PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Apartment

Sharp
14-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I have been lurking on this board for a few days and would like to ask for your help.
I was just offered a job in Edmonton and need to know where to look for a place to stay. The job is right in downtown. I am single and need a nice one bedroom apartment in a pretty safe area.
I do not have a car yet and would like it to be within a public transit area.
Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

snakes on a blog
15-02-2008, 11:16 AM
the Oliver neighbourhood would be your best bet. I live there and you can easily access bus routes along 104 ave and Jasper ave any time to downtown. Or if you like to walk it's only 10 to 25 minutes by foot. Lots of shopping, restaurants and services in the area. lots of walk up and tower apartments and condos. I've had no issues with safety.

If you're looking on a map Oliver is situated between 124 street to the west to 109 street to the east between the river valley to the south and 104 ave to the north.

you may also be able to find an apartment to rent right downtown too, though most residences are condos.

Blueline
15-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I found this on Google with the search "Oliver, Edmonton" website Found Locally" (thanks)
May be a place to start
http://www.foundlocally.com/Edmonton/Home/Neigh-Oliver.htm\
Lots on google to see.
Great district!

IanO
15-02-2008, 01:59 PM
dont know the building names, but 104st from 99ave to 100ave has 3-4 decent apartment rentals which is a great local to live for it is safe, near all amenities, and 2-5 blocks from anything downtown.

i live a block west of it and if i were needing to rent, i would rent there.

best of luck

Sharp
15-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks to all for these helpful responses. It's hard for me to know where these streets and avenues are. :lol: :lol:

lux
15-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes the longtime Edmontonians are really attached to their numbers.

I, on the other hand, know I'm in a good city if that is one of the few things I have to complain about.

So, a long time ago, the good people of Edmonton imagined the biggest possible city they could possibly imagine, and it was no more than 100 blocks to the east of downtown, and no more than 100 blocks to the south of downtown.

So they put Edmonton on a grid, with the whole grid starting waaaaay out in the southeast corner. Downtown is in the middle of the grid at 100 Street and 100 Ave. Just for fun, those two roads never actually touch, but you get the idea.

Also, Edmonton has of course grown beyond the original 100 block allowance...so what is in reality the extreme southeast corner of the city is now called the centre of the grid, which like any grid, has 4 quadrants. Waaaaay out there, you will find "Southeast" Edmonton, "Southwest" Edmonton, and "Northeast" Edmonton. Most addresses, are of course, officially in Northwest Edmonton.

So when people talk about living on the southside, or south of the river, or in the west end, they are all officially "Northwest." Also, tiny little bits of roadway will be named as though they were on this giant grid. Something that in any other city would be called "Ash Crescent" will be called 19C Street, 84 Avenue, and then maybe 20 Street as the road winds its way back to the main drive. Good luck!

The numbering system won't really help make it easier, but hopefully you can work it out on Google with a bit of the background.

Hopefully, as more of us move here from other places, we will be able to infiltrate from the inside and remap all of Edmonton. People who grew up here really seem to like it, but there's no accounting for taste.

noodle
15-02-2008, 07:49 PM
given the current trend towards non-rectilinear street layouts for new residential areas, no one simple solution will do. Edmonton is fairly simple once you are given a few simple rules.

1) The original centre of town and main intersection was the corner of 101 ST and 101 AVE. This is Downtown.

2) Streets run N-S and measure distance E-W. Avenues are the inverse.

3) After the most recent land annexation by the City, (which happened to include land the City did not want, but was given, and not the land they wanted) some newly annexed land was now outside of the original imagined footprint of the City. The City has sprawled past where 1 Ave would be. These addresses are denoted as SW not NW, like 90% of addresses.