the meaning of the word responsibility. I can't do that by citing examples of where I blamed someone, or something, else for actions that were clearly my fault.

You do bring up something related though, as I said I've being driving a little under twenty years, and in all that time I don't recall ever seeing a sign state "No Parking. . . unless you're only going to be a few minutes" and yet that's exactly what most people claim as a defence when they get caught. Funny how that works.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

I'll refer you to page 32 (4-12) in this manual, http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...d/drivers3.pdf , which is the new drivers manual for BC.


You've just failed your roadtest. Please return your drivers license and take transit.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
Medwards
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Why don't you save the $100 from taking me out to Dinner at Ruth's Chris and pay your parking ticket instead?
Because the parking ticket was a ridiculous amount of money and I'd still be missing $150 dollars?
How ridiculous is that you took up a spot for a disabled person, and now your going about the internet bragging about it? Pay the fine.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #35
Jeremy
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
I'll refer you to page 32 (4-12) in this manual, http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...d/drivers3.pdf , which is the new drivers manual for BC.


You've just failed your roadtest. Please return your drivers license and take transit.
Didn't you hear? He's a protester. They're allowed to ignore laws they don't like. It's like their right, or something.
__________________
You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. -- Mayor Stephen Mandel
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #36
Gemini
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Default

That is a lot of money for a parking ticket. Plead not guilty, go in front of a Judge (or JP) drop the attitude and you may get a reduction. Talk like the way you have in some of your posts and the Province will be $250 richer.
__________________
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.
Ricky Gervais
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #37
Gord Lacey
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Strathcona - Mill Creek
Default

Where was the disabled spot you parked in? I know there's a medical clinic on 83 Ave right near Chapters, and I think they have a handicap spot because they deal mainly with patients that have mobility issues.
Gord Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
highlander
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Highlands/North Edge Commuter
Default

If the city government, run be a council dempcratically elected collectively by the citizens of this city, doesn't have the right to determine usage polcies on roads owned collectively by the citizens then who does? certainly not some selfish temporary resident.

It's not just the government's right to regulate use of public property, it's necessary for society to function. If the government doesn't decide, it will be decided by the guy who decides to park his 40' RV there year round. Pricing scarce curbside parking with meters (if the spots are full allmost all the time the price is too low) and enforcing fines large enough to ensure compliance are necessary to efiicintly allocate a valuable public resource.

Extreme libertarians are either completely clueless or using the philosophy as a cover for their own sociopathy.
highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: May 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBloodedInEdmonton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing View Post
Please send us all pictures of you eating your hat. Here is one at 1300 Hornby, for example.

And you can see in that photo why they have it. It's a direct access to the building.

Edit: Wasn't there a dinner involved?
HUH. You're right. I guess I park in those too!

Okay. Put your hands behind your neck, arms forward. Walk into a wall. If your tits hit the wall before your elbows, the dinner offer still stands.
Ansd I think this post sums up everything i need to know about this OP
__________________
"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #40
sundance
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City of Champions
Default

Boy I bet a person in a wheelchair would like the opportunity to use a regular stall but as you are parking in the disabled stall you block off access for them to even get in the building. Perhaps you should see the hassles they go through with getting the wheelchair out of the vehicle and getting into it.

Personally I'd raise the ticket to $1,000 to stop people from parking in the disabled stalls.

I was at a Boston Pizza a year or two ago noticed somebody parked in the disabled stall, no blue tag. I go in order in a snack, when I was leaving a bunch of cops came in to have a pizza (or whatever) and the person in the pickup was whining to the cop on getting the ticket. It was a very happy moment for me, I felt like going up to the officer and thank him for doing his job.

You don't have to park there, the disabled CAN'T park elsewhere.
sundance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #41
24karat
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton - Blue Quill
Default

Several years ago I was on crutches and I had a temporary red disabled tag. I saw firsthand the frustration that the disabled people face daily. I remember one time I went to a Canadian Tire to get something that I needed, and as I was looking for a disabled parking stall, a guy in a pickup truck took the only available one and ran into the store. He definitely had no handicap other than his attitude. I get very upset when I see how inconsiderate some people can be.
__________________
Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA
24karat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
azzey
Partially Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Default

^ That opens up a hole different can of worms regarding inconsiderate drivers in this city.

I don't understand the problem here. You parked in a disabled parking spot. You didn't bother to look at the signs like any other reasonable driver would do. You obviously didn't care about your $250 then, so don't bother complaining about it now. Fix your attitude because nobody here is a fan of it.

You got the ticket because you broke the law. Now accept responsibility for your actions by admitting you were wrong. Pay your fine.
azzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #43
24karat
Addicted to C2E
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton - Blue Quill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzey View Post
i don't understand the problem here. you parked in a disabled parking spot. you didn't bother to look at the signs like any other reasonable driver would do. You obviously didn't care about your $250 then, so don't bother complaining about it now. Fix your attitude because nobody here is a fan of it.

you got the ticket because you broke the law. Now accept responsibility for your actions by admitting you were wrong. Pay your fine.
bingo!!

A simple Google search shows that Vancouver does have handicap parking on streets.
__________________
Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Last edited by 24karat; 06-01-2012 at 11:19 AM..
24karat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.