PDA

View Full Version : No benefit from twinning with other cities

DebraW
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
No benefit from twinning with other cities

Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
Published: November 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Edmonton has gained nothing from being twinned to three other cities, says a new report.

"The city of Edmonton does not appear to have realized significant tangible benefits by participating in twinning relationships," says the report, which goes to council's executive committee next week.

Before the city enters into any more such twinnings, it needs to revise its 1992 guidelines to include ways to measure benefits that might come from the relationship, says the report from the city clerk's office.

Edmonton Journal 2007

Continue article:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=3a575ddf-bdcb-4cde-b34c-a7a134c93413&k=80244

- 30 -

Elk Islander
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
"Edmonton has gained nothing from being twinned to three other cities, says a new report."

How much did this report cost? Which consultancy agency was involved? And how can I get one of these contracts?

This is exactly the type of Mandelesque fluff that should be eliminated from City Hall!

Edmonton has problems here, in Edmonton, that need to be dealt with now, not in 40 years! Council needs to focus on running the city, not on Alice-in-Wonderland fantasies about being twinned with some new hot foreign and possibly pothole-free city.

ridgeman
01-11-2007, 05:19 PM
These twinning agreements have been in place for years. Much before Mandel become the mayor. So why would you blame him and furthermore calling him names "Mandelesque Fluff" is inappropriate. People that post to this site should get their facts straight before running off with the mouth.

DebraW
01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
As the portion I quoted says this report was from the city clerk's office and reference was made that the 1992 guidelines needed to be revised.

The term "fluff" attributed to any one mayor, councillor or even city department is incorrect.

The comment of "not in 40 years" comes from where?

This report and issue is dealing with the here and now.

Bryguy
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
In theory what sort of benefits might 'twinning' give us?
I have absolutely no idea what the concept is suppose to do.

kcantor
01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
No benefit from twinning with other cities

Published: November 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Edmonton has gained nothing ... says the report from the city clerk's office.

Edmonton Journal 2007

i could ask if this is information from the same reporter that couldn't or wouldn't differentiate between a downtown mixed use arena and a suburban sports stadium? :)

or wonder if not that knowing who the information came from would provide additional insight in assessing its crediblity or lack thereof. :) :)

but i won't. :) :) :)

lux
01-11-2007, 08:03 PM
someone was paid to think and write when they could have been shovelling asphalt into a pothole! calamity!

Chump
01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
"Council needs to focus on running the city, not on Alice-in-Wonderland fantasies about being twinned with some new hot foreign and possibly pothole-free city.

Well, of all the cities on the planet, I have to say that Gatineau-Hull, Harbin, and Nashville were my top 3 choices for new hot foreign pothole free cities. :wink:

You know, for 24K per year (not even close to peanuts), instead of dropping it maybe they should try harder. Or at least look elsewhere...twins should be pretty similar if you ask me.

Elk Islander
01-11-2007, 08:55 PM
You know, for 24K per year (not even close to peanuts), instead of dropping it maybe they should try harder. Or at least look elsewhere...twins should be pretty similar if you ask me.

Twin: One of two children produced in the same pregnancy and born during the same birth process.

So our single twin should be similar. It is obviously also time to start a campaign for "traditional twinning". Or should we describe these other cities as "multiples"?

If the current administration wants to avoid criticism on these issues, then maybe it should implement a procedure for preventing these stories from getting out.

MylesC
01-11-2007, 10:59 PM
What exactly costs 24k a year?

This is exactly the type of Mandelesque fluff that should be eliminated from City Hall!

Are you referring to the past twinnings, to which Mandel played no part, or this report?

Elk Islander
02-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Are you referring to the past twinnings, to which Mandel played no part, or this report?

Mandel has been lucky: there was no credible opponent in the recent election and he was thus able to avoid taking a fall for his perceived goofiness and lack of focus on real issues. He is now finally trying to articulate some ideas that might move the city forward. I think my point is that he has to be careful. Either this new start will work with the electorate and he will indeed have a legacy, or it won't, and his legacy will be merely his current image. This is why these reports should never have been commissioned, and certainly shouldn't have been unleashed on the press. Sure, this particular one is trivial and probably inexpensive. But I have heard of a number of "$300,000 studies" that coinicdentally made conclusions that were particulalry favourable to Mandel's position on whatever issue was being studied. It doesn't take long before some serious change has been expended.....

DebraW
05-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Local man wants city twinned with Mexican town

Published: November 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Peter Kertesz swears that if Edmonton twins with Chapala, Mexico, he'll personally ensure that the twinning works.

In fact, the former Millet resident has a lifetime appointment on a committee to help twin the small Mexican city with Edmonton. Kertesz, who retired to Chapala a year ago, is campaigning to get his new home twinned with Alberta's capital.

"The main thing that this municipality right now can offer the Edmonton and Alberta region is people," said Kertesz, who retired to Chapala a year ago, in a phone interview today. "We have many bilingual Mexicans here that are just dying to get up there on those two-year federal government work visas."

...more

Continue Article:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=5365762f-23b1-4c8a-8ace-14da1cee96c1&k=47499

DebraW
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Councillors nix bid to take on Mexican twin

Published: November 07, 2007 2:49 pm

A retired Albertan has failed in his attempt to get his new hometown in Mexico twinned with Edmonton.

City council's executive committee heard a pitch over long-distance speaker phone from Peter Keretsz to link our city with Chapala, a region in central Mexico popular with retired Americans and Canadians.

In the end, councillors agreed with Mayor Stephen Mandel that the twinning wouldn't be worth the staff time and energy it would take.

...more

Link:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=630f7347-3f4d-4944-aea6-a84069924584&k=56610