PDA

View Full Version : Mandel makes no promises for third term

TJ
22-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Sat, December 22, 2007
Mandel makes no promises for third term

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2007/12/22/4737579.html

By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel speaks with the Edmonton Sun during his year end availability at his office in City Hall downtown on Friday afternoon. (Jordan Verlage/Special to the SUN)
Three more years? Maybe.

Mayor Stephen Mandel won’t say whether he’ll run again in 2010, the next time Edmontonians head to the polls in a municipal election.

“I think it’s a bit early to decide that,” Mandel told Sun Media in a wide-ranging year-end interview.

“We’ve got a tremendous agenda for the next two years and 10 months, and we’ll make a decision towards the end of that time, whether or not there’ll be a third or fourth or fifth or sixth term.

(Mod edit - only the first 150 words from the article allowed on the forum)

- Thomas H

JayBee
23-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I think I have to agree that it's way too early to ask that question. This has to be just the Sun's way of "keeping Koziak in Kommunity Konsciousness."

Anyway, aside from the trolley issue (which is of course a major exception for me), I have no known qualms with Mandel anyway. His not running might be what the Koziak Kamp is looking for, but unfortunately for them (and possibly for the trolleys as well), I think if there is an heir apparent today, it's Kim Krushel.

gringo
25-12-2007, 06:33 AM
what ever happened to Mandels pledge to end homeless in 10 years? obviously he cannot do this if he is only around for half that time.

this man could fill 100 heavy haulers with the crap he spewes from his mouth around election time.

MylesC
25-12-2007, 09:43 AM
He can implement the strategy to get rid of homelessness without necessarily being mayor for that 10 years.

Let's watch blanket statements without thinking things through a bit, shall we?

dwells
25-12-2007, 10:37 AM
this man could fill 100 heavy haulers with the crap he spewes from his mouth around election time.I am no great fan of the mayor's ideas, but even I think this is an unwarranted exaggeration - unless you can substantiate and list the points that offend you.

grish
25-12-2007, 12:06 PM
an attempt to throw mud to see if it sticks. thanks for coming out. i suggest you reread the things mandel has said regarding the homelessness problem before posting anything else on the subject. i am not going to do that for you. there is no debate or discussion until there is something to discuss.

Dusty Bear
27-12-2007, 06:51 PM
what ever happened to Mandels pledge to end homeless in 10 years? obviously he cannot do this if he is only around for half that time.

That was Stelmach. Not Mandel.

Nice try.

grish
27-12-2007, 07:38 PM
actually, Mandel did speak of ending homelessness within 10 years in his election platform. however, he admitted that such is a dream and that while he recognizes it was impossible, he was going to do everything in his power to come as close to eliminating homelessness as possible.

The_Cat
27-12-2007, 08:29 PM
I agree that ending homelessness is idealistic, but I think that Mandel has taken some steps in the right direction with respect to social policy, particularly with the affordable housing proposals.

I think that all levels of government have to be involved to end homelessness.

peeved
27-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree that ending homelessness is idealistic, but I think that Mandel has taken some steps in the right direction with respect to social policy, particularly with the affordable housing proposals.

I think that all levels of government have to be involved to end homelessness.

Proposals now that will magically turn into promises if he decides to run again(he's got to do something to keep the fish on the hook) then if he gets re-elected they will be proposals again.

grish
27-12-2007, 10:16 PM
in my books a proposal is much more valuable than a promise. I really don't get what peeved is trying to say.

JayBee
28-12-2007, 05:18 AM
I'm still looking for details myself, and I think we all realise how close to futile it is anyway, but:

- there is a lot more we can be doing with all three levels of our governments

- and at least trying is a sword worth falling on in my opinion. I don't know why it's taken a boom to make us wake up on it.

I think he should be held as responsible for this as he was for the "zero tolerance for crap (architecture)", and I hope he'll be as effective. It's only fair to expect, and hopefully this kind of action will bring civic politics a higher profile.

It's going to be tough in the midst of a boom. The only thing I could imagine working would being the greater encouragement of people to sublet their properties (renovated basements and garages) because that could potentially accelerate the supply of very entry level housing that could mostly harmlessly disappear as soon as the would-be tenants find something they could call their own. (In addition to increased funds for mental health care, of course, but that's got to be provincial.)

One thing that won't work is building publicly owned dormitories. It would just be a drop in the bucket that would become "insta-slum" as soon as the boom cools.

Anyone remember the issues experienced with basement suites in the last boom? That's a bit beyond me, but I got the impression it served the purpose well.

peeved
28-12-2007, 02:50 PM
in my books a proposal is much more valuable than a promise. I really don't get what peeved is trying to say.

A proposal or a promise for me they are both the same;I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have much faith in politicians I believe that they will propose or promise anything to get elected but (IMO) very few of them if any follow through;but that's just my opinion.

grish
28-12-2007, 02:59 PM
to me a promise is to get elected, but a proposal is an actual plan put forward for debate and discussion. a proposal is much more likely to become reality than a promise.

peeved
28-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Promises are broken and proposals rarely go from debate stage to completion stage, proposals always become campaign promises until the excuse for not following up is that the price has tripled since it was initially proposed.