PDA

View Full Version : Little ideas, big results

IanO
11-09-2006, 12:19 PM
so i got to thinking while walking around the downtown this weekend about what "little things" we could do to make it feel or look more interesting etc.

1. more public art - plain and simple. Edmonton should get a grant going for say 2-3 pieces a year, 1 from students, one citizen, and one professional. Place them in the downtown where appropriate

2. water features - nothing huge, but something interesting like a waterfall or small fountain (dont bring in winter this or that).

3. lighting - not street lighting, but colored or dynamic lighting on buildings or blank walls or in the night sky.

4. Trees and flower beds - yes we have many, but far from enough.

nothing here is overly expensive or difficult to accomplish, but would have some great responses from people.

RichardS
11-09-2006, 12:44 PM
#2 has always been a pet peeve of mine. We need more water features.

grish
11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
we have small reference to the Arts district. How about designate different parts of downtown as, say, The Government District for dt west, Arts District for dt East and Business District for dt Centre. Make the signage for these more visible and structure the little things like decorative light poles and fountains/ art pieces around that. Historical District?

DanC
11-09-2006, 06:56 PM
All extremly good ideas...my pet peeve is architectual lighting, its just so easy to do and always seems to be the last thing on anyones mind.

TerryH
11-09-2006, 09:13 PM
There should be more flower displays along the open green areas around the roadways (bring back the floral advertising!).

That reflective metallic display on that empty lot on Jasper at 100A St. would've looked great if it wasn't on the wrong side of the street. (sorry if it's gone and there's something there now).

Decorative lighting downtown with the business owners picking something for in front of their businesses or buildings.

amanzano
12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
color? Would someone dare use color downtown? DO IT! How hard is it to put up a few pot lamps and illuminate a building upwards. it makes a huge difference!

wesleyc
09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
All extremly good ideas...my pet peeve is architectual lighting, its just so easy to do and always seems to be the last thing on anyones mind.

Talk about lighting! I find it fiendishly clever the way the street signs are placed in front of the lights,so that the light blinds the eye before the sign is seen.I suppose the signs were put up at night to ensure that they were sufficiently obscured.Also the way the street signs are placed so that one sign blocks the view of the other sign.Very clever,these Edmonton city planners! :smt120 Of course to squander millions of dollars on an eye sore Welcome to Edmonton sign one must save a few dollars on essentials? :confused: The make work program,that is used by making drivers put on extra miles finding an address and wearing out pavement is a very clever idea :cool: I admire the equanamity of the oblivious tax payers who watch their tax dollars being blown away frivoulasly :) One can only wonder at the lack of interest in voting for more quality poloticians :(

Barry N
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
This one in Brussels is pretty impressive.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q320/drummer2_2006/ViennaMunichWiesbadenRothenburgC-1.jpg

richardW
09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
NOOB question, but how do you put pics in your post? sorry for off topic.

actually on topic i wanna see more lighting also. I mentioned the idea earlier but nobody really cared but i was thinking maybe different districts could have certain colour schemes, like maybe whyte ave could be blue and white, jasper ave could be red maybe and so on.

DanC
09-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Talk about lighting! I find it fiendishly clever the way the street signs are placed in front of the lights,so that the light blinds the eye before the sign is seen.I suppose the signs were put up at night to ensure that they were sufficiently obscured.Also the way the street signs are placed so that one sign blocks the view of the other sign.Very clever,these Edmonton city planners! :smt120 Of course to squander millions of dollars on an eye sore Welcome to Edmonton sign one must save a few dollars on essentials? :confused: The make work program,that is used by making drivers put on extra miles finding an address and wearing out pavement is a very clever idea :cool: I admire the equanamity of the oblivious tax payers who watch their tax dollars being blown away frivoulasly :) One can only wonder at the lack of interest in voting for more quality poloticians :(
Huh? Did my post really inspire this?

Denizen
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Would love to see some outside lights on buildings; fountains yes and far more flower beds.

FeelGoodLost
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
I really like the public art idea. It works all year round. It doesn't have to be expensive. It could add character to our dry downtown. And there is lots of artistic talent in this city.

Sonic Death Monkey
08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
The lighting on the Muttart is a good first step, hope they keep it year-round. Next should the High Level Bridge.

Vectorwarrior
10-01-2009, 08:35 AM
More sculptures. Sure, some people will hate them, but at least it provokes a reaction. They require little maintainence once installed and can add real character.

I totally agree about the lighting, but lighting a building is seriously expensive.

Change the 'Welcome to Edmonton' signs. They're an embarresment.