PDA

View Full Version : C2E takes the Capital City Clean Up Challenge: Downtown

Medwards
06-05-2008, 10:00 PM
OK, I'm hoping we get a few more people out then last time (we were almost out numbered last time by city councilors and the mayor.). This is the best way to show your pride and care for our community.

So, Who wants in? Should we do it at a different time of day, or a different day all together?

What areas should we focus on?

Update:

9 am, Sunday, May 18th

Location to meet: commodore - jasper 107st beside audreys

Areas to 'clean up': To be discussed in this thread (Jasper Ave West + 124st + 109st between the leg and 104ave ???)

Roll Call:
Medwards + Casa
IanO
LindseyT - sundays only
KJ2007
newfangled
NINTman - maybe the next time?
glasshead
RichardS - possible
SDM - tentative 'yes'
Scott Mckeen
others???

LindseyT
06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
if it's sunday i'm in.

KJ2007
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes, I'm in.

newfangled
06-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm in.

If you're thinking next weekend, isn't that the long weekend? I'm thinking that this weekend might be more popular?

NINTman
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
i'd be in, but alas still in Toronto for one more week

Medwards
06-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm in.

If you're thinking next weekend, isn't that the long weekend? I'm thinking that this weekend might be more popular?

That is true - I'm not really up for it this sunday, but if there is enough interest, I will show up...

newfangled
06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
^ then again, this sunday is mother's day. So 6 of 1, half-a-dozen of the other.

Medwards
06-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Lets shoot for the victoria day long weekend sunday....

RichardS
07-05-2008, 05:27 AM
I'll see. I may be out of town.

IanO
07-05-2008, 08:49 AM
im in most of the time, but i usually am committed from 12-5 so lets start at 9am:>

glasshead
07-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I can be in for every other Sunday, but not mother's day :cool:

9-10 am start works for me.

Medwards
07-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, so lets do this:

9 am, Sunday, May 18th

Location to meet: TBD ( 3 bananas wont be open - so I'll go by on Saturday and pick up all our gear

Areas to 'clean up': To be discussed in this thread

I'm going to see if Mr Mckeen wants to come as well.

IanO
07-05-2008, 01:56 PM
^why dont we try 124st or jasper from 109st-124st?

Sonic Death Monkey
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm a tentative 'yes'.

Have we hit Jasper Ave from 108 St to 113 St yet? The common complaints seem to be outside Oil City and the grounds of St. Josephs.

Medwards
07-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm down for whereever

124 st....
or 109st - 124st along jasper ave.... or other suggestions.

Where should we meet?

newfangled
07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Once we get closer to the date I'll scout around for good locations.

But the eastern part of Oliver from 109-116 tends to be more garbagey than the western part out to 124.

IanO
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
^yah...would have guessed...perhaps 109st from leg - 104ave then jasper from 108st-116st?

Medwards
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
To those who have come out on these cleanups before - what equipment would you like to see?

I personally found those dust brooms and pans that were supplied by CCCU pretty craptacular and not very useful. (though - we certainly appreciate the donations of equipment... and dont want to see that go away)

Within reason - what would you like to see provided for us? Do you yourself have any equipment you would like to bring?

Remember: We aren't power washing the streets and sidewalks.... we are mainly after litter -and the occasional cigarette butts.

To me - this is really more of an awareness campaign - to show how a few people can and do really make a difference.

One of the things I said last time - was that if even 25% of the people in this city took 2 hours every other week like we are... there would be nothing to complain about.

IanO
07-05-2008, 04:17 PM
^well said.

Yah maybe some of those slanted bags with picker uppers.

Scott McKeen
07-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Did someone say 9:00 a.m.????
YEESH.
I'll be there. Commodore might be open that early, by the way, if people want toast and coffee to start.

Scott

Medwards
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
So good news folks about our tools of the trade -

I spoke with Don from CCCU today - our supplies (garbage bags, gloves...etc) have been replenished.

Best news of all: We now have 5 industrial-sized brooms!!!! and some other supplies!!! (Don told me these things wont break!!)

We must make sure that we return them - as I was told they were about 100 bucks each!!!

Awesome - we now have better things to make us more efficent.

the commodore sounds good- but where exactly is it?!

