Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2011 Federal Election Forum This Forum is to gather all topics and discussions around the 2011 Federal Election. This was born out of the Jimbo thread entitled the "real issues". This forum will be archived 1 week after the end of the election.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > Archived event-specific forums > 2011 Federal Election Forum

Old 22-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
expatinvancouver
Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Federal Election Wish List

With groups across the country, already laying out what they are looking for from the federal government. I thought a Edmonton wish list would be a good conversation starter.
In order to keep the list from looking like a series of grocery lists, only 3 wishes per person, works in fairy tales, and face it, budgets these days fall into the catagory.

If we end up with an election a poll encompassing the top 5-10 can be added.

Southeast/West LRT by 2017
Yellowhead Trail freeflow by 2017
Relocation of Northern related deparments from Ottawa to Edmonton
Old 22-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
whynow99

I wish Fidel was 30 years younger and a Canadian, he would have USA asking us for help not what Harper is doing, begging Obama for a photo op
Old 22-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

1. LRT funding
2. Port Alberta
3. Walterdale Bridge funding
Old 22-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

4. No transfer payments, so we can buy all the above 10x on our own
Old 22-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
IanO
Addicted to C2E

Gas tax for transit upped.

Higher levels of support for single parents.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
Old 23-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
North Guy66
Addicted to C2E

1. No Rona
2. No Laurie Hawn
3. No Peter Goldring
Old 23-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
1. No Rona
2. No Laurie Hawn
3. No Peter Goldring
We'll get the chance soon enough. I predict an election will be called for the first Monday in May.
Old 23-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Blueline
Addicted to C2E

A two party system
Old 23-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
andrew

My wish....
Canadians suddenly smarten up and turf the little tyrant and his brand of political thugs that continually pander to the lowest common denominator (attack ads etc.). In their world, it seems that being smart is a bad thing. This attitude will eventually drive Canada into the ground in terms of competing with countries that value education.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
PrairieBoyinExile

I'd like to see the cancellation of the stock option deduction that results in most stock options being only 50% taxable. Stock options are employment income; there's no reason they should get preferential treatment to other employment income. Higher personal income taxes on incomes over about $200k would also be nice.

On the expenditures side I'd like to see investments in green energy and high speed rail, particularly the Windsor to Quebec corridor.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
I'd like to see the cancellation of the stock option deduction that results in most stock options being only 50% taxable. Stock options are employment income; there's no reason they should get preferential treatment to other employment income. Higher personal income taxes on incomes over about $200k would also be nice.

On the expenditures side I'd like to see investments in green energy and high speed rail, particularly the Windsor to Quebec corridor.
Don't expect any promises like that from our current government. The Conservatives wouldn't dare tax someone wealthy, nor are they likely to invest in environmentally friendly products.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
Don't expect any promises like that from our current government. The Conservatives wouldn't dare tax someone wealthy, nor are they likely to invest in environmentally friendly products.
Its funny you write that, the Liberals are much closer to Bay street and even less likely to do this (remember the income trust saga, and how they were happy to see companies like TELUS about to become non-taxable at corporate level?). The conservatives aren't a big business party, they are a grass routes / small business one.
Old 23-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Quote:
Its funny you write that, the Liberals are much closer to Bay street and even less likely to do this (remember the income trust saga, and how they were happy to see companies like TELUS about to become non-taxable at corporate level?). The conservatives aren't a big business party, they are a grass routes / small business one.
Oh I don't expect the Liberals to be perfect, but they'll do more for the every-day person than the Conservatives have ever done. Plus, they actually seem to care about he environment.

And in response to the bolded section above, I would say the Conservatives are all about BUSINESS. Or have you forgot the recent reductions to the federal corporate tax structure?
Old 23-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
PrairieBoyinExile

Quote:
Oh I don't expect the Liberals to be perfect, but they'll do more for the every-day person than the Conservatives have ever done. Plus, they actually seem to care about he environment.

