PDA

View Full Version : Two more join civic race... both in Ward 2 !?

DebraW
18-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Two more join civic race

edmontonjournal.com
Published: Monday, June 18, 2007

A city union official and a community worker have announced they intend to run in the Oct. 15 civic election.

Dave Loken, liaison representative for the Coalition of Edmonton Civic Unions, is making his second attempt to win a seat in Ward 2 after campaigning unsuccessfully in 2004.

The 42-year-old Griesbach resident wants to reduce tax hikes by seeking a long-term sustainable funding formula with the province, and also feels the ward has fallen behind while money for major transportation projects such as the LRT have gone to other parts of Edmonton.

Long-time community worker Shelley Tupper plans to be a candidate in Ward 2, where she will push for more support for police, better road maintenance and sharing services with surrounding municipalities.

Tupper, 47, has been president of the Kensington Community League and the Area One Council, and has served with the Neighbourhood Watch Society, the Neighbourhood Patrol Society, the North Central Community Health Council and the Community Services Advisory Board.

© Edmonton Journal 2007

--30--

DebraW
18-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Now I know both (I only served on a committee with Loken so not well) but Tupper I know from several other endeavors (political and community).

But Ward 2...come on... Ron will need to be found with an underage goat and the entire Albanian Midget Men's Olympic team to be unseated after all these years of serving Ward 2 and as for Kim let's just say she has been very politically savvy and has been involved on some very high profile causes. Whether or not that will help her (NextGen is not a big a deal to most Ward 2 constituents) will remain to be seen but historically it is next to impossible to unseat an incumbent unless there has been gross malfeasance.

Transportation and the lack of long range planning (especially viable solutions) are the issues that will occupy most Ward 2 constituents.

How they grade the two current alderperson’s will be known on Oct. 15, 2007 but let’s just say I would be extremely surprised if there is any need to take new pictures for this ward.

RichardS
19-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Remember, they're councillors, not aldermen//women/people/things/carbon-based-fleshy manifestations created in an anthropomorphic deity’s self-image. ;)

…and as for gross malfeasance, isn’t there a pill for that?

Seriously though, Ward 2? Why????

DebraW
19-06-2007, 08:59 AM
^ :lol: .

Ward 2 is where Shelley and Dave both live but still...

Dusty Bear
19-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I don't know Tupper, but Loken's a good guy. I voted for him last election.

But Hayter and Krushell are doing a good job and I don't see any reason to replace them. He's going to have a tough time trying to unseat either of them.

DebraW
19-06-2007, 10:02 AM
^ Don't know if I would go as far to say that Hayter and Krushell are doing a "good" job...adequate job but neither has distinguished themselves to me as a constituent of Ward 2 this term. Granted Ron has done LOTS for the Ward during the years but this term he has been coasting more than I would have liked and Kim being a rookie (who made significant reference to her experience in the civic arena) has been eerily quiet this last year other than the odd “sound bite” and then usually to join a chorus already sung by the Mayor or other Councilors IMO.

I have a resident concern before Kim at the moment how she responds (if she does…) will help shape my decision on Oct. 15.