Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 13-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Admin
Forum Administrator

Default Edmonton East Riding Discussion

For discussing candidate platforms, praises, and concerns.
Old 13-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
jstock
Addicted to C2E

Goldring's people don't even know where his riding's boundaries are. They've been sending us mail for 2 years and we live in Edm-Sh. Park.
Old 13-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Goldring is a dead fish. The guy can literally do nothing and get re-elected. Bah humbug.
Old 13-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
kcantor
Addicted to C2E
Mr. Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstock View Post
Goldring's people don't even know where his riding's boundaries are. They've been sending us mail for 2 years and we live in Edm-Sh. Park.
that's okay - we do live in the riding and we get mail and calls from or on behalf of mary macdonald who's running in edmonton centre, not edmonton east. *&^% happens and people get on to lists they shouldn't be on. not that big a deal. out of curiosity, have you returned the mail or called about it?
really just cranky, miserable and disagreeable on principle but happy to have earned the title anyway; downtown arena fan; edmonton 2017 world's fair and edmonton indy supporter; proponent of "edmonton works"
Old 13-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
jstock
Addicted to C2E

^Yep, I've been calling the constituency office, and leaving messages (no on picks up) with our condo complex address. Still getting them. I returned some last year with a note scribbled on them too.

Still getting them.

Last year the federal website where you look up your MP gave my postal code as having two MPs, but simply looking at the map, it's quite obvious that our address is not in his riding. But I guess my notes and calls are being disregarded.
Old 13-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
jizzaldo
Partially Addicted to C2E

Good to hear kcantor is a fellow northsider!
Old 16-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Earlier this afternoon, I was shocked to see signs for the Liberal Edmonton East candidate on the site of the cenotaph in Beverly honouring our veterans. Perhaps he's trying to make up for his lack of signs on private property. But politicizing the cenotaph site with election signs crosses the line. I really hope they get taken down.
Old 20-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Ray Martin (NDP) is the only candidate who has a shot, but Goldring will likley be re-elected by a lot.
Old 22-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

^ Agreed. But I think the race will be close and Ray Martin has a shot at winning this time.
Old 22-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
jmart81

Too bad we didn't have an electoral system say like Germany's where you vote for a representative for the riding, and vote for a party in a party list vote as well. The Tories would probably have the most votes as a party, but Peter Goldring would never win.
Old 25-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
langis

Voting Ray Martin and hoping enough others do the same to topple Goldring and take away another Conservative seat.
Old 26-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Ray Martin!!
Old 27-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
envaneo
Addicted to C2E

Goldring! ! !
Old 27-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #14
millwoods

just gonna leave this right here for all the progressives:

http://www.projectdemocracy.ca/edmonton-east

Could our province really unseat a MP with the golden conservative ticket??!! This riding and Calgary West shock me the most. I mean, the shockingly neo-conservative comments of Calgary West's incumbent (actually called Mandela a terrorist) lead everyone to believe that a pig with shades can win in Alberta if the ticket is for the Cons
Old 27-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #15
nosheep

Normal i would vote NDP but dad he voting con, and dad he's smarter than 99% of you and has the money to show so.....
Old 27-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
jmart81

That project democracy site is a bit hypocritical. I totally understand what they are doing, trying to stop vote spitting, but what about the vote splitting that happens to get a Liberal, NDP, or even a Bloc member a seat. No problems there, but if its a Tory....good god its the end of society as we know it. Just to point out, they are suggesting to vote for Bloc members in a few ridings to prevent a Tory being elected.

Strategic is like I said, bit hypocritical, but that is really needed is a better and more fair electoral system.
Old 27-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #17
jizzaldo

I thought this was interesting, can't believe this guy (goldring) represents me
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...820/story.html
Old 27-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

^ Yes, vote that useless Goldring out of office. Hopefully the voters in Edmonton-East will elect Ray Martin.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Ray Martin baby! He has a fighting shot. If the Youth of Edmonton East finally went to the polls we would get Goldring outta there no doubt
Old 27-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #20
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
WOW!

After reading this, what a goof.

Your disgusting Goldring. Cant believe you represent me also!
Old 27-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Peter "Say nothing, do nothing, see nothing + be invisible" Goldring
Stevo's perfect western Conservative candidate + member
Old 27-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #22
edmonton90
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
That project democracy site is a bit hypocritical. I totally understand what they are doing, trying to stop vote spitting, but what about the vote splitting that happens to get a Liberal, NDP, or even a Bloc member a seat. No problems there, but if its a Tory....good god its the end of society as we know it. Just to point out, they are suggesting to vote for Bloc members in a few ridings to prevent a Tory being elected.