IanO
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
^wicked!

commodore - jasper 107st beside audreys. Ill be there at 815am for eggs and coffee.

Sonic Death Monkey
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
To those who have come out on these cleanups before - what equipment would you like to see?
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/product.asp?PG=1244

Medwards
09-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I think Don may have read this thread... I got an email from him yesterday... I'll quote part of it

As discussed yesterday, we are dropping off additional garbage bags, gloves and five "industrial strength" litter pans and mini rakes for your use. I am still trying to secure some garbage pokers - if not I may give you some litter grabbers instead. :cool:

Scott McKeen
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Sadly, The Commodore will be closed Sunday, due to the long weekend.
The pre-work breakfast will have to be moved to another location.
Denny's might be the only choice.
Yeesh.

Scott

P.S. Who's inviting Tim Melton?

Medwards
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Dennys? Got to be somewhere else?!?

Tim ? I think you just did...

Sonic Death Monkey
11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
At Jasper and 109 St there's Rickey's and Starbucks.

Medwards
11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Ricky's all day grill sounds like a good place to start - 109st/Jasper Ave it is.

Blueline
12-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Nominations corner:
Dirtiest Strip Downtown:

Consistency award (Platinum)
Capital Centre 109 Street south to Jasper and around the corner by the ex-Professional building continuing east along the Oil City bar (or is that the oil city cattle chute?)

newfangled
13-05-2008, 08:56 AM
So after the long walk to work this morning, I've decided that things really aren't that bad anymore.

There are certainly problem areas - I'm pretty sure that the BPs on 106 has not cleaned their area once this year, neither has Procura and their Professional Building hoarding, and there are a few other spots that are perpetually bad.

Generally though, things are a lot better than used to be. The cigarette butts and garbage on the sidewalk are minimal, almost all the giant sand dunes are gone, pressurewashers have been out in a lot of places, and people are regularly sweeping up in the mornings.

But there is still one huge problem. The gutters are full of crap - cigarette butts, sand, poplar fuzz, styrofoam bits, coffee cups, etc. It's especially bad on Jasper with all the pull-ins for metered parking. It collects in those curves, and in many places it is several inches deep.

So if the downtown still looks dirty (which it does) then at this point it is 99% the fault of the City of Edmonton.

So how about it, COE? What is the plan exactly? Waiting for that 1-in-500 year June snowfall before vigilantly springing into action? It's mid-May, and I'd really like to hear the excuses.

If we expect people and businesses to show pride in this city, it would be a lot easier if the COE showed some leadership, rather than showing up after everyone else has already gone home.

Medwards
13-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Wow, and here I thought the city WAS out in full force. I don't think I've seen so many street cleaners out all at once in a long time. In and out of downtown....

No one entity or person or civic body is responsible, and it still takes an effort from us all. I see the city making the effort, but these little strip malls and what not? Nothing. Business and a like are really not doing what they should in their community (notable exceptions of course).

Lets forget the finger pointing and blame game - lets just get out there (everyone) and do something about it. Its the only way its going to go away.

(also, if I see you littering, I'm going to kick your asses)

newfangled
13-05-2008, 11:12 AM
^ Seriously, the gutters haven't improved since you started these cleanups back in march.

Streetcleaners may be out, but they're not on Jasper, or if they are then they're not doing anything. Jasper still looks like @#$% and that's a problem. And at this point the City is the one dropping the ball.

Medwards
13-05-2008, 11:29 AM
^ Seriously, the gutters haven't improved since you started these cleanups back in march.

Streetcleaners may be out, but they're not on Jasper, or if they are then they're not doing anything. Jasper still looks like @#$% and that's a problem. And at this point the City is the one dropping the ball.

It would be nice if the city could publish its tentative schedule for these street cleanings.

In my mind - the problem isn't the spring cleanup - is the fact that we ONLY do a spring clean up. Something needs to be done monthly. By Everyone.

Spring is not the only time to clean up the city. Every day of the year please.

glasshead
13-05-2008, 09:25 PM
On my way to work yesterday morning, I stopped for a quick coffee at the starbucks beneath the Omega - I was peering outside the window, when I saw a chap walking up north on 105 st picking up garbage on his walk. In fact, he walked up a ways, picked up some trash, then walked back to the garbage receptacle. I wanted to shout out a thank you, but he was too far to hear me by the time I got out of the place. Big thumbs up.

