PDA

View Full Version : river-valley tours by cable car

grish
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
just as i thought my brilliant ideas well has dried up this little gem appeared:
install a large cable-car loop spanning the significant portion of the river within city limits with the purpose of allowing tours of the river valley by air (unlike canoe, it could be operational year-round and you can return to your point of origin!) this idea is cheaper than others to install, it will not require any roads through the valley, it will allow access to Ft. Edmonton, the Zoo, Muttart Conservatory, Louise McKinney, Shaw conference, Hotel MacD and the rest of downtown, the Legislature Building, Kinsmen, the Royal Museum/ Government house and some of the world's best views. We always speak of promoting our river valley--here's our chance! The cable cars may dip down to river-level in some places to allow passengers to get on/off, and it can soar to the top of the river banks (top of the high level for example) to get a better view and, again, to get people on and off.

DebraW
07-07-2006, 10:47 AM
West-end residents embrace $12.6-million footbridge
New route across river pleases regular users of valley paths

Amber Shortt
The Edmonton Journal
Friday, July 07, 2006

EDMONTON - Jacques Sirois crosses plenty of bridges on his daily cycling along the river valley. And he can't wait to hit another one.
"Ideally you want these bicycle/foot bridges every few kilometres if you want to enhance the use of the valley," Sirois, said Thursday as he rested at Rio Terrace Park.

The city decided Wednesday to build a $12.6-million footbridge over the Saskatchewan River, connecting the west-end Oleskiw and Brander Gardens neighbourhoods.

The city will contribute $4.2 million from its 2005 surplus toward the project. For the plans to go ahead, the rest must come from a federal and provincial government grant.

"It's $4 million well spent," Sirois said. He said the trails in his hometown of Quebec City and in Montreal are often congested with bikers. He doesn't want to see that happen in Edmonton.
"The more bridges the better. It's one more way to make our beautiful valley more accessible to people."

Jenny VanKempen, a student at the University of Alberta, said the footbridge will make her cycling to school in the fall and spring a bit shorter. The closest bridge is Quesnell Bridge, roughly five kilometres east of her home near Oleskiw.

The Quesnell Bridge, which crosses Whitemud Drive, is often crowded with joggers and has glass and road debris at the ends, said Brad Humphreys.

"Anything that would take some of the pressure off that (bridge) would be great," he said. "It will split some of the traffic."

But Sharon O'Reilly and Claudette Goh, two friends whose neighbourhoods would be connected by the bridge, think the money would be better spent elsewhere.

"I'm not sure it would warrant $4 million," O'Reilly said.

"Spend it on roads," Goh said. "Get the potholes out of here."

The footpath would also make Westridge, a small community sheltered between ravines, more accessible. William Miller, who lives in the area, thinks some residents may be upset over a loss of privacy.

"A lot of people don't know about this part of town, and I think a lot of people like it that way," Miller said.

But Doreen Burke, who lives just down the street from Miller, said she's not worried about an increase in visitors to the area.

"Anything that makes the community more walkable I'm certainly in favour of," Burke said.

She said when she first bought her house 27 years ago, she was told a footbridge was going to be built in the area. But plans changed and it was never built.

Though Burke said the bridge is a good idea, she thinks the price may be too steep when other areas of the city could better benefit.

"That's a lot of money that could be used elsewhere," Burke said. "I know the schools are crying for money."

If the application for a grant is successful, city officials said construction of the bridge would begin in mid-2007 at the earliest.

[email protected]
The Edmonton Journal 2006

DanC
07-07-2006, 11:02 AM
SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT POTHOLES YOU SMALL MINDED MORONS...sorry.

KC
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah - just go out and buy a fat-tired SUV.

The pot holes are pounding the heck out of my car with its low profile-tires but our SUV handles them well (another a case of cutting the city budget but heaping even higher costs onto the resident population.)

Titanium48
07-07-2006, 02:52 PM
The pot holes are pounding the heck out of my car with its low profile-tires but our SUV handles them well (another a case of cutting the city budget but heaping even higher costs onto the resident population.)

Why do carmakers insist on putting 50 series tires on new cars? The only time they help anything is on a racetrack or a trip down a mountain road going far faster than you should be. Sure, the 80s cars with 155/80R13 tires handled a bit like hockey pucks, but a set of 175/70R13 would fix that quickly. Anything lower than 60 series on a street car is overkill.

grish
07-07-2006, 02:56 PM
hmm...what do people think of the little cable-car thingy? surely they will be cheaper than a few funiculars. oh and I am in favour of that foot bridge idea...

KC
07-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Awhh - but see - potholes really do matter. :-)

The tourism option would be a fantastic way to highlight our key attractions. So, yes, excellent idea.

(As a skier I always wondered why they couldn't be used here for an as the crow-flies, direct-line, over-the-valley option for general transit. There's a great link on the idea somewhere else on this site.)

A tourist loop however sounds like it would be a lot more fun to ride as compared to the simple A-to-B aerial bus route option - this might get a lot more public buy-in as well.

IanO
19-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Results from yesterday's online poll
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * The Edmonton Journal
Published: Wednesday, July 19, 2006
The Journal's Scott McKeen has jumped on the funicular bandwagon. He thinks an inclined railway in the river valley would be great. What do you think?

