Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Default Edmonton-Strathcona ‘one little orange blob’ amid sea of Tory blue

This Globe and Mail article paints an accurate picture on Edm-Strathcona:

Quote:
It’s here along Edmonton’s Whyte Avenue, a leftist enclave in the heart of conservative Canada, that a Harper rebuke took hold.

The popular strip is the city’s cultural capital. It’s home to students, artists and young professionals, while independent businesses peddle antiques, records, tattoos and liquor. Buskers flock here, wedged between the patios that line the bustling sidewalk.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...articlecontent
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Too bad more ridings in Alberta don't realize how useless are their Conservative MPs
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
Too bad more ridings in Alberta don't realize how useless are their Conservative MPs
And Linda Duncan has accomplished............?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Many local residents remain frustrated that the city’s two marquee summer events, the Fringe and Folk Music festivals, didn’t receive funding last year from a federal stimulus tourism fund.

“That’s a big deal in this community. The Fringe is Whyte Avenue. There is no separation,” said Sarah Jackson, 27, a graphic designer who owns a coffee shop on the street.

And the Harper government reneged on supporting the city’s Expo 2017 bid, which would have redeveloped part of the university campus and included funding for an LRT line through part of this riding.

This doesn’t play well, particularly given Toronto’s successful Pan Am Games bid. Any whiff of preferential treatment for Ontario through stimulus programs or major event support can deal a major blow to a candidate in Alberta.
I don't see Rona or Laurie Hawn or the invisible MP from Mill Woods defending Edmonton's interests.

At the very least Linda Duncan would stand up in the House of Commons and ask, "What about Edmonton?".
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Quote:
The same as James Rajotte and Rona Ambrose and Laurie Hawn and......................
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The same as James Rajotte and Rona Ambrose and Laurie Hawn and......................
No disagremeent here. I just think politicians should be held to the same standard. I don't think Duncan should get a pass just because she is not a Conservative.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

^^ and Peter Goldring. We always forget about Goldring.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
No disagremeent here. I just think politicians should be held to the same standard. I don't think Duncan should get a pass just because she is not a Conservative.
She doesn't. She does her homework.

But it is beyond me why Peter Goldring gets re-elected election after election. I don't think he should get a pass just because he is Conservative.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Komrade
Addicted to C2E

Goldring is terribad!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Quote:
She doesn't. She does her homework.

But it is beyond me why Peter Goldring gets re-elected election after election. I don't think he should get a pass just because he is Conservative.
Unfortunately I think that's what it comes down to sometimes. People maybe don't like Goldring but they like the CPC so he gets elected. The worst example of this is Rob Anders in Calgary. I think his own constituents hate him, even the Conservative ones, and they have tried to take the nomination away from him before. But in the end he gets reelected because they'd rather have a Conservative.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

I dare anyone to name all the rural Conservative MP's in Alberta and what they have done, lol.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Turtle
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:

All the ridings in Alberta can see thru the phony balony smile that Jack puts on when he comes to Alberta and calls us friend. Then goes to Quebec and gives us the finger.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Paul Turnbull
Addicted to C2E

Linda Duncan has done as much as any backbencher can do: speak and be known. Of course Jaffer put the riding on the map too but not in ways his constituents appreciated.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
JamesL
Addicted to C2E

It would be a crying shame if that empty suit Hastman won, especially after his lamentably embarrassing campaign launch -- but I'm seeing plenty of hustle from Linda D on the ground. Should be a good fight.

What's amusing to me about the Tory embarrassment over having lost this seat to Duncan is that they treat us (by "us", I mean, the good voters of Edmonton-Strathcona of which I am one) as misbehaving children rather than expending any effort or resources at all to address the aspirations of our city.

You're gonna have to do better than that if you want to paint my ballot blue!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
armin
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Quote:

All the ridings in Alberta can see thru the phony balony smile that Jack puts on when he comes to Alberta and calls us friend. Then goes to Quebec and gives us the finger.
And what has the conservatives done for Edmonton?

I'm in Rona's riding. She hasn't done a thing for my riding. She knows she has a lock so she ignores her own riding to help support ridings in Ontario.

Edmonton specifically gets ignored by the Conservatives. Unless you mean token things like Laurie Hawn giving a million dollars to the Royal Glenora while they shut down public pools.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
grish
Addicted to C2E

don't get me started on Hawn–one of the most useless MP's ever. He had big shoes to fill. He didn't even put them on.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
I dare anyone to name all the rural Conservative MP's in Alberta and what they have done, lol.
What is your point. I could not name all the conservative MPs (no apostrophe required) in Calgary either. Not my problem.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

Ryan Hastman's gong show campaign is opening page news on the Globe & Mail website:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1985287/
Old 14-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Ryan Hastman's gong show campaign is opening page news on the Globe & Mail website:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1985287/
That article isn't exactly critical of his campaign.

It's more general coverage about the riding, and it is one of the more interesting ridings to watch in Canada so I'm not surprised it's "opening page news" on their website.
Old 15-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
GreenSPACE
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Quote:
What is your point. I could not name all the conservative MPs (no apostrophe required) in Calgary either. Not my problem.
Thanks for the impromptu grammar lesson and letting me know you know all their names. My point was that I certainly wouldn't be able, considering most of them haven't ever done anything of significance.
Old 16-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
Alex87
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the impromptu grammar lesson and letting me know you know all their names. My point was that I certainly wouldn't be able, considering most of them haven't ever done anything of significance.
Maybe you have unrealistic expectations of backbenchers?
Old 17-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #22
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

If there are any Green/Liberal voters in Edmonton-Strathcona, make your vote count by registering to swap your vote:

http://www.votepair.ca/
Old 19-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
bootlegga
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by grish View Post
don't get me started on hawn–one of the most useless mp's ever. He had big shoes to fill. He didn't even put them on.

ZING!