Strategic is like I said, bit hypocritical, but that is really needed is a better and more fair electoral system.
It say upfront that the site is intended as a tool to help avoid a Harper majority.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #23
edmonton90
First One is Always Free

If Goldring gets a little more negative media attention in the next couple days, i'd say an NDP win is definitely possible. It might be a little too late though.
Old 27-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #24
jmart81

[/QUOTE]

It say upfront that the site is intended as a tool to help avoid a Harper majority.[/QUOTE]

Exactly..."project democracy" telling people who they should vote for instead of trying to figure out who they would want to vote for. Having said that, I am in no way, shape or form a NDP supporter, but I would rather see an MP like Ray Martin working then Goldring. They articles in the paper the past couple days sum up his past 10+ years in office.
Old 27-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
jizzaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
Ray Martin baby! He has a fighting shot. If the Youth of Edmonton East finally went to the polls we would get Goldring outta there no doubt
If the liberal vote combined into the NDP vote, Ray would make it. I'm not in favour of having the NDP run the country, but I am highly in favour of having Ray Martin represent me and my riding. that being said, I don't support Harper running the coutry either.
Old 27-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
I don't think I've ever seen Babiak write a kind word about the Tories, so I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 27-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Alex I would agree with you but Goldring is a hump at best
Old 28-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

I don't like Goldring at all and I think he is a horrible MP.

Regardless, I am voting for him because I think the Conservatives are the best party suited to run the country right now. I will never vote NDP.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #29
jizzaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

Regardless, I am voting for him because I think the Conservatives are the best party suited to run the country right now. I will never vote NDP.
Conservatives will run the country anyways, and while unfortunaltely I agree with you on that, I think Ray Martin would be our best local representative, he's high profile, and we can send a message to Harper that we shouldn't be ignored.
Old 28-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #30
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

So you will never vote NDP. And I assume you'll never vote Liberal or Green.

But you will vote for the most useless MP in Edmonton's history. In other words if a magpie was running for the Conservatives, people will still vote Conservative. Peter Goldring is the most expensive welfare recipient because he gets an MP's salary and pension for doing absolutely nothing.
Old 28-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #31
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
So you will never vote NDP. And I assume you'll never vote Liberal or Green.
No, you are wrong. I have voted Liberal before.

I will never vote NDP, because I fundamentally disagree with their root policies. I don't think this country would be run well by NDP. The Greens are a waste of a vote.

I am voting for the Conservative Party of Canada and want Stephen Harper to be my Prime Minister. The only way for me to support that is to vote for Goldring.
Old 28-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #32
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

do your riding a favor and just spoil your ballot
Old 28-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
240GLT
Addicted to C2E

I lost what shred of respect I had for Goldring when he started sending out hate literature to his constituents funded by taxpayers money
Old 28-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #34
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
do your riding a favor and just spoil your ballot
It really demonstrates a serious flaw with our voting system, doesn't it?
Old 28-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
I lost what shred of respect I had for Goldring when he started sending out hate literature to his constituents funded by taxpayers money
This

That goof sent papers smearing Louie Reil of all people to his areas people. What a goof.
Old 29-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #36
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

Well he appeared on camaera on last nights noose .............
likley no one recognised him
Old 29-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #37
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
I deliver copies of the Boyle McCauley News in my neighbourhood. I was shocked that the May 2011 edition hot off the presses and delivered yesterday to my home contained an advertisement from Peter Goldring identifying himself as a Member of Parliament. Not sure if this ad was paid for by public dollars or campaign dollars. Regardless, claiming to be a MP after an election is called is a violation of the Elections Act.

"1. What is the status of Members of the House of Commons following dissolution?

After dissolution, and the issue of writs for a general election, there are legally no Members of the House of Commons....Upon dissolution of Parliament, members of the House of Commons lose their status and title."
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/re...0812-e.htm#mp1
Old 29-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #38
kcantor
Addicted to C2E
Mr. Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
Quote:
I deliver copies of the Boyle McCauley News in my neighbourhood. I was shocked that the May 2011 edition hot off the presses and delivered yesterday to my home contained an advertisement from Peter Goldring identifying himself as a Member of Parliament. Not sure if this ad was paid for by public dollars or campaign dollars. Regardless, claiming to be a MP after an election is called is a violation of the Elections Act.

"1. What is the status of Members of the House of Commons following dissolution?

After dissolution, and the issue of writs for a general election, there are legally no Members of the House of Commons....Upon dissolution of Parliament, members of the House of Commons lose their status and title."
http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/re...0812-e.htm#mp1
was this a large new ad or the standard community newsletter businesscard ad that is typically booked, purchased and prepaid for a year in advance? if the latter, an election date was probably not even planned when it was bought and paid for and, if anything, the editor should have clarified or pulled the ad for this month (although you would be equally correct in thinking goldring should have been keeping track of his "advertising" and pulling it as well). not to "excuse" either of them but there's probably bigger issues to determine who to vote for - or not - than something like this. besides, those ads aren't usually meant to actually generate support anyway. possibly awareness but more likely they are simply an opportunity to provide dollars - however nominal - to support grass roots community ventures like community league newsletters.
really just cranky, miserable and disagreeable on principle but happy to have earned the title anyway; downtown arena fan; edmonton 2017 world's fair and edmonton indy supporter; proponent of "edmonton works"
Old 30-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #39
East McCauley
Addicted to C2E

^The Goldring ad was not the business card type. It has a photo of Goldring and identifies him as the Member of Parliament for Edmonton East.

The text of the ad seems clearly intended to win political support in the McCauley neighbourhood. The ad covers 40% of a tabloid sized page and describes in detail Goldring's role in "saving" our neighbourhood ice skating rink from a proposal to use a portion of the rink site for social housing a number of years ago.

The contact information on the ad takes you to his parliamentary website and constituency office phone number.

Makes me wonder if similar ads with tailored messages were placed in other community newspapers elsewhere in the riding.