PDA

View Full Version : west entrance to the city

grish
13-09-2006, 11:19 PM
granted that gateway and calgary trail are not the picture perfect examples of "welcome to a capital city," but what is up with the west entrance? I am specifically talking about 100 Ave and Stoney plain from about 170 to about 149 streets.
I don't understand the point of having 1.5 blocks of residential area between 100 ave and stoney plain. many of the houses there are boarded up. perhaps this is the opportunity for the city to make some land purchases and establish some cool ROW's to, long term, work on a nicer way to go downtown.
the business area on stoney plain is slowly improving, but that improvement can only be noticed if we were to take pictures every 5 years and then play them back as a movie (if you know what I mean... :? )

RichardS
14-09-2006, 07:37 AM
No kidding. I am tired of the West End getting ignored - everything from 40 years for LRT to whilly nilly street planning and zoning.

We need a gateway park on the west side. Also, SP road needs to be one way west and 100th needs to be one way east. Then, let's focus on the area from 149 to 170th as another unique strip.

highlander
14-09-2006, 07:42 AM
the city does have a plan for an entrance/ info centre, But that roadneeds a lot more work than just that.

Medwards
28-09-2006, 04:14 PM
100 ave was at one point, intended to be both the east bound and west bound route, back when there was a proposal to run a freeway through the ravine that goes from 149 street to government house park, and that freeway would link up with river valley road.
This was before the tree huggers stopped this. Thank god!

RichardS
29-09-2006, 08:38 AM
The MacKinnon Ravine freeway was not stopped by "tree huggers" but by the more wealthy residents that overlook the river and the city in that area.

That death doomed the West End to its infrastructure purgatory that it still sees today. It made 142 and SP road the vexing vehicular venturi it is today. The lack of coming up with another route to the west end is infuriating today. The same goes for the proposal on 87th avenue.

We now have virtually all our eggs out there firmly planted in the wLRT bandwagon as the main saviour of our rapid and efficient downtown and University access. There is no more room to build any more road space on 102, 104 and Jasper avenues. We need that access to DT and the U of A, and the city needs to access that tourist trapping town known as WEM. No half-a$$ed currently planned BRT with queuing lanes here please - we house one of the largest employment nodes in the city and employs people . If that doesn't justify LRT even moreso than a cool and needed condo project at an abandoned mall, I don't know what will.

From the "entrance" such as it is on the Parkland Highway (the old 16) to access to DT, there just seems to be no vision out this way.

DanC
29-09-2006, 04:05 PM
vexing vehicular venturi i

Channeling the great Bill Matheson today are we?

DebraW
29-09-2006, 04:25 PM
No kidding. I am tired of the West End getting ignored - everything from 40 years for LRT to whilly nilly street planning and zoning.

We need a gateway park on the west side. Also, SP road needs to be one way west and 100th needs to be one way east. Then, let's focus on the area from 149 to 170th as another unique strip.

SP is a dog's breakfast as no planning and forethought has happened in relation to it and it shows.

Making one-ways would help some conjestion (sheer volume) problems but not the esthetic aspect.

RichardS
29-09-2006, 06:32 PM
vexing vehicular venturi i

Channeling the great Bill Matheson today are we?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I guess I was...

RichardS
29-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Making one-ways would help some conjestion (sheer volume) problems but not the esthetic aspect.

The city did try to their credit. 100th was one way in and SP Road one way out in one proposal, but the businesses (read pawn shops, sex shops, and the odd appliance store) thought it would kill their business. Yeah right, like Cal Trail/Gateway businesses suffer from one ways.... :roll: Get some backbone city hall.

KC
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
moreover... there's new industrial/commercial development occuring out there that, even though it's a great asset to the city, it will soon be seen as an eyesore - maybe some trees and shrubs?