PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton offers mail-in ballots for the 2007 Civic Election

DebraW
05-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Edmonton offers mail-in ballots for the 2007 Civic Election
Voters encouraged to order now, if needed

Edmonton, July 5, 2007

It will be easier for Edmontonians to cast their ballot in this fall’s Municipal Election. For the first time, mail-in ballots will be available to people who are out of the city on Election Day, October 15. People who are not physically able to get to their voting station, or who are working at the polls on Election Day may also use the service.

“We want to make it as convenient as possible for Edmonton voters to cast their ballots, and the mail-in service is one way to do that,” explains Steve Thompson, Director of Elections.

Voters can request a mail-in ballot by calling 496-8008 or visiting www.edmonton.ca/election. Ballots will be produced and mailed after Nomination Day, September 17, when all candidates are confirmed.

Also new this year - all voters must present identification. Voters casting a mail-in ballot must include a photocopy of their ID when they return their ballot package. An Alberta driver’s license, an Alberta Health Care Card or a passport are all acceptable forms of ID. For other alternatives voters can call the election office or visit www.edmonton.ca/election.

To ensure a secret ballot, voters will be provided with separate envelopes for their ballot and ID. They will return both in a package to the Election Office. Returned ballots will be accepted at the Election Office (16304 - 114 Avenue) until 7 p.m. on Election Day, October 15.

The new mail-in option is in addition to several services for voters that the City of Edmonton offers. Once again, advance polls will be open for the two weeks prior to Election Day, excluding Sundays and Thanksgiving Day. At-home voting will be available on request for people who are physically unable to get to their voting station, and voting will be available in seniors’ homes and hospitals.

- 30 -

DebraW
05-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes, these changes are long overdue.

DebraW
05-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Civic voters can now mail it in
You can vote from away, but will need ID to vote here

Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com
Published: July 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Edmonton residents who expect to be away during the Oct. 15 civic election can now put in their order for a mail-in ballot.

City officials officially launched the new program today, saying they expect a few hundred snowbirds, out-of-town students and employees, and election workers will take part.

"(They) are one more option to ensure every citizen in the city of Edmonton has the opportunity to vote," director of elections Steve Thompson told a news conference.

People can request the material by calling 496-8008 or visiting www.edmonton.ca/election. Ballots will be sent out a few days after the Sept. 17 nomination day.

They must be returned in their Canadian-postage paid envelopes by the time polls close.

In another change, all voters must produce identification to vote this year, so the ballots must be accompanied by photocopies of identification such as a driver's licence, passport or Alberta Health card.

The service, which will cost $30,000, is open to soldiers from the Edmonton Garrison, but Thompson said military staff have indicated that with less than a month for the city to send out ballots and get them back it won't be available to personnel serving overseas.

Calgary experienced numerous irregularities with mail-in ballots during the 2004 election.

The province has changed the rules so that this year people can only order a ballot for themselves, as well as requiring a copy of ID, in hopes of preventing further problems, Thompson said.

Residents who won't be free on election day can also attend the advance polls that will be open for most of the first two weeks of October or ask to cast a ballot at home if they are physically unable to reach a polling station.

There will also be polls set up in seniors' centres and hospitals.

[email protected]

© Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--

DebraW
05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
I am good--I beat the Edmonton Journal in posting this information!

24karat
05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Good on ya! You ARE good!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/TVNewsman/Smileys/trueconfirmed.gif

DebraW
05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
:oops:

lux
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm in favour of "accessible voting" in case of disability, but I am not in favour of "convenience voting."

People need to make a bit of an effort.

DebraW
05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm in favour of "accessible voting" in case of disability, but I am not in favour of "convenience voting."

^ Yes, I agree they should/MUST make an effort. Problem is far too many don't.

I exercise my right to vote in every civic, provincial, federal and even when I was in post-secondary (to be fair I was on Students' Council so not voting would have just been wrong on so many levels) but I am in a sad minority.

What did impress me during the last federal election was how many of my fellow students (who were all at least half my age) were excited and eager to vote for the first time.

There was a really good group that was around at the time entitled "Democracy is Sexy" and I hope to see more initiatives such as this in future elections (on any level).

This is the Democracy is Sexy website which is out of date but the banners on the site are worthwhile to check out and the cause is still relevant. http://www.democracyissexy.ca/events.htm

DebraW
10-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Edmonton soldiers get mail-in ballots for fall election

Mon, September 10, 2007
By Sun Media

Edmonton soldiers serving overseas will be able to cast ballots in the municipal election after all.

City clerk David Edey today said a deal has been worked out with the military to get mail-in ballots to personnel who will be away on election day – Oct. 15.

“The military has worked very closely with us to make arrangements to get the ballots out,” Edey told Sun Media.

Earlier this year, city officials said soldiers in Afghanistan would not be able to vote because it would be impossible to get the ballots there and back in time. But some military personnel took exception to that.

Edey said the military is letting soldiers aware the option is now available to them.

This is the first time the city has offered mail-in ballots.

Ballot packages will be sent out after an official list of candidates is available on Sept. 17 – nomination day.

In order to be counted, ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Oct. 15, according to information provided by the city.

Edey said so far there have been about 100 requests for mail-in ballots, but he’s not sure how many of those requests have been made by military personnel.

Voters who are physically unable to go to a polling system or will be out of town on election day can also request the ballots.

Edey urged anyone who wants a mail-in ballot to request one from the city as soon as possible by contacting the city’s election office.

-30-

snakes on a blog
10-09-2007, 08:28 PM

many people, like myself, get sent out of town with work with little notice and may not have the opportunity to vote on voting day. it would be nice to be able to vote ahead of time to ensure your vote is counted.