Remember Me?
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Connect2Edmonton > C2E Cafe > The Ask Forum Archives > 2010 Civic Election Forum > Ward 9 - Councillor Candidates

Old 21-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Admin
ADMIN

Default Candidate Bryan Kent Anderson

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Bryan Kent Anderson Councillor Ward 9.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Channing76
Partially Addicted to C2E

Mr. Anderson will be receiving my vote based on his stance on the city centre airport.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
mki

Default The Arts

Thank you in advance for your time and effort on addressing one more important subject - The Arts:
  • Please articulate your position on the Arts and how that relates to future support of the Arts, if elected.
  • Have you read The Art of Living 2008 -2018, as outlined from the Edmonton Arts Council? http://www.edmontonarts.ca/eac_publications/ Do you see this as an important vision for Edmonton and how would you support this vision?
Thank you again.

Last edited by mki; 07-10-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
howie
Addicted to C2E

Hello Mr. Anderson,

Re. the City Centre Airport, what do you see as the probable timeframe for getting full closure under way, and a start being made on proposed developments?

Can you tell us what your action plan will entail on getting public bus service out to EIA?

Thank you.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Hello Mr. Anderson,

Re. the City Centre Airport, what do you see as the probable timeframe for getting full closure under way, and a start being made on proposed developments?

Can you tell us what your action plan will entail on getting public bus service out to EIA?

Thank you.
Howie,

There are a number of leases that run out in a 10 year time frame. It makes sense to allow the leases to run out, instead of having to buy them out. Development will occur from east to west with probably NAIT expansion leading the way. The second runway will close when development pressure requires more space.

Subject to the Greyhound bus line intervention, I believe bus service to EIA could be operating within a year.

Bryan Anderson
Old 07-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

mki,

I have supported all arts council requests over the last 12 years. Future budget requests will be based on Art of Living recommendations.

Yes, I have read the Art of Living. Yes, a long term vision for support of the arts is important.

Bryan Anderson

Last edited by Bryan K Anderson; 07-10-2010 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: add a name
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
mki

Thank you Councillor Anderson!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
howie
Addicted to C2E

Thank you for your answers, Cllr. Anderson.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Altaflyer
First One is Always Free

Question Transit Service to Airport

When you answered that we will see transit service to the airport within a year do you mean true ETS service that is in fact Airport Service? The current Leduc initiative (challenged by Greyhound) is service for Leduc and Nisku and only incidentally services the airport a grand total of 4 times in each direction per weekday. Greyhound has no basis to challenge a Century Park to YEG service.

Do you support the type of service that council, yourself included, voted down recently (ie. every 30 mins 5am to 1 am 7 days a week)? At the council debate you indicated you would support such a service IF it stopped at Nisku. Now, Mr. Anderson is whether the bus stops at Nisku really a concern for your Ward? Sure, you may get 2-3 Nisku passengers that will step out of their big trucks and SUVs heading to the industrial area but really this is a red herring and inconsequential - no?

If we are losing our City Centre airport then we deserve transit to the EDMONTON airport - yes, it is our airport. We also do not have ETS service to our train station - how embarrassing for a major city to fail to offer service to both the airport and the train station!!
Old 12-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

Altaflyer,
Yes I support the service that was proposed, half hour to 1 am.
My comment about Nisku was that any boarding would assist in reducing the operation cost.
Because a new council will be in place, that motion can be tabled quite quickly.
I want to see a letter of financial commitment from ERAA.
The bus service will take the pressure off their parking demands.

Regards,
Bryan Anderson
Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Old time Hockey

Good evening Mr. Anderson,

For the most part, I have to agree with everything you have been doing on council and where you stand on issues such as transit and the City Center airport closure. I have one question. Do you support the funding of a new arena for downtown Edmonton to be paid back through charging the Katz group rent, charging a graduating ticket tax (higher cost lower bowl and lower cost upper seats), and a revitalization levy?

I know not everyone will use it and some people will have the attitude that the city should only provide core essentials, but I know a lot of people that want it. Could you please state what your position will be on having this break ground in the spring?

Thank you
Old 13-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Thomas Hinderks
Flying Encyclopedia

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
Executive Director
Alberta Aviation Museum
Old 13-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

Old time Hockey,
To put things into perspective, a City should provide support and assistance for a wide variety of things that add to a City's quality of life. No one citizen will use them all, but all citizens will use one or more. The three funding proposals you identified are all possible sources of revenue that will allow any debt incurred for the construction of the new arena to be paid back over the life of the building. The Oilers have a lease that ends in 2014. They would prefer to start the 2015 season in a new arena. I am assuming that from their point of view any negotiations would be directed at starting construction with that goal in mind.

Regards,
Bryan Anderson
Old 13-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

Thomas,
I would support including the Aviation Museum into any new development proposed for the downtown airport site. By the way, Blatchford would be a good name for that new neighbourhood.

Regards,
Bryan Anderson
Old 13-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Thomas Hinderks
Flying Encyclopedia

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your response.

Thomas Hinderks
Executive Director
Alberta Aviation Museum
Old 13-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Old time Hockey

Thank you for your response. While I am asking questions, I figure I might ask one that directly affects people such as myself in the ward. Do you have a timeline for making Terwillegar Drive a freeway from Whitemud to the Henday?
Old 18-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Bryan K Anderson
First One is Always Free

old time hockey,
sorry for the delay in answering you query on terw. drive. The province's long term plan is to have a 6/8 lane freeway-standard roadway from wm drive to the int. airport. All they have done so far is require our n'hood plans in windermere to protect the required road right-of-way in each plan that is approved. I believe it may be decades before we see that road built. Each n'hood entrance will require an interchange which makes the whole project very expensive.
Old 18-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Old time Hockey

Thanks for the response Bryan and let me be the first to congratulate you on your landslide victory. Time to keep moving!
Old 18-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
howie
Addicted to C2E

Congratulations, Cllr. Anderson. Well done.