PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone confirm the press kit used in Washington?

RichardS
17-07-2006, 11:26 AM
This is from Kerry's July 8th collumn...

Speaking of generosity - the provincial press kit used recently to promote Alberta during a festival in Washington, D.C. was very slanted to promote Cowtown, not Our Town.

The most glaring shortcoming was the fact the kit included separate brochures on "Calgary Attractions" and a colourful handout boasting about the University of Calgary. Unless I missed it, there was no brochure about Edmonton attractions or one touting the superior University of Alberta.

I can't imagine this Calgary-centric government will get any better if it winds up with yet another premier from there.

Was this the case? Did cities have to be on the ball and make their own press kits? Was this paid for completely by the province and they just did the Calgary Calgary Calgary thing again like Travel Alberta?

The same thing happened recently in the Journal. There was a travel insert that had ads from Cold Lake, a TON on Calgary, Vernon, Drumheller, other small Alberta/BC/Sask towns, but NADA on Edmonton. It also had nada on the GVA too...

JimR
17-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't know about the media kit, but there was probably an insert on the north in southern papers.

MylesC
18-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm not entirely sure at all. Someone at the EEDC should know this for sure.

Edmonton and the UofA had completely separate delegations there so maybe that helped get peoples' attention. The City of Calgary delegation was relatively late in being announced as opposed to Edmonton and the UofA who jumped right onboard.