Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Regional Co-operation Especially significant to the Edmonton region, regional cooperation includes shared services, future planning, land use, even amalgamation. Discuss any regional issues, or any of the municipalities or counties that make up the Edmonton region, on this forum.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > Regional Issues > Regional Co-operation

Old 01-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default Heartland power line approved with conditions

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...744/story.html

Quote:
EDMONTON - The Alberta Utilities Commission has approved a controversial $596-million power line that cuts through Strathcona County.

The line will be built with conditions, including single poles in some areas to reduce visual impact.

The commission will also conduct testing of electro and magnetic fields near Colchester Elementary School before and after the project is build.

The Heartland transmission line, a joint project of Epcor and Altalink, will run from the Ellerslie substation in south Edmonton to the industrial heartland area.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
howie
Addicted to C2E

This always seemed like a fait accompli from the word go.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Marcel Petrin
Addicted to C2E

They can argue about aesthetics all the want, and they might have a valid point. Same with whether or not the line is even needed, and on what time frame. The second they try to bring "health" in to it, they lose the argument.
Marcel Petrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

They get more emf complaining about transmission lines on thier cell phones.

Phaw
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

The people in Strathcona county want to enjoy all the benefits of industrialization, tax revenues, but not the drawbacks. Power lines come with the territory.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
howie
Addicted to C2E

I may not be up on this stuff, but some AUC spokesman on last night's news

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/ (top video player story)

was talking about $300M involved in putting the cables underground. Say what? Don't you just dig a trench? In this case we're talking about 30km of trench or 130,000 ft. So $300,000,000 divided by 130,000 is $2,300 per linear foot. Er, get another quote, pal.

Maybe I should put him in touch with the guy who did my garden fence postholes.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
MXV
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I may not be up on this stuff, but some AUC spokesman on last night's news

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/ (top video player story)

was talking about $300M involved in putting the cables underground. Say what? Don't you just dig a trench? In this case we're talking about 30km of trench or 130,000 ft. So $300,000,000 divided by 130,000 is $2,300 per linear foot. Er, get another quote, pal.

Obviously, you understand nothing about the heat generated by lines of this voltage, and what it takes to insulate them (other than hanging them in the air). Furthermore, the technology isn't proven, as no other power transmission systems are stupid (or rich enough) to have previously considered burying lines of this type.

We'd all have been paying for this (provincial taxes), so I for one am very happy that they weren't buried. Hooray for common sense!
MXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
incubo nero
First One is Always Free

[QUOTE=MXV;402259Furthermore, the technology isn't proven, as no other power transmission systems are stupid (or rich enough) to have previously considered burying lines of this type.

We'd all have been paying for this (provincial taxes), so I for one am very happy that they weren't buried. Hooray for common sense![/QUOTE]

If you mean "direct cut and cover burial", then yes, it hasn't been tried with 500kV yet but other high voltages have been done.

An environmentally-controlled conduit would have been the only way to really pull this one off though and put everyone at ease due to Edmonton's colder temperatures. 500kV has been done this way in a few projects around the world. Obviously, far more expensive.

The cost of the $300M burial proposed in the application would have been recovered on utility bills, not through our provincial taxes. Based on AESO estimates, it would have amounted to approx. $0.30/month per residential ratepayer. The conduit solution (the more technically feasible one) would probably have cost triple.

Don't fool yourself though, into thinking that the decision was rendered primarily on issues of technical feasibility. This decision was primarily driven over ratepayer burden. Although fretting over dollars and options at this point is akin to buying a luxury SUV without consulting your spouse, and then graciously allowing them input on whether or not to get the NAV package.

Last edited by incubo nero; 03-11-2011 at 09:13 AM..
incubo nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
McBoo
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I may not be up on this stuff, ... In this case we're talking about 30km of trench or 130,000 ft. So $300,000,000 divided by 130,000 is $2,300 per linear foot. Er, get another quote, pal.

Nope, you have to dig a 30 km trench, and put a concrete bunker in it - and then fill the bunker with liquid nitrogen to keep the lines from overheating.

It's an incredibly complex undertaking. And there's no proof - because it's never been done before with a line of this size in a climate like this - that a year later you won't have to dig it all up because it didn't work afterall.

