PDA

View Full Version : Rentals -- how much harder could it get??

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Is there NO WHERE to live with 2 dogs in Edmonton??!! HELP!! We're supposed to leave on the 30th.. we've got no where to go! Is there anywhere to stay really cheap until you find a place??

RichardS
08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I assume you are talking rental accomodations? Edmonton itself is very dog friendly, so I am sure that if you are buying that there is an offleash nearby.

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, we are looking to rent. Because we are renting right now we can't qualify for a mortgage unless we've been working a minimum of 3 months.. so we have to rent in Edmonton for a while before we can buy.. but we're having an impossible time trying to find a place to rent! Everyone is saying NO to dogs :(

MylesC
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
This is also a very difficult time to find rental accomodations because of the school year starting in September. There will be a *lot* of students searching for apartments.

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
:o aaahhh!!! I'm so frustrated, lol.. our original plan was to move to Fort St John in B.C., y'know where I don't have to change my medical and my drivers lisence -- eaassierr! --- buttt Grahames friend "invited" him to move to Edmonton.. even though he doesn't have a place to stay there either and they bumped up our moving time by a month!
Now we can't get ahold of this kid to sort out our plans and Grahame has to put in his 2 weeks notice at work by Friday.. and there is NO WAY I'm gonna until I know what's going on...:!:
So now I have to run around and find us a place to stay and I think my head is gonna blow up :P

DebraW
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, we are looking to rent. Because we are renting right now we can't qualify for a mortgage unless we've been working a minimum of 3 months.. so we have to rent in Edmonton for a while before we can buy.. but we're having an impossible time trying to find a place to rent! Everyone is saying NO to dogs :(

Rental in Edmonton is hard to impossible at the moment w/out throwing dogs into the mix.

But don't give up--I know there are places that allow pets (pending approval). Problem is that some specify "small, quiet" pets. I know from your messages that yours are probably quiet (and well behaved!). I am sure that the biggest factor is that they are large dogs. (Which IMO is the only kind of dog to have, the little ones can be yappy and annoying more than any of my big brutes.)

Town homes are probably your best bet and I KNOW that Mainstreet Equity allows dogs in their town homes as I have a friend that has a Golden who lives in one. I also know that availability (as you are finding out is that room for September is scarce.)

Mainstreet is new in Edmonton (but not elsewhere) and has been acquiring so many properties so fast that they literally cannot keep up with rentals and things change on a moments notice. Some of their properties have been called “Baby Boardwalks” as they have been buying up former Boardwalk properties. I have put some calls out to people I know in the rental biz and am keeping an eye and ear out as well—it will happen.

Don't give up Edmonton needs more dog people!
:)

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
OMG!! I just got 2 replies!! :D They BOTH said YES to dogs!! 1 is $900 a month and 114-28St-71Ave (??) and the other is $1800/month and 10811 38Ave..

So now I gotta run it through the man :p

:!: :!: Eep I am SO going to get lost in Edmonton.. lol.. wish me luck!!

DanC
08-08-2006, 02:32 PM
That first one on 114 st and 71 ave is a very nice location in the City. Very close to the University and Whyte Ave, it also has good connections to the South and into Downtown.

DebraW
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
OMG!! I just got 2 replies!! :D They BOTH said YES to dogs!! 1 is $900 a month and 114-28St-71Ave (??) and the other is $1800/month and 10811 38Ave..

So now I gotta run it through the man :p

:!: :!: Eep I am SO going to get lost in Edmonton.. lol.. wish me luck!!

YEAH!

Getting around most of Edmonton is pretty easy, we work on a grid system. East and West are the Avenues and North and South are the Streets and numbers get larger or smaller depending on which way you travel.

IMO the 10811 38 AVE is a great area (Duggan if I am not mistaken) very established and close to major roads (esp. the highway out to Nisku). It is more expensive however...

114-28St-71 Ave would be Millwoods. (Which is huge so I am not sure what neighbourhood!)

Either are in pretty good areas, so yeah!

Hope it all works out!

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 03:11 PM
:?: :?: weird favour?? is there anyone that lives close to the 114-28St-71Ave one that could look at it for me? there aren't any photos and I dont want to send the guy our deposit from BC and then show up and its a dump.. but maybe it won't be if its in a good area?!

DebraW
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I will--I just want to verify. Suite 114 on 28 ST/- 71 AVE or 11428 71 AVE? (It makes a difference!)

westcoastgirl
08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
There were two posts for the same address.. I'm not sure (lol, our house numbers here are 4 numbers, then a name.. like I said, I WILL get lost, lol)

http://www.rentingspaces.ca/search.htm?moreinfo=12965
11428-71ave

http://www.rentingspaces.ca/search.htm?moreinfo=6354
114 28St -71 Ave

Thank you so much!! If this trip is a sucess and we make it to Ed I'm buying you dinner!! :D

DebraW
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
The address is the 11428 71 AVENUE! (My clue was that the ads say that it is in the University Area and so I know that makes it 71 Ave and 114 Street.)

I will be in that area this evening and will try to snap some pics and get an overall impression for you. I love this area as it is so close to walking trails and the river. It is an older area so lots of trees etc. (Our subway system called LRT is expanding really close to this area, traffic is a pain at the moment but will be great once completed.) 114 Street is a major roadway (although under construction at the moment) and it is easy to go south (towards Nisku) or downtown from here.

I will PM you when I get home this evening with my info.

ChrisD
08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Welcome westcoastgirl and I hope you have a safe and easy move from BC.

The 11428 - 71 Avenue area is fantastic. Close to the North Saskatchewan River Valley full of walking and bike trails. Whyte Ave and the University is a stones throw away.

Actually, I just did a Google search and it looks like your house will face the construction of the future south LRT. In fact, your front lawn will overlook the site. If you are willing to put up with the noise and dirt for the interim, it's a good spot.

DebraW
08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Welcome westcoastgirl and I hope you have a safe and easy move from BC.

The 11428 - 71 Avenue area is fantastic. Close to the North Saskatchewan River Valley full of walking and bike trails. Whyte Ave and the University is a stones throw away.

Actually, I just did a Google search and it looks like your house will face the construction of the future south LRT. In fact, your front lawn will overlook the site. If you are willing to put up with the noise and dirt for the interim, it's a good spot.

ChrisD is correct, the front lawn faces the construction site--a HUGE hole to be exact.

Getting into the neighbourhood is a MAJOR hassle, with many, many roads closed, no turns and back alleys that are crumbling due to the increased traffic. The surrounding area is wonderful though with bike and walking trails etc.

I will PM you the pictures I took.

LindseyT
08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
/\ Although the commute will be in the opposite direction as traffic

RichardS
13-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Just a short mod note...

be VERY careful when posting addresses, phone numbers, and the like. Once published, they are public domain. ;)

westcoastgirl
13-08-2006, 02:50 PM
ok.. thanks fer the tip :D ... i'm not too too worried cuz of the 2 German Shepherds :wink: we're putting them through attack training soon.. i'm niiiice and safe. But I won't post addy's anymore. :)

RichardS
13-08-2006, 11:32 PM
...what happened here is OK, it is a set of addresses that are potential addresses. When you sign, or get serious, private messages are better.

PS - I LOVE THAT BREED OF DOG!!