PDA

View Full Version : Chamber calls for tax cuts

DebraW
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Chamber calls for tax cuts

The Edmonton Journal
Published: AUgust 02, 2007 1:09 am

Re: Provincial government's pre-budget consultation.

Former American entertainer Will Rogers said, "Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do."

Recently, the government of Alberta asked Albertans to participate in a pre-budget consultation, which can be found at www.budgetconsultation.alberta.ca. This is a great chance to have a say in what the politicians are to do.

During elections, individuals cast the ballots. Business, while playing a pivotal role in the economic health and sustainability of our province, often has a minority voice in the voting process.

We feel the business community has a critical role to play. Who better to provide informed and principled long-term advice to our government on the setting and managing of financial priorities than those who do this on a day-to-day basis?

The Edmonton Chamber of Commerce's mission is to create the best environment for business. As such, we have developed a policy, Maintaining the Alberta Advantage Through Fiscal Responsibility, which will be the chamber's submission to the budget consultation.

Overall, the policy makes 13 recommendations. These are a blueprint for prudent fiscal management, as articulated by members of the Edmonton business community. A few examples include:

- Restrict "one-time spending" initiatives to fiscal and environmental emergencies, and eliminate all other unbudgeted spending powers;

- Reduce the general corporate income tax rate and personal income taxes as a means of maintaining the Alberta Advantage;

- Save revenues gained through the development of non-renewable resources;

- Implement a long-term plan to provide responsible, effective, efficient and sustainable municipal government services; and

- Develop a tax strategy to create incentives for scientific research and development through the provincial tax system and explore other mechanisms to promote more value-added activity in Alberta.

I encourage everyone in the business community to take this opportunity, and to help the chamber create the best environment for business, by participating in this budget consultation process.

The long-term health of Alberta can benefit greatly from your involvement, your experience and an informed perspective.

Greg Christenson, chair, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce

The Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

snakes on a blog
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
We feel the business community has a critical role to play. Who better to provide informed and principled long-term advice to our government on the setting and managing of financial priorities than those who do this on a day-to-day basis?
I almost fell off my chair when I read this :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, when doesn't the Chamber or other business orgainzations call for tax cuts????

dwells
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I almost fell off my chair when I read this :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, when doesn't the Chamber or other business orgainzations call for tax cuts????
They do!

- Reduce the general corporate income tax rate and personal income taxes as a means of maintaining the Alberta Advantage;

Rebar
02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Most self-serving piece of tripe I've read in a long time!

lux
02-08-2007, 08:55 PM
All of Angola has lower taxes than Alberta. Oh yeah, let's line up for that one....

kcantor
02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Most self-serving piece of tripe I've read in a long time!
the chamber's policy made 13 recommendations. the article mentioned 5 of them. you seem to be taking issue with the one that says "reduce the general corporate income tax rate and personal income taxes..." look at them all before you pick one to pick on. the chamber does not have a "secret agenda" and does not pretend to be anything but what it is. quoting again from the same article, "the edmonton chamber of commerce's mission is to create the best environment for business". revisit the rest of the recommendations and see if they aren't consistent with much of what is called for on many of c2e's threads - more government accountability and controls on spending, additional fiscal responsibility with one-time resource revenue, additional support for the provision of municipal services, encouraging scientific resarch and development and value-added activities in alberta. the chamber is pretty representative of local small business interests. just because they work hard on their mission for those "business interests" does not make those interests or objectives bad for everyone else. i for one would rather have the chamber represent my interests that brad pitt and jane fonda.

and lux, maybe if angola adopted all 13 recommendations, it would be a better place to live and work.

capital-city-crusader
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I cannot agree more with kcantor! Its intersting to me that the recommendation to cut taxes gets all the attention, when there are so many other good recommendations there! The fact is that if the government were to run like a good business, taxes would already be much lower and the chamber would not have to call for tax cuts!!!! If you consider the public to be the government's shareholders (the government is supposed to work for our benefit) than we should all be very upset with the fact that the governments refuse to pay us our dividends (read cut taxes) since they (at least provincially and federally) continuously have surpluses.

At the end of the day, the Chamber plays a huge role since there are propably 20 left wing lobby groups trying to influence governments for every one right wing lobby group. Rather than citicizing the chamber for trying to get people to give the province input on their budget, you should take their advice and fill out the province's pre-budget submission!

Its much easier to criticize than to participate - but that doesn't make it right!

DebraW
03-08-2007, 09:32 AM
^ Thank you for your comments.

Welcome to C2E too! :D

Dusty Bear
03-08-2007, 09:53 AM
At the end of the day, the Chamber plays a huge role since there are propably 20 left wing lobby groups trying to influence governments for every one right wing lobby group.

That's only slightly overstated. I would estimate that it's probably a little more even than that. Regardless, the provincial government is more inclined to listen to groups like the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, the Fraser Institute and Canada West than it is the Parkland or Pembina Institutes.

But back to the main topic, I think most of the Chamber's recommendations are headed in the right (no pun intended) direction. I wouldn't put tax cuts as a top priority, as both the provincial and federal government have already reduced or are committed to reducing business taxes significantly.

Although any personal income tax cuts are welcome. :D