Overhead was the only sane decision.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXV View Post
...Furthermore, the technology isn't proven, as no other power transmission systems are stupid (or rich enough) to have previously considered burying lines of this type.

We'd all have been paying for this (provincial taxes), so I for one am very happy that they weren't buried. Hooray for common sense!
England is starting to bury them more in urban and areas near urban centers. It isn't the cheapest method but when you consider tornadoes, freezing rain and lightning strikes having them above ground has costs too...

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...calIssues5.pdf

They built a tunnel in 2005 from Elstree to St. John's Wood for transmission cables...
http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...CaseStudy2.pdf

And later from Westham to Hackney in 2009
http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...CaseStudy3.pdf

You wouldn't need to cool them with liquid nitrogen, other gasses or liquids will work too.
sundance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
They get more emf complaining about transmission lines on thier cell phones.

Phaw
I wonder what the emf is compared to the amout a kitchen stove or a 60" TV gives off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
The people in Strathcona county want to enjoy all the benefits of industrialization, tax revenues, but not the drawbacks. Power lines come with the territory.

Buyer beware. If you did not check before you bought that there is a utility corridor beside you (may look like a grassy field but what was the zoning?) that you may end up with powerlines, pipelines, high pressure gas lines etc. You also should check where the local fire station is if you don't like sirens at 2:00 am, rail lines and airport approach paths.

I find it commical that there are people living at 1st ave SW east of 91st street within 75 meters of an existing major substation and only 25 meters from the same lines and they are not complaining. In fact they bought their new homes that were built right beside the existing substation and probably got a deal on the price.

The residents there look like the power lines did not affect them at all. Or did they???

Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post

You wouldn't need to cool them with liquid nitrogen, other gasses or liquids will work too.
Although if you did use liquid nitrogen you could use superconducting wire and eliminate transmission losses.
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
I find it commical that there are people living at 1st ave SW east of 91st street within 75 meters of an existing major substation and only 25 meters from the same lines and they are not complaining.
Or there's the 500 kv lines along Henday S.

Or how about the existing 240 kv lines that were there long before the suburbs:
- between 34th Ave and 23rd Ave west of 97 St
- along Henday W
- thru north-end about 153rd Ave and 163 Ave

Are there higher highs of cancer, mutation or other medical ailments amongst people living near these lines?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Edmonton PRT
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
Are there higher highs of cancer, mutation or other medical ailments amongst people living near these lines?
My dog likes the power lines. He says that they give him lots of energy!

Ever since we moved near the powerlines for some reason he has been eating twice as much...
Old 28-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
MXV

Finally...the arguement's over!

http://www.strathcona.ca/departments...n-Project.aspx
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Chris83

Building utility lines in a Transportation Utility Corridor...crazy.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Well the only crazy part is, I thought they should have just built another set of towers along the existing lines running near 17th Street, or double up the wires on those towers.
Old 17-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
MXV

What, and route it through a city when it's a regional line, meant to run in a Transportation and UTILITY Corridor?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
sundance
Addicted to C2E

There already is a corridor along 17th street, to me it made sense to use the existing powerline corridor.

But regardless saw stacks of tower pieces at the old Rheem location (Yellowhead just east of AHD) the towers will be going up soon so the people living in the Colchester area should start folding up tinfoil to make protective hats.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Well the only crazy part is, I thought they should have just built another set of towers along the existing lines running near 17th Street, or double up the wires on those towers.

I believe this line is just the supply of Goldbar auxillary station getting into the grid at the station on 17st and baseline. Not nearly big neough for what they have planned.

The 'monster' towers have started being built on the northside of the river on the way to Kulhmans.
JJMorrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
chrisvazquez7
Addicted to C2E

As seen from Meredian St looking north.

photo by kokkeimizu, on Flickr

photo by kokkeimizu, on Flickr
chrisvazquez7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ lattice tower construction has also started along the south Henday between the 91 St and 17 St interchanges.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

From the NE AHD construction website - if you look closely, you can see the transmission towers going up:

Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

School to close to make way for Heartland Transmission line
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Is is just me but are the towers which will support the lines seem to be very close to each other? It seems they could be twice as far apart and still not cause a problem. I'm no engineer for the power company, it just seems like they could have done the same job with less and created less of a visual blight.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
chrisvazquez7
Addicted to C2E

The towers are exactly where they have to be. These power lines weigh tons, and need all the support they can get.
chrisvazquez7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Most of the steel towers between the river and Baseline Road and between Hwy 14 and the Ellerslie substation are now up. They are certainly much larger than the other steel tower transmission lines nearby. No monopole towers up yet between Baseline and Hwy 14, probably due to the NE Henday project work there.
Old 17-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Saskatchewan River crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 18-05-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

ATCO claims the lines are running on direct current, and that the static electric field should not have the negative affects we associate with AC current power lines. Can someone with a science background confirm it?

