PDA

View Full Version : Smart phones

Denizen
28-02-2008, 07:04 PM
The time is fast approaching that I want to upgrade my cell phone and I'm considering getting either a Blackberry 8830 or Palm Treo 755p. Both of these phones are shown in the Telus Mobility website. I would appreciate your input if you have any of these phones or what you opinions are. I of course want to e-mail and use wordprocessing.

Thank you.

kcantor
28-02-2008, 07:28 PM
The time is fast approaching that I want to upgrade my cell phone and I'm considering getting either a Blackberry 8830 or Palm Treo 755p. Both of these phones are shown in the Telus Mobility website. I would appreciate your input if you have any of these phones or what you opinions are. I of course want to e-mail and use wordprocessing.

Thank you.
can't comment on the 8830 but have recently moved from a treo 650 to the 8310 and am quite happy with it although still not over the learning curve. the treo was well used after 3 years and starting to drop calls and lose reception quite regularly (was not a problem when new). the 8830 is on the same network and used in the same locations with no issues. miss some of the palm interfacing and anticipate that will lessen with time and familiarity. don't miss the treo's size and weight.

Denizen
28-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Thank you.
can't comment on the 8830 but have recently moved from a treo 650 to the 8310 and am quite happy with it although still not over the learning curve. the treo was well used after 3 years and starting to drop calls and lose reception quite regularly (was not a problem when new). the 8830 is on the same network and used in the same locations with no issues. miss some of the palm interfacing and anticipate that will lessen with time and familiarity. don't miss the treo's size and weight.

Thanks for the reply kcantor. You provide some new insight from websites I have reviewed. Can I ask why you moved from the Palm to Blackberry? Clearly Palm users like some features you mentioned that were easily accessed compared to the more complex BB.

Casa
28-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Can't say I have ever had a Palm. but I have an older model blackberry and would never go back to a regular phone now. The sync'ing capability to my outlook is probably one of the best things for me.

kona
29-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Like the 8800 series BB, I would switch to Rogers instead of Telus, particularly if you do any travelling.

One neat feature is the built in GPS, download the google maps mobile, seems more up to date than the program that ships with the BB, however, Henday still needs updating

ShermanT
29-02-2008, 12:14 PM
If you are tied to telus I don't really have any suggestions, but if you are open to moving to a either Rogers or FIDO, I would recommend an unlocked phone. Specifically I would recommend this one:

http://www.omegacell.com/Phones/HTC/Unlocked+AT%252526T+Tilt.html

It's an awesome phone that (imho) will do everything you could ever ask of it. I've had my eye on it for a while even though it has a $650 price tag, but it is basically a mini-computer in your pocket that can let you do some actual work.

Of course this thing might be totally out of your price range but I thought I'd throw it out there ;)

lux
29-02-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm waiting for iPhone.
I'm actually one of the few people remaining on the planet without a cell at all - people know how to reach me at home or at work and that is usually enough to make plans.
But Apple has managed to tempt me.

It's hard to wait though...might be better to just get a plain cell phone and an iPod touch...

ShermanT
29-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm waiting for iPhone.
I'm actually one of the few people remaining on the planet without a cell at all - people know how to reach me at home or at work and that is usually enough to make plans.
But Apple has managed to tempt me.

It's hard to wait though...might be better to just get a plain cell phone and an iPod touch...

Yea... as long as there isn't a reasonable data plan from any of the carriers, an iPhone just doesn't seem as appealing. I am a mac user myself and everything would work better with an iPhone, but it's just not there yet.

The Touch does very well from what I hear.

noodle
29-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Yea... as long as there isn't a reasonable data plan from any of the carriers, an iPhone just doesn't seem as appealing. I am a mac user myself and everything would work better with an iPhone, but it's just not there yet.

The Touch does very well from what I hear.

I'm currently sporting an iPod Touch and a tiny imported phone. Since the jailbreak on my iPod (allowing the installation of 3rd party apps) I've got most of the functionality of an iPhone in a smaller combined volume. I do wish the iPod Touch supported bluetooth audio so I could use my stereo headset with both, but it's doable as is.

