Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #101
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
Jeff, I was wrong about Harvard Law
yes - yes you were... wrong. So we're clear: his suspect education is from a non-accredited, so-called "university", one that has just recently applied for accreditation to a most suspect authority, one that has previously been suspended by the U.S. Department of Education... one that, again, "has been cited consistently since 2001 for either not having clear standards with respect to measuring student outcomes or not collecting and reviewing data on how institutions it accredits measures student outcomes."

perhaps additional perspective is required: yup, that's it... that's the place; that's George Wythe "University"

Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #102
grish
Addicted to C2E

for the sake of comparison of ehm... architecture... ehm:

the color scheme is quite similar, actually.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #103
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

It's good enough for Harvard.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #104
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

Oh and as far as accreditation goes, the University is recognized as a degree granting institution by the state of Utah. Which is exactly the same level of accreditation as Grant McEwan.
http://www.4icu.org/reviews/12358.htm
I know it's useless to ask you for any back up but how about a citation for your claims about his exaggerating his education or experience.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 AM   #105
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by grish View Post
for the sake of comparison of ehm... architecture... ehm:

the color scheme is quite similar, actually.
... yes, but of course... that's just one of the law faculty's iconic buildings... if you've ever had a chance to see it, the law library is quite striking, particularly at night
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM   #106
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Oh and as far as accreditation goes, the University is recognized as a degree granting institution by the state of Utah. Which is exactly the same level of accreditation as Grant McEwan.
http://www.4icu.org/reviews/12358.htm
nonsense - speaking of citations, you may just try to back up yours... perhaps you could start with, uhhh... something like "The Utah System of Higher Education" (that includes such recognized institutions as the University of Utah, Utah State University, Weber State University, BYU, etc)... but doesn't include, wait for it... Hillyer's GWU - go figure!

that you would presume to compare Harvard to GWU, on any level, speaks to your hyper-partisan self as you scramble about trying to prop up Hillyer.

by the way, have you seen the youtube video of the elusive Hillyer being confronted by the Lethbridge constituent... another classic... along the lines of "Duckett's cookie" - in this case, Hillyer states he can't answer questions... because... wait for it... he has to go to the bathroom!

Quote:
I know it's useless to ask you for any back up but how about a citation for your claims about his exaggerating his education or experience.
too easy - an exaggeration by omission; one where he states he has a "BA in Philosophy, an MA in Political Economy, and has completed advanced PhD studies in Constitutional Law"... but fails to disclose just where he received those "degrees". Now, that's a whole lotta education (in traditional timelines)... either Hillyer spent a ton of time down in Utah, or... he availed himself of the correspondence outlet GWU has. Hmmm... degree by correspondence... ya, ya, fits right in with the Harvard comparison you're attempting to make!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #107
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

Get a grip, I never compared Wythe to Harvard, I said Harvard's Grad School of Education recognizes their degrees.
From the Wiki article on Wythe: In August 2008 the school announced the designation of "university" status granted by the State of Utah, and the Board decision to formally adopt the change"
And now you complain about him spending "a ton of time down in Utah".
I guess it's ok when Liberals live abroad but not Conservatives??
He hasn't failed to disclose where he got his degrees. If he did we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again all you're doing is blathering on and on, non-sensically with no back up or citations whatsoever.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #108
grish
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
so all those attack ads about Ignatieff having lived abroad was really a Liberal campaign to discredit their own leader? Did you mistype something?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #109
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Get a grip, I never compared Wythe to Harvard, I said Harvard's Grad School of Education recognizes their degrees.
From the Wiki article on Wythe: In August 2008 the school announced the designation of "university" status granted by the State of Utah, and the Board decision to formally adopt the change"
And now you complain about him spending "a ton of time down in Utah".
He hasn't failed to disclose where he got his degrees. If he did we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again all you're doing is blathering on and on, non-sensically with no back up or citations whatsoever.
yes, you did compare GWU to Harvard Law School... you had to be corrected on that... again, GWU is a rinky-dinky, little start-up that's not accredited and, apparently, is seeking accreditation from an equally suspect authority, one that has been repeatedly under scrutiny since 2001. You should learn to read... I didn't, as you say, "complain about his spending a ton of time down in Utah". What I really did was presumptively slag him over "degree by correspondence"... since you appear to be a PC party-hack, perhaps you can settle that little ditty - by traditional timelines, did he spend his 6+ years in Utah and get his "BA, his MA and his unfinished PhD" by attending or did he... mail it in?

the funny part is that it's probably a bit unique to detail one's education to the level he has... because he did... presuming to "pump it up", coupled with the fact no one could find him or get him to attend anything during the campaign, scrutiny began to fall on him, big time.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #110
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

From today's Sun
"Contrary to information in her campaign biography, controversial NDP MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau does not have a diploma from St. Lawrence College’s Kingston campus, according to a college official."
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #111
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

again, no one has defended Brosseau here... you, on the other hand, are carrying many pails worth for Hillyer! You wear it well.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #112
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

Jeff,
The above article cites Gord McDougall, Vice President, Student and External Affairs at St. Lawrence College.
That is real information, not idle nonsense spouted on the net by somebody with no real information or knowledge.
From post #94 on this thread this is my exact quote: "their degrees are recognized as valid for entrance into Harvard Law School and Pepperdine" I had the wrong grad school at Harvard but it is still Harvard. I didn't compare the two schools, I simply said one recognizes the other.
Your arguement is so weak you need to invent things to support it.
You've yet to make a single citation about any of your statements so go ahead and B.S. some more.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #113
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

Oh, and regarding CBC bias, the following is a passage from a report by the CBC ombudsman regarding complaints about left wing bias:
"many of those who complained claimed that there is no one of an opposite ideological viewpoint readily apparent on the service. Unfortunately, this appears to be true"
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6308691/CB...s-Liberal-Bias
Again, a direct quote with links to source. In other words, real information, not nonsense spouted from an overactive but somewhat stilted imagination.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #114
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Jeff,
The above article cites Gord McDougall, Vice President, Student and External Affairs at St. Lawrence College.
That is real information, not idle nonsense spouted on the net by somebody with no real information or knowledge.
What are you blathering about? There's no shortage of critical media articles of Hillyer... of criticism of Hillyer from his own constituents. He's exaggerated his education; again, by omission... pumping up multiple degrees while avoiding any attachment and/or association of that education to a non-accredited institution - you were already advised that information exists on his own website.

