PDA

View Full Version : List of things to do for visitors

ShermanT
06-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I'll start this forum up I guess :mrgreen:

I hope I am flooded with a few responses from the forum regulars on this one. I have a friend that might potentially be coming from the States for the first time and I want to show him what Edmonton is all about. What should I have on the list of things he needs to do before he leaves? Lets say he has a week in summer sometime.

I have my ideas but i'm beginning to think that I even have the wrong idea about Edmonton. Show me how wrong I am :wink:

Thanks!

DebraW
07-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Okay, I will wade in.

I would have to suggest that any visitor be encouraged to visit during (ranked in order of my personal favs).

Taste of Edmonton (my absolute favorite!). In addition, oh yeah, that new thing at Northlands is on at the same time - Cap-Ex. Both run from July 20 to 29, 2006.

Heritage Days (are you sensing a theme) is on at Hawrelak Park from August 05-07, 2006.

The Fringe (good food and great entertainment!) Hi Yo Fringe - Away! runs August 17-27. Our world-famous Festival is the second-largest Fringe event in the world!

Edmonton International Street Performers Festival runs July 07-16, 2006.

27th Folk Festival coming to Gallagher Park August 10-13, 2006.
10th Annual Edmonton Dragon Boat Festival is on August 18-20, 2006 at Government House Park.
Any summer long weekend to see the waterfall off the High Level Bridge (a little cheesy perhaps, but hey it is unique to Edmonton).

Then there are always the restaurants to visit:

Oriental Noodle House on 101 St. for Vietnamese; Kids in the Hall in City Hall for great food; Pico Linos on 142 St. for Italian; Santa Maria Goretti Community Centre behind Clarke Stadium for Italian Sunday Brunch; Koutouki Restaurant for Greek on 124 St.; and the New Asian Village West on 100 Ave. for fantastic curry to name a few

Heck, I would have any visitor stay here the whole summer. Or better yet, I would suggest that they just move here and get it over with resistance is futile you will love Edmonton!

Cheers,

ThomasH
07-03-2006, 12:53 AM
My suggestions would be to check out Elk Island National Park, only a 20 minute drive east of Edmonton. The park offers an excellent opportunity to view Buffalos and other wildlife, this is sure to impress any visiters from abroad.

Rent a bike and tackle the trails along the North Saskatchewan River, there is so many bike paths that it would take a week to ride them all.

Rent a canoe and paddle down the North Saskatchewan River, if doing a workout isn't your friends cup of tea then enjoy a ride on the Edmonton Queen.

Fort Edmonton Park offers a nice way to spend the day checking out Edmonton's past.

Take a helicopter or airplane over the city. Even better yet, take a ride in a hot air baloon!

If your friend likes to Golf there are plenty of courses to choose from from entry level golf courses to spectacular golf courses that require a deep wallet.

I know there are plenty of other ideas out there but I don't have enough time to list them all...

RichardS
07-03-2006, 08:22 AM
If he/she is here at the right time - DO THE GRAND PRIX!!!! :D

There is always the obligatory stop at WEM.

The Ukranian villiage would compliment the Elk Island stop.

Muttart.

Check out what plays are in town.

I would also have to strongly recommend canoeing or rafting down the NS River from Devon. A nice relaxing day, and if you have the equipment - FREE!!! If not, there are a great group of outfitters that do this, and also pick you up and feed you at the other end.

Do the Alberta Aviation Museum. This is a great collection of aircraft at the City Center Airport.

Dragon Boat Festival

Budweiser Motorsports Park - especially Rocky Mountain Nationals

M-T town west of Edmonton

Royal Alberta Museum and the Alberta Art Gallery.

...and a whole list of others that I am sure will come out. What you could do though is have your friend post on C2E with his rants and raves after he sees the place!:)

cara
07-03-2006, 09:28 AM
A perfect summer day in Edmonton might include:

-Breakfast at the Blue Plate Diner

-Rollerblading in the river valley by Victoria Park to work off your big morning meal

-Across the bridge up to the University (quick drive around to show off the school's facilities)

-Strathcona Market

-Spend the afternoon on Whyte walking, shopping, people watching etc

-Hawrelak park for the rest of the day and early evening. Play a little frisbee/football, BBQ for supper.

-Grab some drinks and live music at the new Sidetrack Cafe downtown

AND THAT'S JUST ONE DAY!

ShermanT
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I gotta be honest and say that *I* have never even done 95% of the things in this list! :oops:

These are excellent ideas... exactly what I was hoping for. I am compiling a list of things to try and (eventually) things to do with people who come here. I'm gonna have to ask about some of the specific activities when I have a chance.

Keep them coming...

ShermanT
10-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Looks like the time he would be coming is in mid-May and not summer so the most of the festivals will have not started yet.