- 42 % -- Fantastic idea

- 58 % -- Dumb idea

There were 419 votes.

To vote in our online polls, go to www.edmontonjournal.com

The Edmonton Journal 2006

KC
20-07-2006, 07:07 AM
The problem with surveys (like committees) is that people don't have to suggest anything themselves. Or actually think before answering.

Ask people if they want tax cuts and most will say yes - ask them if they want another $400 cheque (the same thing as a tax cut) and they'll give a different answer.

However, maybe to that 58%, it's a solution looking for a problem. Or a solution that will mostly serve a special group and not everyone equally. Would better placed parking lots and bus stops do the trick?

grish
20-07-2006, 12:49 PM
so, funicular does not get support. what about the cable car idea?

RichardS
20-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Voila - a cable car C2E poll

DanC
20-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Since I said, "No, I have a better idea" here it is: Trolley system. DING DING, anyone on board?

grish
20-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks RS...

grish
20-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Since I said, "No, I have a better idea" here it is: Trolley system. DING DING, anyone on board?

It doesn't allow for the vertical accessibility to the river and back up to the downtown level. otherwise, in toher thread people argued that it would be a great way to tie and promote the downtown core--making a trolley loop circling downtown, oliver, and maybe even including downtown east and 107 ave. but that is another thread:
downtown trolley loop (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23//url) phew, it feels like we talked about it only yesterday, but it is waaaay back on the third page. time to clean up/ remove double threads :)
and one more on ft. edmonton train: run train downtown (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272//url)

DebraW
14-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Edmonton unveils $60-million downtown development plan

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 | 4:11 PM MT
CBC News

Edmonton civic leaders unveiled on Wednesday an ambitious $60-million redevelopment plan for the east end of the city's downtown.

It includes a park that is 4 blocks long, running along 96 Street from 103-A Avenue south to Louise McKinney Riverfront Park in the river valley.

Around the park will be developments, including new housing that takes into consideration historic buildings now standing along Jasper Avenue and the large number of seniors and the area's social housing.

A tram would shuttle walkers up and down the steep riverbank leading to the McKinney park.

The project has been more than two years in the planning and Mayor Stephen Mandel said Wednesday it has his full support.

"This will not be easy and will not be very cheap either, but I think it's very important to realize how absolutely critical this is for the growth of our downtown. This project will bring to life again a part of our downtown that for too long has sat dormant."

The city's share of the project is expected to be about 10 per cent of the total cost, with the rest coming from developers.

The mayor says Edmonton will easily recoup its investment from the new tax dollars the projects will generate.

The report which is called Downtown East Project - Creating a Vision was created by StastnyBrun Architects after a five-month consultation.

The report will reach city council on Sept. 26.

--30--

grish
14-09-2006, 11:36 AM
this is a great start, but it is not quite what I was proposing. i am talking about being able to get on the cable car at the Leg and riding it, say, west to the Government house, and then on to the Valley Zoo, and then on to Ft. Edmonton, and then loop back around along the South river bank to the University and Kinsman, then further on towards the Ski hill and Mutart conservatory, cross the river to connect to L McKinney park and back to the Leg. that is sort of the proposal I had in mind. We can have trams going up and down in places as well.

amanzano
18-09-2006, 06:41 PM
okok..cable car through the river valley? not a bad idea but I would start it further back into Louise McKinney Park. With the potential Jasper East going strong, it'd be best to siphon people from there to keep this going. The biggest concern would be whether enough riders would be available to keep this viable. Of course cost will be an issue...i personally wouldn't pay much to ride something like this.

grish
18-09-2006, 10:08 PM
yes, in my proposal I say that the cable car would return through Louise McKinney. it is supposed to be a closed loop, so the starting point is as uncertain as the starting point on a circle :wink:
as for price of a ride--it is for a tourist and something can be worked in to include the price of admission to the attractions on the way--Muttart Conservatory, the Zoo, the Royal Alberta Meuseum, Ft. Edmonton Park, etc..

KC
16-02-2012, 05:53 AM
I posted this on another thread... Just cross referencing
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=1050

Gondola possibility for Calgary is up in the air
http://www.canada.com/Gondola+possib...512/story.html

KC
29-10-2013, 08:12 AM
One more cross-reference link...
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14910

On this idea I thought this might be fun to further think about:

Maybe consider an integrated system using two gondola systems, one on either side of the downtown. I was thinking that an integrated system designed primarily to gather people along the river valley and take them downtown might provide great year round recreational and shopping, dining opportunities. And in keeping with this thread's vision, it would also allow Edmontonians to exit along the way at various river valley parks or paths up the bank to access the UofA, Whyte, the Convention Centre, etc.

Say along the river valley, the City built a series of bicycle parking lots, winter one-way skateways down some lightly sloped ravines, maybe a bus drop off at sites like below Gov't House, etc. combined with a gondola crisscrossing the river valley picking up people from either side at various drop-offs and paths could then take a lot of people downtown to a funicular.

Yes, it's half-baked. Any further thoughts of how a future integrated system might pan out?