IanO
14-05-2008, 10:16 AM

bingo.

Jasper should be the cities #1 Priority IMO......if we want people to change their opinions on the downtown, keeping it clean is step 1.

newfangled
14-05-2008, 10:34 AM
^ You've got C2E volunteer cleaning up. Capital City Cleanup volunteers cleaning up. Business owners cleaning up.

And Jasper Avenue still looks like crap because of the COE. No one else is going to start cleaning tonnes of dirt of off the streets, and no one else should have to. In april, maybe (maybe) there were some valid justifications for holding off. But now we're into the realm of lame excuses.

IanO
14-05-2008, 10:40 AM
its middle may....absolutely ridiculous.

Sonic Death Monkey
14-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I have seen street cleaners washing the curbs along Jasper Ave, but they go around all the parked cars. Why they didn't temporarily ban parking during street cleaning (as they do elsewhere in the city) is beyond me.

newfangled
14-05-2008, 12:41 PM
^ exactly. But they don't get points just for showing up. And no one else is going clean the streets when the city does a bad job of it.

Beyond that though, the gutters along Jasper in Oliver are also terrible. They're buslanes, there's minimal parking, and there are none of those annoying curvy curbs like downtown - there's no reason that they should be filthy, but they still are. Whenever a bus drives down the curb lane it kicks up a huge dustcloud behind it. Do I have to start threatening the city with madeup respiratory disease lawsuits? Is that what it would take to get them in gear? I wonder.

IanO
14-05-2008, 12:50 PM
but i dont think we should clean up too much, i mean we need to get our sanders ready for oct.

:<

Barry N
14-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Maybe, as well as using the Report A Pothole website, we should report major arteries that haven't been swept,on the same site.

MylesC
17-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I have seen street cleaners washing the curbs along Jasper Ave, but they go around all the parked cars. Why they didn't temporarily ban parking during street cleaning (as they do elsewhere in the city) is beyond me.

Exactly. What ever happened to putting up signs, towing people that don't move, etc, etc and all that other crap that is done in residential areas?

I can get out and about tomorrow morning.

IanO
17-05-2008, 12:23 PM
sorry guys......cant make tomo....called in to assist mom.

Medwards
17-05-2008, 02:39 PM
So I picked up the supplies that were given to us today by CCCU, and I think we shall definitely be more productive.

Who's still on from breakfast tomorrow at rickys all day grill?

Sonic Death Monkey
17-05-2008, 05:29 PM
What time tomorrow? If I don't make it down for breako at Rickys, I can try to meet up with y'alls somewhere on Jasper Ave.

newfangled
17-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I'll be there, but will probably skip breakfast. I'll probably wander over for around 9:30?

Medwards
17-05-2008, 05:38 PM
sure - see you around 930 then

Medwards
18-05-2008, 10:45 AM
so I didnt see anyone go into Rickys, and it was raining pretty hard. I got there about 850, checked the place out, no one familiar there...

I waited in my car till about 945..

I guess we are rained out... some other day then.

Sonic Death Monkey
18-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I drove up and down Jasper Ave to look for you guys but didn't see anyone. Hopefully this rain will help wash down some of those gutters.

MylesC
18-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I think I was there around 10 - went into Ricky's and saw two people. We coffeed and talked about the city overall, heh.

KJ2007
18-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Picked up 3/4 of a green garbage bag on the north corners of 109 and Jasper Avenue and swept out the covered construction walkway between 108 and 109 Streets. Unfortunately, the outer part of the walkway was too wet to sweep, so it's still a bit of a mess. The gutter/road is a mess. What happens to our sewer system when all this crap flows into it during a rain????

Today's finds - a used condom, empty cans of food, broken beer bottles, orange peels, the standard 10,000 butts and about 100 small adverts for nightclubs/drinks. Today's pluses - 4 people thanked me as they walked by, and an older gentlemen stopped to talk about the environment with me for about 10 minutes.

We should likely have some kind of rule that says - cancelled if raining, or whatever. Do we try again tomorrow?

raz0469
18-05-2008, 01:24 PM
What happens to our sewer system when all this crap flows into it during a rain????

