PDA

View Full Version : Standardized Parking lot entrances downtown

KC
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Could the city create a tasteful entry format, sign, arch or whatever for all downtown parking lots and garages to make finding lots much easier for tourists etc.

NOTE: I was going to post a reply to the survey here but thought that this best be posted in the ideas section (everyone should visit this link it might prompt some useful ideas):
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=820

I can quickly think of three problems: 1) finding convenient public parking lots, 2) finding vacancies, finding one that accepts appropriate payment (some are coin, some are manned, some allow for credit cards, etc.)

My first thought would be an a simple curbside arch over every lot's entry. Maybe with provision for display of an identifying number (which could be turned into a potential aid for tourists trying to reach a destination via a map), parking rates and a voluntary safety rating. Hey, or maybe just uniquely painted light standards to flag the lot's presence.

Spencer
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
My biggest problem with parking DT is trying to pay for it. Like KC said "finding one that accepts appropriate payment (some are coin, some are manned, some allow for credit cards, etc." This can be very frustruating. All of the parking lots accept different forms of payment. Maybe the city could make a bi-law where parking needs to be able to accept all forms of payment (Debit, Credit and cash). In Vancouver it seemed, last time I was there you could pay by credit card or cash everyhere whether the parking lot was manned or not. It was a lot more convenient and paying a little extra in Vancouver is better than driving to every parking lot trying to find one that takes VISA.

Barry N
06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Great ideas,but they will never work . Why?? Because you guys are making too much common sense :lol:

ChrisD
07-09-2006, 12:47 AM
My biggest problem with parking DT is trying to pay for it. Like KC said "finding one that accepts appropriate payment (some are coin, some are manned, some allow for credit cards, etc." This can be very frustruating. All of the parking lots accept different forms of payment. Maybe the city could make a bi-law where parking needs to be able to accept all forms of payment (Debit, Credit and cash). In Vancouver it seemed, last time I was there you could pay by credit card or cash everyhere whether the parking lot was manned or not. It was a lot more convenient and paying a little extra in Vancouver is better than driving to every parking lot trying to find one that takes VISA.
If I am not mistaken, the majority of the downtown parking lots have new ticket machines that accepts cash, coin and credit. I have not run into this situation. The only lot that are 'ghetto' that I know of are the uber-uber cheap parking north of 105 Avenue.

IanO
07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
all impark lots now should have CC payment...and ive notived minor landscaping on the lots between 100-101ave on 105st.