And in response to the bolded section above, I would say the Conservatives are all about BUSINESS. Or have you forgot the recent reductions to the federal corporate tax structure?
I also think the Liberals are far from perfect, but they'd be a lot better than the appalling regime we have in place. Even just the fact that they have an actual team of competent individuals...strong members like Scott Brison, Dominic Leblanc, John McCallum, Martha Hall Findlay, Ralph Goodale, and Mark Holland, just to name a few. The conservatives have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find people like Bev Oda and Vic Toews to put in cabinet positions.
Old 23-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Those reductions / goal of 25% corporate rate (which I totally support, I see more investment / new business / jobs, starting in Canada rather than the US because of it) came from the Liberal party, it was their plan when they were in power, the Conservatives just carried it on.
Old 23-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
PrairieBoyinExile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
Those reductions / goal of 25% corporate rate (which I totally support, I see more investment / new business / jobs, starting in Canada rather than the US because of it) came from the Liberal party, it was their plan when they were in power, the Conservatives just carried it on.
For once I agree with you. I think low corporate tax rates are a good thing, although I don't think we should go further into a deficit to do it. I would prefer to see higher personal taxes on the wealthy as I stated earlier. We also need an estate tax on large inheritances as Linda McQuaig discusses in her book "The Trouble with Billionaires."
Old 23-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
alex69
Banned

I just wish Harper would drop dead. Is it too much to ask for?
Old 23-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Why don't people get it? There should be more money for me, and less for everyone else. I wish all those sheep(le) would smarten up and realize I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I should get whatever I want. People should be forced to do whatever I want them to do, and like it, because it's for their own good. There is no debate. If they don't comply, they should die. God, people are stupid! Anyone who disagrees with me is an evil tyrant enabler. No wonder everything here is so horrible, and our lives are so terrible - look who we vote for. Why can't we be more like, um, ...

/sarc
Old 23-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

Restore the GST to 7% and a reduction in personal income tax with a marginal increase to the highest tax bracket.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
andrew

Hmmm. Given the defensive attempts at sarcasm in some of the posts here questioning the preeminence of our current "Harper government", perhaps the desire of some of us to rid ourselves of a government demostrated to be contemptuous of the entire parlimentry process has touched a nerve. I for one apologize to all for daring to think that Mr. Harper is anything but the best prime minister EVER! I will now meekly get back in line and follow our esteemed leader as he spends ever more taxpayer money on really cool planes, partisan advertisments all while cutting the GST and thus lowering government revenues. I now realize the error of my ways and have learned that thinking is for saps. Priase Harper!
Old 23-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #21
PrairieBoyinExile

I hope Moa and Jimbo are on the payroll of the Conservative party. It has been revealed that they pay provocateurs to argue on their behalf in online forums. I'd like to see some of Edmonton's own get a piece of that pie.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
Restore the GST to 7% and a reduction in personal income tax with a marginal increase to the highest tax bracket.
Lol, the GST increase would hammer the poor disproprotiontley (GST is regressive), and the highest income increase would just cause more people to set up illegal offshore accounts (or retire and spend their money overseas). Given how stupidly low the highest bracket kicks in (about half of Edmonton households are probably over it), I don't think any party other than the NDP would be dumb enough to suggest this attack on the middle class.

Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2011 at 03:29 PM..
Old 23-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
MrOilers
Addicted to C2E

I would like to see a Conservative majority. Mostly because I would like to see how the party would do if they could govern without having to bend ther plans to satiate the opposition parties.

And the Harper bashers should not be so upset about a Conservative majority, because if they screw up with a majority, Conservatives and their supporters won't be able to point fingers at the opposition when the government screws up. We'll finally be able to properly judge how good or bad Harper truly is as PM.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #24
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

I vowed to not vote Conservative because of the Expo shaft, and the LRT funding that came with it, but with talk of a coalition forming I'm forced to vote against anything that includes the Bloc.