Quote:
From post #94 on this thread this is my exact quote: "their degrees are recognized as valid for entrance into Harvard Law School and Pepperdine" I had the wrong grad school at Harvard but it is still Harvard. I didn't compare the two schools, I simply said one recognizes the other.
Your arguement is so weak you need to invent things to support it.
You've yet to make a single citation about any of your statements so go ahead and B.S. some more.
Excellent - I've given you enough rope... let's reel you on in - hey? Your continued reliance on that wiki article, with your accompanying bravado, suggests you really don't understand wiki. The accreditation reference you continue to beak-off about was added, relatively recently, by an unnamed IP address (one behind a firewall... one that can't be deciphered as to origination)... the only related comment advises the intent was to align the wiki update to contents found on the GWU web-site. Obviously, this is a self-serving edit; one most-likely applied by someone associated with GWU... who else would it be?

More to the point, even if one were to accept the self-serving wiki accreditation reference hyping graduate placements, it associates to a non-accredited institution... one with a student body of ~150 students (total) and faculty/admin of ~25 persons... the implications are quite telling. Further to the point, even if one were to accept your wiki reference, as is, you don't understand how law school admission works... you also apparently don't understand how wiki is created, edited and maintained... or just who can edit wiki articles and how it is done. Since you repeatedly pressed the point, I had no qualms in taking a few minutes to check through the article history - quite illuminating.

In any case, there is no element of, as you've now stated multiple times, law schools recognizing particular degrees... from any institutions. It's all about the GPA, LSAT, referrals, etc.; it's all about "law school admission councils" (Canadian and American national bodies, respectively... organizations completely independent from any actual education institutions). I'm particularly taken with the pointed historical edit comment within your referenced wiki article... the somewhat critical edit that speaks to a proclaimed GWU graduate attending Pepperdine (another of your "key stated" references you thought to be significant by commenting on it)... as described within that edit/talk comment, a significant oversight existed as the individual in question, apparently, also had an undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University (BYU); you know, one of those real universities that would, appropriately and significantly, tailor the GPA review. Of course, the latest (current) wiki update does away with all that and presents a bullet list of 'supposed' graduate schools... one that certainly presents a self-serving result for GWU. Right - nice job!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #115
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Just saw an interesting opinion piece on CBC where a quote is given by Layton in the past of how the Conservatives put tape over the mouths of their MP's and how offensive this is, and how ironic it is given the "cone of silence" over this Quebec MP now. Seems the NDP have learned from the Conservatives, lol
Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #116
grish
Addicted to C2E

so, finally, we have agreement that it isn't only in quebec, but everywhere the conservatives and the NDP operate. I am sure the Liberals used to get away with much the same under Chretien. Likely not anymore considering they couldn't even elect their leader.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #117
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Just saw an interesting opinion piece on CBC where a quote is given by Layton in the past of how the Conservatives put tape over the mouths of their MP's and how offensive this is, and how ironic it is given the "cone of silence" over this Quebec MP now. Seems the NDP have learned from the Conservatives, lol
Layton should ask Harper for advice. Now that the NDP is in official opposition, they will face much more scrutiny, and frankly that party has a lot of left-wing crazies. Harper had the same problem with the Canadian Alliance and young CPC, trying to reel in his right-wing nuts and keep them quiet. It's a cynical POV, but voters will have to realize that the raison d'etre for these parties is to get elected and it makes sense for their leaders to control the message.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #118
ralph60
Addicted to C2E

So Jeff,
Now Grad Schools don't care where you Graduated? OK
They altered the Wikipedia page to support Hillyer? They must have known we would be having this discussion.
No answers, no citations, just more nonsense from a bitter Liberal loser's imagination. Jeff, you really need to get out of your moms basement.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #119
grish
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
So Jeff,
They altered the Wikipedia page to support Hillyer? They must have known we would be having this discussion.
No answers, no citations, just more nonsense from a bitter Liberal loser's imagination. Jeff, you really need to get out of your moms basement.
Ralph,

what was it specifically that Jeff said that prompted you to write your questions?

Sincerely,
grish

ps With wikipedia it is possible that even you had altered the page in question since you are having this discussion. Not to mentoion Hillyer or the school each to protect their own reputation.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #120
Jeff
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
So Jeff,
No answers, no citations...
sorry to have highlighted your nonsense, your falsehoods, on how law school admissions are handled/processed... you were quick to highlight law schools and recognized degrees. Clearly, your complete hyper-partisan fabrication doesn't stand up to scrutiny... doesn't stand up to facts.

the wiki page you linked to was edited in a self-serving manner; for the unaccredited institutions benefit... why do you resort to making shyte up?

same answer as before... try a googly... again, there are no shortage of media articles that significantly criticize the MIA Hillyer. Again, as you were previously directed (now multiple times over)... his education exaggeration (by omission relative to association with an unaccredited institution), is a part of his own website and campaign information.

again, no one in this thread was, as stated earlier, "defending Brosseau"... you, on the other hand, are unwilling (on any level) to suggest that Hillyer had any failings on how he campaigned... regardless of how he's been portrayed as a 'drunken goat/dead dog'