Given Rogers stance that cheap data is not in the best interest of Canadian consumers and the issues regarding the iPhone trademark in Canada, I'm not holding my breath. I'm waiting for the 2nd generation hardware (hopefully with North American 3G radios) before I contemplate importing one.

Denizen
29-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Can't say I have ever had a Palm. but I have an older model blackberry and would never go back to a regular phone now. The sync'ing capability to my outlook is probably one of the best things for me.
So you can use Outlook on your Bb! That's great, I prefer Outlook to any other e-mail system.

Denizen
29-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Like the 8800 series BB, I would switch to Rogers instead of Telus, particularly if you do any travelling.

One neat feature is the built in GPS, download the google maps mobile, seems more up to date than the program that ships with the BB, however, Henday still needs updating

Kona, I never thought of that, changing to Rogers. Do you recommend them?

kona
29-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Yes I do reccomend Rogers over Telus. Roger uses a different network (GSM) that is more compataible around the world than the one with Telus. SO the Rogers phones are true World phones. (There may be someone out there can explain the technical reasons better)

Technology aside I find the customer service from Rogers better than Telus (I did not say it was great but better than Telus). I am no longer a Telus customer for any of their services and have never been happier. Unofrtunatley I am not supporting a local company, oops former local company they are now in BC.

raz0469
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Go with Bell/Rogers, for sure. Telus is CDMA, which means that your phone is useless outside of North America for all intents and purposes, unless you buy a "World Edition" 8830, which essentially means it has a chip on it that will also do GSM. And really, Telus is a pretty poor company to deal with overall.

I just purchased a Pearl through Telus, I'm kind of stuck with Telus since my company has a huge number of Mike's, and so far I really like it. Not so happy to discover that the latest Desktop Manager software doesn't sync with Outlook 2000, however. Make sure you've got a fairly recent edition of it if you want syncing ability. I guess I'll have to keep my Palm LifeDrive for a few more months until I can get my office on the newest version of Office, ah well. It really is nice having something to keep my schedule and contacts sync'd between my office and home computers, I was just hoping to replace my LifeDrive and old cellphone with the Pearl.

So you can use Outlook on your Bb! That's great, I prefer Outlook to any other e-mail system.

No, that's not how it works. If you're a single person user, then all you do is login to your Blackberry account and provide it with your email address and password. All emails sent to you address will also be sent to your BB, and you can set it up so that any email sent from your BB will be copied to your address. But you don't actually use Outlook on the BB. You hook up your BB with a USB cable to your computer, and it will sync contacts and appointments (and whatever else you set it up for) with Outlook.

If you're with a large company, they probably have a Blackberry Exchange Server, which will automatically sync all of your emails, contacts, appointments etc with your work Outlook account. I don't know the details of it, but it sounds pretty sweet.

Beware if you have a smartassed friend who inputs "suck my own **** @ 9am" as an appointment in your BB when your calendar is linked and visible to everyone in your office. Cough.

Casa
08-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Yes, sorry didn't mean to cause confusion. I input into both calendar's and sync with the usb...the Enterprise is another great tool - but you have to make sure it is set up correctly for discrepancies - IE when you move emails on your desktop to a .pst or archive, that the desktop wins and takes that email off your BB...

raz0469
08-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, the Enterprise stuff seems really awesome for keeping your email sync'd between your BB and desktop, but also quite complicated. I'm happy just having my Blackberry CC all outgoing emails back to my account, at least that way I have a record of them. When I first set up my brother's I was shocked how easy it was. I thought I was going to have to set up mail servers, forwarding, CCing, all that stuff. Instead, you just input your email address and password, and bam it's done.

And I misspoke above. Bell is also CDMA. Rogers is the only GSM carrier in Canada, along with Fido I think (which they own). There was a good article on CBC.CA about this, that CDMA is essentially a dieing network. Nokia for example has stopped making CDMA phones altogether.

Here it is: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/03/07/tech-telus-fido.html

That talk about the Olympics and Bell being the "official" cell phone provider is kind of hilarious IMO. Rogers will be getting all the roaming charges from foreign people with their cells, since they'll all be GSM.