Most of downtown has combined sanitary/storm sewers (hence the stink along 100th ave from 118th to 109 that's prevalent when we go long periods without rain), so it's all treated before going in to the river. At least that's my understanding.

Medwards
18-05-2008, 03:36 PM
We should likely have some kind of rule that says - cancelled if raining, or whatever. Do we try again tomorrow?

If you want to rally the troops and set something up - I could try to attend - I still have all the supplies in my trunk as Three bananas was still closed when I left downtown

IanO
26-05-2008, 02:00 PM
when is the next one?

Finally was able to pick up my "Capital City Clean Up" kit today and am happy to see how well stocked it is.

-Rubber gloves x 5 pair
-garden gloves for me
-3' picker upper
-tim hortons mug with $5 in coupons
-Nice quality T-Shirt
-small and large bags

I am looking after 104st-106st from 99ave-100ave.

MylesC
27-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Rice Howard definitely could use some love. Can we clean up all the Subway garbage and then dump it inside their store?

Medwards
27-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Hey all - I don't think I'll be re-organizing one of these for a little while, but if anyone wants to take over, I can help you get coordinated with Don from CCCU. I may or may not be able to show up as well.

IanO
27-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I dont mind taking over if there is enough support out there to get a group together.

RichardS
27-05-2008, 03:17 PM
. Can we clean up all the Subway garbage and then dump it inside their store?:D

DebraW
09-09-2008, 05:06 PM
ALL those who were involved with the C2E Clean up Crew stand up and take a well-deserved bow.

Good efforts and thank you!

News Release

Volunteers sweep City Councillors off their feet

2008 Capital City Clean Up (CCCU) volunteers received accolades from City Council at a special recognition event today in Churchill Square.

"Residential Block Captains and graffiti volunteers who have made the effort to keep their neighbourhood blocks clean deserve our thanks," says Deputy Mayor Don Iveson. "Not only are they showing their pride in Edmonton by keeping our city clean, they are setting a positive example for others to follow."

2008 proved to be another record-breaking year for the program with an impressive 796 residential block captains leading Capital City Clean Up crews throughout the city. There was also an additional 15 community wipeout events directed at removing graffiti involving over 400 volunteers.
"This year, the Residential Adopt-A-Block Program has grown an astounding 24 per cent," says Don Belanger, Program Manager for Capital City Clean Up. "When you combine this with the work of our graffiti removal volunteers, itís important to celebrate these milestones and the Edmontonians who have shared the responsibility by either putting litter in its place or wiping out graffiti."

2008 marks the third successful year of the city-wide program and the first for its newly launched Graffiti Management Program (GMP) ó a program aimed at eradicating graffiti from the City with the help of businesses, residents and property owners.

Edmontonians are reminded that keeping our city litter-free year-round is easy. Its as simple as carrying your litter to the nearest receptacle or using a car litter bag, taking a few extra seconds to pick up litter you find and put it in a garbage can, and most importantly, simply setting a good example for others to follow.

2009 Adopt-A-Block registration will commence mid February 2009. For more information on the litter and graffiti program, please visit:
www.edmonton.ca/capitalcitycleanup (http://www.edmonton.ca/capitalcitycleanup)

Both Capital City Clean Up and the Graffiti Management Program support EcoVision Edmonton, Cityís vision for an environmentally sustainable city.

- 30 -

For additional information, contact:

Don Belanger
Program Manager
Capital City Clean Up
780-496-5412

Medwards
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
ALL those who were involved with the Clean up Crew around the city stand up and take a well-deserved bow.fixed.

And remember, a city needs to be clean all year around. Just cause the fall is approaching and winter is near, is no reason to stop keeping this city clean.

All year round.

The_Cat
09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I will say one thing, the streets and alleys look a little cleaner, and I'm seeing less garbage on the streets. I'm also seeing less graffiti on my downtown walks (I even saw some graffiti being removed), so downtown has taken a few steps forward this year.

Blueline
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
The award winning thorn(s) in the side of the clean up efforts downtown continue to be:
capital centre - liquid lounge on 109 street; yet more garbage and welcoming us all this week, two boulevard trees snapped off
shoppers on 114 street; all waste is now being swept into the gutter