PDA

View Full Version : anti Edmonton Olsen voted back in (minority) in the Park

Brentk
15-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Just saw that the two canidates promising better relationships with the Edmonton region took most of the votes in Sherwood park 2/3rds! But at just over 1/3rd the vote the dread Cathy Olsen still 'represents' us in Sherwood Park.

Oh I wish she knew how much she is disliked. I heard here interviewed on 630 ched. She said she has never left the table in talks with Edmonton. Exactly what were those big flare ups last year that lead to her exited meetings?

ugh...

The_Cat
15-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Cathy didn't win by much, and I think that voters in Strathcona County sent a message to her. 60% of Strathcona County voters did not vote for her. Had Jewell and Lesniak not split the vote, Cathy Olesen could have lost.

I think regional cooperation is something she can no longer ignore.

JayBee
15-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I hope you're right, The Cat.

The_Cat
16-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I hope you're right, The Cat.

JayBee, I think changes are on their way. However, I think it will be evolutionary.

I wonder how the breakdown was by ward. Was most of the pro-Olesen vote concentrated in certain wards?

SteveB
16-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Also living in the park this one almost makes me cry. Either of the other 2 candidates would have been 100 times better, which was exactly the problem.

My guess is 6 weeks before the local rag leads with "Olsen tell Edmonton to get lost" type header. :x

Ins
16-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Also living in the park this one almost makes me cry. Either of the other 2 candidates would have been 100 times better, which was exactly the problem.

My guess is 6 weeks before the local rag leads with "Olsen tell Edmonton to get lost" type header. :x

I'm curious though, besides rheteric what was the difference in the candidates isssues on regional cooperation. They all want cost sharing vs. revenue sharing. Brent Jewell said they would not send tax dollars from S. County into the region without cost sharing accountability. Ken Lesiak thinks the whole thing is a wash. We all know the mayors viewpoint.

I think it would have been good to have someone different in since the relationship is poisoned between the two mayors but I'm not convinced we would see any real differences.

Brentk
16-10-2007, 07:43 AM
A person like Ken Lesniak would have tried to resolve issues. It is almost as though Cathy looks for fights.

SteveB
16-10-2007, 08:07 AM
A person like Ken Lesniak would have tried to resolve issues. It is almost as though Cathy looks for fights.

Exactly, both Ken and Brent made it clear that they want open dialogue with Edmonton....Cathy will only go through the motions.

RichardS
16-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Good question Ins. What was the sole difference as I didn't really get a sense for it. This race alone was why we tried so hard to see if we could get the region involved in the electoral forum, but given the software limitations, it just became too bulky.

Given that Mandel was a shoe-in, maybe a different speaker would have changed the tide. Now, I just don't know how it will move forward, if at all.

It is, of course, an interesting slpit in the vote which does suggest that voters in the county really are looking at their options. It could also suggest that there were 3 good candidates. ;)

Time will tell. I will remain optimistic that things will improve. Call it post election hangover...

Ins
16-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Good question Ins. What was the sole difference as I didn't really get a sense for it. This race alone was why we tried so hard to see if we could get the region involved in the electoral forum, but given the software limitations, it just became too bulky.

Given that Mandel was a shoe-in, maybe a different speaker would have changed the tide. Now, I just don't know how it will move forward, if at all.

It is, of course, an interesting slpit in the vote which does suggest that voters in the county really are looking at their options. It could also suggest that there were 3 good candidates. ;)

Time will tell. I will remain optimistic that things will improve. Call it post election hangover...

I think it was three well known and respected candidates that caused the split. I agree with the posters above that the tone of dialogue would have changed but not sure the results would have.

In any event there is no question now that a solution will only be found through the province. (Richard, than we can argue over who got the better deal :)

Blueline
17-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Maybe Gene Zwosdeskguy can come to the rescue?

snakes on a blog
17-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Maybe Gene Zwosdeskguy can come to the rescue?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... seriously, you're joking right?