PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Spotted in River Valley

The_Cat
25-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Black+bear+spotted+Edmonton+river+valley+eludes+Fi sh/11165793/story.html

Kitlope
25-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Calgary gets Moose. We get Black Bears. Good stuff.

Medwards
26-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Calgary also gets cougars... and not just those that head the stampede.

Edmonton PRT
26-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Black+bear+spotted+Edmonton+river+valley+eludes+Fi sh/11165793/story.html

Looks like he needs a good belly rub...

Paul Turnbull
26-06-2015, 09:32 AM

We've had cougars before as well.

I expect we get bears more often than people know, this one just happened to be spotted in the social media era.

Edmonton PRT
26-06-2015, 10:01 AM
We are in their habitat. Leave them alone and let them live.

Medwards
26-06-2015, 10:58 AM

We've had cougars before as well.

I expect we get bears more often than people know, this one just happened to be spotted in the social media era.

We certainly have a lot of cougars here. Found in many of the drinking establishments up and down Jasper avenue.

I've seen bear scat in the mactaggart sanctuary before. they are around for sure. I've also seen my share of coy-wolves/coyotes/wolves and lots of deer in the river valley. This time of year is most common time to see bears, as berries are starting to come out, and for most of spring, their food sources aren't so plentiful, so food over weighs fear of human activities.

JJMorrocco
26-06-2015, 11:29 AM
^ ahhh, epxect the SMRT ones to start leaving food out for these 'helpless' animals now.

I'm more concerned about the 100's of homelss people that take up residence every summer in the river valley. I've stumbled upon several, no bad exerpiences yet, but some with addictions or mental instability you never know what you might encounter, such as hte police officer ealrier this week.

Medwards
26-06-2015, 12:44 PM
^ I witnessed bylaw evicted a homeless camp below saskatchewan drive this spring, and seen new ones pop up in millcreek ravine.

JJMorrocco
26-06-2015, 12:58 PM
The one last year on YHD just west of cloverbar bridge looked more like a long weekend party than a homeless camp. Good job on the COE keeping them out so far this year.

Top_Dawg
26-06-2015, 03:26 PM
^^

Yeah,Top_Dawg noticed that there's a bunch of homeless people that spend their nights down in that park below Sask. Drive ( Queen E Park ? ).

And during the day the same bunch all hang out on east Whyte between H2O and Strathcona Hotel.

Komrade
26-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Good job on kicking them out of the parks! Now if they would just stay in their ******* shelters or in the alleys and my park experiences wouldn't need to be ruined by their struggle!!

Medwards
27-06-2015, 08:52 AM
^ are you talking about the bears?

Drumbones
27-06-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm just packing up. SonnyBoy and I are heading out to the coast for a few days. Maybe I will get a picture of a black bear along the way.

metro
27-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Good job on kicking them out of the parks! Now if they would just stay in their ******* shelters or in the alleys and my park experiences wouldn't need to be ruined by their struggle!!

Maybe they can come and hang out by your place?

Komrade
30-06-2015, 03:32 PM
^
Sometimes they do! Some even stay the night! Oh the horrors!!

expat
30-06-2015, 09:31 PM
I kind of side with...

...but still find this post really funny.

^ are you talking about the bears?