PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton's best MP

Logan,L
29-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Just wanted to see who C2E members think is edmontons best hard working or most outspoken current MP is

DebraW
29-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Current or potential?

Logan,L
29-08-2008, 04:43 PM
current

MJ
29-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Darn, where's the choice for Tony Caterina? ;)

Logan,L
29-08-2008, 05:00 PM
tony caterina is a councillar not an MP

DebraW
29-08-2008, 05:04 PM
tony caterina is a councillar not an MP

Yes, indeed.

Good poll.

DebraW
29-08-2008, 05:06 PM
How about which MP will NOT be running in the next federal election?

I know for sure that John Williams, MP for St. Albert is not running but am pretty certain that the others will be running again.

Jeff
29-08-2008, 05:09 PM
hmmm - does most outspoken... imply best?

Logan,L
29-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Brent rathgeber i think is taking his place but i am talking about current

Sonic Death Monkey
29-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I had to go with Rona simply because she seems to be the most visible MP in our city, always at local ribbon-cuttings, federal announcements, etc.

etownboarder
29-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I had to go with Rona simply because she seems to be the most visible MP in our city, always at local ribbon-cuttings, federal announcements, etc.

Only cause she's a pretty face, and there's really nobody else to go.

Dusty Bear
30-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Being outspoken or the most visible is not necessarily what makes an MP good. I voted for John Williams above (though Anne McLellan would have been my first choice if she were still an MP). He's toiled in relative quiet, chairing the public accounts committee when he was in opposition, and founding GOPAC - the Global Organization of Parliamentarians Against Corruption (http://www.parlcent.ca/gopac).

The Global Organization Against Corruption (GOPAC) is an international network of parliamentarians dedicated to good governance and combating corruption throughout the world. Founded in 2002 at a conference hosted by the Canadian House of Commons and Senate, GOPAC has over 400 members around the world, organised into regional and national chapters.

What Does GOPAC do?

Incorporated under Canadian law as a not-for-profit organization, GOPAC is guided by a global Board of Directors selected by regional chapters. The Board’s Executive Committee is chaired by John Williams, Member of Parliament, Canada. Musikari Kombo (MP, Kenya) and Dr. Naser Al-Sane (MP, Kuwait) are its Vice Chairs.

In addition to developing regional chapters, member information services, and building alliances, GOPAC has identified a number of specific agenda items for 2002-2006, including:

Handbook for parliamentarians on controlling corruption;
A training/orientation package for parliamentarians on the budgetary and financial oversight role of parliamentarians;
A code of conduct for parliamentarians;
Indicators of performance for parliamentary oversight;
Parliamentarians with an anti-money laundering agenda; and
Implementing the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC).

Williams also did a lot of groundwork with Peter McKay that helped lead to the merger between the Alliance and the PC parties (for better or worse).