Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Edmonton Police Service Online Town Hall From Monday 4th through Thursday April 7th, the Edmonton Police Service is partnering with Connect2Edmonton to conduct a Town Hall. The forum will take questions on Monday to Thursday, and answers will be posted Tuesday through Friday.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > The Ask Forum Archives > Edmonton Police Service Online Town Hall

Old 31-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Admin
Forum Administrator

Default Edmonton Police Online Town Hall- Monday April 4th Question Thread

This thread will open at 00:01h Monday April 4th and close at 15:00h the same day.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
jstock
Addicted to C2E

About two years ago I was assaulted at the Jasper Place Transit Centre. After hitting the HELP button, I was asked by transit security to wait there for 40 minutes until they could arrive. The next day when I filed a police report, the police at the station asked me why I didn't call 911.

I had assumed that ETS would contact EPS because I had mentioned this was "in-progress".

Under what circumstances does ETS security contact EPS for assistance, or is it simply up to the victim to call 911?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
CraftyGal
First One is Always Free

Default Alberta Ave issues

We are still having issues around the criminal element knowing when the beat officers are done in the area (Alberta Ave). Is there a way to stagger the times of when the officers start and end there shifts? We have found that the community gets peace and quiet when there is an element of surprise.

It is getting better but this has been an ongoing issue.

CraftyGal
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Barry N
Addicted to C2E

Does the EPS have a traffic division ? By that I mean an actual segment of police vehicles that do nothing but patrol the streets looking for violators.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
JJMorrocco
Addicted to C2E

The city completed a study last summer on reduced speed limits (40km/hr) in certain communities. Does the EPS agree that this is a useful tactic to reduce incident and injuries? If so will the EPS recommend a 20% reduction on all speed limits in the city? How does the EPS plan to enforce this limit if the study deems it a success and the reduced limit is implemented city wide? If the plan is to use current resources to police this how will it affect the 'real' crime that is currently going unsolved due to inadequate resources?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

How much does EPS need to grow (manpower and budget wise) over the next 5 years to keep pace with growth and to keep current service levels in check?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

Multi-part question:

I recently met with the new beat patrol in Belvedere for some Q&A, and was surprised to hear that they, prior to this new endeavor, had almost no clue about community policing, and until participating did not believe in it. The officer specifically stated that it took a lot of convincing as he was all about arrests, arrests, arrests in the past.

As a civilian, it always seemed like a no-brainer to have a regular, friendly, police presence in all communities, to both increase the public perception of the police, and for long term crime prevention as opposed to after-the-fact arrests (ie. how New York turned itself around through community policing). It also seems this type of policing changes the public perception of the police from one of mistrust to one of cooperation and understanding.

1. What is the long-term plan for policing in Edmonton to prevent crime in the first place as opposed to arresting criminals after a crime has been committed?

2. How does the EPS gauge public perception? Does it factor into operating procedure? What is being done to foster a better relationship between EPS members and the general public?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Hello and thank you for the great work.

Right now, especially at this time of the year, we see a lot of garbage and cigarette butts on the streets. Do any of the foot patrol officers write tickets to any offending street polluters they happen to catch, or is this outside EPS' mandate?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Question- Why is there not more of a focus/allotment of officers for a true BEAT patrol in the downtown core? It would seem logical to do this in order to establish a stronger overt presence to those who might consider offending in the area, along with strengthening ties between residents and the business community.

thanks

BACKGROUND:
Thank you for this opportunity.

As a member of the Downtown Community League (www.decl.org) and a resident of the downtown, I can tell you that safety and the perception of the lack there of currently is very much top of mind with residents and business owners.

While I did recall reading that the EPS had plans of increasing BEAT PATROLS in central areas, I rarely see this occurring in the downtown. While traveling in NYC or Boston, it was quite amazing to see the amount of beat officers on corners, chatting with business owners etc.

There is a significant need, both visually and otherwise, to increase this presence and make better connections to the downtown community.

Please feel free to contact me via PM or via our website to discuss in more detail following this forum.

regards

Ian

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Last edited by IanO; 04-04-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
edmontonpolice
First One is Always Free

Hello IanO.

I appreciate your response, but in order to best address your concerns, could you please repost with the formal question articulated for me please?

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonpolice View Post
Hello IanO.

I appreciate your response, but in order to best address your concerns, could you please repost with the formal question articulated for me please?

Thank you!
As above, thanks again.

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
sundance
Addicted to C2E

Why is it that the traffic branch seems to focus strictly on speeding tickets? There are countless other violations that I see every day; driving on the shoulder, driving across the gores on interchange ramps, not signalling for lane changes, broken taillights, dirty license plates, yet rarely do I see a police officer stopping for these violations.

I do realize that to enforce these laws you need a presence on the road and speed traps are easier to manage but it isn't the ONLY problem on our roads.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Admin
Forum Administrator

As per the set up of this town hall, this thread is closed as of 15:00h Monday. The answers will be posted by 09:00h tomorrow in the following thread:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=20181

You may ask your next set of questions in the Tuesday forum which can be accessed from the following link:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=20180