Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Great Ideas for A Greater Edmonton Do you have an idea that you feel could help enhance Edmonton's image, profile or reputation? Small or large, dramatic or subtle, we want to hear from you! Community projects, solutions to problems, ideas about improvements to Edmonton, or neat new directions for the area, post them all here.

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Features > Great Ideas for A Greater Edmonton

Old 30-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Sonic Death Monkey
Addicted to C2E

Default Who misses the free downtown LRT?

One informal discussion that came up before the meeting was the demise of the free downtown LRT service during the daytime.

While removing the free service has saved some money and has simplified the "Transit Fare zone" aspect, it is a greatly missed service for those who work in the government office district and want to get to the core for dining and shopping. It was argued back then that the numbers didn't warrant it. But what about now, with more businesses and workers in downtown (e.g. Capital Health)?

Perhaps one compromise is to reinstate the free service between 11:30 and 1:30, as opposed to the 9 AM - 3 PM timeframe from before.

Otherwise then let's see some more development on Jasper Ave between 106 - 109 St. I mean, one can only lunch at Timmy Ho's and Burger King so many times.
Sonic Death Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
IanO
Addicted to C2E

HERE HERE

'Don't just slap a picture in & call it content. That's like slapping a big wing on a Honda and calling it a race car.' - noodle

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
RichardS
C2E Junkie

I know for me being disabled that the free LRT would be nice to go to other spots DT during the lunch hour. Crutches and snow are not a fun combination.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
grish
Addicted to C2E

In would be ok with that as a temp solution until the downtown trolley or street car or a heritage bus is introduced. That service should be free downtown in day-time as a hop-on-hop-off type of operation.
grish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Medwards
Addicted to C2E

Default Re: Who misses the free downtown LRT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
Otherwise then let's see some more development on Jasper Ave between 106 - 109 St. I mean, one can only lunch at Timmy Ho's and Burger King so many times.
Not to take away from your point, but there is a lot more restaurants and food services in this area that you are leading to.
Seeing as I used to work in the IBM building, theres a fantasic bistro on the main floor there, there Burger Baron on jasper ave, theres Doans, and a few other places by Burger King.
Theres also Martinis on 109st (which has an excellent quick lunchs) and the place across the street from it
I'm sure I'm missing a few.

But I still agree, the more the better.
Medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
DebraW
Addicted to C2E

Yup!

This service was wonderful and I used to utilize it all the time in the winter to do the Government to Scotia Place or Churchill loop.

Something else that came up last night was a display in the stations indicating ETA wait for the next LRT.
DebraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
MikeK
Addicted to C2E

I found the free LRT handy especially handy when it was -30C.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

out of curiosity, when did the fare free zone actually die off? can't find any info on that
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
The_Cat
Addicted to C2E

I think the free downtown might work again as the SE and West LRT is built. They could have free LRT along MacEwan-Churchill-Central-Bay/ES-Corona-Grandin/CG, and along the Downtown Connector line from Quarters to Grant MacEwan, and south to Government Centre.

Again, the time restrictions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. could work.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

With plans for a surface LRT through downtown, a free zone is probably a good idea. I don't get the 9:00 - 3:00 thing though, why not make it full time?
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Hull534
Addicted to C2E

When I worked downtown, I agree that it was useful to have the free LRT . I then switched to a monthly transit pass and it became a moot point. I suspect with the increase of LRT ridership over time and the introduction of the tax credit it has reduced the need somewhat also.
I know that ETS was concerned that having a free zone led to abuse and enforcement issues etc. I think that if ETS is moving to smart loadable cards, there should and be an option of having a "Downtown only pass" that could be had for a real nominal fee , say $5.00 A MONTH. The advantage being that every rider requires a ticket . You could then remove the restrictions on hours etc. A good perk also for downtown living . . It possibly could be given as a benefit to go along with a monthly parking pass to encourage use of our downtown.
Hull534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
murphys
Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
One informal discussion that came up before the meeting was the demise of the free downtown LRT service during the daytime.

While removing the free service has saved some money and has simplified the "Transit Fare zone" aspect, it is a greatly missed service for those who work in the government office district and want to get to the core for dining and shopping. It was argued back then that the numbers didn't warrant it. But what about now, with more businesses and workers in downtown (e.g. Capital Health)?

Perhaps one compromise is to reinstate the free service between 11:30 and 1:30, as opposed to the 9 AM - 3 PM timeframe from before.

I work in government office district and used the free service alot before it was stopped, especially in the winter. Bringing it back would be great.
murphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

I can't think of one major center that has a free zone... I think this was a thing of the past and will remain there.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
DTrobotnik
Addicted to C2E

i don't mind paying downtown when i think about the extra revenue it could generate once more lines are built. small price to pay when considering the expenses that a new arena or new lrt infrastructure or developing areas like the quarters will require. it might not be much but every little bit helps if it means improving the city
DTrobotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Titanium48
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
I can't think of one major center that has a free zone... I think this was a thing of the past and will remain there.
Has Calgary abolished theirs?
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #16
edmonton daily photo
Addicted to C2E

^ better question... is Calgary a major center..

NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Paris, San Fran don't have free zones... If Calgary does still have theirs it's not the norm.

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 10-01-2011 at 02:42 PM..
edmonton daily photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
moahunter
Addicted to C2E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
Has Calgary abolished theirs?
Calgary still has, although its quite short (doesn't take in the zoo for example).
moahunter is offline   Reply With Quote