PDA

View Full Version : Bulk food stores in Edmonton?

ksp
11-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for a bulk food store in Edmonton where I can choose how much I want to purchase and pay by weight (baking supplies, pasta, spices, etc) - Like the small bulk section in Save on Foods, only bigger. Ideally the store would be on the South side. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ThomasH
11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
You can buy bulk items at The Great Canadian Wholesale and Costco.

dwells
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
You can buy bulk items at The Great Canadian Wholesale and Costco.I don't think that's the same. These stores allow one to buy large quantities IE in bulk. What ksp is looking for is a store where the loose product is taken from a bin, bagged, tagged, and paid by weight.

Blueline
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
These stores give me the willies as I see people and kids mucking about in the bins....
Yug!

meeper
12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think there are any stores in Edmonton that sell only from bulk bins. Superstore and Save-on-Foods probably have the largest bulk bin sections.

Tiran
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I realize this response is a bit late, but maybe it will still be helpful. I don't know how far south you want, but there is a Nutter's Bulk and Natural foods in Leduc, 4720 51st Avenue. www.nutters.ca (http://www.nutters.ca)
It is an Alberta company, based out of Medicine Hat and we shopped there all the time when I was growing up (in Medicine Hat). Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

danimalrex
03-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Dredging up an old thread rather than starting a new one...

Bulk Barn (http://www.bulkbarnfoods.com/) is set to open up soon in South Edmonton Common. They are currently renovating the old dollar store located directly south (across the street) from the Superstore liquor store.

etownboarder
25-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Keep it full, clean and friendly
Bulk Barn boasts 4,000 items at first Edmonton store
BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNALNOVEMBER 25, 2009 8:11 AM

Edmonton's first Bulk Barn opens today, but first things first.

Its advertising and logo might resemble the familiar black, yellow and red look of Loblaw's no name products, but Bulk Barn Foods Ltd. is a different company--a family-owned business founded in 1982 by Carl V. Ofield.

The company, which calls itself Canada's largest bulk-food retailer, began with three corporate stores, turned to franchising and now boasts 127 shops across Canada, mostly in Ontario and Eastern Canada.

"We've got 4,000 items," said Chris Courts, a Bulk Barn training supervisor at the Edmonton location.

Bulk Barn is similar to the bulk-food departments of box stores, but "10 times nicer" with bins of candy and chocolate, baking ingredients, pasta, rice nuts coffee, vitamins and protein powders and pet foods.

"Our store motto is 'keep it full, keep it clean and keep it friendly,'" Courts said.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/todays-paper/Keep+full+clean+friendly/2263186/story.html

edmontonenthusiast
25-11-2009, 12:58 PM
^Good lord another SEC monstrocity! This would be nice to have just south of Whyte on Gateway or Calgary Trail, but north of 79th. Also East Whyte. Even Oliver Square would have been better, even though many don't like it, at least it's a better, central location.

Gord Lacey
10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I stumbled upon Bulk Barn yesterday and went in to check it out. Man, they have a lot of stuff in there. Not sure about the prices, as I couldn't recall what I normally pay at Save-On, but their selection is top-notch. I'll definitely be hitting them up again when I need a few things for baking (buying a large amount of something you just need a bit of really sucks).

Hopefully the store does well and we see some other locations open.

Gord

danimalrex
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
^We talked to one of the corporate employees that was there helping out one the first few days that they were open and she said that this store is to test the market further (they have been in Lethbridge for a little while now). If it does well, we can definately expect more.

nobleea
11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
they're advertising and logo make me think they're owned by loblaws/superstore/weston. though apparently, they're not.

Gord Lacey
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I brought that up when I was in there and they were quick to say that "just because we have similar colors, font and a maple leaf, doesn't mean we're owned by them - we're not." Everyone I've spoken to about the place thinks it's a spinoff from Superstore... but they're not.

Gord

etownboarder
11-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Superstore sells decent bulk items at low prices. They better deliver if they're trying to rip off their decor.

Notice the Superstore on Calgary Trail? Interesting colour choice.