PDA

View Full Version : City hot draw for tourists

DebraW
23-07-2008, 07:32 AM
City hot draw for tourists
--Conference bookings, business travellers help insulate hotels from downturn elsewhere

Emily Senger, With files from Sara Ditta, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 2:03 am jULY 23, 2008

High gas prices, a weak U.S. economy and a strong Canadian dollar should mean a tourism disaster, but hotels and conference centres in Edmonton say businesses is bustling.

As tourism in the rest of the country lags, downtown hotels are reporting the hot economy here means good things for their bottom line.

"The numbers in our hotels are the highest they've ever been, not only on an Edmonton standard, but on a national standard," said Jim Taylor, executive director of the Edmonton Downtown Business Association, which represents more than 2,000 businesses in the downtown core.

Link:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=8397341b-f555-4960-8fc0-04f0ddd4851e

vgcancino
23-07-2008, 09:12 AM
You gotta love this quote "We like it. There are no tall buildings and we can see the blue sky," Zhang said.

Haha, no tall buildings, i guess we better get started on those 60 story towers.

newfangled
23-07-2008, 09:28 AM
^ I drove a chinese exchange student into town from the airport a few years ago. For the whole drive she had her face pressed up to the window and was craning her neck upwards. Why? "The sky is blue."

That kindof freaked me out.

Edmontonfan
23-07-2008, 10:38 AM
We shouldn't be surprised when people notice our blue skies. They really are wonderful and for people from other parts of the country and world it really is special to see this. We just take it for granted.

Ubiquitin
23-07-2008, 04:51 PM
^ The blue skies are one thing.. the sunsets are at an entirely different level of amazing

Edmontonfan
23-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Yesterday evening coming out of downtown, the sky was the most amazing shades of red that I've seen in a long time. Beautiful!

Caesar555
23-07-2008, 07:27 PM
You gotta love this quote "We like it. There are no tall buildings and we can see the blue sky," Zhang said.

Haha, no tall buildings, i guess we better get started on those 60 story towers.

Goes to show tall glass office buildings are not as impressive as some like to think. Dime a dozen, especially in Asia.

MylesC
23-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, the Westin has been running at 100% pretty much every day for the last 6 months...

There are a lot of conferences going on at Shaw. It's pretty amazing to see the diversity of the groups.

DebraW
27-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Graham Hicks Blog
Sunday, July 26, 2008

•Bet you didn't know that Edmonton has something that Vancouver, Calgary and Winnipeg would kill for: Three annual events that have a huge tourism draw, the annual Capital Ex, The Indy (contracted for the next two years, and probably for years after that) and a long contract to host the Canadian Finals Rodeo every November. And Northlands produces all three, thank you very much Northlands.

The other cities have a summer fair as well, but not the other two. OK Calgary combines its fair and rodeo, but there's no racing event like this one!

Which explains largely why Edmonton has more tourists than Calgary.

Link: http://blog.canoe.ca/hicksonsix

The_Cat
27-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I think it's great for Edmonton to have the variety of festivals it has. We have many choices in Edmonton for summer festivals, and Edmonton has built an outstanding reputation for its festivals.

Edmonton has to focus on its strengths, and summer festivals is one of them.

finishstrong
29-07-2008, 04:54 PM
I misread that as "terrorists".

I think I'm reading too much National Post.