Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 14-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

Default Federal Party Platforms and the North

I have been looking through the web and I do not see much in the way of policy or plan for the Canadian North and Arctic.

So far , it appears only the conservatives have any focus on it at all. They have a number of commitments. I would like to see the other parties intentions regarding northern issues.

A fair number of Edmonton based businesses and workers have ties to the north and are affected by government policy .

As noted in recent article in the Globe and mail l, Nunavut is a functional basket case. I know that federal intervention will be needed and it will be costly . Health , Infrastructure , housing , food are all issues and the liabilities continue to build. It was a mistake to expect Good governance in territory that was not prepared for it . The Auditor General has confirmed this time and again . Besides the sovereignty and resources issues, there are big bills coming down the pike. All parties should be have a northern strategy.