- Pico Linos Sounds interestinge f
- Elk Island will be on the list
- When does the Edmonton Queen actually start running?
- A hot air baloon ride would be cool.. but who offers this?
- Where is the Ukranian Village?
- Canoeing down the NS River from Devon would be nice, but is it recommended to do this in May?
- I've never heard of the Blue Plate Diner but I will have to check it out
- Sidetrack Cafe is a great idea
- Whyte Ave and WEM are two of the normal things I would take every visitor on and this time will be no exception
- I'm not too sure about the artsy type things (Museum, Art Gallery etc.)... I'll have to see if he likes that kind of stuff

Some background information is that he is around 21-23 years of age, and he has been to some of the largest cities in the world. (Chicago, LA, New York, London, Paris, Rome to name a few). Obviously the charms of Edmonton are different than any of those cities, but at the same time I also don't want to give the impression that Edmonton is "boring". Edmonton has great open spaces, outdoorsy type things to do, artsy type things, great food, and a really big mall. Anything else I should try to emphasize? Too bad he is coming before the festivals Edmonton is known for have started.

RichardS
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
- Pico Linos Sounds interestinge f
- Elk Island will be on the list
- When does the Edmonton Queen actually start running?
- A hot air baloon ride would be cool.. but who offers this?
- Where is the Ukranian Village?
- Canoeing down the NS River from Devon would be nice, but is it recommended to do this in May?
- I've never heard of the Blue Plate Diner but I will have to check it out
- Sidetrack Cafe is a great idea
- Whyte Ave and WEM are two of the normal things I would take every visitor on and this time will be no exception
- I'm not too sure about the artsy type things (Museum, Art Gallery etc.)... I'll have to see if he likes that kind of stuff

Pico - get early reservations - AWESOME PLACE!!!!!
Queen - I think June - try http://www.edmontonqueen.com
Hot Air - Windship Aviation - http://www.windshipaviation.com/A/index.htm
Ukranian Village - http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alberta/museums_historic_sites/site_listings/ukrainian_heritage_village/index.asp 1/2 hour east on Highway 16

TroyD
20-03-2006, 05:03 PM
You cannot forget places such as:

The works in Commerce Place with lunch at Lux or Cafe Holts.

A night at the Fairmont or maybe a Designers Suite at the Union Bank Inn.

How about a night at the old Selkirk Hotel (during summer) at Fort Edmonton.

- Edmonton Symphony
- Yardbird Suite
- Blues on Whyte
- How about the art galleries such as Agnes Bugera, Scott & others on 124St.
- Dinner at The King & I. Good enough for the Rolling Stones, should be good for your friend...lol.

ShermanT
21-03-2006, 02:01 PM

- Edmonton Symphony
- Yardbird Suite
- Blues on Whyte
- Dinner at The King & I. Good enough for the Rolling Stones, should be good for your friend...lol.

These are all great ideas. What is so great about the Union Bank Inn by the way? The idea about the Selkirk Hotel at Fort Edmonton is also pretty interesting. Thanks!

TroyD
22-03-2006, 11:23 AM

- Edmonton Symphony
- Yardbird Suite
- Blues on Whyte

These are all great ideas. What is so great about the Union Bank Inn by the way? The idea about the Selkirk Hotel at Fort Edmonton is also pretty interesting. Thanks!

The Union Bank Inn has some suites which are individually designed by local Interior Designers and some Decorators. Some rooms were inspired by Coco Channel and have a very modern, classic look with neutral beiges, browns and blues as accents.

Check out the rooms: http://www.unionbankinn.com/heritage_rooms.asp

NoreneS
30-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Well, if you are going to canoe all the way to Devon, then you must visit my favorite place to get away, relax and rejuvinate. The Devonian Botanic Garden. They have a butterfly house, the Japanese Garden, and several other surprises! And, while you are there, be sure to stop at the Snack Shack for the ice-cream! Yummy!

http://www.devonian.ualberta.ca/dbg.html

nickieva
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
The Edmonton Queen starts running in May normally..and i would suggest it to anyone! I am sad to admit that i worked there for a couple months a couple years ago and had never even been on the boat (i was away for the staff orientation so i was the only one) but i then received some gift certificates for my birthday - and low and behold i loved it! i now try to book a lunch cruise every couple weeks - between shifts of working there of course.

I might be a bit biased, but it's a great time, even better food and a completely different view of downtown edmonton. I hope everyone wouyld try it out, and love it as much as i do.

Medwards
05-06-2007, 12:50 PM
These ideas are all great - Someone should compile a complete list (include info/urls) from whats all listed in here and make it the first post in a sticky thread in this part of c2e

DebraW
05-06-2007, 12:55 PM
These ideas are all great - Someone should compile a complete list (include info/urls) from whats all listed in here and make it the first post in a sticky thread in this part of c2e

Good idea...any volunteers?