Great shot, SDM. (you know you've been on Red Flag Deals too long when you see those initials and think Shoppers Drug mart ) It should be surreal driving past these monsters on the Henday; they look bigger then the ones down on the south leg.
Ustauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
BalancedOP

Hey SDM I don't see my name on that photo you used.
BalancedOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #31
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

^ Sorry, meant to keep the quote from the AHD thread. Fixed
Old 18-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
Magnoblade
Addicted to C2E

^^It's not like he claimed it to be his photo in the first place.
Magnoblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Road Virus
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
ATCO claims the lines are running on direct current, and that the static electric field should not have the negative affects we associate with AC current power lines. Can someone with a science background confirm it?
The link you posted is for the Eastern Alberta High Voltage Direct Current Line and not the Heartland power line. The Heartland line is supposed to 500kV AC as far as I know.
Road Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Virus View Post
Quote:
The link you posted is for the Eastern Alberta High Voltage Direct Current Line and not the Heartland power line. The Heartland line is supposed to 500kV AC as far as I know.
Whoops, my mistake, thanks.
Old 21-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #35
Road Virus
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Whoops, my mistake, thanks.
No problem, I work in the industry so I try to keep up to date on this stuff when I have the time.
Road Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

http://www.heartlandtransmission.ca/update/index.asp

Quote:
Starting late May, 2013, we anticipate the first monopole tower to be installed. Monopoles will be installed over a 9.5 km stretch within the TUC, from approximately Hwy 14 to Baseline Road.
Old 21-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #37
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

Anyone know why the towers are not started on the portion between baseline and 23ave?? The lines are all strung north of baseline. Are they waiting for the roads to be built first? Or is there something being held-up in the courts??
Old 21-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Have you not been reading my posts...they will be starting that section soon.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #39
filpr
First One is Always Free

The first (as far as I can tell) monopole is up, just south of Whitemud, as well as the lower ~half of the next 4 or 5 to the south of that one. Got to say that while they are by no means gorgeous to look at, they are much less of an eye-sore than the lattice towers.

Also, "they" have been working on the monopoles for quite a few months already - just that "they" have been working on the underground portion, which seems to be much more substantial than the piles required for the lattice towers.
filpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #40
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Chopper accident while installing line:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...r.html?cmp=rss
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #41
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Lines are completed along E Henday.
Lines along S Henday still need to be finished, but I saw a chopper hovering over the towers this afternoon.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #42
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

That chopper flying is amazing. Managed to witness a pull across Wye road. The chopper was at 45 deg to the ground pulling. Pilot has nerves of steel, hovering near the towers for a minute and not moving.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #43
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

High Voltage Cable Inspection by helicopter
Youtube this !!
Sorry back to topic
Old 28-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #44
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Line is now completed

Quote:
Alberta’s Heartland Transmission Project has now been completed and is in operation.

The announcement was made Saturday in a joint release by the Heartland Transmission Project team, AltaLink and Epcor.

The project was heavily opposed by many in Strathcona County who were worried about the health impacts of the electricity line.

Officials warn that people in the area may here a buzzing or cracking noise as the transmission line settles in but that the sounds should fade.

The project is a 66-kilometre line extending from Edmonton to the Heartland industrial area north of Edmonton.
Old 31-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #45
sundance
Addicted to C2E

!@#$% awful ugly monstrosity. They should have buried some of it near Sherwood Park not for the so called health reasons but for esthetic concerns.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 AM   #46
Ustauk
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
!@#$% awful ugly monstrosity. They should have buried some of it near Sherwood Park not for the so called health reasons but for esthetic concerns.
I kind of like the look of the monopole towers along the east Henday. They remind of telephone poles from the country (where I grew up), writ majestically big