Last edited by Chmilz; 23-03-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Old 23-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #25
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I would like to see a Conservative majority.
x2, For example, I think without the Stimulus spend that the opposition parties pushed through, we probably wouldn't be as much in the deficit situation they now complain about. If what the Bashers say is true, they will mess things up, and then the Bashers can get their wet dream (a left coalition, return of the "Toronto centre of the universe" Liberals, or whatever).
Old 23-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
ajs
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanO View Post
Gas tax for transit upped.

Higher levels of support for single parents.
How about a federal government with enough courage to go beyond envelope funding for cities and deal with the constitutional questions that impoverish cities and bloat provincial treasuries. And while were at it let's see some electoral reform.
Old 23-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #27
amylauren33
First One is Always Free

1) LRT to Mill Woods and West as soon as possible.
2) More support for Single parents
3) More support for students. I mean, im in unviersity , I cant get help from Alberta works because Im in schoool.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #28
howie
Addicted to C2E

Dump that moneysucking traitor Duceppe. He falsely pledges allegiance to the Queen to get the job and then proceeds with separatist antics? Is the guillotine still available under the Napoleonic code?

Oh, sorry, this thread is about Edmonton. Then:
1. LRT everywhere
2. A cap on transfer payments that leaves the lion's share with Edmonton
3. Make that 40-grand forgiveness for new doctors retro to 2003. My daughter would benefit.
4. A revised, better climate
Old 23-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #29
Old time Hockey

1. Fair representation by population (more seats for Alberta and Edmonton)
2. LRT funding
3. Some of our transfer payments back so we can have equal services to the "have not" provinces.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

a) increased public transportation funding
b) increased general infrastructure funding
c) funds to develop a national education strategy, making degree requirements and credit transfers between institutions easier.
Old 23-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #31
Montrosian
Addicted to C2E

I find it funny how people, especially here in blue Alberta, love to state how much they hate the conservatives on forums like this. Yet come election time, Alberta is a Tory landslide over and over again, and the conservatives get closer and closer to a majority. You all talk about a possible liberal uprising to oust the conservatives. But really it's just likely just the same disillusion we've been seeing for years.
Old 24-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #32
etownboarder
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingswayGuy View Post
I find it funny how people, especially here in blue Alberta, love to state how much they hate the conservatives on forums like this. Yet come election time, Alberta is a Tory landslide over and over again, and the conservatives get closer and closer to a majority. You all talk about a possible liberal uprising to oust the conservatives. But really it's just likely just the same disillusion we've been seeing for years.
You're far from the only one to have the same observation.
Old 24-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #33
Jimbo
Addicted to C2E

Frankly I don't have a huge problem with either the Liberals or Conservatives (though I disagree with parts of each of their platforms). I sure don't want a coalition that includes the Bloc. In fact I want to know up front if the parties I'm considering are planning on forming a coalition with a party I do not support (NDP or Bloc).

But overall, despite being ruled by an appalling regime, Canada continues to be an ok place to live compared to, well, just about anywhere.

It seems the choice, for Albertans, is a party that will screw Alberta, a party that will screw Alberta even more, or a party that will screw Alberta even more again, with a good chance the last two will join forces with a party that would like to screw over all of Canada except Quebec.

What I really don't want is another needless, wasteful election.
Old 24-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
Chmilz
Addicted to C2E

^Exactly. I really don't want to vote Conservative, but the alternative is just so awful I don't think I'll be able to avoid it.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #35
Glenco
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post

Oh, sorry, this thread is about Edmonton. Then:
1. LRT everywhere
2. A cap on transfer payments that leaves the lion's share with Edmonton
3. Make that 40-grand forgiveness for new doctors retro to 2003. My daughter would benefit.
4. A revised, better climate
Sounds about right.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
howie
Addicted to C2E

And, apropos to Edmonton, maybe our federales could take a leaf out of the UK government's budget this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12848701